Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

bobkatt013 posted:

Has then been an angle that involved a real persons death that did not win or at least get a nomination for most disgusting promotional tactic?

People seem to love this Paul Bearer storyline, which weirds me out because it feels pretty sleazy to me. Borderline at least. But people here at least seem to love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Red posted:

I'm sure tons of people in the company are saying "Bill would've approved", and even if that's true, it just feels... not right.

Yeah, I remember the Lawler stuff when they used his heart attack and his mom dying. People said he was seemingly ok with it so we should be too, but I'm not sure I'm wired that way. It felt sleazy and wrong to me even if it was Jerry's idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

How could people forget Horshu? He had a horse shoe shaved into his head. That had to be the most inventive way for a jobber to be recognizable I've seen.

MassRafTer posted:

The only people who thought Goldberg was one of the guys in that segment were people who barely watched WCW. If you watched WCW you knew it was Horshu because Horshu would pop up as a jobber semi regularly during Goldberg's run. It was one of those dumb rumors that was a product of how polarized fans were and dead set on trying to discredit the company they didn't like.
I suspect that those are the same people who felt Goldberg was an Austin ripoff because they were both bald, had goatees, and wrestled in black trunks. Apparently all bald, goateed, white people look the same to them.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Great White Hope posted:

To be fair, as much as I love Goldberg, I think him having the bald/goatee/pure black trunks helped him out a lot in looking like a badass. It certainly helped Austin, and I don't think 'gives people an Austin vibe in appearance' hurts any when you can back it up.

The look worked well for both of them and there may very well have been some kind of mimicking of that in play. But since the two men had drastically different physiques, wrestling styles, characters, and booking the "ripoff" label was always pretty comical. Its like saying Edge was a ripoff of Triple H because they both had long blonde hair.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Wow. Piper's ridiculous Wargames team was 6 months before Goldberg and almost 4 months before Raven? Man, the Monday Night Wars were a long run of time that held my interest. No wonder I hate wrestling now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

A man with a wily beard that shouts yes and no at everything and encourages the audience to join in, that is fun.
I think this guy just defended The Zodiac.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Excuse me, Bischoff is friends with Wayne Arnold.

Which is probably a bad sign.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved that storyline and the TV Title booking in general around that time. I believe guys like Saturn and Martel did a lot of good work around then too. Just a lot of good wrestlers wrestling good matches over a coveted title that was defended frequently. Wrestling 101.

But yeah, the problem with Finlay's insertion was that Benoit basically couldn't win a title in WCW and that seemed like it was finally going to be the chance for him to be a singles star. So as much as I like Finlay and am glad he got a run it was really deflating at the time that Benoit got sidestepped once again.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Awesome was a pretty great big man. I had no idea people thought different. Even in WCW's years of misuse he still wrestled good matches in the midcard without all the psychotic chair battles and reckless over the top powerbombs from ECW. I don't know if he ever could have risen to main event status in WCW or WWE but no one besides Paul Heyman ever booked him half way well enough to really see. But you can't possibly tell me the guy wasn't at least as good a wrestler as other successful big men like Kane.

laz0rbeak posted:

As for Kronus, I think Perry wanted to stop working with him because Kronus was doing a life-threatening amount of drugs at the time. My understanding is that Kronus was a real piece of work and probably considered way too big a liability to be worth putting on TV.

Yeah, if my memory serves me correctly Saturn straight up hated Kronus. Saturn had a rep as a pretty serious athlete and Kronus had a rep as a lazy partier. He always struggled with his weight and had a lot of drug problems. So I may be misremembering it but I always thought Saturn was actively trying to get away from Kronus. Which is a bit of a shame because they were an awesome tag team and Kronus just went downhill fast once it was done.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

This had to be beyond disgusting to do.

Have you ever stopped and wondered just how much indignity and demoralizing poo poo someone like Torrie Wilson or Stacy Keibler went through from all their years in WCW and WWE? Like if a male wrestler has to compete in a disgusting, dehumanizing, or embarrassing gimmick match or story it stands out. But that's all they did.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Hot Poppin Bunnz posted:

The Outlaws were wearing South Park shirts while they were still heels in '97. I remember this because I was shocked to see something so current on a pro-wrestling TV program.

