Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Q_res posted:

These robotized sheep of the New World Odor... (Yes, he really said that)

This is absolutely the correct anwser. You had Play-by-Play, face color, and heel color. Even when they had to talk over the lower-card matches, they didn't really detract from them. I dunno, it just worked.

Let's not go too far here. There are entire matches from WCW television that a blind person would never know existed based on the commentary. I know a lot of WCW stuff was read from a sheet later on, but there's no excuse to ignore a match all together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Speaking of Medusa, I went looking into why Bigfoot fell off the major circuits and why that piece of poo poo Grave-digger had become the big hit today. I then learned Medusa ended up driving Bigfoot in 2006 for a year and a half. Odd.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I always thought that Rey lost his mask to Eddie?

tzirean posted:

No. Rey was scheduled to lose his mask to Eddie in the outstanding Halloween Havoc mask vs. title match, but at the last second they decided to put Rey over instead.

Rey also said in an interview that before the match where he lost his mask, Eddie came into the locker room and told Rey that if he changed his mind and didn't want to lose it he'd leave with him and tell WCW to gently caress off or something.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I see that RFvideo and Highspots both did a shoot with Steiner, which one is the one you guys are talking about? I'd rather not give money to a company run by a known pedophile.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

DGib posted:

I certainly hope I didn't contribute to a known pedophile.

That would be Robert Feinstein of RF Video

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
You guys should watch the Guest Booker with Jim Cornette, he makes some really good choices and reasons for them, plus Cornette is awesome and sounds awesome all the time.

But, what we really need to ask ourselves is how things would have gone down if the WCW had purchased the WWF.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
To this day my casual wrestling friends think that the warrior who came back in WCW is a look alike because the real warrior died when he left WWF.

I don't know if they're in denial or are just really stupid.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

CSammich posted:

Yes, clearly there is no difference between when an actor acts similar to his character even when not playing that role, and a cyborg cop from the future traveling back in time to help Sting.

Robocop wasn't from the future, he was from Detroit. :colbert:

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Dario Delfino posted:

Oh my God... that ended with Sting and Jake blasting each other with optic lasers...

Yeah watching that made me glad the horsemen beat the poo poo out of Sting and broke his kneecap.

Bonus content: I still have a phobia about people touching my knees because of that angle to this day.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
If you think about it Russo is a damned genius and did a loving fantastic job in his booking. You never knew when something was a legitimate gently caress up or if everything was going perfectly as planned. It was so meta, that even though 10 years has passed people still have no idea what the gently caress.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Lamuella posted:

If someone's booking results in the company losing enough money that it gets shut down despite having the number one rated show on its network, I don't think that you can say the booker is a genius just because you can't figure out how much of what he said was bullshit.

I'm still operating under the assumption that Russo was a WWE plant sent to destroy WCW from the inside. We just haven't seen the payoff yet.

Also, how loving professional is Raven. In that Thundermania video a fan jump the railing and pulls him out of the ring by his hair end over end and Raven doesn't start beating the loving poo poo out of the dude or anything, he stays completely in character and treats it like it's just something else to further him into his pit of depression/despair. What bridges has he burned that he's not working backstage with WWE?

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 10:43 on May 26, 2010

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

My favorite WCW pool of death story is still the one from 3:00 of Botchamania 71:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtK34cFKlfc

Where Van Hammer tries to go against the word of the gods and put Bull Payne in the pool.

I've asked this before in another thread but never got an answer so I'll try again.

Was Van Hammer the wrestler who posted a picture of himself next to a lamp in his living room in GBS or am I thinking of another WCW wrestler like Horace Hogan or Berlin?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Bocc Kob posted:

What could have been?

Mike Tenay: Worse than Russo. :mad:

This led me to Wikipedia:

Bobby Heenan posted:

One particular incident of tension happened on the Nitro following the death of Heenan's longtime best friend Gorilla Monsoon. Heenan was allowed to say a word of honor for Monsoon albeit only a small statement. Word has it that Schiavone was against any mention of Monsoon on the show and Heenan resented him for it. Later on in the show when Schiavone asked for Heenan's opinion on an upcoming tag team match Heenan responded, "I can't hear you from way down here", then mumbled some unintelligible words towards Tony, in tears, before the camera cut away.

Reason #2636223 why Bobby Heenan is the best ever and Tony Shiavone can eat a bag of dicks every morning.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Phenix Rising posted:

Maybe it's an old saying I don't know, but what does "I can't hear you from down here" mean?

Heenan is calling him out. He felt like he was being talked down to, or that Shavonie was on a high horse.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
God in the first video Sting looks like he couldn't give less of a poo poo, and he calls the Scorpion Death Drop the Stinger Death Drop, what in the gently caress....

