Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If only WCW had a savior. But what would the savior's story be?

There is no money, no middle class, no justice and no hope. Food is the only commodity in a world divided into social casts: the affluent elite who live in the domed citiesand tattered poor who inherited the unwanted waste lands. Out of this desolate land steps Nash, a massive man with a plan, intent on giving the establishment in the cities a butt kicking and the poor of the waste lands a piece of the pie.....

gently caress yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Everhbody liked Disco Inferno. Even now, at work, if we talk about when "wrestling was good" we always have to brign up Disco Inferno. I mean, he was never a main eventer or anything but at least he was entertaining in a good way, which is more that I can say about much of WCW toward the last 2 and a half years or so.

Also, for the pics that were posted, Nash is looking at Hall with a face that says "Seriously? Really? Puke? On TV? TOO SWEEEEETT!!"

The Norman Smiley pic probably shouldn't be up there as Smiley was like Disco in that he wasn't a top guy but everyone seemed to like him and he was one of the few that, despite the stupid storylines he was in, was always fun to watch. Also, he had a cool bodyslam where he kind of threw them farther, if that makes sense.

The best part of Shirtless Scott Hudson is he is still wearing the tie.

Lastly, does anyone know who Mark Madden is anyway and why he got a commentator spot in Nitro at all?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Can we talk about something that WCW did that I thought was great? I really thought the WCW All-Nighter specials were awesome from top to bottom.

For those not aware, WCW ran a couple of marathons on TBS of old matches and it was hosted by Tony, Larry, Bobby & Gene hanging out in what appeared to be a hotel room like they were having a sleepover of sorts and they would talk about the matches and the angles before and after they showed them.

I was in high school during the Monday Night Wars and me and my friends (read: my dog) watched a LOT of wrestling and I cannot ever recall these marathons.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Rusty Shackelford posted:

That's because they took place before the Monday Night Wars.

Oh, OK. They sound pretty cool. I wish I had seen some of them. Although I would rather they just have Bobby and Gene and jettison Tony and Larry.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

The Hogan spin on the Jericho situation was that he liked him alot and felt he should've been better used by WCW, but it was that terrible backstage politician Kevin Nash that held him down. On the otherhand Nash says that he was pushing for him to have a better role, shown by how still didn't bury him on his way out when he had the book and that they shared an agent.

However the best take on the situation was by Scott Steiner, who said in his shoot that they all wanted him in the NWO, 'which was the best sign that they wanted to kill his heat.' I cannot recommend Steiners shoot video enough.

Where can i get Steiner's video? I bet its one of the greatest things in the world.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Skinty McEdger posted:

Scott Steiners shoot is from RF video. Its not at all what you would expect from him. He's a very reasoned intellegent athelete who has dumb himself down so all those stupid marks can understand him. Oddly enough he hardly hates anyone. Except HHH and Shawn, oh and Buff Bagwell.

I don't know if your being sarcastic about the dumbing down part. But not hating anyone surprises me. I would think he hates like at least half the people in the industry. But why does he hate Bagwell? They were such good friends in the NWO!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3_cUxzLBSQ&feature=related

This was one of the related videos to the Steiner one posted earlier. I thought it was quite hilarious.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Raeg posted:

Please everyone, enjoy the death of Lex Lugar. I noticed an other nice little piece of WCW before the Lex Lugar segment, so I left that in too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ15JYQ5gA

Man, I was watching some older WWF videos yesterday and Heenan was on a bunch of them with a few different partners. Comparing the Brain of old to the Heenan commentating on that clip is like night and day. I know he disliked it there but to hear the difference is just so sad. Poor Bobby.

Also: LUGAR!!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Followed by 5 minutes of explaining the rules that left everyone just as confused as before.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Curtis of Nigeria posted:

There was an excellent clip floating around youtube, from 2 Cold Scorpio's highspot, shoot interview where he pretty much describes the entire incident in full-detail, from Flair cowering in his room until the ordeal ends, to 2 Cold Scorpio saving Arn's life.

Really? Flair is like hiding or something and Arn has to go out there to face Sid? Man, was Scott Steiner right about Flair?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

CM Junk posted:

If you knew Sid had it in for you you'd hide and make a big motherfucker like Arn Anderson take care of it for you too.

True, but its not like Sid was after Flair. He was still after Arn.

Looks like Arn didn't enforce too much on that go-round.

