Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Captain Charisma posted:

I've heard the guy's a total oval office who has let his fame from his lovely show go to his head.

He accused John Cusack of being jealous of his new found fame. Cusack. The guy who Piven probably owes more than anyone in the industry. He would have never had a career playing 40 year old men when he was only 30 due to his male baldness if it wasn't for Cusack getting him casted in just about every movie he was in.

But I digress...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Skinty McEdger posted:

Remember at the time there was a huge buzz about how this was the best ladder match since HBK and razor at WMX. It becomes more of a joke when 6 months later the Hardys and Edge and Christian reinvented the match at No Mercy.

Are you sure you're not mixing this up with Benoit/Hall Ladder?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Awesome, some dude on youtube posted a retrospective of Warrior's WCW run.

As much as Beefcake tries, he'll never be as shiny and golden as Hogan :(

One must wonder if Hogan constantly pitched Hogan vs. Beefcake in the WWF and they were only able to do it in WCW with Zodiac.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TL posted:

I remember hearing that the Texas Tornado was the Warrior because the original one died. That was one of the big urban legends of wrestling when I was in second grade.

Picture the tassles, neon and face makeup.

I'm not shocked people thought this rumour was true.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

LividLiquid posted:

David Lunch loving sucks.

So WCW, right guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIs3PEhOwIs

"That was like James Bond."
"Man... I'm so drunk."

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Free Market Gravy posted:

Amen. I went to a concert once and there was a opening band. They were talented enough, but the music was just very out of place. Regardless, they were energetic as poo poo, clearly loved performing and were as into it as you could possibly be. 5 songs later, this Australian pop-punk band earned a crazy ovation from a room full of rockers and metalheads.

Conveying your enjoyment for what you're doing is unbelievably important.

They went on to be called AC/DC and are still going today.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

coconono posted:

According to DDP.

His other accomplishments:
giving Raven his gimmick
giving Stone Cold his gimmick

Every loving body knows the story to Stone Cold's gimmick.

Raven... eh it could be true.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DJExile posted:

Being the subject of an awesome loving video. The powerbomb into Diamond Cutter on Eddie at 1:25 completely rules too.

All Eddie.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Eddie must have been on the mat wondering, "What the gently caress is he doing? Pin me!"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Sionistic posted:

What would of been great is if they could of had a longer match, where eddie keeps countering the cutter over and over. So ddp eventually just thinks "how the hell can i hit the cutter on him, I know, he would never expect that poo poo from a powerbomb!"

It would be on the second attempt, because Eddie would never think "He won't Cutter me here", more, "He won't try to cutter me from here AGAIN"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

TL posted:

Case in point: Hogan-Warrior 2 and DDP-Goldberg were the shame show.

Except PPV viewers never got to see DDP vs. Goldberg

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

coconono posted:

the promos were decent for getting heat. The fact that they kept pushing Luger over and over and over and over and over again absolutely blows my mind, tho.

- Sting's best friend
- Familiar with WCW and WWF fans
- WCW was never going to be smart enough to just buy out contracts for guys they would no longer need and let them rot somewhere else

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

coconono posted:

-absolute disaster in the ring
-had to be carried to passable matches
-made Scott Steiner seem more mobile

- All things you listed really don't matter to most bookers or promoters when it comes to talent

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Davros1 posted:

WWE also tried the grunge gimmick. Anybody remember Louie Spicolli as "Rad Radford"?

Metal - Man Mountain Rock
Country - Double J Jeff Jarrett
Hip Hop - Mabel and Mo, M.O.M.
Grunge - Rad Radford
Gregorian Chants - Friar Ferguson

Am I missing anyone?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Pneub posted:

Dance/Techno - Alex Wright

WCW had their own Top 40

Techno - Alex Wright
Disco - Disco Inferno
Hair Metal - Van Hammer
Latin Hip Hop - Konnan
Loverboy Fan - Lenny Lane
Ayatollah of Rock and Rolla - Chris Jericho
Country - Bobby Duncum Jr., Kendall Windham, Barry Windham and Curt Hennig
Rap - Whoever was in No Limit Soldier. SWOLL.
Post Punk? - The Misfits
Worst poo poo Ever - Insane Clown Posse
Grunge - Raven
Air Guitar - Hollywood Hogan

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lone Goat posted:

Ahem.

Sorry, forgot about my favourite WCW jobber ever.