I remember that being one of the primary reasons why I and my teenage friends liked the Outlaws. They appeared to be some of the only relatively hip and cool people in wrestling who had any concept of pop culture. It's also a big part of what made ECW so cool that doesn't translate to people watching it today.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

As a young wrestling fan totally not smart to the business those longer jobber matches just made WCW's jobbers much cooler than WWF's. Like I had no ideas what a "jobber" was and it took me awhile to piece together that these guys were paid just to lose. Young me just thought they were working their way up the ladder and any Saturday Night the Armstrongs could get their big win. When someone like Prince Iakeua won the TV title or Billy Kidman won the CW title it just sort of hammered that idea home to me. In comparison the WWF jobbers just seemed to suck and stood no chance at all, except that Kid and that time Barry Horowitz got lucky. But mostly those guys just got killed so I just assumed WCW's losers were better.

Seriously, I used to sit there watching Armstrong brother matches rooting for them, utterly oblivious to what a mark I was. You could never do that with WWF jobbers.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

triplexpac posted:

Well I'm watching a 1999 WCW PPV where they call Stevie the leader of the nWo. Doesn't seem to be any Wolfpac or anything in existence at this point (Slamboree 1999)

Edit: Nevermind, Scott Steiner is coming out to the Wolfpac theme so I guess it's still around

Yeah, if I remember right Stevie Ray just took over the Black and White once all the top B&W guys left or turned face. The Black &White were always the lame grunts of the stable while the Wolfpac were the cool guys. Then the finger poke of doom happened and anyone that mattered joined the nWo Elite and Stevie's crew were just silly.

At least until they got stripped. I remember there was some point where the nWo Elite went around disbanding all the nWo splinters and knockoffs. Although I don't know if they ever got to Japan.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

This is the show that opens with Harlem Heat as faces at a biker rally, isn't it?

That's a bad wrestling memory.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I still remember the exact moment I saw that Piper video. I have no idea why my memory insists on holding onto that vivid memory but its there and I can call it the image of teenage me sitting in my bedroom watching that confused with perfect clarity.

DrVenkman posted:

The next episode, by the way, is storming. One of the things that WCW did well was sometimes they would just cut in to something happening at the start. In this case we see the aftermath of an NWO attack and there's no Nitro credits. It gave this appearance that this world still existed when the cameras weren't rolling. WCW's presentation was never that polished, but there's little flourishes that they throw in there. There's a moment where they're about to go to commercial, but Bischoff quickly stops them because he thinks they're about to see a pin. It's a little messy, and a little unpolished, but then it's meant to be a live event.
I always really liked that about WCW. WWE has never really felt real to me. Its too polished and clean. WCW felt like 90% of the sporting events I'd watched where things could get a little messy because that poo poo was live and you didn't know where everything would go. Yeah, that probably comes down to production flaws and WWE is a pretty amazing production, but the affect worked for me.

Its the same way ECW's cheap production worked in making them look more underground and trendy.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I want to say there was a decent amount of time between Wright's push and Berlyn's debut that you could come into WCW in between. Especially back then when the industry was cool and new fans were being made.

Alternatively I could understand just not remembering Das Wunderkind. There were a lot of people in WCW and I flipped the channel a lot on Monday nights. If it wasn't for Saturday Night much of WCW's midcard would probably be a blur to me.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The No Limit Soldiers sucked and "Rap is Crap" was fun. Its that simple. Its a drat shame that there was undeniably a racial aspect in play there because Master P deserved to be booed all on his own merits.

But at least the No Limit Soldiers dying meant the Filthy Animals could happen because I for one was a fan of them. And even if you weren't and were hung up on Rey without a mask you should remember that the Filthy Animals is basically where most of Eddie's awesome "Lie, Cheat, and Steal" stuff originated.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well yeah, but in the big picture sense the nWo always came out on top in their wars against WCW. They always won the titles, the power, got away with everything. Sure, they lost plenty of battles but they always won the war.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved Sting.

