Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Halloween Jack posted:

Onoo's lawsuit appears prima facie ridiculous because it was filed by a terrible performer who only had his job because of personal connections and spent his entire career gleefully portraying a racial stereotype. But of course WCW was endemically racist.

MassRafTer posted:

The WCW racial discrimination lawsuit is a funny case because the company definitely racially discriminated against its wrestlers (including the plaintiffs) but the ones who were discriminated the worst against (the Mexican talent) weren't included in the lawsuit.
Onoo was also far from the only plaintiff, he was just the most public-facing one. He and Cary Ichter also gave an interview to Wrestleline where they and the case came off horribly: http://the-w.com/bonus-this-day-in-ben-miller-interviews

But...

Like Jack alluded to, they had so much evidence that it didn't matter. Most of the plaintiffs in the main overlapping lawsuits had ties to the Power Plant, either as students or from tryouts. Well, except for Onoo and whoever Rick Reeves was. From WCW's motion for summary judgment on Reeves's case:

"Reeves's claims are baseless . Most of the alleged actions by WCW that Reeves contends support his claims of discrimination barred by the applicable statute of limitations . With WCW's alleged actions that are not time-barred, there is no evidence that WCW ever treated Reeves differently because of his race . In fact, Reeves never performed any services for or on behalf of WCW, and the record is devoid of any evidence that WCW even knew who Reeves was. Reeves's discrimination claims not only lack legal foundation and factual support, they are frivolous and abusive. Accordingly, summary judgment should be granted on all of Reeves's discrimination claims."

(Apparently he was a Thunderbolt Patterson trainee who repeatedly called the office looking for work and pretty much never heard anything substantive back.)

Smoking Crow posted:

It's crazy to think that LA Park was in the hottest feud in Mexico and setting attendance records in Monterrey, Juarez and Nuevo Laredo while he was doing nothing in WCW and no one noticed.
In fairness, this wasn't being covered in the English-speaking hardcore fan scene, either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

Dave definitely covered the Pierroth Jr apuestas match including that Parka had faked an injury to WCW management (or was working through a real one) to work dates and build up to the blow off.
The apuestas match, yes, but not the string of record business across northern Mexico, IIRC.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The Croc posted:

Declared bankruptcy the other year due to bad investments.
And it was a Chapter 13, the "soft landing" where there's an attempt to repay much of it.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Hedgehog Pie posted:

RTC was undeniably a Vince vanity project at heart, but most of the things I've heard about the PTC doesn't exactly make me sympathise with the non-Vince cause for once.

Though you should keep in mind that my knowledge of the PTC comes pretty much entirely from wrestling fans.
The PTC is Actually Bad, and were routinely making poo poo up (most egregiously that Lionel Tate murdered Tiffany Eunick with the Stone Cold Stunner) as part of their fundraising efforts. There's a reason WWE got $3.5 million and a lengthy public apology out of L. Brent Bozell III as part of a lawsuit settlement.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The American Dream posted:

I wonder how much money wwe is leaving on the table by not making an n64 style game.

Use the same control scheme with some polished graphics, fill it with the current roster and legends. People, myself included, haven’t shut the gently caress up about these games in the last 20 years.

Hell, sell the game with like a hundred wrestlers and a bunch of arenas and every quarter sell an update for $10 with some new wrestlers, arenas and costumes. They don’t even have to make a new game every year, just sell dlc like every other sports game should be.
The series that turned into Day of Reckoning on the GameCube had the same basic control scheme, but Yuke's abandoned that engine when THQ/WWE decided to do the same game on each platform and went with SmackDown

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Randaconda posted:

Edge's spear was so loving bad. His ring work was never better than average, but god, that spear was just loving terrible.
I'd love to know who on the booking team, while watching King of the Ring '99, was the one who decided to give Edge the spear as a finish. My gut is Russo, because whoever it was would have to be someone with a terrible understanding of the mechanics of wrestling to not realize that it was the Hardys taking great spear bumps and not Edge having a great spear. Shane Helms hits one just as great, if not better in the famous Hardys-Serial Thrillz match from OMEGA a few months earlier.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

After stumbling into a bunch of previously uncharted channel 17 wrestling history in May when I was writing about the Turner wrestling history WRT AEW on TNT, I'm much more convinced of Turner as a TV genius who valued wrestling more than other TV geniuses. To wit, a timeline:

June 1969: Turner and Rice Broadcasting, the owners of channel 17, announce a merger.
August 1969: Channel 17 starts airing outside of the Atlanta area on regional cable via microwave transition to cable companies in neighboring states.
August 1970: Channel 17, previous WJRJ, becomes WTCG, which stood both "Turner Communications Group" and "Watch This Channel Grow," with the latter used in marketing. (Within the TV business, it was "Watch Ted Chase Girls.")
September 1970: Pro wrestling premieres on WTCG...in the form of the WWWF's Capitol Wrestling from Philadelphia.
October 1971: "WRESTLING" (Vince Sr's) is touted as one of the main reasons to watch WTCG in newspaper ads touting their new transmitter.
December 1971: "Live Atlanta Wrestling"/"Georgia Championship Wrestling," the promoters of which Ted had been wooing for years, moves to WTCG, which drops the WWWF show.

