Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't think Mongo was especially worse than a lot of Power Plant lower card guys. Like, I'm not gonna trash Mongo but praise the Renegade or Joe Gomez or High Voltage (I ironically loved High Voltage). And to some extent the fact that Mongo committed to the wrestling thing and got that adequate is probably a compliment to the guy. WWE hopes Gronk will get that far.

But the difference is Mongo wasn't some Saturday Night jobber like those guys. They put him with the Four Horsemen as the replacement for Pillman. So you get judged for where you're at.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

He's probably right. I mean there's more Mongo and Paul Roma versions than not.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The Cubs have a tradition of having a celebrity show up during the 7th inning stretch to lead the crowd in "Take Me Out To the Ballgame." Mongo (being a Superbowl champion for the Bears) did it one time and took his opportunity to chew out umpire Angel Hernandez for a bad call. Angel is an infamous umpire baseball fans hate so it became kind of iconic. Legend has it Angel was so upset he got Mongo ejected out of the booth/stadium but that seems to have been debunked in the years since as myth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laPjzqDFSGU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mongo as the arrogant athlete who carried around the haliburtan of cash he was bought off with definitely was a very Horseman idea, as was him being yet another case of the Horsemen buying someone and screwing over the faces in a way that wasn't a fair fight.

Its just going from such a compelling character and good worker in Pillman to a rookie in Mongo that left a bad taste in my mouth. But of course Pillman is just a big tragic "What if?"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My memory is that Debra turned on Mongo and went with Jarrett, was managing Alex Wright, and briefly managed Eddie Guerrero. And that was rumored to be the thing.

And that seemed to sort of mix with the long rumors of "Apocalypse" that often mentioned Benoit, Eddie, Regal, and Dean Malenko.

And I guess there's rumors about it back to Pillman that include Jericho?

So I imagine its just like a whole mix of rumors and ideas. Pillman's seems like WCW Hart Foundation. Benoit's is basically that Revolution/Radicalz/Triple Threat group who bounced around ECW, NJPW, WCW, and WWE. Debra's group was just the group that existed that kind of fit the idea. Maybe it started with Pillman, lingered as an idea through Benoit, and seemed like it might be happening with Debra. And there's probably a lot of confused memory and crossed over ideas.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I did a quick search and this kind of feels like the closest thing to it starting to come together. But I don't think there was ever any real follow through. I think maybe Jarrett left for WWF soon after?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOra3nshTfw

It might have been totally separate from the Pillman/Benoit "Apocalypse" stuff though and maybe its just something I connected because I was waiting for that anti-Horsemen group.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Somewhere I own a Kevin Greene Starting Lineup figure just because he sold me on himself against the Horsemen.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

MassRafTer posted:

It was, Pillman was in the WWF at this point.

Yeah, obviously. But I meant that like the separate ideas might not have been any kind of connected booking idea but rather that I just spent so long wanting to see "Apocalypse" that when I saw the Debra thing I made a connection that wasn't true. I always remember the Debra thing as the aborted attempt at the idea but like... in hindsight it seems like they might have just been 2 or 3 separate ideas I grouped together as one long "lost in production hell" idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Bryan and Vinny bad.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

In fairness "get Jericho wasted" isn't that elaborate...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Maxwell Lord posted:

WWE tends towards stagnation- when they don't know what to do, they just do the status quo. (See also the New Generation era, which was a whole lot of not much happening.)

WCW, when they didn't know what to do, just started throwing poo poo out in the hopes that something would connect. The results were... not entertaining in the strict sense of the word, but things were happening. They just were awful.

Yeah, WWE panics and they like run another Authority angle or an arrogant heel champion. WCW panicked and they went "Lets strip all the titles and completely re-align every wrestler on the roster in the same segment!!!"

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think the argument isn't that there was no wrestling in the first hour, but rather no wrestling of consequence. You were more likely to get a Jerry Flynn match than one featuring people you care about.

Which I'm not sure is ENTIRELY true. I feel like there was some of that good midcard action in there. But its been over 20 years so I have no idea. And I definitely remember that the first hour almost always ended with a NWO promo into the second hour/start of RAW.

The fact that WCW used to have a different set of announcers for the first hour certainly didn't help dissuade the "preshow" idea.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

Bobby is generally a highlight of the show commentary wise and that's saying something as the years keep going and it becomes increasingly clear he's loving wasted and tap dancing around Tony, Mike, or Scott.

its a real shame that he wasn't renewed because the company was running out of money and promoted Mark Madden to fill the role

There were WCW shows where like 2 hours in it was clear Bobby and Dusty were both completely wasted adn you could hear Tony slipping into his depression.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Did the JOB Squad ever do ANYTHING? I'm no MIA advocate or anything but I'm kind of floored to find out there's people who have really positive memories of the JOB Squad. Was it Gillberg?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I liked Hugh Morrus in the day. He was a big man who was agile and could wrestle a bit. I liked his stuff with Lance Storm.

And in principle, yeah, I like the idea of taking a bunch of lower midcarders going nowhere, sticking them with a midcard leader, and seeing what happens. In reality the sex and pot jokes were real dumb and I think were probably a bit too much for me even at the time.

I think my biggest problem with the JOB Squad was there was no point. Loosely the point of MIA was to get Hugh Morrus over and feud with Team Canada. And I loved Team Canada so I was intrigued. But like... the JOB Squad were a bunch of low carders thrown together and called jobbers all for the purpose of... being jobbers. WWE loves doing that and like... I don't see the point. Either you let yourself care and get interested in them for nothing or they're just jobbers with a new wrapping.

coconono posted:

Wasn't the JOB squad just the blue World order with different shirts? I honestly can't remember.
I think they might have folded the bWo in there but I think the reason you're making that connection is because it was Al Snow and 2 Cold Scorpio, the guys who were doing good stuff in ECW and then were just pointless jobbers in WWE. Truthfully I always hated the JOB Squad because to me it represented WWE wasting one of the guys who made me a wrestling fan in Scorpio.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I always assumed the garbage trucks were because they were supposed to ride in on harleys or something but it was snowing so they rode in on the vehicles that were safe and allowed.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My favorite least prestige title ever is the WWF Light Heavyweight Belt that they abandoned to Mexico and Japan where it got traded around and then Ultimo Dragon won it as one of the 8 belts he had in the J-Crown and went to WCW and WWF was like "WHOOPS!" and stripped him and held a tournament for the belt with a division that didn't actually exist at the time.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I liked Shane Douglas, but I also think he was just a very "you had to be there" man of the times. Wrestling was opening up, everyone was getting smarter, you were sick of WWF and annoyed by WCW's decisions... so there's ECW this edgy alternative option and there's Shane Douglas, that guy you recognize from the other places and he's got no qualms calling them out and he's pissed at the same people you don't like and has gossip about them and he's got a pseudo Horsemen and sticks it to faces and heels and kind of doesn't give a gently caress. He was just the rebel of the moment.

But that's kind of like political humor in sitcoms. It doesn't age well.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My lasting memory of Shane Douglas during this period where he would like just sit in the crow's nest in the ECW Arena loving with the faces and heels for fun and his own benefit. He was just such a loving dick. It was fun. It wasn't like quite MJF level or anything but it was kinda like of MJF just kinda had his fingers in half the events in AEW and was always sticking his nose in poo poo.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

For better or worse I can't hear Deep Purple without thinking of Shane Douglas and doing the Triple Threat hand thing.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I have itty bitty AJ Styles and Jeff Jarrett figures that came with a NWA Title toy I bought at a liquidation store.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Now I kind of want to play through that weird story where Suicide is a former World Champion LAX beat and left for dead so he forgot his identity so he gets plastic surgery and ends up getting recruited by Kevin Nash to join TNA where he can regain his memories and get his revenge.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That's the same basic time they fell off Spike, Panda sold them, and they got traded between owners and networks until they were just the regular indy they are now.

edit: Checking the rough timeline seems like it was still a year before Spike dropped them and Panda divested itself of TNA but that was also when they lost Sting, AJ, and otehrs and mostly that just seems like it was the beginning of the end of TNA's run as the would be "#2."

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jun 7, 2020

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Does that make AEW the Megan Fox movies?

I'm not sure I fully grasp this concept.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

That seems more like some revival cartoon you keep hearing exists.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, Jarrett did embarrassing poo poo in WWE but he had a bunch of midcard title runs and got inducted into their Hall of Fame so I'm not sure he was really held back all that much considering most agree he was overpushed in WCW and TNA. I mean maybe his natural ceiling is "transitional champ" or something but he got a better treatment from WWE than most WCW guys.

I mean. Putting aside Sting and Buff and all the midcarders and all the guys who weren't hired... loving DDP. Man.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

iamsosmrt posted:

Not all Undertaker feuds are equal, and frankly it's a lot more disingenuous to make it out like this was a good feud for DDP. He looked like a complete goober and as someone's already said, they even put Undertaker's then-wife over him. I think it's been more or less accepted as near fact that they intentionally buried the WCW guys at that time anyway.

If anything Undertaker has a long history of people being debuted and pushed solely to be fed to him. In that period they were even basically developing dudes in developmental specifically as potential Undertaker opponents. It was basically a niche more than a genuine upper card push position.

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Plus he was in his 40s, which immediately disqualified him from getting a main event run.
HA!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

They were pretty obviously gimmicked. Like the whole point was to have partners on opposite teams and enemies forced to team together. WCW wasn't remotely subtle about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think there was this big thing that Tod Gordon was working in secret for WCW to try and raid talent? ECW signed a whole bunch of guys from ECW and while WWE did too they had that deal where they'd give Paul money and send their struggling guys over. Plus like Douglas would always trash Flair and Foley did a whole thing where he was begging "Uncle Eric" for a job. Then Austin came over talking poo poo. Then Pillman came over talking poo poo. ECW just super hated WCW for a bunch of reasons.