Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm not a fan of any spear finisher. They just seem so unsatisfying in the flow of a wrestling match. To me, they're potentially awesome set-up moves for the proper finisher, like a People's Elbow.

Speaking of Edge, I've always thought Christian's Killswitch was one of the worst finishers in all of pro wrestling. The setup is so lame and often done in an awkward, almost botchlike manner. It's a relatively non-believable looking way to turn a guy around and then drive his face into the mat. It's basically a less impactful and much easier to reverse Fameasser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Were Edge's spears a contributing factor to his injuries that led to his retirement? Because if so, that makes them even shittier.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

His "High Knee" was still better than Edge's Spear.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Considering who Rodman still pals around with, he's the only guy who took the NWO 4 Life seriously.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MrBling posted:

Public Enemy also had heat in WWE because they turned down an offer from them and opted to sign with WCW instead, so when they went to WWF in 99 it was made sure that the locker room would hate their guts. That's why they were only there for like 3 months.

This is such a Vince McMahon thing to do. Sign wrestlers out of spite just to embarrass them under contract.

This thread inspired me to go and check out some of their ECW stuff and man I never need to see them again.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Scott Norton seemed like the real life version of those giant wrestlers who'd appear in the Dragon Ball Budokai tournaments.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Main thing I remember about WWE Raven was seeing him randomly pop up on like Smackdown occasionally and being surprised how fit he looked (maybe a year before he left).

This is in stark contrast to what ever the hell happened to him post departure.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

That ECW title is much better than the one they ended up using in their heyday.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Prime Shane Douglas is good to great in a vacuum. I could easily see him as being a solid upper mid carder in like 90s WWF if used correctly.

IMO, his biggest issue was his own lack of self awareness about his drawing ability and charisma. He saw himself as a Ric Flair when he's really like a poor man's HHH. If he stopped being so full of himself and more or less "stayed in his lane" i think his current reputation would be much better. But like many of the ECW originals, they've been clinging on to that mid 90s glory and gassing themselves up on that brush with mainstream relevance.

He was the 90s version of an actual B+ player who's deluded himself into thinking he's an A+.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Who's the biggest WWE guy with the least successful WCW run?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I should've qualified my question with jumping from WWF to WCW as opposed to guys like Taker or HHH.

Bret's probably the best answer and Ed Leslie's probably the inverse answer of shittiest WWF guy who ended up main eventing WCW's top show.

Edit: then again, Bret was at least a top level guy, even if he was misused. Was Tug Boat a big deal in the Fed during this run? I remember seeing him as a kid and thinking he was the Hulkster's goofy looking sidekick during that Earthquake feud.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

DDP's E run has got to be the worst of any WCW main eventer, especially considering he was still able to go at the time of the Invasion.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Goldberg, Scott Steiner, Sting, the NWO (Nash, Hall and Hogan), and to an extent even Ric Flair were all at least given some credibility during their post WCW runs in WWE. Ignoring the quality of their matches and the sincerity of the WWE writers, they were all pushed in major event slots and storylines, even if they ended up being glorified jobbers to the WWE maineventers.

DDP had a couple of unheralded creepy gimmicks before fading away and becoming a yogi.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Sandman McMahon posted:

To be fair, despite the fact everything about it sucked, DDPs debut feud was with the Undertaker. Acting like he was just some curtain jerking midcarder from the start is a bit disingenuous.

Not all Undertaker feuds are equal, and frankly it's a lot more disingenuous to make it out like this was a good feud for DDP. He looked like a complete goober and as someone's already said, they even put Undertaker's then-wife over him. I think it's been more or less accepted as near fact that they intentionally buried the WCW guys at that time anyway.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

What's Lenny Lane doing nowadays? I picture him in a fun angle working as Jericho's decoy or something.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think it's the HDTV revolution that caused old wrestlers to really started looking old. This is true of a lot of famous people in general though. The image quality is too good nowadays.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

The nicest thing I'll say about Hogan is that he's a man who's spent 25+ years as an immensely popular, wealthy, larger than life superstar whose life has been under a microscope since the dawn of the internet. He's probably about average in the grand scheme of human character and integrity, with some extremely questionable to awful behavior in his past, but that he's not a 100% complete monster (that we know of) is probably more telling of him than people would like to credit.