THAT is impressive. And it's all years before Ted gets a satellite and puts WTCG on national cable.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

https://twitter.com/davidbix/status/1176266490280054787

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cross-posting this from the pod thread because it's VERY on-topic:

---

Several weeks back, someone linked me [to Buff Bagwell’s podcast with a timestamp to when he had Shane Douglas on and they talked about being sent by Bill Watts to what seemed like a fetish photoshoot where they kept putting a gun in each other's mouth.

Really.

---

It's at 44:20 of this episode: https://buffandboochcast.podbean.com/e/the-franchise-shane-douglas/

(Yes, his show is "The Buff & Booch Cast" and they have it set up to have a public download counter.)

Not surprisingly, given Buff's involvement and the story, there's some homophobia, but it still needs to be heard because they're clearly telling the truth and it's a loving *wild* story.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Tato posted:

6. Calling a camera man a "jiggly jiggly Jew" and WCW replaying it many times. What the gently caress?!?
7. That's The Wall, brother!!!
8. Switching to the "dark side" and saying that "after all, everyone knows what a man with black gloves and a black rag can do" right before or right after (I forget which) O.J. Simpson was acquitted.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Jonny Nox posted:

I think that was a side effect of the disease they shared. (Hypertension and diabetes was anyways)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acromegaly

Sounds like a lovely life anyways
Big Show had the surgery before he ever broke into wrestling, though.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

I keep trying to imagine Vampiro in a red beret and its not happening.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Whenever I see the Guardian Angels in NYC it's always a group of four or five overweight people in red berets on the subway and they usually don't even bother handing out the pamphlets they're holding.
Usually, if I see ever actually see a Guardian Angel in the wild, it's Curtis walking to or from the radio station if I'm in midtown.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

JFC, I totally forgot that he actually slid off. I remembered it as someone saving him last second.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Didn't Vamp get power bombed on the floor in that match, too?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Hirez posted:

did Benoit/Jericho ever train at the dungeon?

OFFICER LIGER posted:

When jericho got there keith hart was there the first day of class collected money and peaced out, so there wasnt much of a dungeon left to train at
Yes, but remember, they were not training contemporaries. Benoit broke in about five years earlier as part of the Stampede relaunch. There was very much still a Dungeon then and Benoit let Stu put him in incredibly painful holds because respect or whatever.

But Mike Hammer did much of Benoit's actual pro wrestling training. The thing that a lot of people don't realize is that Stu generally wasn't doing the pro wrestling training as much as some vet in the territory would do it. Aging luchador Frank Butcher of all people trained Bruce Hart, Rick Martel, and the other guys who broke in through Calgary circa 1973. Mr. Hito and Kazuo Sakurada trained Bret Hart. Mike Hammer trained Benoit. There are probably a lot more I'm forgetting, and putting together a list would probably be weirdly interesting.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

He was fired because the Undertaker caught him taking a nap at the arena.

FWIW Shane Douglas, when he's not in the throws of drug addiction is actually a pretty chill guy. I met one of his former students and they had nothing but high praise for him.

ECW's legacy is a bunch of addicts struggling to stay clean.
Yeah, as best I can tell, Douglas is generally a pretty decent dude. And while he's beat to hell, if you see him booked on a local indie show, you can trust that he will do everything in his power, via shtick or whatever other veteran tricks he has, to make a match out of it and not leave you disappointed.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Randaconda posted:

Bruno did it every week in the same loving building
*month

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Hirez posted:

like no one in the locker room knew how to cross someones legs and turn them around? what's there to be taught? He's making it seem like it's some kind of crazy technical move that only few can do
Think about how many times we've seen the hold applied wrong by people who weren't Bret, Owen, or Sting. Hell, in the Montreal match, Bret had to tell Shawn that he had the legs crossed wrong.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

It's hard to gauge the actual popularity of some WCW stars from the pre-Nitro era because it cannot be exaggerated how incompetent the live event promotion side of the company was before Zane Bresloff was lured away from the WWF. The stuff about Don Glass being staggeringly bad at his job (running San Antonio on Easter Sunday!) may be a Cornette narrative, but like a lot of Cornette historical stuff, it's also true. Business went up almost immediately after Bresloff started with the company, and the house show business boom started with the first program to have any real heat to it, Flair vs. Savage. The house shows were also terribly booked, having oddly tenuous connections to the programs on TV every week.

