Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
The picture for the "birdshit" logo doesn't load for me. Is it working for anyone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
That was the logo that's been so much ballyhooed?

That logo was fine and this whole mystery has been over something super-stupid.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

Meltzer told an amazing WCW story on Wednesday:

They signed Frank Anderson a Swedish Olympian and began filming matches with him for that country with him going over. But they didn't push him on American TV. So they just had a guy, that they'd put on TV in one country instead of trying to make him a star everywhere.

What year was this, that this guy was hired?

Why did he NEVER come to the States?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

It was in the early 90s.

He did come to the states. It was just in most matches that they weren't using for TV in that market, he was a jobber. So they tried to portray him as a star in his own country but didn't bother doing anything with him here.

I'll never understand why WCW kept doing this. They kept paying people to do NOTHING.

Prime example was Leapin' Lanny Poffo. I wish I could have a job half as cushy as that guy.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Faxman posted:

It's pretty easy for me to imagine Austin having a little trouble trying to work out a new gimmick - DDP just walks up to him , big loving smile, puts a hand on his back and says "Hey Steve, just be yourself." Then he smiles one more time for good measure and starts to walk away thinking about how happy he is that he was able to help out a friend, and then Austin grabs him, stunners him and pours a beer on him and says "Thanks."

DDP, still reeling from the stunner, manages to lift his hand a give a thumbs up.

Pssh. DDP would reverse that poo poo into a Diamond Cutter like THAT.
:smug:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Suben posted:

I don't remember how but there was a period where they decided to do something with all the Nitro Girls and Spice ended up as Madusa's valet/manager.

I think one of them acted as a valet for Kanyon during his "Champagne" gimmick, one of them became Ernest Miller's valet Ms. Jones, Sharmell (I forget what her Nitro Girl name was) became The Artist's valet Paisley and Tygress became the valet of the Filthy Animals.

There's probably a few others I'm forgetting outside of Kimberly and Stacy Kiebler.

Edit: I think that was the time period where like every loving person on the roster had some kind of valet or manager. Macho Man had three (Madusa, Gorgeous George and Molly Holly), Daffney came in around that time I think, Flair had Lil' Naitch and even guys like the loving Maestro and Prince Iaukea had a valet.

Spice was 13-year-old Rotinaj's favorite Nitro Girl.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

I swear a few times I had to reread the same poorly structured sentence four times just to try and makes sense of it and be sure I was getting the right message. I never read the Observer because I just don't care to that degree and I've always heard he was a bad writer, but that's ridiculous. How do you write as long as he has and do it so badly?

He publishes it himself, so he has no editor to tell him "This sentence makes no sense, fix it."

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Carlisle posted:

"Hardcore" Screamin' Norman Smiley. Peak WCW.

It's from TNA, but...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Jim Duggan and Jake the Snake were driving buddies in the WWF and routinely got hosed up as hell on everything under the sun.

The Jake Roberts episode of Art f Wrestling is really good.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

DrVenkman posted:

The Russo era had hosed everything so much that it was all just largely worthless (Reminder, during the Russo era Tank Abbot was champion).

He could have been, but he wasn't a champ yet. Russo got fired before Tank became champ.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Renaissance Spam posted:

I suspect they have no interest in having TNA at all.

TNA is a nice little show that gets them a solid 1.0 rating. Nothing more. If TNA ever showed a return on their investment and got them better ratings, they might have considered backing it more, but TNA has tried everything. They never get higher than a 1.2 at absolute best. And never will, without a namechange and massive management overhaul.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

21 Hoot Salute posted:

One of the smaller differences between WWE and WCW was the wrestler entrances. WCW wrestlers had a much longer walk to the ring and would often look directly at the camera and trash talk it all the way to the ring.

Now the only superstar who gets to do that is John Cena when he first comes out :mad:

I hate how the WWE never gets the camera close enough to pick up what the hell any wrestler is saying during their entrance, they just look like they're rambling to themselves.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Was it Russo's influence that made the last(?) WCW video game take place entirely in the backstage area of an arena and never once in a wrestling ring?

That game was so bad.

In fact, all the WCW games except for WCW/NWO Revenge and World Tour were pretty bad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Quasipox posted:

Oh man, I remember renting Thunder and Nitro with a friend and both of us just being completely confused at it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_GOo5IcIxc

Edit: haha how many drat times do I have to hear the NWO and Wolfpack themes, and even then, like 5 seconds of it...

DOUBLE EDIT: And who can forget Benoit's rant? "Silent...but violent..."

Jericho, Kidman, the British Bulldog and Jim Neidhart were in a stable? :psyduck:

(I know, they just didn't want to bother putting their music in)

Edit: The rants are amazing, especially the ones where the guy just doesn't get what the gently caress these things are supposed to be.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I got a box of WCW trading cards in 1998. An entire box full of unopened packs.

They were from 1992. I had so many cards of Doom.

It was pretty cool.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

MassRafTer posted:

Did you find it in a mom and pop pharmacy/convenience store?

Flea market, actually.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

triplexpac posted:

Here's a Sting HOF related question:

Why did Foley get voted in the Observer HOF and not Sting?

Foley was never really a top guy in WWF or WCW, but I'm not really familiar enough with his Japanese career to know if he drew there.

I just don't really see that big of a difference between Mick and Sting.

Foley was a proven name in multiple territories, had some of the hottest angles in his time period based off his athleticisim(such as it was) and his promo-work, drew one of the most decisive ratings in the big ratings battle pretty much all by himself, and is beloved by fans for many reasons.

Sting drew some money because he was booked well. Dude sucks at promoes, his ringwork is fairly boring, and he has been involved in some of the worst crap going.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Chris Gaines posted:

Anyone have that gif of Vader getting out of the ring, stumbling backwards and falling on his rear end?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever admitted to being one of the fake Stings? I figure they just used whatever guys were hanging around in the back, but I'd like to know who some of these dudes were who were actually bumping to one punch.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Red posted:

He and Fred Savage played (brothers) Hawk and Dove on Justice League, which is pretty awesome, too.

But if his best wrestling-related idea was aping the already-tired nWo for a Latino faction, then I don't think the industry missed out.

The lWo was awesome and you should probably shut the gently caress up. :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Great White Hope posted:

One time Bryan and Vinny were reviewing a Nitro (I think 1998), and Bryan mentioned that Dave said Thunder was far, far worse than Impact ever was.

Bryan said that he was 100% sure Dave had to be lying, but after seeing Nitro's recap of Thunder he believed him.

I was a pretty faithful Thunder watcher from late '98 up until the end, and I can say with confidence that nothing important ever ever happened on Thunder ever. Some not bad wrestling, but there never seemed like any reason to try on Thunder, so they didn't. Worldwide/Saturday Night/whatever was the one where you'd occasionally get decent to good matches.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

OctoberCountry posted:

At Halloween Havoc 96 Hogan came out to wrestle in a wig, during the match Savage stole it and put it on himself.

I stand by my statement. :colbert:

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

Tongan Death Grip... crazy.

Say what you want, the Tongan Death Grip was the most rad thing ever. I loved Meng when I was watchin' WCW, and that was like half the reason why.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N2d78E5bIs

I can't help but laugh at this parody. Is Hoodslam worth watching?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Doomsday Jesus posted:

Also, Heenan kept saying, "New World Ogre."

They fumbled for some insulting name to call the NWO the entire time that the NWO was a thing. DDP's "New World Odor" was the closest one to not being crap, and it was still crap.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

Me too, I loved Wrath especially. It helped that him and Mortis and Glacier seemed to exist in their own separate universe apart from the rest of WCW... because when they eventually crossed over Wrath was instantly squashed by Nash for no good reason, and that was that.

I have fond memories of Wrath having a super-rad winning streak gimmick for a while.

And then I think he faced Nash in the runup to Nash/Goldberg and got absolutely destroyed. Damnit, Nash...

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ChampRamp posted:

It didn't really matter. Wrath looked like a geek for the first, what, six months after debuting. To Kevin "Big Depeche Mode Fan" (The Best Ever) Nash's credit, I believe he sold some of Wrath's offense in a tag match in late '97.

Did to me. I didn't see Wrath's first six months after debuting. I started watching WCW the night after Fall Brawl '98.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

RZApublican posted:

What if Cena got a Tom Bombadil gimmick?