Also, remember when Flair was in the insane asylum and out of nowhere, BAM SCOTT HALL!!! I think Hall and Flair just said hi or something and it went to commercial and it was never mentioned again. I mean Flair had a storyline going so he had a reason to be there, but Hall just made a cameo, I guess? He had been off TV awhile, but WCW calls him up and says "Hey, come back to TV. In an asylum. As a patient. For a 5-second shot. And that's all. Cuz it'll be funny."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I still want to see some of the vignettes before this. Apparently they scrapped the gimmick because some advocacy group thought that the vignettes made it appear as though Seven/Se7en/whatever was a child predator. I'm really curious as to how it came across that way.

I think there was some promo where he was standing or floating outside some kid's window just staring in at him all creepy like.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I've always ranked hogan/goldberg along with hogan/Austin as the two biggest ppv moneymakers that could have been done in a company but never were. At least in the last decade or so

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Ktik posted:

I remember some dirtsheet saying Hogan was supposed to beat Goldberg to defeat the streak which Nash instead did, so maybe that was also apart of the compromise. Nash gets the win and Hogan gets the title.

Could Hogan be any lazier???

(meeting)
Hogan: I want my title back from that spoon Goldberg!

Bischoff: Well, wait until after Starrcade. Its the biggest show of the year and I dont think its smart to have our biggest face lose at the biggest show to a hated heel.

Hogan: Creative control, brother!

Bischoff: Dammit. Fine. You win the belt back at Starrcade. Or whenever you want, I guess. gently caress it. Just try and have a good long match to entertain the fans.

Hogan: That doesn't work for me, Jack! Wrestlings hard and I have no interest in a long hard match with that tool!

Bischoff: Jesus Christ. So, you want the belt, but you dont want to have a hard match? You just somehow want Goldberg to lose the belt and you gain it, but without you wrestling any match?

Hogan: Make it happen.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I was so excited at the beginning when Warrior came out. Me and my friends would all watch wrestling at someone's house and we all thought it was awesome when Warrior came out. 17 agonizing minutes later, we all had this stupid look on our face like "what just happened here?" Warrior became huge by having blood-pumping music, running his rear end off to the ring, and winning in like 5 minutes.

So WCW lets him ramble philosophically and the segment dies a slow death. And he only had like 3 matches there. I don't know how they screwed that up so badly. My 16-year-old self and all my friends and everyone at school was so psyched about him coming back and it turned into one big "meh."

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Salt In The Wound posted:

I would love to see a pic or vid of these, my quick Youtube search came up short.

Its not 3 Count, but its 3 guys.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUN-BLanIRg&feature=PlayList&p=7C165210DF70224E&playnext_from=PL&playnext=1&index=37

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Salt In The Wound posted:

Needed more belly-to-belly suplexes though.

This could be applied to literally all aspects of my life.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Vince Russo was "Vic Venom," editor of WWf magazine. I used to read it all the time.

How strange a man whose career was to make sure other people's work was cut down to its purest form became infamous for basically having no rhyme or reason or editing at all whatsoever to his own ideas.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Lamuella posted:

was Steiner over enough to be allowed to do all this, or were WCW management just loving terrified of him?

Yes to both.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

CSammich posted:

He wasn't that over - this was 2000 WCW, nobody was really over anymore.

Perhaps, but he still was more over than most of the roster of my memory serves. Once he turned heel on Rick, I thought Scott remained one of the most over members on the roster. Wasn't that why they gave him the belt?

Maybe it just seemed that way to my 17-year-old self, but Steiner was one of the few reasons I ever flipped over to WCW past mid-1999.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Dario Delfino posted:

The best was about a year before the shoot promo, when Steiner ran down a road worker with his car and got arrested. I swear he was wearing an nWo shirt in his mug shot. Can't find it of course, but Wiki says the incident took place in April '98.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I believe it was a PPV in '96 or '97, but for one of the many matches that Piper and Hogan had, it was stated again and again in the build-up to the show that Piper come up with the stipulations for the match himself, and that it was clearly billed as a World title match. However, when Piper won with the sleeper and everyone filled the ring to celebrate, it was suddenly announced that he had only won the match, which was a non-title bout. Not only is that a blatant bait-and-switch, but also makes Piper look like one of the dumbest men alive.

I think that was Starrcade '96. The biggest show of the year with the biggest heel in the business as world champ losing in the main event.

