Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I was watching one of the Road Wild events the other day, the DDP/Jay Leno one, and yeah all the commentators have hilarious outfits and no one actually liked working the shows. The outdoor ring surrounded by bikers was a hell of a visual, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If he hadn't talked about DVDR multiple times already you'd be able to put the pieces together by how he booked CM Punk using Miseria Cantare for a special entrance the exact way everyone online fantasy booked it back in, like, 2010, and then he immediately followed it up by putting BREE WOO Jarrett on TV. It's such a funny bit of lore. AEW is made for an audience of two: people who were deep in the indies and wrestling in-jokes in, like, 2006-2012, and people who thought WCW kinda whipped rear end even when it sucked. And unfortunately I am exactly the demographic for it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Long before I was even a wrestling fan I rented WCW/nWo Revenge from Hollywood Video and played the hell out of it. My biggest memory is finding the edit mode, giving The Giant his green suit, and renaming him "SUPER LUIGI".

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Oh man, I haven't even thought about transferring my saves to my Everdrive. I have all my old carts still and some No Mercy saves from an emulator too, complete with a full roster of CAWs. Before copies of the game got stupid expensive my friend and I would always bring an N64 to cons we went to and go thrifting for used copies of No Mercy in the dealer's room. One time we found one where the only CAWs were Batista, an original creation...and Ted DiBiase Jr. Good times. :allears:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Ultimate Muscle: Legends vs New Generation and Galactic Wrestling Featuring Ultimate Muscle both came out in the US and they are fun as hell. I hope Fight Forever is as fun as those because I sank hours and hours into them.

AKI became Syn Sophia and made the Style Savvy games (and more recently Fashion Dreamer) which...are also extremely fun in completely different ways.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I've been watching a solid amount of classic WCW and I'm realizing that it feels like absolutely no one talks about The York Foundation at all. I didn't even know they existed until they started showing up on old Fall Brawls and such. It's weird because you'd think they'd at least get clowned on a little by wrestling fans for being a little gimmicky or at least an odd unique stable but I feel like they're never discussed.

And I don't get it because I think they're awesome! Terri Runnels as Alexandra York has such a cool look with the briefcase and suit, I love the gimmick of everyone in the stable using their full names like Terrence Taylor, and I dunno, I just think they're cool. I'm going to retroactively become the biggest York Foundation mark the way people in 2009 evangelized John Tenta or Stan Hansen.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

"You didn't get Goldberg, and you didn't get Sting, but you got Buff, and he's the Stuff!" is possibly the funniest wrestling story this side of The Iggy AKA The Office so that alone justifies his cover star status.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

God I love the Hogan one so much. Kevin Sullivan and a cackling Giant, "THERE ARE NO HULKAMANIACS HERE", the weird garden set. It's all so good.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Lid posted:

No one knew what they had with Jericho and I'm including WWF in this. That his best year ever was probably 2019 is both an indictment of how it took that long for him to get the feather in his cap and praise that AEW knew what he was and ran with it.

Even when we won wrestler of the year for 2009 or so and The List etc. That 2019 run was what put him on the short list of GOAT comparisons to Flair given longevity, consistency, and that he didn't fall off.

It sounds crazy but I've been feeling this exact same way. It was his AEW/ROH run that solidified him as one of the all time greats, and I think that's pretty special.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

The WOODMASTER

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWj3I9L3sqg&t=322s

why does he keep saying it like that

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I went down to the hood, and they said 'WOOD

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Gary Hart was cool as hell. He's one of those big time underrated managers/valets that I studied a lot of back in the day. Dude was captivating, a killer on the mic, and sold you on Abby by being convincing and cold himself. If someone who felt like they could take care of business is telling you his guy is a big deal, you believed it.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Larry Sweeney was the first wrestling death that absolutely shattered me. He really was incredible.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

God, Nick Bockwinkel loving ruled

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

As far as I'm aware, stuff on YouTube is fine since it's pretty freely accessible. Old school wrestling is always fun to spread around.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

2 Cold Scorpio slander?!?!

You can badmouth so many things about that era and you choose 2 Cold Scorpio?! The nerve...

It's fun to look back at older eras. There's so much interesting stuff that just never gets talked about, even by hardcore fans. The day I found out about The York Foundation was life-changing.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I'm an unapologetic Sir Oliver Humperdink mark.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

One time I was backstage with Kevin Sullivan and he walked over, complimented our production setup, and then grabbed a bottle of hydrogen peroxide and drank from it

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Learning that Seven was meant to be a Dark City gimmick made it make a lot more sense. Dustin was actually really into the gimmick too, but it was too expensive to maintain and the vignettes just didn't work. Wild times.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Yes, hence the comment about the vignettes not working.

