Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Norman Smiley was one of my favorite wrestlers for reasons really unknown to even me after I first watched a match where I think he was just jobbed out. The combination of the name, the fact that he was smiling for most of his match and then when he started doing ridiculous dances and hamming it up - it just 'worked' somehow and made the guy really likable.

Disco Inferno was also hilarious for reasons that have already been mentioned. I must have missed the angle with Scott Norton and The Cat but it sounds pretty drat funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Great clips, thanks for posting those. I love the look on Norton's face that said "What? I don't have time to destroy some jobber right now. Oh god drat it. Alright, be right back."

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wait - Norman Smiley is still employed with a wrestling company.. and its WWE? Awesome.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Skinty McEdger posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0COYJyPqI8c

The entire terrible match from Superbrawl 2000. The knife incident happens at about 6 minutes in.

Haha, Abbot carrying the guy on his shoulder up the turnbuckle then botching it was great. "The strength of Tank Abbot is unbelievable!" (Abbot then drops the guy from the top turnbuckle onto the floor on accident) Along with the announce team taking shots after the "You hosed up!" chants as well - followed by a long crowd shot trying to mask the fact that he pulled a knife on the guy. 2010 TNA is getting so close to the madness of WCW 2000.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MrBling posted:

I have a little treat for you (if you like Norman Smiley)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw1CW01CNRg

Awesome, thanks for posting this. Hearing the announcer say "The Hardcore Wiggler" and "He went to the wiggle too early!" was worth watching it alone. Heenan was pretty weak on commentary during this match, which is rare. Also - Smiley was on a Superbrawl ppv.. against 3 count?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That match posted on the last page with Steiner dominating four cruiserweights was great. I can just imagine how injured or semi-injured all four of them were after being tossed around by Steiner for a few minutes.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Fucken_Gieux posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jh2dtPO3d4Q

The match in question.

Haha, I love the commentary at the beginning. "This has to be one of the stiffest tests yet for Goldberg."

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Buff Bagwell was the guest on today's Figure 4 Daily. Buff was REALLY drunk during this interview and Bryan did not seem very happy about this interview. So if you have a WO/F4W subscription and want to hear Buff make an rear end of himself for 20 minutes, check it out.

That guy is never going to get his poo poo together, is he?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I was re-reading The Death Of WCW book recently and its hilarious how similar the situations with the dying days of WCW are and how TNA is currently.

Hogan pulling his ratings tricks (Making sure he's in the highest rated segments, blaming ratings on the workhorse midcarders), Russo pulling his excuses and same old bullshit (citing burnout, needing to relocate, blaming everyone and everything but himself), Bischoff being brought in to bail water out of the sinking ship (he was fired from WCW at one point and brought back to try to save it), Ted Turner shoveling money into the company blindly because he was a wrestling mark until he was taken out of power and couldn't bail them out anymore (Which Dixie is currently on step one of), blowing money on talent that won't help ratings, not advertising PPV's at all in advance or even giving a match listing and then complaining about buyrates, hotshotting belts until they mean nothing and no one cares who has them and so many more. The fall of WCW really is nearly exactly where TNA is currently at.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

At this point I have to believe that someone is behind the scenes in TNA reviewing old dirtsheet stories and tapes from WCW and trying to re-create it as closely as possible.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

whatsabattle posted:

Jericho also once got a royalty check for $0.00 and a Fed Ex package with nothing in it.

Oh WCW. I miss you.

Maffew has started a new series, the BEST series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mX8fOqsC8kw

Great intro - and it was strange seeing Eddie almost kill Jericho with a botch and then nearly lose a match to the ring apron.

Edit: Holy poo poo - one of those matches was a tag match that involved:

Jim Neidhart
British Bulldog
Curt Henning
Brian Adams
Rick Rude (manager)

Only one of them is still alive. That is depressing.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 25, 2010

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I guess I'm missing why.

Edit: Unless you mean Neidhart is on his way out.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 25, 2010

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lamuella posted:

He bodyslammed Andre The Giant with The Giant sitting on his shoulders, like a MasterBlaster gone BlasterBlaster

In front of 1.3 million ticket buyers, brother!

I love that the story changes every time he tells it. I laugh harder after every interview its mentioned.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Moose Bigelow posted:

There were 340,000 that night in the garden for Nash brother.

Hulk Hogan press slammed a (then) 1200 pound "Dear Leader" Kim Jong Il in front of 3.8 million screaming North Koreans, Mean Gene!

