Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

When Owen died, they once again had the world's easiest undeserved layup, but because Bret was a heel in their plans and THOSE PLANS WILL NOT BE CHANGED, they once again kept him off TV intentionally.

Nah, this one isn't at WCW's feet. Bret had groin surgery in April and was supposed to be out a couple of months, and when Owen died, he extended his absence to deal with that. Bischoff sat down with him in June to get a feel for where he was and to invite him to speak on Nitro if he felt up to it (which he did), but Bret stayed away from wrestling until he felt OK coming back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Goldberg kicked him in the head in December 1999 but he kept wrestling until January 10, 2000.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

OK I'll take the L on that one. I was relying on the Death of WCW (which I re-read recently) and I guess that was one of the things they just got wrong in the book.

Death of WCW doesn't get it wrong.

quote:

Bret disappeared from TV for a while, in part because he had to undergo groin surgery that would keep him on the shelf for several months. Ultimately, nothing became of the angle, but for once, Bret’s absence wasn’t WCW’s fault, and this time, the reasons behind it were devastatingly tragic.

It is a fairly common mistaken belief, though, and the book's attitude toward WCW stupidity makes it very easy to think it's the source of that belief.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I mean, I think most agree he was a great heel? It's just he and the nWo didn't realize, as bad guys, they had to eventaully lose.

Hold on, it sounds like you didn't realize that Hollywood had creative control, brother. Even though he basically didn't have to use it, because everyone knew Hollywood was best for business.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Sometimes I wish a match existed on tape somewhere even if I have no intention of ever watching it. I just would like to know its existence can still be proven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

I also don't know how many CWF arena shows were actually taped in a way that would have been kept. The TV show focused on the Sportatorium tapings, and while they did broadcast some arena stuff, it's all way before my time so I have no insight into how much or how often.