Apparently they were supposed to represent corruption of the innocent or his own inner child or something? lmfao

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

:allears:

Thunder in the year 2000 is in retrospect one of the most consistently entertaining programs to drop in and watch a random episode of. Not "good" by any metric ever but between Kanyon cuttering everyone while cosplaying DDP and Terry Funk dressed as a janitor and attacking people in stairwells it's a blast. There's so much fun in WCW, even when it sucked.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Germansimp posted:

God, that poo poo was so loving awesome:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64_Ne-k6WX0

:allears:

So drat fun. Who Betta.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

One of the first wrestling DVDs I ever bought when I was first getting into it was a two-pack of Rise & Fall of ECW and ONS05 that I found in the bargain bin. I knew about ECW because of WWECW and also Mick Foley's books, which helped kickstart my love of it all, and watching those two DVDs back to back blew my mind.

I ripped ONS 05 to my PSP and for a while it was the only thing I had to watch during a really difficult time in my life, so I'll always love the show, but I was especially intrigued with Awesome vs. Tanaka because they were both totally new to me and the match was so absolutely loving crazy and unlike anything I had seen before even on that very show. Their matches were so great. God bless them for going so hard and being part of that secret sauce that made me fall in love with this weird little artform.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Lid posted:

DDP just posted this to reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/s/RRTOdl1bJe

He hadn't heard how much Macho respected him until today

Two of my all time favorites, what a great find! The comment DDP left was great too. I love DDP so much.

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Steve "Steve" Borden

All-time great dirtsheet typo

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If only the Hulk Hogan Vape Juice could have smoked the competition

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Barry Stevens was the funniest jobber of all time

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Ice Train ruled, sad news :smith:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Sandman from ECW posted:

He looks like the dude from Showgirls

E: but with white hair

That was Kyle MacLachlan, yes.

Majinfoose posted:

The three faces of Cooper

So Dale, Bob, and Dougie?

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

He drinks viscous red liquid!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Now you're reminding me of Luger showing up on the first Nitro in a puffy pirate shirt and somewhere there is a timeline where he and Gangrel are a weird-rear end vampire tag team.

Add in Jean-Pierre Lafitte and you've got yourself a winner

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

davidbix posted:

But...

Have you heard it mashed up with his rap theme that he used in other promotions? It works shockingly well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Akoj39vgylU

Heard it? My bumper sticker makes sure everyone knows I listen to it!

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Long, long before I watched wrestling, Giant was my favorite wrestler in the world because I rented WCW/nWo Revenge and put him in the green biker outfit and renamed him SUPER LUIGI and dominated all the modes with him. And then my friend who did watch wrestling rented some WWF game and I asked if Giant was in it because he was the only wrestler I knew and that's how I learned about Big Show.

And if WCW did one thing so right it was Buffer's title match introductions. I love when he's doing the announcing and he's just like "THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPION OF THE WORLD...HE...IS.....GIANT!". Like, yeah, not THE Giant, he's just Giant. That's what he is. Badass. :hai:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

One day I should hit up the Wayback Machine, dig up the old forum thread he's probably sourcing these from (it was infamous back in the day and would often make the rounds), and back it up somewhere. I would hate for my favorite story ever (Buff Bagwell pissing off a UK house show crowd with a terrible promo) to be lost.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

For me it was going through Fire Pro Wrestling Returns' Edit Mode religiously, which is why it always makes me smile when I can tell Excalibur did the same :allears:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nick Bockwinkel was so good. I love watching his old clips.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Edge & Christian posted:

Rave was Lodi's reworked gimmick after the West Hollywood Blondes got killed. Frog was a North Carolina indie guy who wrestled as Toad on the indies (including Omega) and worked a handful of WCW shows in 2000, teaming with Lodi and/or PG-13.

He was a big guy with green hair. Here's the only photo I found online of him, in its original format!

Wrestling rules so much

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

If only Toad could've helped WCW leapfrog the competition

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

WCW: Frog Appreciation Station

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I desperately want to change the thread title to be WCW: Frog Appreciation Station or something similar but the current title has been a thing since, according the notes, 2013, and I don't want to gently caress with such storied history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

karmicknight posted:

If Only the WCW Frog could have hopped to greener pastures.

If only Frog could have helped WCW leap to the top of the ratings :(