Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

The top 1% of ducks have control of 99.9% of the bread.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I'm actually surprised that WWE or TNA didn't pick up Scott Hudson. He's not the greatest of all time or anything, but he was downright decent in WCW.

I think they had him for a little while during the weekly PPV days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

The NWO actually took over the show 4 times in the year running upto the December 22nd show. Each time they got a small ratings boost from it. They had even had NWO Souled out, the PPV equivilent of it, starting with the NWO riding to the stadium on the back of garbage truck. So on paper I can see why it seemed a good idea. The execution just backfired.

Souled out was a terrible show it must be said, but something so different that its worth a watch for the trainwreck.

The announcer for that show was a creepy disembodied voice. What's not to love.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Timby posted:

Holy poo poo, I would kill my cats to see video of this.

I recently got a whole bunch of old Nitros, I'll see if I can find this.

Edit: Found the Nitro, will cut out the stuff later.

Raeg fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Jan 16, 2010

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Please everyone, enjoy the death of Lex Lugar. I noticed an other nice little piece of WCW before the Lex Lugar segment, so I left that in too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ15JYQ5gA

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

If there's any other clips people are looking for, I've got what appears to be all the Nitros from '95-'99 and 2001.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Strawberry Panda posted:

The best part is the end of the video where Sting just runs into Hogan's dressing room and knocks his knee with the nightstick and runs away.

Yeah, I decided to leave that in because I liked Sting rushing in then nonchalantly walking away.

I'll try and get that Hart match up tomorrow and see if I can find the dates of enough Seven segments to make up a video package.

Raeg fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 16, 2010

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

LividLiquid posted:

Then why did the New Blood cheat to win in just about every match that night and do things like force the Millionaire's Club to come out without music or pyro, then make fun of them all night?

Why did the fans cheer Jarrett and boo Hogan, clearly Jarrett was supposed to be the face!

Oh sorry, wrong reboot.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I love that that photo is from mid-match, even though it looks like Stevie Ray is presenting a photo on QVC.

racist

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

According to Death of WCW it was the guy just before, a man named Frye? It's not clear why he left.

Yeah, Kip Frye I think, Foley also mentions him in his first book. I think he got the bonus once but I can't remember who he was wrestling.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

Because Mike Sanders owned.

HHH disagrees

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

He was on the hotline at minimum.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I love Ed Leslie is in that gallery 3 times, just edging out Nash's 2

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

oldpainless posted:

I THINK it was the highest non-WrestleMania PPV they've ever had.

All I remember is (I think) it worked out that PPV covered WWE's costs in purchasing WCW.

Not that it was a vast fortune anyway.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

They had a 5 hour of pain slot on a friday night, that went head to head with raw. It was great for channel hopping, but absolutely horrible to try and watch in one sitting.

If I remember correctly, the five hour of pain stopped just before the midnight repeat of Raw. I think I'm right on that one.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

MassRayPer posted:

That is the most incredible source for short lived and aborted WCW gimmicks I have ever seen.

The only one I couldn't vaguely recall at all was Basket Case. Don't remember that one even a little. Well that and the selection of Nitro Girls.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

How much meat can it store and keep warm? That is key.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Sir Jebus posted:

I just watched this the whole way through. It was awesome.

... Why are they giving away a panasonic cordless phone on a kids game show?

Hmmmm, the team of the Blue Blazers in 2000.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

From what I remember, I was probably watching 6-7ish hours in a row on a Friday night in the UK. TNT used to air Nitro, followed right away by Thunder and once they wrapped up, the midnight repeat of Raw came on.

Then during the week I watch Shotgun and Superstars, although if memory serves me correct, they were the same show with different announce teams. Sometimes TNT would also randomly shove on an old Thunder or Nitro on a Saturday night too.