That said, he's totally abused his privileges and powers and most of the poo poo people give him is 100% justified. But he's still capable of doing a lot of good things and being a likeable person if you're a figure in his life. A lot of people probably have similar relatives in their lives, lovely views and conversation, but they might step up above and beyond if you're in a pinch.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I never followed his wrestling career but whenever I saw WCW commentator Larry Zbysko, he came off as both terribly full of himself and incredibly uninteresting to listen to. It was like a super lame uncle at a family gathering who tells you how much cooler and better everything he did was in his prime.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Backlund was portrayed as old during his second run. I remember being really impressed how this old man lasted so long in the 93 Rumble.

It's kind of hilarious that his gimmick in the Hart feud was crazy old man who screams at the cloud. The fact that he made it work is impressive, it's a shame they couldn't at least give him 1 PPV to defend the title.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I mean he didn't really, the two matches with Hart were pretty bad.

Fair point, though I wasn't so much praising his match quality as much as the fact that he turned a random WWF Superstars appearance with Bret Hart into a world title push at all is way above 95% of that era's roster's accomplishments. They also did a pretty good job of turning the chickenwing crossface into a pretty big deal of a finisher, mostly because of how crazed he looked when he locked it in.

How many other "unbreakable" submission holds led to world titles before they were eventually broken?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Tato posted:

Also that match wasn't even an aberration. The entire card of Starrcade 97 was mostly poo poo. No payoffs, nWo winning stuff, Kevin Nash faking a heart attack so he wouldn't have to job. It was a really, really bad PPV

I didn't have cable, never saw PPVs and could only watch WCW Worldwide on Sunday mornings, and everything around this PPV still managed to kill my interest in WCW at 13 years old. It just became clear the stories were completely pointless and they were just loving around too much.

Plus ECW was steadily rising and at the time made the bigger brands look really lame in comparison to a teenager.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

10 year old me's favorite wrestler was Razor Ramon and I generally found his matches on Superstars (the only WWF show I could watch then) to always be a banger, even the squashes.

He just had that physical presence and really lived up to that oozing machismo in the way he interacted with wrestlers.

It blew my mind when I learned he was faking his Latin American gimmick.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Middle age men trying too hard to look cool and badass was always going to become painfully lame, adding scrubs just sped up the process.

Only long term good results I could see happening would've been maybe if it stayed relatively small and instead of trying to come off as a redundant competing brand, they essentially take over WCW itself and enact a bunch of revolutionary changes (some maybe even genuinely good ones) with a heelish story bias towards themselves and their friends. Basically like the Elite except more blatant.

The scrubs should not have been allowed in the NWO proper but instead been called something else to exist as their enforcement stooges. Bischoff should have never have been allowed to join them.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm almost surprised by reading someone saying Bischoff's membership gave more legitimacy to their existence. Like it kind of does, but this was wrestling in 1996, and no one gave a poo poo about a slightly more feasible way they could've worked in a corporate structure under Turner and WCW. It's not like the group holds up under any scrutiny anyway.

Super Dan posted:

To be fair, they kind of did do this after the Fingerpoke. When Hogan joined the Wolfpac, the scrubs were all still the nWo Black & White B-Team.
i hear ya on that, but this also happened well after the nWo mostly stopped being relevant as a mainstream draw and WCW's deathmarch began. Plus I think a real "B" group should've been given a whole different name altogether so you keep some aura around the actual relevant group.

Did the nWo end up building up anyone within the group aside from established stars like Hall and Nash? I mean like in the sense that Evolution built Randy Orton up.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I just watched the Hogan/Iron Sheik in its entirety for the first time and honestly, I'm kind of shocked as recently I've mostly seen his 90s and beyond poo poo for comedy. Hogan's so enormous compared to his NWO run, plus he moved really well in that match. By no means was it a technical masterpiece but it's a surprisingly watchable wrestling match with an amazing crowd and a good story being told. What was even more surprising is how crisp and forceful Hogan's strikes were at that time, whereas his offense looked almost embarrassingly unbelievable in WCW, his punches looked like they might actually inflict some damage. The commentators even keep mentioning how well he moves for a big man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq0eK0NJ-_s

Also, funny because it's so ridiculous, I've never seen footage of "Ayatollah" Freddie Blassie before, it's pretty drat hilarious. Also at 1:38 The Iron Sheik says "Mr. Hogan you are big" but it sounds like bitch.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Are there any details as to why the WWF let Mean Gene go? I had a couple of years of not watching any wrestling in those years so when I came back to see Bret Hart as champ, Mean Gene was one of the bigger losses as it really did take away some "legitimacy" from the product they were putting forth, especially with guys like Duke the Dumpster Drose coming in to fill the roster.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

MrBling posted:

If you somehow haven't seen this, you need to do it right now. Just to see Mean Gene absolutely unable to keep a straight face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEIzkLr7JzQ

I watch this once every few weeks when I smoke up, it's pretty amazing and Dr. Dave's delivery plus Gene's corpsing sells it every time.