IIRC (at a more sane hour tomorrow I can consult Matwatch to confirm and gather additional details), Sting broke the record for most watched match in the history of cable at least twice, vs. Flair at Clash 1, the match that made him a star, and vs. The Black Scorpion at Clash 12 during his title reign. (The latter was preceded by a Luger-Flair U.S. Title co-main but still outdid it.) The big record-breaking weekend of TBS shows in February 1990, while headlined by Flair-Pillman and Flair/Arn-R&R, was the first weekend of fresh shows since the Horsemen turned on him at Clash 10 (the previous week was taped before the Clash, only had a couple canned promos, and didn't address his injury). And WCW always did solid PPV business until the larger U.S. wrestling recession happened.

My point being: Sting clearly had a big fanbase. But because WCW was so weirdly mismanaged in the areas that would historically be considered good gauges in wrestling (well, and in general), you can't really point to him being a traditional "draw" before 1997.

Also, something that really needs to be discussed more is that WCW would be a runaway financial success if transported into the 2020 TV landscape. Even if you tried to weight the TV ratings to be relative to what we're seeing now.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Bald non-Berlyn Alex Wright was good. Just different. Check out the match he had with Danny Faquir (a.k.a. Dan Devine and Dan Factor) on one of the last episodes of Worldwide, for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9Ms8ewRcs0

Has the Vivacious Veronica backstory ever actually been...like, authoritatively reported anywhere? I know the shoot interview lore or whatever is that she was the mistress of a TBS exec, but...she was in Portland two years earlier as one of Scotty The Body's valets. And ECW a year later. And the USWA 2 years later as "Robin." So that doesn't track. But it also makes no sense that she'd be brought in ahead of Jeannie Clark/Lady Blossom.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

The actual best American Males thing is the video that Riggs and Bagwell had made themselves to pitch the gimmick (to Jimmy Hart, IIRC), which is set to, of all things, A-Ha's "Lie Down In Darkness" from their 1993 album: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wrh5j7v6DuQ

It's actually incredibly well-made, to the point that there's a mirror of it on another account mistakenly framing it as an official video for the song. The actual Males intro video that aired on TV is *also* really well-produced, but it's got an awful instrumental version of the terrible actual American Males theme song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKzK-mGFUyI

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Punch McLightning posted:

This is the best version of the American Males theme. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YiXZtgIhrq4
That might be the drunkest I've ever heard good brother Dave Prazak on commentary.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

any slander against the WCW comic book is coming from a place of ignorance.
What about making GBS threads on them for not properly resolving The Black Stinger Saga?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

coconono posted:

acceptable!
Good. I really want to know the secret identity of The Ghoul.

(Rick Rude, probably.)

EDIT: Wait, they DID resolve it?

https://twitter.com/WCWWorldwide/status/1157067019772137472

I always thought it was cliffhanger -> Starlight Foundation issue -> final issue that had nothing to do with The Black Stinger Saga.

davidbix fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 14, 2020

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

SCOTT LEVY RUNS AS A CHARACTER, RANKED:

1. Scott Anthony
2. Scotty The Body
3. Johnny Polo
4. ECW Raven
5. WCW Raven
6. Scotty Flamingo
7. WWF Raven (when he'd just be himself)
8. WWF Raven (when he'd be gloomy Raven)

WCW Raven is the best in-ring run of his career and I'm not sure it's even close.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

There was a brief period in TNA where he was having great matches with guys like Chris Harris.
That would require me remembering TNA things.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

WCW was very much in the wrong. There were so many examples of systematic racism in the company. Bischoff declaring black fans don't buy tickets, using the n word, declaring an event was a "white night" with no black wrestlers on it. Terry Taylor using the n word constantly and being just incredibly racist. Russo using the n word repeatedly. Black wrestlers and agents being passed over in favor of whites with the same or less experience. Plus all white management and a lack of discrimination standards meant that you would be shocked by the kind of things that went on.

And then there is the anti Mexican and anti Japanese racism. The irony of the lawsuit was that Sonny Onoo was basically only hired because he was friends with Bischoff and had absolutely no talent.
The case was so strong that at least one wrestler (Rick Reeves) who had basically no contact with WCW got the same massive settlement as everyone else.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

syzpid posted:

I doubt it? The lawsuit says Rick Reeves started wrestling in 92.
I don't remember this...do you remember which doc this was in so I could pull it up?