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

On paper Uncensored 1997 sounds like a decent lineup. It included:

Dean Malenko v Eddie Guerrero for the U.S. Title (20 minute match)
Ultimo Dragon v Psycosis
Glacier v Mortis
Harlem Heat v Public Enemy
Team nWo (Nash, Hall, Savage, Hogan) v Team WCW (Luger, Steiner, The Giant) v Team Piper (Piper, Benoit, Jarrett, McMichael) in a triangle elimination match

1998 looked alright too, including:

Booker T v Eddie Guerrero for the TV Title
Juvi v Konnan
Jericho v Malenko for the Cruiserweight Championship
DDP v Raven v Benoit in a triple threat match (Which was a fantastic match and probably the only one I've seen from an uncensored PPV)
Bret Hart v Curt Hennig
Sting v Scott Hall
Hogan v Savage in a cage

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Interesting trivia that I didnt know:

quote:

The Blacktop Bully defeated Dustin Rhodes in a King of the Road match

This match was taped days earlier outside of Atlanta, Georgia and was heavily edited, due to their no-blood policy at the time. Rhodes and Bully were fired for blading during the match.

Goldust got Daniel Bryan'd before Daniel Bryan existed.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I was going through some old Nitros recently and came across an odd little episode where Raven's Flock surrounded the ring to get at Benoit or something.... and then suddenly Finlay comes running out of nowhere, beats the poo poo out of Benoit and then leaves.... and the Flock are just kind of standing there like,"Why the gently caress did Finlay just do that?"

One of the best parts about being a WCW fan during that time was that the wrestlers at any given point in time were probably just as confused as the fans about what the hell was going on.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I've never understood why people blame Sid's winning streak on WCW as bad booking and them trying to pass it off as real. As it was said a few posts before this one they kept saying how ridiculous his streak was and that he was more or less making it up as he went. At the time I thought it was hilarious and I totally "got" it. Of course the streak wasn't real, and Sid was just being Sid (in character and in the storyline) and adding losses as wins and inflating his own score just to make his case for being Goldberg's opponent. The whole angle was pretty funny in the same absurd way that Jericho naming off a list of his 1004 holds was funny.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

I mean, I get that they can't essentially do a 10 hour Ken Burns style documentary, and they're basically selling to a niche portion of their fanbase. But they spent so much time talking about stupid poo poo very quickly, and they glossed over so much, even the stuff that would have made WCW look bad! Where was GAB 91 & Starrcade 97? How do you make a WCW documentary without those? How was Russo's segment like 3 minutes?

JR mentioned in a recent interview (or blog I can't remember the exact source) that alot of the documentaries that include bits on WCW are gonna be a bit wonky because WWE now owns WCW and doesn't want to 'devalue their own brand'. So take that as you will about why they aren't as harsh on WCW's really stupid decisions as they should be.

The book written on the lunacy in WCW and it's fall by the wrestlecrap dudes was a pretty good read if you've never read it. It goes into detail about all that stuff.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Battle Royals are my favorite types of matches and I'll watch just about any of them. One ring, three rings, seven rings - I'm there. World War 3 was awesome. I agree on the mini screens though, those sucked. I would have rather them just focus on one ring and if an elimination is missed then show it in a quick replay.

I watched an FCW battle royal recently and enjoyed it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I dunno, maybe the clusterfuck aspect of them is why I really enjoyed them in a way. With The Royal Rumble you have everything so planned that it feels like you know who is going to eliminate who at alot of points and because it's booked so tightly most times it comes off feeling a little too planned - if that makes any sense. I guess one of the reasons I really like battle royals with a ton of wrestlers everywhere is not knowing what the hell will happen and guys getting eliminated left and right and in weird ways. I like both methods, really.

One strength The Royal Rumble has over larger battle royals is that the guys each get their own entrances and that creates the excitement of hearing your favorite wrestler's music hit and then watching the fresh guy clean house. That kind of thing is missing from the larger ones.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Mar 11, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Which would be fine if it wasn't for realizing 5 minutes after the fact,"Oh hey, <Wrestler X> got eliminated at some point I guess, we just didn't see it and nobody ever mentioned it."

I agree - it definitely takes a production team and announce team that can come together to keep things focused on the eliminations and not just whatever one or two key guys they want to get over that day. Make each elimination feel like a big deal and at least show replays and have them comment on it.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Perry Normal posted:

I'm not sure this ever happened at any time in the entire existence of WCW.

I'm not sure it did either - but it would have helped people enjoy it more that weren't battle royal marks like I am.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Monkeycheese posted:

did nitro get pared back down from 3 hours a week towards the end?

If I remember right it did and that was yet another contributing factor to it being killed off by the network. I think I remember something about them being upset that it was one less hour for them to sell advertisements or something. I could be wrong though. The death spiral of WCW is filled with so much bullshit that it's hard to tell what is truth and what isn't.

