Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I imagine if they hadn't gone so anti Hogan when X-pac came back to WWE they could have pitched a returning Hogan joining up with DX as him having already worked with one half of the Kliq so he's right at home with DX

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I could imagine some solid shenanigans out of pairing Macho Man with any of Mick Foley's personas whether as an opponent or as a tag team

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I really need to find out where you guys are finding all these old Wrestling shows outside of what WWE has made available

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

I'm rewatching the entire Monday Night War/Attitude Era using this checklist:

This is gonna be fun. 2 Cold Scorpio is so cringe. Everything is cringe in both WCW and WWF at the time. Wrestling was so weird in 1993 lol. I am having a great time with it though, I've never seen any wrestling this old before. I've watched no 80s stuff at all and my 90s experience is limited to the odd 90s PPVs I saw growing up and the Raw/Smackdowns I saw a while ago on WWE Network

Got a link to that checklist?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Thanks

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Decided to do a Monday Night War watch using that list posted earlier and watching Raw episode 1, probably my third or fourth time watching it and here's some thoughts on everything as I watch it;

They really overdo it with the fat jokes in this Yokozuna and Koko B Ware match they open with, also they make a joke about Koko being a grown up Gary Coleman that feels vaguely racist even though it probably wasn't the intent

Narcissus might just be one of the stupidest ring names I've ever heard in the admittedly relatively short time I've been a wrestling fan

Scott Steiner here in 1993 compared to the living meme he becomes by the end of the decade is a world of difference, also Rick Steiner is able to pull off wearing a tie-dye singlet without looking like an idiot for one simple reason, he's got the same sort of "this man could probably wrestle a bear and win" energy we'd see about a decade later with Brock Lesnar

Bobby Heenan in drag has not aged very well

Razor Ramon's outfit here just screams 1993(though the outfit Owen was wearing in the footage they showed of Razor attacking him is just as powerfully 1993)

Tatanka's whole gimmick has not aged well at all

Max Moon is a very unusual design, while Shawn Michaels is wearing a shirt that is more chains than fabric

They're doing this really loving dumb bit with Vince talking to "Mike Tyson" on the phone and it's so drat corny

This WWF Mania commercial meanwhile is the good kind of corny

Marty Janetty really comes off as a generic dope compared to HBK

Mr Fuji just makes me uncomfortable at how blatantly racist his gimmick is

Now Bobby Heenan is trying to pretend to be a Rabbi and barely even trying

What the ever living gently caress is this segment with Kamala?

Paul Bearer is just having either an orgasm or a stroke and its making me uncomfortable

Very mixed bag overall but for their very first episode not bad all things considered

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

He was the 11-time winner of Big Dave's Worst Manager Awards, until he was replaced by Sonny Onoo. I never understood why anyone thought either of those characters was a good idea. I mean, I understand it, but I don't understand it.

I think what makes him especially uncomfortable isn't just that he's a racist gimmick, it's it being a racist gimmick that feels a good 20 to 30 years out of date for the era it's in, probably why I got so surprised by that Kamala segment too

Anyways I watched part of Clash of The Champions 22 last night after Raw #1 and it's funny seeing all these guys who either will become huge later in the decade(Steve Austin, Mick Foley) and/or undergo radical alterations(like Sting or Rick Rude), and seeing Chris Benoit in anything will always be a bit awkward, 2 Cold Scorpio had a very "interesting" intro video gimmick, and the opening bit with Tony Schiavone and Bill Watts was funny if for nothing else than the fact that Bill is like twice Tony's size

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Lol, anyways watching more of Clash and why the hell is WCW doing Arm Wrestling and treating it as something worth giving PPV* time to

Also it's funny contrasting how WWF and WCW treat talking about or showing Wrestlers not currently employed by them, WWF usually tries to pretend they don't exist while WCW doesn't care and will gladly talk about or show old footage featuring people no longer with them at the time like the Steiner Brothers or Ric Flair

*yes I know Clash isn't actually a PPV but whatever

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

I knew it was briefly popular for a bit in the 80's(mostly because of that one Sylvester Stallone movie) but didn't think it would extend into the 90's

Also Cactus Jack winning a major match thanks mostly by beating the poo poo out of a bunch of guys with a boot is just magical, also man the audience is loving him and it astounds me that WCW didn't realize the talent they had in a guy like him in the long run(like yeah sure that could be said about a lot of guys but it especially sticks out with Mick Foley)