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

CombineThresher posted:

You know, as awful/confusing as Nitro and Thunder were a lot of the time, WCW Saturday Night was a pretty solid hour or so of wrestling. I've been rewatching the stuff that's up on Youtube and Dailymotion and just loving how simple the format was - even the squash matches are fun because the guys got to just go out there and work without everything being overbooked to death.

Like this match I just finished watching: Raven v. the Renegade

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPpR1kcPzKY

Oh lord I forgot about the The Renegade, WCW's horrible HGH-gut Ultimate Warrior knockoff.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Which are both born from the Terminator 2 theme.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
That's one of the sad things about wrestling today. All the young guys don't have the balls to do stuff like that. Can you imagine Miz or Orton doing stuff like that? And even if there was a wrestler who would there's nowhere for them to go.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

bobkatt013 posted:

I believe that was the case

Which is strange because everyone said Owen was one of the few upstanding people in the business. Unless that talk is all post death fluff. Was it a misunderstanding or is there something else they had heat over?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Red posted:

Huh. Interesting. A quick Google reveals:

I'm not sure what "going beyond nearly wrestler, including Hunter" means, but neat.

Imagine if those two conniving sacks of poo poo would have succeed. It makes Rocky look all the more awesome ascending to the top of the world in spite of these two dip shits efforts to bury him. While everything Triple H has ever accomplished will always be tarnished because before he started politicking and marrying the bosses daughter he was just a random rear end in a top hat named Terra Ryzing.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Jericho first book, "Around the world in spandex" and Milk Foley's first, "Have a nice day" seem to get the most universal praise. There's a wrestling book thread somewhere but I can't run a search from my phone.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
I always thought Hogan was to blame for the bullshit that happened at, and after Starcade. "I know what would be awesome brother, I'll pin Sting clean and have Brett Hart hold the bellman's arm, then all hell will break loose in the ring and Sting will hit a splash and sink in the scorpion deathlock for the win."

That poo poo had to of been Hogan invoking creative control, there's no way Sting, let alone Brett Hart sign up for that poo poo if it came from Dusty, Nash or whoever had the book at that time. I refuse to believe it.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Grandpa Pap posted:

Anything can happen here in the Punch Sport Pagoda! :v:

BUT.... BUT....FANS WE'RE OUTTA TIME WE GOTTA GO, STAY TUNED FOR FYAD!

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

I remember there being a lot of stupid WCW/WB crossovers, although I doubt any of them tops that.

I'm pretty sure Stone Cold was on that USA show about cops on bikes.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
You guys don't know about the 2000/2001 Bash at the Beach search algorithm?

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

Mr. Carlisle posted:

They did a really good job of making it look bigger than it actually was for most of it. Somehow managed the opposite of the TNA Impact Zone effect.

It was also really weird to see Tatanka tagging with heel Sid because I don't remember that at all.

There's some camera work going on but it's mostly the audio that sells the image of a larger venue. Good sound people are worth their weight in shoe kept meat snacks.
ECW had a good one too, but these days anyone not WWE either doesn't know about this or doesn't care enough to spend money on it (UFC is notorious for bad spatial audio)

maniacripper fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 16, 2012

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

SirPhoebos posted:

Let's just stop talking about Star Wars in a Puchsport Pagoda thread, unless there is suddenly a Star Wars themed wrestler.

Wait: Vader :negative:

Vader isn't a sith, he's a Big Van.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON

MassRayPer posted:

Bischoff wanted to unmask Rey. Russo probably would have thought it was a good idea too though. Bischoff didn't think he could connect with the crowd through the mask, and thought he'd be a bigger star without it.

The best part of this whole ordeal is Rey talks about right before going out to unmask Eddie comes up to him and says, "If you don't want to do this we'll loving leave right now" or something to that effect, Eddit had his back :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
Growing up in the 90's and not having cable I was a huge WCW mark.
My brother spent about 6 weeks in the hospital around 1990 in traction for a broken femur and I'd go there on Saturdays to hang out. Nothing pissed me off more than turning on TBS and WCW not being on time.

I present the greatest WCW heels:

I grew up hating the Atlanta braves because they would cut into WCW time. It must have been fate that I finally got a hometown team to root for (Florida Marlins) and they would wind up in the same division as these dastardly bastards.

Seriously to this day, gently caress Ryan Klesko, Chipper Jones, Sid Bream , Tom Glavine, Greg Maddux, David Justice and the rest of them. I wanna see Marcus Alexander Bagwell vs Too Cold Scorpio dammit :colbert: