Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Considering what a number of you have said about how WCW was great and just had a bad period in 2000 was a decent company the rest of the time, I kind of believe the opposite: that WCW was a pretty lousy company that two or three good years around 1996 and 1998. Before that, you had JCP, which lost a ton of money and was going to go under before Turner bought it out. You had Herd, then Watts, both who were jokes close to the level of Russo. The hiring of Hogan (WCW's alleged big coup) after the big steroid scandal and lovely movies he produced was extremely shortsighted; and his reception was lukewarm at best, with Bischoff having to pay people to attend the big welcoming parades at Universal Studios or wherever. THE ALLIANCE TO END HULKAMANIA.

Finally, the signing of Scott Hall and Kevin Nash ignited the best years in WCW via the start of the nWo (an idea Bischoff stole from Japan) that also coincided (something I don't think can really be ignored) with WWF's damage caused by the steroid/sex scandal. While nWo was great in the beginning, it went on way too long and also ignited the very real problem of the old guys running the show and getting terribly excessive contracts. The end of Bischoff's reign as a successful booker came about probably around the time that he told his wrestlers he would sue Ric Flair out of the company for not attending some shows. After that you have 99, Russo, and so on...

In other words, WCW may not have been as terrible as it was in 2000, but it sucked...a lot, like the OP suggests. It was more of a hot period for a weak company that capitalized on the changing times/disillusion with post-scandal WWF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Jerusalem posted:

I thought that this was what everyone WAS saying? That apart from a couple of golden years, WCW was pretty much always terrible? I thought they had some good years very late 80s and maybe a year and a bit in the early 90s, but they were dreadful most of the rest of the time, hit a high note roughly around 96-98 and then careened off of a cliff after that?

You're right. I was assuming when I wrote that people were saying it was loads better than TNA in that it was a legit company doing good things and being a threat to WWE the entire time (with exception to 2000).

Funny story about WCW, I didn't get into wrestling when all my friends were really into it, say the school year of 98-99 (I thought it was fake, so I'd rather watch football or hockey), so I couldn't join in on the discussion. I finally started to watch it in late 99 to see what the fuss was about, and since I knew most people talked about WCW I started watching that, but when I would go to school to talk about it everyone was switched to WWF and teased me for watching WCW...:sigh:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
What never made sense to me is, in fact, Lex Luger. He was primed to be the next Hulk Hogan in WWF after the Hogan departure, but wound up not having any charisma so Vince didn't know what to do with him. He winds up going to WCW and appears on the first Nitro, which apparently was a big deal to WWF and Vince. However, at least to my knowledge, he still sucked in WCW and is one of those jokes on the level of Sid, Khali, and Warrior.

WCW I tells ya.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Finally got my hands on a copy of The Death of WCW, and I gotta say, WCW's fuckups were just as bad before Bischoff showed up. The company was doomed to begin with if it weren't for Turner's wallet.

Does anyone have any footage of the cage match for the title at some pay per view debacle between Sid Viscous and random Flair replacement after Flair left for the WWF? The one where the crowd totally poo poo on the match and chanted "WE WANT FLAIR!" a bunch.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Volcano Style posted:

Barry Windham vs. Lex Luger, Great American Bash 1991.

gently caress, Luger, not Viscous, my bad.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Moose Bigelow posted:

Chris Jericho's action figures were set so that when they were bought, the receipt would say either "Sting" or "Hogan". They subsequently got the revenue money for the sales.

http://wfigs.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=classicwrestling&action=display&thread=102800

I read about that. That seems to be the hardest thing for me to believe just because of the lunacy of it. But then again, WCW, so I don't know what to think.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The summary of the Luger/Sting beach match has me curious about the Flair Vampiro side in the ring, which is barely covered. So did the audience attendance just get to watch these basically chill out in the ring or something? How long did that Figure Four last on Vampiro?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Hog Wild 96 had a poster/video cover of Hogan in his Hulkster costume while he had already been Hollywood for about a month. In fact, that was the PPV where he won the belt. I know the posters are done months in advance, but you think they could've had a little more insight then that.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Wouldn't that have blown the nWo reveal?

Also, Hog Wild was a free show for bikers, presumably bikers who knew little about wrestling and WCW. I'd say a poster with Hogan on it is probably the best bet.

Yeah but the video cover had it too, that came out presumably well after the PPV

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Is 200,000 copies of a video game sold good or bad?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Deadpool posted:

Let's slapjack some fruit booties!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byeiOBmtqxo

...Did DDP give Stevie Ray his Championship shot?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DAS Super! posted:

Ah the good ole Jimmy Hart treatment.

Jimmy Hart as in that Jimmy Hart, right? The loud mouth of the south?

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Astro7x posted:

I'm up to Uncensored 1997 right now. I can't believe all the stipulations they just throw onto the main even during the PPV itself that aren't even advertised.

The promotion on Nitro goes from
-Team nWo vs. Team WCW w/ Piper as captain.
-Team nWo vs. Team WCW being Piper and his 3 jobbers
-Team nWo vs. Team Piper and 3 of the 4 Horsement
-Oh wait, there is a WCW team too of The Steiners and Giant/Luger
-And if Piper wins, he gets a cage match against Hogan. WCW wins, all the belts come back to WCW (Whatever that means), and if the nWo wins they can compete for any title at any WCW event at any time.

Come the PPV, it's revealed that if WCW wins, not only will all the titles be stripped from the nWo, but they nWo will be banned from competing for 36 months. Um, O...K... guess WCW isn't wining this thing. Also, it's an elimination match where 3 people start in the ring, and then after 5 minutes a team member joins until all team members are in the ring, and people can be eliminated by going over the top rope, knock out, submission, and pinfall. WTF?!? And one of the Steiners got taken out in an ambulance earlier in the PPV, so WCW is down a man, but they don't know if they'll have a replacement.

And then The Horsemen don't help Team WCW eliminate the nWo, and instead fight each other. So that Pipe can get a cage match?

I just read about it on Wikipedia, and it sounds like the most confusing booking. nWo goes on to eliminate everyone but Lex Luger before a single nWo team member is eliminated. Luger then goes on to knock out half the team, but loses before he can take out Savage or Hogan. Naturally, Hogan scores the pinfall.

I know the nWo revolutionized the business, but I don't see how poo poo like this would fly today. That main event sounds like it sucked rear end.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Akileese posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4m7LnCd9RU and this.

God I love late WCW. He hits the ref with a trashcan and then goes for the pinfall? :wtc: And the commentators just go with it.

Astro7x posted:

It's gotta be nostalgia. I have no idea how Nitro was winning back then. The build up to Wrestlemania 13, one of the worst Wrestlemanias ever apparently, has been MUCH better than WCW. Part of it is because all I really knew was that Austin won the Rumble, and somehow the main event was Sid vs. Undertaker for the title. Everything in between I was clueless about, and have been really entertained by it. March of '97 right now is in this phase where every other match is an enhancement match, and the nWo is barely wrestling on shows. I think Syxx has wrestled all of 3 times since his debute 6 months earlier. It's like it's in this format of 3 minute squash match, then an interview, over and over again.

Posts like this make me begin to think that wrestling in general is just really crappy entertainment that people use as a medium to complain about (at least mainstream wrestling). Late 90s/Attitude Era is supposed to be the hey-day of wrestling, but we seem to be able to chip away at it as much as we can, too. Now it seems like the only two good tears of wrestling were 2000 and early 2001 WWE, and if you narrow it down you see that both of those years had stuff to complain about as well. The WWE thread is always going on about how bad the product is or what was wrong this week, and don't even get me started on TNA.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

flashy_mcflash posted:

At least Flair, presumably, gets sex out of his endless parade of betrayal. What does Sting ever get?

The opportunity to pull off a fake Sting mask to reveal he is, alas, the Real Sting.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Wow I usually am not a big shoot guy but I might have to invest.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bocc Kob posted:

Wasn't Elizabeth's entire career pretty much misogynistic?