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

DeathChicken posted:

The other similar story was Warrior stiffing Rick Rude, so he told him "If you do that one more time I'm going to knock you out." Warrior did, Rude open hand slapped him into unconsciousness

These are some of my favorite wrestling stories, a wrestler's job after all is putting on a performance where it looks like they're beating the ever loving poo poo out of each other while in reality are trying to minimize the actual damage they inflict(at least if they're competent), so Warrior getting a much deserved reminder that the people he's being too stiff with are generally all much better than him at doing the dance but are also better at committing violence if they feel the need to take the kid gloves off is both karmic and comedic gold

See also pretty much anytime an audience member tries to interfere with a match or when a non-wrestler thinks that because "wrestling is fake" that they can totally take on a wrestler when they're off the clock even though the guy has a foot of height and 150 pounds of muscle more than them

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

NorgLyle posted:

One of my other favorite parts of those moments are when the idiot fan gets caught by one of the referees... who also proceeds to kick the living poo poo out of them.

A fair bit more recent but now thinking back to when that moron tackled Bret Hart at that WWE Hall of Fame ceremony back in 2019, and he honestly got lucky that he got knocked out pretty quickly cause he was surrounded by like 50 very very upset wrestlers and under less ideal conditions(like say if Bret had gotten seriously hurt) he probably would have left the building in a body bag

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

kevin nash was talking on his podcast about rick rude and how rude couldnt roll a joint to save his life

Heh

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

HonorableTB posted:

Wrestler's Court produced the funniest and also dumbest situations I've ever heard of in pro wrestling. Systematic informalized bullying but it resulted in Miz having to get dressed in the hallway for a while because he ate fried chicken over someone's wrestling bag and covered all their gear in chicken crumbs and when wrestlers court was limited to things like that, where no one got hurt or seriously humiliated and someone learned to have respect for their coworkers, it's great. When Al Snow and Mick Foley were hauled in front of wrestlers court for ditching Bob Holly and having to pay his road expenses for a week, that was funny and also fair.

When it resulted in JBL hauling in Melina because of a bet with the boys over how long it would take him to make her cry, it was bad and abusive and also gently caress JBL

Yeah the Wrestlers Court as a way of resolving petty issues without involving Management is a good idea but it definitely is ripe for abuse

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Halloween Jack posted:

On the contrary, everything about Wrestlers' Court and JBL's bullshit has Vince's stink all over it.

Hence what I said about it being ripe for abuse,

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They turned Jason Jordan into Kurt Angle’s secret son that he was ashamed of because there was a rumor that Kurt found black women attractive.

Honestly there's enough of a similarity in appearance between them that that gimmick was happening right around the time I started watching WWE on the regular for the first time and it actually took me a couple months to realize it was a gimmick because I was still new enough to wrestling as something I actually paid attention to that I was still learning how everything worked

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How old are you?

33, I just didn't really pay much attention to Wrestling till around 2015-2016 for some reason

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Angry_Ed posted:

Now you're reminding me of Luger showing up on the first Nitro in a puffy pirate shirt and somewhere there is a timeline where he and Gangrel are a weird-rear end vampire tag team.

With celebrity guest referee Jerry Seinfeld

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Is it a bad thing that I've been a wrestling fan for almost a decade now and I still can barely remember specifics when it comes to wrestling moves beyond the super basic stuff?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

something wholesome in relation to Sting's retirement match that's also thread relevant;

https://twitter.com/patbaer/status/1765070520977113412

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Suplex Liberace posted:

they all deserved it

While I wouldn't say they deserved it, they all definitely did antagonize New Jack which is one of the dumbest things a human being can do, so you know play stupid games win stupid prizes

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Sandman from ECW posted:

The indy guy threw some stiff punches against New Jack and now everyone wants to victim blame New Jack for defending himself? Yikes. Gross. Highly Problematic.

Like I said New Jack would go too far but also being stiff on someone like New Jack is just digging your own grave

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Drakkel posted:

Remember when Hogan used to swear up and down the George Foreman Grill was supposed to be named after him but he missed one phone call and the deal fell apart or whatever?

Honestly that one is actually somewhat believable by the standards of Hulk Hogan stories