Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
gently caress, I don't even remember saying that. Looks like one of my posts, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
One of my favorite moments during the time we've been watching Nitro on PSP TV was the episode where Lex Luger camped out in front of the arena before getting a WCW world title shot. Like he was waiting for concert tickets to go on sale or some poo poo. What a weird principle to gain a title shot by. Imagine if WWE worked this way:

"Vickie, I lost my title to Daniel Bryan last night and I'd like to invoke my rematch clause!"

"Well, I'd like to give you your title match John, but Heath Slater asked first. And you know the rules..."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If only because it keeps him from making GBS threads up wrestling by appearing for anybody.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

"When a lazy seven foot tall man throws you headfirst into a trailer and refers to you as the Human Dart, that's hard times, daddy!

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

oatgan posted:

"The UFC is actually fairly easy to get into and anyone can compete"

Wasn't that sorta true in the early days, though? I remember back in the period where every show was a tourney, a lot of fake-rear end dudes who invented their own style would enter the tourney.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Backstage Assault was the first time I rented a video game and felt, within minutes, how disappointed I was :(. WCW was the first promotion I got into due to Channel 5 showing those ridiculous Worldwide shows at 7pm on Fridays, so I was psyched for a new WCW game, particularly since I had had so much fun with the WWE Smackdown games. It was so bad.

I have fond memories of Mayhem though, even if it hasn't aged as well as Revenge/World Tour like folks have already said. Highlights included a look at how Goldberg REALLY ended up in WCW, unlocking Mean Gene and hearing his intro ("Now entering the ring... me!") and Tony and Brain mocking you when you did the same move over and over ("Wake up Brain! He's doing that move again!").

It was also, as far as I know, the only pro wrestling game where you could create wrestlers who were a.) completely invisible or b.) floating heads with invisible bodies.

Mayhem had some decent game mechanics, it was like No Mercy on a budget with a WCW roster. But it was kinda lazy about move assignment which resulted in this gem: I was playing as Raven once, and I was wrestling Scott Norton. Norton gets me in the corner and lifts me to be seated on the top turnbuckle. I assume at the time, that he's either gonna superplex me or superbomb me. Nope.

He instead goes for a SUPER HURRICANRANA. I reverse it, thankfully, and turn into a superbomb. I probably could have pinned him right there, but after that, I choose to pick him up and Evenflow him whilst Bobby and Tony lose their poo poo as much as the pre-programmed commentary will let them over what just happened.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Rodney the Piper posted:

"Supposedly Hogan said "No more jobs.""

What jobs did he actually do?!

He lost to Arn Anderson. And there was the goofy title switch to the Giant where hen lost via DQ and Jimmy Hart screwed him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I love the non-chalant way he just wanders off, like drilling Hogan in the back of the leg is as common as making a sandwich is for him.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

Is there going to be a thing today?

My friend, we are watching Pancrase in http://www.psp-tv.com/r/mma4pay if you care to partake.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
That ladder was a fighting champion, goddammit.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The thing Russo doesn't realize is that usually when people pop for a title change, it's because a bad guy has held the belt for a long time, or that an underdog the crowd likes is challenging for the title, or because it's a great finish that gets people off their feet. A new champion is a neat thing...when you're 12. That's not wrestling's core audience though.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

One of the things I remember most fondly about Nitro is the stuff that TNT put on afterwards:

- The Mortal Kombat TV series, with guest star MENG
- The Island of Dr. Moreau, starring a really pasty/fat Marlon Brando
- The Postman, where Kevin Costner becomes a super mailman in the apocalypse

I'd try to think of more, but honestly, I feel like I must've seen Dr. Moreau and The Postman a million times. I think Waterworld got in there, too.

Meng totally powerbombed a dude on that show.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
His finish in WCW was a hotshot (called the Stun Gun), then a submission hold called the Hollywood and Vine. To my knowledge, he never used a stunner in WCW.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Sep 4, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Undertaker's bizarre phantom mask was Watts' idea. So not EVERYTHING.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
So was Bulldog Bob Brown.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Phenix Rising posted:

They did do this in TNA as well, though I can't recall if they actually fought Sting. I just remember Anderson in the old Surfer Sting garb (maybe Eric Young was involved, too?) to poke fun at Sting.

