Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
That Nitro is up on YouTube.

Cena was never this hated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
HOGAN SUCKS
HOGAN SUCKS
HOGAN SUCKS
HOGAN SUCKS
HOGAN SUCKS

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rodney the Piper posted:

There was the time he came back from his broken neck and got naturally babyface support. Of course, :russo: lead to a swerve where he turned heel a week after he came back or something.

(I know this story's been talked about on this site before, but I just love the story so much)

I actually remember liking that whole story. Especially because it made it clear that you are nWo FOUR LIIIIIIIIFE.

It certainly didn't make me visibly upset like Curt Hennig turning on the Four Horsemen did (even though Hennig set himself up as a free agent who could go anywhere he wanted to and was totally courted by the nWo before taking Arn's spot BUT THAT WAS ARN'S SPOT HOW COULD YOU CURT :argh:)

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1ZL8wC8czg

"Lex Luger is terrified of skeletons!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Claytor posted:

I'm still surprised La Parka never pulled, like, a one-day world title reign.

Be still my beating heart.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30AWtU-qar4

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Q_res posted:

That was the one with Stifler and Christopher Walken.

And Kino from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It went through three name changes didn't it? I think it was also called Helldorado.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Even better was Slamboree 2000 which was held at the Kemper Arena almost a year to the day after Owen's death. Kanyon was thrown off the three-tiered cage to the floor at the end of the show and the commentators acted as though he could be dead, complete with a "Wrestling may be fake, but this is real folks" tone.

I agree it was loving tasteless by Russo because you know in his brain he was believing that dot connecting would lead to ratings but people bitching about commentator tone is just silly to me. As if there's a tone that means the same thing as a referee doing the X signal.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LordPants posted:

The other funny part was Dave saying that "even the Claw could get over." :smugdog:

Also, RVD said that WCW wanted him to be Glacier. I kinda... Kinda wish that would have happened. He's got the charisma to pull it off maybe.

He totally would have pulled it off and that Karate Masters/Mortal Kombat/Blood Runs Cold thing would have suited him perfectly.

They needed more characters to play off each other. Mortis is a Skull Man. Glacier is an Ice Man. Wrath is an... Evil Man. You need more Mega Man villain archetypes. RVD could have been Blaze Man to fight Glacier.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
La Parka was a mystery. He was this fat skeleton who was always forced to wrestle in Crusierweight matches just because he was Mexican when he was clearly too big for the division. So he made the most of it by dancing like a mofo, bringing a steel chair to the ring and just being the most fun a wrestler could possibly be without saying a single, solitary word.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cZtuwjdPJU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Bischoff said in the rise and fall of WCW (Or maybe it was legends of wrestling) that he low balled Luger hard to convince him not to come to WCW but Luger still accepted the offer.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

It sounds like this is a mix of fact and fiction. They lowballed Luger at first and wanted him just as a JTTTS, but after Vader got suspended him his leverage improved and they brought him in as more of a main guy.

Was there even enough time to decide that? Wasn't Luger going from WWF to WCW like a weekend decision?

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I also love Controversy Creates Ca$h for very different reasons.

The best story in the whole book was the first story about attacking a bully from behind because he knew he was leaving Michigan.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Pillman at one point planned to show up to a Madison Square Garden event, jump the rail and challenge Shawn Michaels to a fight.

Pillman was also the original Social Media wrestler as he used to post on AOL all of the time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Gonzo McFee posted:

What a depressing and fascinating read. A real pity that the thing that saved his career would ultimately be the thing that killed him. :smith:

Strange that all the segments from Brian Pillman that people remember as amazing never drew ratings. Like wrestling fans have an aversion to things that are objectively entertaining. Probably why they're wrestling fans in the first place.

It isn't so surprising when "critically acclaimed" television shows tend to get cancelled due to low ratings.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

That Pillman story is extremely fascinating and depressing. I did get a chuckle out of Joey Styles being disgusted at the "Loose Cannon" angle after Pillman took a poo poo on a living room floor.

When you remember back to the Pillman DVD where Brian pulled Ross from the booth just to show him how big of a poo poo he took it really makes you wonder about Flyin' Brian.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

The Dave piece kinda takes it out of "Pillman was a genius" territory and places it in "Pillman took method acting three steps too far and went insane just because he wanted Lex Luger money." With the shittiness of the business doing the rest.

From the outside it seems like a series of deft maneuvers, but it seems to owe mostly to Eric Bischoff, and really most people with decision-making power in wrestling, being total idiots. Not to say Pillman wasn't clever, but he didn't need to be that clever to run circles around the business. He ran on fumes for years and kept himself in the game by, at the core, being really annoying. Think about that. No one in wrestling was mature enough to see through that. This is about the carniest it gets.

If you're in a stupid business and you take advantage of said stupid business you're still a genius in that business.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Monkeycheese posted:

I'm reading that Pillman thing and holy poo poo Meltzer's writing sucks nuts.

Greatest sports journalist of the 20th century!

:downsrim:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iG_YvbcEDo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZcHEDZhY0

Also saw someone post how they won a game on the ECW Hotline and their prize never came.

Paper Jam Dipper fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Mar 20, 2013

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

My friend called a wrestling hotline once and he said it was a complete waste of money and got to hear some pre recorded message from Scott Hall I think. I can't believe people actually called those things.

Oh yes they did, along with the Nintendo Power hotline and 1-900 sex talk lines.

Pre Internet we did all of the stupid stuff we do now only it cost more money and now we can do it anytime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Thauros posted:

IIRC it was free but a long distance instead of a 1-800 number? I remember it cost my parents in some way so I was only allowed to call on a few occasions.

Yeah, people sometimes forget how loving gouging the phone companies were back in the 80s and 90s about long distance calls.