That and you've got WWE releasing documentaries about it that leave a lot of things out.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I love that Jimmy Hart even now wears his Matthew Lesko-esque crazy jackets and looks completely normal in them.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

That's all assuming that Vince's "Only gonna show what I want people to see" and other various WWE fuckery doesn't come into play. Being the petty old man that he is they'd probably only show the poo poo that makes WCW continue to look bad or stuff from guys that are still employed with or retired in WWE.

And Benoit. That'll cut out a good percentage of the good matches there as well.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

I'm torn between the commentary on this match. The four guys in the ring (La Parka, Silver King, Ciclopse and Damien 666) are trying to put on a good hardcore match, but Tenay and Heenan are having the biggest giggle fit I've ever seen during a wrestling match.

It's like NXT, but somehow worse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BksvEZ1o6ps

It sounds like they're already goofy from all the stupid poo poo that happened before that match on that episode at the beginning so it's probably one of those instances where you just say 'gently caress it, how much worse could it get?"

That was a really fun match that I'd never seen before so thanks for posting it. Some crazy luchador chair shots going on there.

That spot where LaParka powerbombed Damien into two setup chairs that had no give at all looked brutal.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Jul 14, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Do you know who really phoned it in? Lee Marshall.

Did he ever do anything other than those WCW road reports? I can't remember.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Flameingblack posted:

WCW was definately putting on the better undercard matches in terms of wrestling. DDP/Raven/Benoit from Uncensored is one of my all-time favorite matches, and there were a ton of great curiserweight matches between all the out-standing talent they had there.

Unfortunately there was also poo poo like a Jerry Flynn match on seemingly every Nitro.

I still have no idea why they had like 160 guys in the back yet Jerry Flynn got screen time every week. And all the Konnan matches. Jesus christ, the Konnan matches. He was terrible and had a match almost every week as well.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

triplexpac posted:

I just bid $5 on ebay for an autographed photo of Glacier. I'm sure it's fake, but it's still real to me dammit.

I'm still mad that I was too late to bid on that autographed Norman Smiley trading card that went for like 2 bucks.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Were they trying for a replica of the Raw Titan tron with that?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

blunt posted:

Nothing in the WCW games will ever match the sheer WTF-ness of WCW Thunder's dance mode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHY7WAfEMtI

I love the thought of a group of people actually having to work those animations into a wrestling game.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Captain Charisma posted:

Goldberg "sandbagged" a Jackknife Powerbomb, which the commentators chastised him for. He leaves the ring and screams gently caress YOU at Russo, who is on the stage.

Nash beats Stener with the Jackknife and the commentators laud Steiner for being a team player and going up for the powerbomb. :downsbravo:

Does the actual incident exist on youtube? I can't find it.

I found the aftermath: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FS8ksd5jFNI

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Thanks for tracking that down Matlock.

That's loving bizarre. "What are they gonna do now, improvise?" Was all of that nonsense a work? I must have either blocked the Russo Era of WCW out of my mind or just didn't keep watching at this point.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Astro7x posted:

wwf.com/wcw has an article up on The Demon

http://www.wwe.com/superstars/wherearetheynow/where-are-they-now-kiss-demon

Norman Smiley is the best.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lamuella posted:

Sid's streak was hilarious. It would grow and sometimes shrink without explanation during the course of a single show.

Definitely. At the time it seemed to me like it was a tongue-in-cheek kinda thing and I was really into it. Sid was just crazy enough to make it work and to have it toe the line of serious and wacky.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Aug 29, 2011

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Is it bad that I remember all these?

http://us.wwe.com/inside/wcw/forgettable-wcw-competitors

Just now saw this posted here after I posted this link in the picture thread but my MSW fandom aside Maestro had one of the most elaborate entrances ever. He rode a goddamn piano though the sky in his own room as he played his own theme song.

Even before getting into MSW and discovering he was still an active wrestler I had always remembered his entrance and ringwork and thought he was pretty rad. He was booked really poorly but could go in the ring and his feud with The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Iaukea was entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSczk4lLVEU

And in typical WCW fashion at the end of their match you have Jeff Jarrett hitting both of them with guitars with no god drat reason.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Disorderly Conduct is a great choice for that list because I literally have no memory of them ever existing even after seeing a photo and I loved WCW back in the day.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Hirams Bitch posted:

Proof that Maestro is terrible: Carlisle is a fan.

Proof something is great: You usually whine non-stop about it.

This game is stupid.

Edit: I just now remembered your terrible posts in the Johnny Blast Q & A thread. You really hate that people actually enjoy MSW here don't you? Haha.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

:(