Yeah, I saw the wikipedia thing about the non-speaking terms, I was hoping someone had insider insight to it, but perhaps nothing ever came out. Even worse was that they tried to replace him with the likes of Todd Pettengill and Dox Hendrix. Kind of hilarious that they managed to hang on long enough to WCW to kill itself and Stone Cold to catch lightning in a bottle. Not shocking that Vince McMahon is so used to fall rear end backwards into success that he refuses to try any other way.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Hogan is poo poo, but I don't think he was really trying to sandbag in that clip. I think he just wasn't ready yet immediately, but when he goes up, he's clearly using his legs to assist the lift. The stuff after is lovely af though.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zombie Lemur posted:

Russo's leg drop is a better drop kick than Watts's drop kick.

In some fairness to Russo, it looks like it could hurt to receive that leg drop. Though it looks way more painful for Russo's hip.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Buff turning out to be one of the good dudes of that era, amazing.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Duggan is a perfect example of that larger than life quality McMahon was good at honing back in the day. He was like this big, goofy and lovable cartoon Man-Bear who proudly loved America. The 2x4 just added to the charm. When I was 5 years old, it was a perfect addition to the crazy cast of characters, which in hindsight, worked well as a wrestling themed variety show catered towards kids.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Happy for this thread, long live WCW.
Not sure if this has been posted here before, but it's pretty cool to see a bunch of wrestlers (and Jim Crockett) playing competitive basketball against rec league cops.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8JHoywBdHQ
The skill level is by no means very high, but that's kind of what makes the effort more interesting. There's a lot of contact and hustling to the floor, Luger and Sting especially put their bodies on the line. Crockett himself goes down with a back injuiry. And it's pretty awesome seeing Dusty run, he's clearly one of their better ballers, he even hits the game winning layup.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

He once gave Hogan a taste of his hometown

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Stevie Richards seems like a legit good dude, one of the few guys from that era who may be much healthier and happier now than he was back then.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I don't know much about Stevie's conspiracy slant, but having seen his YouTube in recent years, he comes off as a humble and down to earth fitness guy focused on helping people get healthy. He's also a tech geek.

He's already ahead of like 95% of his peers who are mostly caught up on rehashing their glory days of fast living, drugs, crowd pops and ring rats, while also looking sad and kind of creepy because they're broken down and bitter a-holes.

Considering how much time Stevie spent with Raven and the ECW vets, it's a miracle he's even functional.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Turns out bashing your head with beer cans leaves the surviving brain cells much tougher.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

About the Mountie, I'm never surprised to hear of wrestlers being lovely people anymore, but I will say I remember as a kid being really upset that he blatantly abused his legal authority to shock people, I guess an early sign that ACAB.

Also I didn't watch much of the Master P stuff but it was pretty hilarious that the heel group made an anti-rap song that got big pops from the WCW core audience.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

What if the David Arquette that won the title in 2000 was the 2018 version of him that actually trained hard to be a wrestler?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Suplex Liberace posted:

thinking about what a heyman booked 2000 wcw looks like. its hard

It's hard because of how tainted WCW already was in its overall brand and the diehard fans who were sticking around would have to really have to be sold on whatever revolutionary change Heyman would attempt to bring, that's not even counting the crippling grandfathered albatross contracts still hurting them at the time.

The best case scenario is probably something involving guys like the Radicalz buying in and gradually having the company built around them and complementary opponents like early 2000s Smackdown. In this scenario Benoit doesn't go psychotic and Eddie lives a long healthy life.

This is also contingent on Heyman only playing to his strengths and being kept in check to not let his pettiness, juvenile indulgences and being shady AF get in the way of his booking and creativity. It's a big slippery slope there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Then again, if Heyman became an onscreen character, he'd definitely be an x-factor as for how compelling he could make any storyline. He would've had a better than 0% chance of turning the tide for WCW, especially if he could do for say, Goldberg, what he's done for Lesnar.