ECW had a Top 40 as well:

White Rap - Public Enemy
Rap Rock - Kid Kash
The Beatles - Blue Meanie
Acoustic Ghetto - New Jack
Trance - Al Snow w/ Head

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

In the sense that he works backstage for WWE, yes.

He was pretty much also the only good Armstrong, although Steve could have a good match now and then.

All of the Armstrongs could work to an extent. The least wrestling able worker was for some reason the most charismatic. Weird how it works that way. I guess he couldn't chain wrestle so he focused more on good cornrows and white rapping.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EricCrapton posted:

The rap vs. country battles in WCW were gold. It first established that country music is heel and rap music is face. Then Barry Windham, Curt Hennig and two other guys discovered their inner country roots and formed a country band, so that they could battle some WCW minority wrestlers and random guys from the No Limit Soldiers. And since WCW was still very southern, despite how they tried not to be, I am pretty sure the WTR ended up much more popular than the No Limit guys. Wrestling fans I talk to today still remember the Rap is Crap song, which was way too catchy to be considered heel.

It played on country music stations.

Truth is, the feud would have been great if WCW was quick enough to see that the No Limit Soldiers looked, acted and felt like a heel stable while the West Texas Rednecks were just plain easy to love. Curt Hennig, a Minnesotean Texan was just too good in the role. Plus they had nobody on No Limit who could compare to him in the ring.

Had Master P been a celebrity heel trying to get under Hennig's nails like Kevin Federline, it wouldn't have been such a loving disaster. Instead, they try to get over some guy name Swoll's heart punch.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
We need a thread filled with nothing but great old Observer quotes. Add the Torch too if anyone has those lying around. tOA used to bring up some funny quotes all of the time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MrBling posted:

At least WCW was fun while also being completely nuts, rather than just not making any sense.

Here's the problem. Back when it was terrible, nobody called it fun. Then it was gone, and years later watching it is like watching The Room.

Some people want TNA to go out of business so somebody else can take a crack at "Number two supremacy". I don't. There might not be another shot. So enjoy the shittiness of TNA.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

EricCrapton posted:

People are still talking about that Goldberg/Regal match? You'd think this was the biggest thing loving ever in pro wrestling, with the way the Internet has blown it out of proportion. To me, it falls into the category of "It's not nearly as big of a deal as you think it is" like Katie Vick and the Fingerpoke of Doom.

The problem I felt is that Steve Regal made Goldberg look like a million bucks in my eyes. Goldberg was pulling out moves I've never seen him use and it made it look like Goldberg could adapt to any situation. Then it ended with a massive spear and Jackhammer like every Goldberg match. When I saw it, I was way more impressed with Goldberg. Then I read it was a shoot or something and Regal got fired for it. I was loving confused.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Quick, someone find out the next time Booker T does an autograph session.

Or better yet, we need to find out how much Booker T costs for a wrestling show.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
From the Wrestlingfigs site:

quote:

Despite just returning from injury and generating huge reactions from the crowds, Russo and Bischoff turned Goldberg heel. This was done because they had hyped up a major event, which was supposed to be the company SFX promoting their shows in future. As it turned out SFX actually offered to buy the whole company and Turner shot it down. Bischoff now had a problem because he had hyped something and needed an answer. He turned the only legitimate draw the company had left, heel. Fans were not happy and threw garbage into the ring. Attendences fell some more almost instantly.

Which SFX company is this? The sci-fi magazine, the music promotion company now owned by LiveNation or the Super FX chip suddenly alive?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

I'm pretty sure everything Russo's ever booked counts as a "gently caress Up."

The only thing I thought he did right, Lance Storm's push, was all Terry Taylor. The moment it went downhill was when Russo went, "WOW, YOU DID GET HIM OVAH, LET ME HANDLE HIM NOW TERRY"

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

triplexpac posted:

God I'm posting a lot about Russo. But anyway he says his justification for putting the belt on Arquette was that the title meant poo poo at the time, so who cares. The company was in the shitter and he needed to do something to get people talking about WCW again. Something to make the company worth talking about, like the WWF. So he put the title on Arquette.

It got WCW a lot of mainstream press actually, like mentions on entertainment shows. Courtney Cox even shot some sort of big promo video with David on another show with the belt, for free.

He says that even today he'd do it again, because look at us, we're still talking about that one WCW title change 10 years later. Of course we also talk about other horrible things today, it doesn't mean they were good ideas.

That's the problem though. "Talking about something" doesn't mean it drew. It also doesn't mean it was good for business.