So yeah, I was at about 9 hours for a good chunk of 98-2000 before Nitro was sold off when TNT became TCM over here.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Skinty McEdger posted:

The late Raw showing was 2am, so it was entirely possible to watch all 7 hours in a row. Then the next day there was livewire, action zone, superstars all in a row on Sky one and then the same footage used for superstars was commentated on with a different team on Sunday lunchtime.

I can't remember what night the first airing of Smackdown was in the UK. Saturday?

God yeah, I forgot that I watched that Saturday block too on Sky 1. Was it 2am? Thought it was midnight but it has been a long time but yeah, I think I did that more often that I should've.

Yeah, we got Smackdown I think ~6 months after it began if not more and it was on Sky Sports on Saturdays.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I think my first exposure to Nitro was waiting for Raw to come on one night and flipping through the channels and had that "Wait, there's other wrestling?" moment. I think it was some kind of nWo beatdown involving Jim Duggan?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Pretty sure Lanny Poffo had that power.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

tzirean posted:

Heenan was pretty bad in WCW, and who could blame him? Schiavone was hit-or-miss, Tenay was fine.

However, half of each Nitro was called by Zbyszko, and Larry was loving awful.

Larry was awful? I bet you didn't like when he called out the dastardly New World Odour!

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

bartok posted:

Bischoff had a WCW theme?

Yeah, it was from the Desperado soundtrack I think.

It was sadly not Eric Bischoff - Karate Man

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

oatgan posted:

someone tell me which high school the guy behind the raft went to

woah, calm down, I was just trying to investigate local rafts and thought this would be a cool thing to find out.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

MRT, was this ever sold on QVC?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

I keep looking at it, it's a true work of art. It is truly too sweet.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

oatgan posted:

his move is a power bomb so we packaged him with a giant atomic bomb

A wolf headed atomic bomb, because he was in the Wolfpac, therefore wolves.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

He had just turned heel and really hated Hulk Hogan for his skinny jeans.

I remember when I first dug out that clip for SA, it still amazes me just how much insane crap there is in a 10 minute span.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

rare Magic card l00k posted:

The Luger funeral, the first Seven segment, and the Hogan cut the pants off segment are back-to-back-to-back and that makes me incredibly happy.

Still can't believe when I cut that up years ago there was so much quality in such a short timeframe.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2R0v1I_-ys

I should upload this video myself since I have to keep it in my Favorites as there's no way I'd ever remember this title.

Also Sting gives zero fucks.

Years and years ago on this forum, someone posted a recap for a Nitro containing Lex Luger's funeral and asked if any had it, I quickly scanned through the Nitro shows I had and hastily went through the show on Movie Maker to get it up on Youtube. As I was watching it, I realised Sting casually batting Hogan and then meandering out was DIRECTLY after that batshit segment and left it in the vid too. WCW truly was the best of us.

Also before the segment, Seven cuts a promo on Tony Schiavone from his spooky window.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ15JYQ5gA

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

I'm not sure it's a slur as much as it's incredibly bizarre and offensive but I believe he is referring to the camera man as a "Jiggly, Jiggly Jew."

I have never heard anyone other than Hogan say this.

Hulk Hogan is a revolutionary, whether it be reinventing the sport of wrestling by tragically murdering Andre the Giant in from of 500,000 screaming Hulkamaniacs, or creating levels of racism us simple folk just can't possible comprehend.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Defiance Industries posted:

I notice you forgot that he invented the idea of wrestlers coming out to music...

Anyone got any clips of Hogan's Pride days?

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

Goldberg performed a shoot Jackhammer and I don't know how to accept that.

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

D.N. Nation posted:

Only thing I really remember between Starrcade '98 and '99 was DDP winning the title and turning (sorta) heel. Oh, and there was one time I flipped over to TNT for the hell of it and saw Hogan back in the Hulkamania gimmick in front of a half-empty arena. 1999 WWF was total nonsense but the crowds were at least white hot for it.

Who could forget the overwhelming force of THE JERSEY TRIAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raeg
Jul 7, 2008

"You're doing a documentary about wrestling and you don't know who I am?"

"... we just started"