Non-title.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I posted:

WCW paid Lanny Poffo $200,000 per year and had him under contract for four years, during which time he sat at home and did nothing.

Now, that's the sort of job I want; getting around $4000 a week to do nothing.

That's why he's The Genius and we aren't.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Endorph posted:

Wait, what the hell? The Great Muta was both in every match, and LOST every match?

It was a tournament. Muta was in 3 matches and lost all of them to Sting, Flair, and Luger.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I still buy the DVDs but its always at a cd exchange I found. They have a shitload of WWE dvds for 6.99 each so I get one every week or so. The DVD with the most copies? Bad Blood 2004 for some reason. I got the RR 06 and 10 last week.

I'm usually the only one looking at them but a few weeks ago a kid about 7 or 8 ran over to them and every cover he looked at made him more and more excited.

"Batista! Oh cool!"

"Undertaker!! Awesome!!!"

"JOHN CENA!! YOU CAN'T SEE ME!! (does the hand gesture)Do you like John Cena mister?"

Me: "I-"

Kid: "I like John Cena cuz he never gives up and hes so strongandihaveallhistshirts!"

Me: "I like John Cena too."

Kid: :haw:

That kid followed me around the store for like 10 minutes telling me how much he loves wrestling and all his favorite guys and who he hates. He talked just like Dash from The Incredibles.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

He hates Miz because he's "so stupid" and has a "stupid face."
He really hates Wade Barrett stemming back from Nexus forcing Cena to do stuff and getting Cena fired. This kid was really worried about John Cena not wrestling again.
He also hates Del Rio because Del Rio hurt Mysterio and Mysterio is so much smaller than everyone else so hes always getting hurt but he still wins a lot.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Taz seems to not give a gently caress anymore. Near the end of his WWE run it seemed like he was unhappy and watching recent stuff and comparing his commentary in like 08 or so to 5 years earlier, he's just totally different.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Pneub posted:

I think they needed a non-nWo heel, so they just went with Raven.

Hogan and Goldberg have a staredown while Nash also glares at Goldberg. Raven looks at the viewer with a combination of apathy and boredom.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Bischoff's book is almost completely horrible. He either has the worst memory in the world (his memory is pretty bad) or is just blatantly lying the whole way through.

Pay no attention to this review as its wrong.

Bischoff's book is completely horrible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Looking back I think Ed Leslie was the worst wrestler of the 90s. He was always god awful but kept his job for 10 years despite having nothing other than Hogan friendship. Even Sid had a good match or two and a ton of charisma. Ed Leslie is seriously one of the best examples that WCW was always retarded.

Leslie was visible as an Nwo member on TV. Van Hammer didnt get inserted into angles with the top stars. I mean, you think Van Hammer was seriously worse than, say, Giant Gonzalez?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Hirams Bitch posted:

Also, Mysterio/Guerrero was a great match, but it wasn't the best match of the year. It wasn't the best match of the month.

I assume you mean HBK/UT?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Scott Steiner was the man to beat Goldberg, somewhere in the summer of 99.

This right here is perhaps the truest thing to ever be put on the internet.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

post everywhere without double checking.

My kind of posting style. Now check out this old WCW ad I found in USA Today!

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/...rt/birdshit.jpg

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Sue Denim posted:

Hunter will probably take car of him.)

Heenan: You need to take care of Flair! YOU NEED TO TAKE CARE OF FLAIR!!!

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I THINK it was the highest non-WrestleMania PPV they've ever had.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I emailed Meltzer and he replied that Invasion got 775,000 buys.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I wonder why they panicked so bad. I could understand maybe nowadays because they're so desperate to strike gold they dont want to wait for a slow burn type of storyline but back in 01 they were super-popular in so many ways you'd think they'd not blow their wad in a knee-jerk reaction. Its not like they were on the verge of bankruptcy and the next PPV had to keep them alive.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

flashy_mcflash posted:

Or Jeff Jarrett for that matter.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

I think he disliked both Heenan and Tenay in some weird kind of power trip bullshit where he knew what was happening but he kept it from the others. I thought he was a good announcer because he really knew the history behind stuff plus he just has a commentator's voice to me. I heard he got bitter after being passed over in favor of Bischoff taking the reigns of the company.

Plus no one could spin that straw into gold talking about WCW in its dying years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

Schiavone hates Tenay. Always has.

To be fair, does anyone not hate Tenay?