I loved Spice.

I loved Brad Armstrong.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My first memories of Alex Wright were with him feuding on WCW Saturday Night with a young man named Jean Paul Levisque and I hated that bastard. So Alex Wright is good.

Also Alex Wright may or may not have been in that Horsemen Knockoff stable that may or may not have ever actually been real. I'll always remember that thing that didn't actually happen fondly.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Numero6 posted:

The one with Jarrett and Debra before they left for WWF? Yeah there was some super short lived stable to gently caress over Mongo.

Yeah. I think the rumor was that Debra with start it with Jarrett and Wright was with Debra so he was in. Then like Malenko would join as the nega-Benoit and then I think the rumor varied as to whether the 4th would be Eddie or Benoit turning on the Horsemen.

I just know I was new to internet wrestling rumors and I was way into that thing that never actually happened but kinda did. I think Eddie, Jarrett, and Wright were on screen together once or twice. Or Dean, Jarrett, and Wright. Or maybe I made it all up in my head.

Hirez posted:

I was too young to keep most WCW memories outside of the big poo poo (nWo, Vader loving ruling, being a little Stinger) but the 2 memories that I cherish are Alex Wright and 2 Cold Scorpio whose music I would mark out for every loving time.

Alex Wright was like Ivan Drago to me who I thought was the most bad rear end at the time, so it sucked he was usually jobbed but we always got his entrance and swagger :dance:

and gently caress how could you not like 2 cold as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kg-2yQ77Ss

2 Cold Scorpio made me a wrestling fan. I grew up laughing at WWF and all the stuff my friends were into and then one night I was flipping channels and I saw the coolest motherfucker in the world doing poo poo I had never seen and was wowed.

Then I saw him in a 6 man tag with Ice Train, Ron Simmons, and the Harlem Heat and was shocked that many black dudes were in wrestling. And Bagwell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hml0Nu3X0s

And then WWF made him a pimp.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 29, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

2 Cold will wrestle forever and I have been secretly waiting for the BTE/JR Scorpio Sky thing to payoff with him joining AEW.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Alaois posted:

i'm sandman

I'm Joel Gertner having an awakening.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

There was a lot of bad taste deadpool stuff 10 years ago or so right around the time Eddie and Benoit and everyone else was dropping like flies. It was like a real problem but edgelords made it a game and its the internet so people made stuff up and got stuff wrong. Then of course WWE introduced the Wellness Program and we started a generation of "there was never a problem, it was all fake news to hurt WWE".

A lot of the ECW guys are still going but like a lot of them are also in real bad shape especially for their ages. And there's guys like Kronus and Pitbull #2 who didn't make it. I think both Public Enemy are dead. Big Dick Dudley is gone. 911, I think? Brian Lee. Bam Bam. Candido.

Edit: I keep editing this as more names come to mind and I'm super depressed now.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I'm kind of amazed Beefcake is still alive. And Duggan even beat cancer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Drugs were the primary problem, but also the drugs were often in play because of the pain and injuries. While its true that a lot of "death match" stuff is stunts that aren't as bad as they look I think people also got a little over the top in acting like its "safe" to do all the "hardcore" stuff. Some of the stuff is rigged and protected but a lot of it was still unprotected chair shots and being thrown through tables and being put through fire and having barbwire and thumbtacks in you and just a brutal way to treat your body. Hitting each other with stuff isn't actually a healthy way to go through life.

But it wasn't some problem unique to ECW.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

pathetic little tramp posted:

oooooof what a way to find out la parka died

Its the other La Parka, not the WCW one.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OG LA Park is still alive and well and you can see him in MLW being all fat and crazy. He was the "Chairman of WCW" and the one everyone knows and loves.

The guy who died was La Parka II, the guy AAA replaced Park with when he left. But he spent like 20 years in the gimmick and to my understanding basically became "La Parka" and a star in Mexico in his own right. The two of them even feuded over the name and it all came out the same.

There's also like Super Parka and La Parka Negra and El Hijo de LA Park. I think there's a lady too.

Also Volador Jr. I love lucha.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Feb 29, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That was the first story that I fell in love with in wrestling.

Arn gets fed up of being in Ric Flair's shadow and challenges him to a match.
The entire locker room comes out to watch in awe of these two legends finally facing off.
To everyone's shock Brian Pillman interferes and helps Arn win.
Arn tells Ric he learned from him and he's starting a new Horsemen without him.
Ric begs Sting to help him against these two since there's no one else he can trust.
Sting rejects him and calls it ridiculous that he'd trust him.
Arn and Pillman beatdown Flair.
Ric gathers up the "little stingers" to beg Sting to help him.
Sting agrees but says he'll kill Ric if he betrays him.
Ric immediately betrays him.

I had absolutely no idea who these characters were or their history but I was in love.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The real rub was just that WWE didn't buy out the actual WCW main event talents. They all came in as bigger deals in later years but like Buff Bagwell wasn't a main eventer in WCW. So the second Booker T vs Buff Bagwell became "WCW at its finest" it was just a half assed attempt to begin with.

Plus "WCW at its finest" was basically CW stuff or old southern stuff and that just wasn't WWE style.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have absolutely no shame in saying I was a Bagwell fan.

First he was teaming up with the coolest guy ever in 2 Cold. And that was cool.

Then he was teaming up with the Patriot and I was just amused by the idea that he just jumped partners and completely changed his whole act to match the guy.

Then he was an American Male and it was just funny.

And then he had the sense to answer a nWo open tryout, became a cartoon character, never stopped trash talking the camera even while wrestling, and started teaming up with Scott Norton. And then I was in love.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bagwell even got involved in the Sting/Luger thing at one point as their mutual friend who got caught up. So like how could I not like him?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ChrisBTY posted:

I think you're all explaining why they didn't pull the trigger on a Buff face turn in '98.

It would be dishonest to say its my "favorite thing about Buff" because there's a lot of things I'd say are my favorite thing about Buff. But my favorite thing about Buff is that time they did turn him face and have him be the focal point of a big face group of Benoit, Dean, and Saturn and then the next week he was just gone and Shane Douglas had been recast in his role.

I want to know the man who said "I don't think Buff will work as the leader of this upstart face group... lets use the Franchise instead."

I also love Shane Douglas and have no shame about it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Scotty did like assaulting people.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have never seen that first video before and I want to thank you so much for this wonderful gift.

Also I am now completely heartbroken that we never had Spice as the third in the American Males poly relationship. What could have been.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I'd argue WCW did way more with Raven than WWE did.

I dare to find the WWE stan who would argue otherwise.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Raven had a real nice run with TNA but like it pretty much all ended by the time Impact started and is remembered for the super bad bad Jarrett match booking. And the stuff in the Impact/Spike era when he had kind of ran his story path and the health stuff started affecting him was... bad. But like if you were watching those weekly PPVs you saw some really fun Raven stuff and there was a reason people were hyped for him to win the world title.

Also D'Lo Brown had a fun run.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Which if James Mitchell, Vampiro, Shane Douglas, and Raven did you expect to be the voice of reason?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I wouldn't put D'Lo on any "best of" list. He was kind of sloppy and out of control and a little overweight. But like, I thought that was fun. A heavyweight who flies a bit and seems a little out of control but does more impact on moves smaller guys do. There's nothing I think needs to be sought out but I think it was just kind of fun to see him get a chance to let loose, do some stuff, and yeah, reveal a ceiling. And working a lot with AJ probably helped.

2003 was a different time with a whole lot less accessible wrestling. So I just think it was fun at the time unless you were seeking out harder to watch stuff. I definitely wouldn't argue D'Lo's case historically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I loved that Benoit/Pillman pairing for the few months it lasted with the Horsemen and I've always felt like that was a cruel tease of what it must have been like to see the Heyman when they were in their heyday and not odd mid card gimmicks with anchors like Mongo.