Eric Young dressed up as Muta. They actually had a pretty entertaining match as their "characters".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

I mean, it could be argued that Funk, Foley and Onita in WAR introduced deathmatch wrestling to Japan.

Which is obviously a big deal.

It'd be more FMW and IWA Japan than WAR. WAR shows were more "something for everybody" than the other two (although, if you look at the famous IWA KOTDM show that Mick won, there's something for most audiences there, too).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

tzirean posted:

I think you could truthfully say the HoF difference between Foley and Sting is that Foley was in enough right places at enough right times, while Sting was in too many wrong places at too many wrong times. It could just be that simple.

I think more importantly, Mick was vital to more organizations than Sting. In a way, Sting's refusal to work for WWE hurt him. Mick Foley was vital to WWE's success during the attitude era, but he also helped IWA Japan, WCW, World Class (as a member of the Devastation Corporation), and ECW. And the list of guys that Mick helped "make" is a mile long. Sting didn't really make anybody a star.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Skinty McEdger posted:

Sting had t-shirts, but they were never iconic and often really bad "superstar photo" shirts that never really sell much except for kids. He had no iconic catchphrase that they could use, and in fact theres an argument that "it's showtime" was a lucklaster attempt to cash in on it.

His action figures sold pretty well though. So much so that they were often paired up with Hogan in dual blisters, particularly when Hogan's toy sales dropped.

There was a simple scorpion shirt that sold fairly well after the nWo started, I think.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Willninho posted:

Watching a lot of the late 1996, Hogan was amazing with his promos once he settled into the Hollywood stuff. His early promos were just Hulk stuff basically but whether him or someone directed him to go heavy into the Hollywood stuff it worked great. He was so overbearing in 1995/96 so his getting to be a heel was great.

Have you seen him comparing an nWo assault to the U.S. Gov't burning David Koresh's Waco compound to the ground? Pure insanity, and rambling as gently caress, too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Nick Bockwinkel is definitely my favourite thing about watching AWA. Yes, even better than Bruiser Brody pretending to have brain damage.

Track down his Memphis angle where he loses a non-title match to Jerry Lawler, and claims afterwards the only reason Lawler wins is because he's a great puncher (which is a great way of being a heel while also putting Jerry over), so he proposes Lawler's AWA title match have a stip: For every punch Lawler uses, he'll be charged $500. Actually, gently caress it, here it is, because I am a kind and giving man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA Part 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmsHSzMIcLU Part 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoVjxavJS0 Part 3

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

david carmichael posted:

Ted Dibiase sort of stands out as a dude who maybe doesn't belong with everybody else in HOF.

He was, for a while, the top heel for the top drawing territory in the U.S., a very solid worker for about a decade plus, and had one of the greatest gimmicks ever (and performed magnificently in it). It's a not a slam dunk, but I get why he's in.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

haljordan posted:

Didn't he get tased by Hall? I think I remember borrowing my friend's black box decoder to watch that PPV.

Yeah, and I believe Disco Inferno got involved too.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Man, can you imagine a GDT for Bash at the Beach if it were to happen today? People would be going nuclear.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also at this point they've figured out how to react to Cena getting boo'd whereas they probably panicked like hell when it started with Hogan.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Schlitzkrieg Bop posted:

Oh okay, that makes sense. For some reason I thought he was working heel through his time in the AWA.

He was a heel in his first run in WWE (and got really racial with Tony Atlas) and was managed by Grand Wizard.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also, Andre shrank, it's possible Show did as well. There's also the fact that Show spent a lot of time in WCW standing next to people like Kevin Sullivan and Jimmy Hart who are pretty drat tiny.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
In Armando's case it's that he was a very good talker and a crappy wrestler.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Chris Gaines posted:

Why was Estrada fired?

Umaga got absorbed into a McMahon angle, and when they did Umaga vs Lashley at WM, creative decided there had been far too many people at ringside. They made him ECW GM for awhile, decided it wasn't working after about a year. He opened a restaurant, it didn't work out, he briefly came back to WWE as Tyson Kidd's manager, when they had a brief plan to push Kidd where he'd search for a manager, and I guess Estrada wasn't it.

The impression I got was always that he just fell by the wayside. He didn't have heat or gently caress somebody he shouldn't have. He just didn't make himself indispensable enough for WWE management, who aren't super fond of mangers nowadays anyways.