People still talk about the Atari 2600 "E-T" disaster, but it doesn't mean that's a good thing.

It was also Vince Russo himself who helped put that belt in the shitter and helped put the company in the shitter. Putting the belt on Arquette did more damage to the company. The mainstream press did not equal higher ratings.

This is one of Russo's biggest shortcomings. If people talk about you and they are saying, "WCW is loving stupid. They've ruined the company putting the belt on a lovely actor. I'm not watching them ever again", THAT'S NOT GOOD BUSINESS. If you're getting mainstream press because you made a stupid decision, THAT'S NOT GOOD BUSINESS.

It's amazing because if there was one man who from Russo's booking days could have saved WCW, or at least got them out of the gutter, it's Bill Goldberg. And he was so badly mis-used. So badly.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

Well, WWE's has/had some main event level luchadores, but I don't think any puro worker has progressed past midcard.

The biggest problem is that the best Puro wrestlers like to go back home to collect a big paycheque. WWE would have to pay them more than what they'd get working in Japan. Because of this, they never really get talent that deserves a major push. The two guys who ever got the best pushes as Japanese talent are Tajiri and Haukushi.

The other problem of course is that most top Japanese wrestlers look pretty plain. It's hard to say that a guy like Kawada stands out until you see him work, and how many guys in the WWE would work Kawada's style? I know many have the dream of seeing Kobashi vs. Undertaker, but I doubt anyone in the audience would buy into Kobashi here in North America in an arena bigger than 1,000 people.

I do know the WWF had big interest in Tenryu back in the early 90s and always pushed him when he made appearances. Great Sasuke was supposed to be the first Light Heavyweight Champ but got injured. Aside from that, I think the one guy who should have crossed over but didn't was Kensuke Sasaki. He's built like a tank, can work a great power style, can sell for a big man and it'd mean you could have pulled Akira Hokuto out of retirement to beat the living gently caress out of Divas. Ahhh...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
WCW is the only company that could have successfully pulled off a "Wake up Eric, it's 1998. It was all just a bad dream" trope. Everyone would have bought into it.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dario Delfino posted:

I would argue WWE treated them more like a joke than WCW, however I admit I'm looking at it through nostalgia for my teen years. I just liked seeing wrestlers I'd never seen before, from other countries, and being impressed by them. You don't get to see stuff like the 8-man tag match from Souled Out '98 on cable anymore.

Here's the issue.

WCW from like, 1987 to 1998 unquestionably used international talent better than the WWF. Even better than ECW. WCW loved to use Lucha, Puro, Euro, etc. to add spice to their shows. They also had Sting vs. Muta as pretty much their main program in the early 90s. Hell, they once had a PPV that was split WCW, split NJPW. Add in all of the Mexican wrestlers they brought in, how well they treated Ultimo Dragon, Liger coming in, etc. it's without question that WCW treated the foreigners better.

Then Vince Russo came in and Eric Bischoff started caring about what the Mexicans were doing, meaning he was willing to gently caress them right up (I do give him a pass when it comes to Rey Jr. Bischoff truly thought that Rey would be more over because he was an attractive guy, so he felt he could sell even more with Rey's face than Rey's mask. Was he wrong? Yes, but if it was Black Tiger and having to unmask him into Eddie Guerrero, he'd be correct for doing it).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

Sooooo, remember when WCW brought in Bret Hart and proceeded to kill any and all heat he had coming in? I sure do.

Are you injured Bret?

No?

Okay cool, we're gonna make you a REFEREE.

Yeah!

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dario Delfino posted:

As much of a fan as I am, I couldn't stand him during his WCW run. Besides bad booking, he was so depressed and demoralized, most of his performances were crap. I can't blame him for phoning it in, but it was rough to watch. I can only think of a few matches with DDP, Sting, Benoit, and Malenko off the top of my head that weren't that bad.

He was bitter after the Screwjob and WCW did absolutely nothing to give him that would make him passionate about the business again.

Bret Hart should have come into WCW like a blaze of glory, as the only non-WCW guy to take on the nWo head on and try to destroy it. He should have been picking it apart one by one on his way to take down Hollywood Hogan. People back then still looked at the nWo as the WWF, not so much as it being a shoot but a work. Instead, WCW in 1998 didn't know what the gently caress it was supposed to do. So Bret waddled basically as a "special attraction".