Yup, even at the end of her life. Lex Luger beat the crap out of her and had to either go to the hospital/call the police on him (can't remember), and she stayed with him...eventually dying at his house due to a drug overdose.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chunky Delight posted:

You forgot about Horace Boulder in your NWO list. I think Horace was initially part of Raven's flock until they realized he was Hogan's cousin and promptly had him join the NWO.
There was also this weird period of time where NWO was made up almost entirely of midcarders and Stevie Ray was the leader.

That was during that time when the NWO was split up into two factions, where the wolfpac was the uppercarders and the black and white were the "B-team".

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MrBling posted:

I took me way longer than I'm comfortable admitting to realise that Paul Bearer's name was a pun. Then again, I can always claim ignorance since english isn't my first language.

It took me actually being a pallbearer in a funeral before I figured it out.

I still routinely spell it paulbearer too.

:smith:

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

MassRanTer posted:

And Paul Bearer was always super happy when families came to his funeral home, saw who he was and got so excited they were talking to PAUL BEARER that they forgot their grief for a little bit!

Paul Bearer kicks rear end. I'm legitimately sad that he's gone.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I saw this when I was 14, and I distinctly remember thinking, even then, "What the gently caress is this?"

I saw it as a 12 year old and totally bought into the Rebirth of the Total Package.

I was a mark.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I feel like Hulk Hogan really was what brought the death of WCW. I guess he was the core of the nWo and what it made such a big deal (although in hindsight Hollywood Hogan kind of looks like someone's dad trying to be cool with his teenage son's friends), but--combined with the creative control bullshit he pulled and his lukewarm to negative reception he had in his first face run, Hulk Hogan just never seemed like a good idea.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Critical posted:

Some people argue that it wasn't a botch, he just phrased it wrong and didn't pause when he should have.

"So this is where the big boys play, huh? Look at the adjective. (Meaning big, seeing as he was larger than pretty much the entire roster, Hall is a big guy as well) (longer pause) Play? We ain't here to play." That would have made sense but he just ran everything together and looked like a doofus.

But he probably just hosed it up regardless and it's still funny.

I don't know, there's really too much thought going into that. Occam's razor says he hosed up.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Have been binging through this thread lately, great stuff all around, makes me want to go back and reread Death of WCW.

Two questions: What's the story behind Sid Vicious going for the turnbuckle move that hosed his leg so badly? Wasn't it something like creative bullying him into doing it when he had no experience doing top turnbuckle moves? That to me was peak WCW right there, it got no worse than that.

Secondly, is there anyone out there outside of Vince Russo himself who genuinely enjoyed WCW in 99-2000? I started watching wrestling with WCW in late 99, and I enjoyed since I didn't know anything about the WWF at the time. I quickly switched to almost fully watching the WWF at a friend's recommendation, though, and didn't really turn back outside of the first hour of Nitro.

Are there people out there who enjoyed it unironically? And would even today defend it? Or is it universally panned by everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

All this talk of hours spent per week watching is giving me a nostalgia overload. I preferred WWF at the time, but all my friends were WCW fans. I couldn't stay up late enough to watch both on Monday nights, so in order to be able to talk about wrestling with my friends on Tuesday, I taped Raw in the living room and watched Nitro in my bedroom while my mom watched tv in her bedroom. I remember being so worried that my mom would walk out and see the risqué stuff happening on Raw.

Of course, on Tuesday, I pretended to be interested in what my friends had to say about Nitro, but I would secretly rush home and watch my taped Raw ASAP. Tuesdays seemed like they lasted an eternity :negative:

I completely missed the boat on being able to talk to my friends about wrestling. I didn't watch it at all when WCW was popular (like late 98-early 99, although more and more of my friends were talking about the Rock and WWF around that time too). When I started watching WCW late 99, the few friends I had all watched WWF. Then when I finally started watching WWF, all my friends had quit watching completely.

There was something about the summer of 99 with my friends that apparently made every one quit watching completely or switch to WWF only. Or maybe the dropoff was going on throughout 99 and I just never noticed it until I actually made an effort to watch wrestling.

I also remember being legitimately scared Hulk Hogan was actually running for president at one point.