I remember when they were building up Umaga by having him kill jobbers dead, they had him do a pre-match promo in the ring Umaga's opponent where he said something to effect of "I have heard, mang, that joo are toughest man in Tejas.....Unfortunately, Umaga is not from Tejas. Good luck, amigo."

I don't know what indy kid they got to do the honors that night, but I hope he got a little something extra in his pay envelope, because he bumped his rear end off for Umaga. Just a wholesale slaughter.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 19, 2013

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Kevin Sullivan was very close to ECW at the time. He would make offers to talent or go through Nancy. Bischoff did have ties to Japan, but relatively few full time wrestlers came in through New Japan. Norton is one of the only ones. Most came from ECW or from Mexico, and Sullivan played a large role in getting the first ones in because he saw what was happening in ECW. Soon after Bischoff started signing a ton of talent himself (often brokered by Konnan) but Sullivan deserves a lot of credit here.

It should be noted that the main reason he had ties to ECW was that Tod Gordon and Bill Alfonso were feeding him info about ECW contracts and when they would be up (with the plan apparently being another invasion angle), and the reason Alfonso did a humongous bladejob as well as the job for Beulah in a singles match was because Heyman demanded it in order to save his job after finding out.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
He sure did. And Red insisted he make the autograph out to him instead of Eric.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
There's two Sting moves: One was on PPV only and was a romantic comedy called the Real Reason Men Commit Crimes, and there was also Shutterspeed.

He was also on Walker, Texas Ranger as a drug dealer.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

I am still kind of stunned by how bad WCW was last night. The two go home shows for Halloween Havoc 96, the show with the biggest singles match of the year so far in WCW was built up with a dozen boring, plodding matches that should have been squashes and the most disturbing storyline we've seen out of Nitro so far.

The nWo has taken Miss Elizabeth hostage. She makes a tearful video begging Randy to take her back, apologizing for everything she's done, etc. Savage flips out and leaves the building, walking out on his match. The nWo then brings Liz to the ring and cuts a promo on Savage while intimidating her.

The next week Savage has another match scheduled, Hogan cuts a promo from the set of 3 Ninjas HIGH NOON AT MEGA MOUNTAIN in his ridiculous costume and hairpiece from the movie and once again intimidates Liz. Savage, dressed as one of the Strangers from Dark City freaks out, says some stuff and walks out. What Savage said struck me as disturbing but I was so sick of these shows by the time it aired that I can't even tell you what he said. Eric Bischoff stood there looking shocked. This was the end of the go home show. Somehow more people watched these shows than Raw.

Star power frequently outdoes creative prowess, and WWE lacked both at the time.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Those shows didn't even have star power, after the main event build the biggest star was Luger, and he was in two squashes. Granted one of them was amazing with Roadblock being too fat to rack two times in a row, leading to Luger shrugging and hoisting him up the third time, but these shows were... ugh.

The nWo was hot at the time though, and they appeared on the first one. That matters, even if they didn't do much.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

sk posted:

hunter is over. hunter has always been over

Actually before he got put in DX with HBK he wasn't getting poo poo in terms of heat.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What about his partner Chest Rockwell?

They're legally married now, you can say "wife".

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I suspect the problem is Gene just didn't care anymore, kinda like Bobby Heenan. WCW didn't exactly inspire maximum effort from the talent.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
How do you lose half of 9 matches? I mean, he would pretty much have to lose slightly less or slightly more, wouldn't he?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Jerusalem posted:

God help me, I am genuinely intrigued by the Hogan/Piper match, though not for optimistic reasons. I don't think I've ever actually seen the match.

The hosed up part is that it isn't even their worst WCW match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

Bodyslams is a great read because GMC comes off as such a weirdly normal dude. Half of his road stories are about how wrestlers who traveled with him had to come on his many shopping trips to buy presents for his family. He's one of the few people who got close to both management and talent, but isn't a super sleazy guy so there isn't much dirt. It's mostly interesting stories about his interactions with people in a very interesting time for wrestling.

Supposedly Harvey Wippleman's book is more of the same, I wanna read it. What makes it interesting is that Harv traveled with Sid a lot, and being a nut wasn't just a gimmick for Sid.