Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I want this shirt. It is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Are there any good videos or podcasts that rundown The Great American Bash 1986?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MrBling posted:

If you can handle listening to Conrad, one of his many podcasts is "What happened when" with Tony Schiavone and they do shows about basically all the old stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM9BDc2nyjA

Yeah I tried watching the July 5th, 1986 Bash video and it was Conrad and Terry doing MST3K over still pictures. It was bad.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
They should have brought him back as Big Bubba Rogers

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Me googling "Captain Redneck": :kstare:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
What happened to Tully Blanchard? Why was he fired/let go? Why hasn't anyone else adopted the slingshot suplex?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Arn and Tully left the NWA over pay stuff. They went to the WWF as the Brainbusters and had a decent run for a while and the NWA was getting ready to take them back but Tully tested positive for cocaine which meant the WWF booted him early and the NWA wasn't interested either. Tully mostly bounced around doing various shots here and there while working on his prison ministry.

Ah that sucks. He was a great heel.

Does anyone besides his racist daughter use the slingshot suplex?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dawgstar posted:

Van Hammer, who you'll get to, used it when he came in to... mixed results but I don't know anybody mainstream who uses it.

As consolation here's Tully using the move on Ray Traylor:

https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1529017868398039041?lang=en

(The story is Dusty saw this and knew Traylor was going to be something special so he got taken off TV as a jobber and turned into Big Bubba Rogers so Dusty could have a monster to fight.)

The slingshot is a cool move. Love watching it.

Slingshot Suplex, Russian Sickle, The Hand of Stone, and Gourdbuster are some of my favorite finishers.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Dawgstar posted:

I am also genuinely a fan of moves that are basically 'regular move but really hard.'

Yeah when the wrestler adds the extra overselling of it the move stands out and are great. Landel's elbow drop was so good too. Before getting fat he would get above the top rope.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Somebody get that Conrad huckster to interview Tully.

One of the things I've noticed while watching 1986 is that Dusty still puts on a show outside the ring, but in the ring he is checked out. His matches are snoozefests.

Edit: how is the arn show? Is that Conrad too?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

History Comes Inside! posted:

You can tell if it’s a Conrad podcast by how frequently you’re being told to get a new mortgage

Oh they do blue chew lol

Whatever. Usually the best stories they have are in clips that have the ads removed

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
It is always fascinating what happens to these various minor wrestlers. I love it when they are being built up or in the middle of a story and then *poof* gone.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Starccade '86 is so bad

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I haven't watched the last 2 matches of Starrcade '86 yet, but the only good match so far has been Midnight Express vs Road Warriors. The Gavin vs Bubba match wasn't bad until the end. Everything just feels like spinning wheels during this event unlike the last 3 starrcades that resolved stories.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The cowards should have had Nikita win. Lmao what a dumb finish.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lol
https://twitter.com/FINALLEVEL/status/1636058588643729408?t=DkysuivcgFmeGdbWT5aeqA&s=19

Hell yeah. 80s slick Rick was great

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Holy poo poo at the Jim Cornette burning Ron garvin's face storyline. :dogstare:

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I hope this Ron Garvin and Jimmy Cornette cage match pays off

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've been slowly making my way to the 2nd Crockett Cup. The 2nd iteration of the 4 horsemen felt forced. Luger while very imposing is not a very good wrestler and is super stiff in promos. Ollie's anti-hero face turn is weird, but funny. The Garvin face fire was an oh poo poo moment. The gorgeous face turn was a long time coming. Cornette, midnight express, and big bubba are always a treat. The semi-sideling of dusty, Nikita, and rock-n-roll express is weird. Lmao at raging bull and Rick rude being tag team champions. I like the Armstrongs. A number of wrestlers just aren't around much, but cut minute promos and it is weird. Flair is flair and is a great heel. I don't see what people see in Windham. The loss of magnum is felt.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Wasn't Luger supposed to be the next big thing in wrestling in 1989 or whenever?

Crockett seems to think so back in 1987

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Did "Loverboy" Dennis get hurt in early 1987? He disappeared to and they brought in some new guy.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Cornette said he just stopped showing up and not even him or Bobby ever found out what happened, even after Condrey started wrestling again

Does he ever come back? It is so weird that this happens with wrestlers regularly during this era

HerraS posted:

No, he just packed his bags and went to the AWA where he teamed with Randy Rose as another Midnight Express with Heyman as their manager

More money or drama? Seems weird leaving a gig of the #1 heel tag team.

Edit: I liked the Nikita face turn at the beginning, but they have turned him into a jobber at this point. He is in that weird dusty zone were you are a top face, but aren't allowed to win and need to be constantly beaten up by foes

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 16, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Idk if there is a thread for it, but a video was uploaded by one of the wrestling accounts I use to watch the old nwa stuff that said Superstar Billy Graham is on life support. 😞

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The arn show covered Dennis last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJMZJ_xpktg

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Every story I read Hogan sucks so much in the 90s

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

MassRafTer posted:

When Elizabeth was trying to leave Randy Savage she was scared for her life. Hogan let her hide out at his house to be safe from him.

There you have it, the one good Hulk Hogan story.

Thank you

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Out of the 2, I think Ric Flair is better than Hulk Hogan.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Suplex Liberace posted:

in what sense?

I think flair is more entertaining inside and outside the ring. Keep in mind I've only watched 2 and a half years of nwa and just a handful of Hogan things.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I still personally prefer Flair's style and persona over Hogan's.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I've noticed in some matches the wrestlers repeat moves or situations. Like an example is the crockett cup '87 Ric/Barry fight. Ric backs barry up into a corner, ref pulls him off, ric chest chops Barry, and barry tries to go after ric, but the ref steps in. This happens 3 times in a row. Why is that?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
"Superstar" Billy Graham has died.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Lid posted:

Road Wild is the most WCW thing in that it was a yearly reminder that they gave away a free ppv to racist neo Nazism that drew no buys and was just to bill going to Sturgus as a work expense.

Lol

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
The New Breed is so stupid. I love them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I said, "Hey Japanese cab driver!"
https://twitter.com/ShareHoot/status/1660131606126796800?t=deFgGCxtfF9CHoc3PJVuNA&s=19

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Watched a bit of a recent interview with Jimmy Valiant and he is still Jimmy Valiant. 🤭

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Listening to a baby doll interview and when asked who was the biggest partner st the bar she saidbit was Ric Flair who would close down any bar they went to unless he meet a women then he would go back to the hotel with her and be back in an hour or 2.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Whatever happened with the Jim Cornette vs Ron Garvin steel cage match that was supposed to happen may 1987? Did it never happen?

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Lmao at setting up ANOTHER Tully vs dusty money match/TV title match and immediately having thr 4 horsemen break dusty leg again.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ok come on. That 1987 tully/dusty 100k TV title featuring Magnum TA ending. I now understand "a dusty finish". Lmao at not booking a dusty win. Lmao at Tommy Young always being the dusty finish ref.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
NWA World Chpionship Wrestling 6/27/87 taping has a hell of a match between The Garvins and The Dream Team. A real entertaining 30 minutes.

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 6, 2023