The only gimmick change John Cena will ever have from here on out will be when he steals Misawa's gimmick.

(And dies in the ring)

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

1st AD posted:

So I googled Booker T and apparently he won a WWE Championship? Was that well received or not? Because while he was over in WCW, he wasn't THAT over and after 1998 or so he seemed to be way slower in the ring.

Booker T was awesome at all times, including his WWE run. His World Title reign was cool, he had Finlay and Regal as his Royal Court, he was a great heel, it was awesome.

TNA doesn't count because it doesn't loving exist. It never happened.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

Kevin Sullivan was active until mid-1997, but he also wasn't god tier in kayfabe like Nash. I think the lesson is "don't let Kevin Nash book himself."

No, because Jeff Jarrett and Triple H both prove the rule. Don't let active wrestlers handle booking or have creative control.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sanguinia posted:

I mainly think its a good promo because of the passion involved in the delivery and the vivid picture Russo paints of the storyline. When he promises Hogan will never return to WCW "or else I'll go in the GOD drat GRAVE," and refers to the title as the "Hulk Hogan Memorial Belt," he injects a lot of power into his words. Granted, I've only seen that promo in a vacuum and you've actually watched all the WCW surrounding it, so you'd be in a better position to judge it's repetitiveness. But in that vacuum, where I think most people watch that promo, it seems like a shining example of the theoretically potential of a Worked Shoot.

I've been of the opinion for some time that the kernel of good intent in Russo's booking style is that he wants to bring back that feeling that you can only have when you think wrestling is real. The feeling that anything can happen because it's real life and real fighting. Unless I misremember, the announcers even claim that the match between Booker and Jarret after that promo is "actually real." I think the way Russo sees it is that Worked Shoots can bring that feeling of suspense back. If the audience is told point blank that the script exists but also that at any moment the guys in the ring might decide to throw it out, they'll constantly be waiting for it to happen and wrestling can perhaps become "real," again.

In a complete vacuum, I can see how BATB 2000 could have succeeded in creating that feeling. But it doesn't exist in a vacuum, and like you said in the end its just another one of a long sting of lovely worked shoot promos that make no sense to people who don't know what "doing the job," is.

This was after Russo's run with the WCW title. Russo was stale and awful and hearing his lovely Iron Man theme song made me groan, by this point. We didn't like Russo, we didn't want to see him on TV, we didn't want to listen to his promoes.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

oatgan posted:

present day scott steiner is extremely gross and sad

The hell you say

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHcjmOtUSXM

He is a hero to all people

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'll never understand why WCW went all in on Master P. Was that dude actually notable enough for anyone to care? WCW is the ONLY time I ever heard of him.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Well alright then. Guess it was down to me being a honky rear end honky at the time. I just figured any real big musician would have had staying power.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Perdido posted:

A lot of that has to do with the Wrestlecrap guy being involved with the book.

Has RD Reynolds actually done anything big and impressive with the amount of internet credibility Wrestlecrap got him? Or did he do that site, this book, and a whole lotta nothing?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

he's made money, if that's what you're asking

It's not. I wanted to know if he ever did other books, or got a writing gig for another website, or if he launched a podcast, or if he actually continued creating content.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I only ever saw Stevie Ray post-joining the NWO. As a kid, I found the slapjack to be extremely rad, and I thought it was the coolest thing. So Stevie Ray was one of the only people who I gave a gently caress about in the NWO B-Squad.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Claytor posted:

The Mandela Effect is Reddit for "I will create an alternate universe before I will admit that there's something problematic about my inability to tell Shaq and Sinbad apart." :colbert:

That one makes no sense to me. How in the world do people not have an awareness of how wonderful Shaq is. He's Shaqtastic. Of course he made Kazaam. Genie in a boombox. God drat it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

exploded mummy posted:

We need to watch Battledome

And see a young Terry Crews in one of his first roles. I don't know why I loved Battle Dome as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

syzpid posted:

WCW 2021
Sealab 2021

They are going to reuse 50% of the old WCW footage and just redub it.

I would be more excited if they just had wrestlers redub the voice acting to sealab 2021

scott steiner as stormy? Flair as murphy?