One of my favourite matches with Bret from WCW was actually Bret vs Luger for the US Title. I think it was on Thunder. It's a really good match where Luger put on his working boots for maybe the last time of his entire career. Bret also had a good match with Booker T while in WCW.

I think if WCW gave Bret a reason to work hard, he would have worked hard. They really never did. So he phoned it in and they gave him storylines that made it easy to phone in.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

DannoMack posted:

Didn't Luger make Bret tap out to a boston crab in that match?

No, that was the match the very next week. Or prior. Can't recall if it was a Crab.

WCW feels like a drug haze.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Volcano Style posted:

That was during Steiner's 'I will do whatever I want because no one is punishing me for anything' phase. He'd skip steroid tests and go unpunished, got suspended from shows with pay and was in line to be WCW Champion right around the corner anyway. This was also a couple of weeks either before or after he'd gone out and cut an unscripted promo about DDP having a vagina or something and the two got in a fight backstage. Again, Steiner went unpunished.

I thought the fight was because Tammy got busted for drugs, it was Kimberly who ratted her out, Steiner gave Kim poo poo for it, DDP tried to defend Kimberly and got his rear end kicked for it?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This site is optimized for 640x480!

Anyone under the age of, oh, 19 on Wrestlehut needs to goto their multimedia site and see how "old people" used to watch stuff on the internet.

The only thing worse would be the videos being RealPlayer.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Dario Delfino posted:

I submit no other promotion had better jobbers than WCW.

Jerry Flynn actually wrestled Bret Hart the night after his concussion against Goldberg.

As for WCW jobbers, I actually thought High Voltage had potential.

The greatest thing about WCW jobbers though is that Mike Enos and Rick Fuller were unlocked in the game WCW/nWo Thunder by beating it with certain guys (Roddy Piper for Enos, Alex Wright for Fuller). Ric Flair, on the other hand? He had to be unlocked via code/Gameshark and had no special moves. He was a throw in, along with the "Inland Crew Bonus Wrestlers" such as Zoomie, Sleep Dopep, Dude Man, Wrestling Matt, Veal and many... many others.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lamuella posted:

man, what a great loving gimmick, and so well played. And of course they did absolutely nothing with it.

You cannot blame WWE on this one. Sean O'Haire couldn't cut a single promo without cracking up laughing. They gave him several weeks of house shows and off camera promos to try to transition the character from rehearsed vignettes into an on screen character and O'Haire just kept busting out a big smile. Even the promos he did on screen he kept smiling. They then tried to push him by putting him with Piper and that didn't help.

It'd be better for WWE to just do the character over again with a different wrestler.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I just realized that Sean O'Haire's promo on taxes kickstarted the Tea Party.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Lamuella posted:

Does anyone else remember this? Did I imagine it? Why in god's name would Hacksaw Jim Duggan have been given a push in the year 2000?

It was silly to give him a push in '94 (When he beat Austin for the US Title) let alone 2000. Hacksaw isn't the guy you give belts to. He's the midcard attraction you use to pop a cold crowd in the first hour of a house show.

That said, Hacksaw had friends in high places and was always known as a nice guy.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

“You will never ever, ever, ever, ever see the Japanese wrestlers or the Mexican wrestlers over in American mainstream wrestling. I’m an American. If I’m watching wrestling here in America, I don’t give a poo poo about a Japanese guy. I don’t give a poo poo about a Mexican guy. I’m from America, and that’s what I want to see.”

The worst part of that opinion is that wrestling, even during the days when Russo was a kid watching Bruno in the WWWF, always made tons of money having people wanting to watch foreigners as evil heels. Evil heels make money and people want to see the foreigners versus their homegrown natives. It's what made Japan's wrestling boom and what made many companies in many different eras.

Russo never really clued into that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Bruno Sammartino was a foreigner. A huge part of his appeal was that he is an Italian immigrant. A face does not have to be home grown, he simply needs to have a connection to that audience.

Good point.

Bret was popular everywhere as a Canadian. Same to Jericho and Benoit. Russo looked at Eddie as a Mexican even though he was from Texas, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
I felt that while you could compact the history of ECW into one DVD set, you couldn't with WCW. There was far too many history. It should have been broken into four DVDs:

Rise and Fall of WCW Part I: The JCP Years (82-88)
Rise and Fall of WCW Part II: The Turner Years (88-94)
Rise and Fall of WCW Part III: The Monday Night War (95-98)
Rise and Fall of WCW Part IV: The End of WCW (99-01)

Even then I'd consider breaking up Part III into two parts.