I was under the impression that he WAS "Hard Rock" Ricky Reeves.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

CarlCX posted:

this conversation led me down a weird rabbit hole

I felt like that couldn't be true because I knew the song was like multiple Kraftwerk samples repeated over each other, and researching it turned up not only that it also samples its motorboat tongue-waggling sound from a song named "Sweet Pussy Pauline" that's basically a dance-house monologue about oral sex, the song as a whole is from a weird French production music album called Rap Noise that's all themed around hip hop-reminiscent ambient music and features titles like "Blue Carpet" and "Corned Beef"
It's actually shockingly sample-heavy: https://www.whosampled.com/Rene-De-Wael/Rap-Sheet-(Booker-T-Theme)/

Not only does it have the breathing sounds from Kraftwerk's "Sex Object" and the tongue-waggling from Hateful Head Helen's "Sweet Pussy Pauline," but it also lifts a weird electronic bell-ish sound from Kraftwerk's Musique Non Stop and drum loops from the DNA remix of Suzanne Vega's "Tom's Diner." Pretty much everything notable in the recording other than the hook is a sample of a commercially-released song.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Vagabundo posted:

I sweah too goawwwd.
"I'M DA ONLY WRITAH IN THE HISTORY OF WRESTLE-ING WITH THE SPAULDINGS TO TRY TO GET MISS ELIZABETH NAKED!"

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Willninho posted:

It should be pointed out Vince Russo is born in 1961. The Liz obsession wasn’t even a teen thing like I always assumed without doing the math.
Y'know...I...never really thought about that for some reason, even though I knew when he went to college. So he was TWENTY-FOUR when Liz debuted on WWF television. Good lord.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

TheKingslayer posted:

Since the topic is Russo, was Ed Ferrara ever worth a drat at writing or whatever or did he just luck into grabbing Russo's coat tails? Because as bad as Russo is Ferrara seemed even worse somehow.
Ferrara was hired off of a minor but legitimate TV writing career. He and Russo just lined up well. Today, he teaches a "writing for entertainment" class at Full Sail. And he mostly seems to have matured and mellowed out.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

Hogan was accused of sexual assault and settled a resulting lawsuit. He also bought booze for his underage son and let him drive afterwards which resulted in Nick's friend in a vegetative state. Hogan blamed the friend's karma for that. Those alone make him a below average person, let alone the racial slurs, the politics, the snitching on a potential union and everything else.
He settled even though he initiated the legal action by bringing an embezzlement lawsuit against his accuser and her lawyer. I believe that she and her lawyer countersued, as well, but still, that's a heck of a way to make oneself look not innocent.

Also:

* The context of the n-word recording is honestly much worse than it even seems on the surface; knowing that and also hearing the available audio makes that more clear. On the audio, the famous "I mean, I am racist, to a point. loving [n-words]. But then when it comes to nice people and poo poo, and whatever..." bit takes on a different significance. Based on the way his tone shifts, Hogan was using "loving [n-words]" as an example of something racist he'll say casually. He wasn't exclaiming "loving [n-words]!" in the moment, he was talking about how he says that poo poo ALL THE TIME. And all that's intertwined with discussions his fleecing of Cecile Barker for 8 figures in funding and, basically, calling Barker (and his son) "[n-word]s." Then, on his apology tour, ABC News let him get away with claiming that the n word was a term of endearment in his neighborhood growing up (...in '50s-'60s Tampa?) even though everyone knew that the issue was more than him just using the word.

* He disowned Big Show for years for (rightfully) quitting their stupid plan to make him a heavyweight boxer funded by Barker.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

sk posted:

MIKE HARD
For years I thought this was a rib because he looked like Mike Soft when he and Stacy Carter got revenge porned, but someone who was in OVW at the time recently insisted to me that it wasn't.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

I think that, besides Paul wanting to maintain a relationship with Vince, there was also the fact that the fanbase knew WCW could be better and didn't exactly have high expectations for the WWF.

Also: While the ECW fans' feelings about WCW were surely part of it, those Cactus Jack promos reflected his actual mindset at the time. He figured that he was never getting a WWF job and was scared shitless that he had burned his bridge in WCW with the belt-spitting incident. So he thought that his best bet was probably begging Kevin Sullivan to vouch for him personally as new booker and give him a spot in the Dungeon of Doom, even if that was the most anti-Cactus Jack thing possible.

I say it on Between The Sheets whenever the topic comes up, but NOBODY has ever laid their soul and insecurities as bare on wrestling promos as Mick did in his ECW heel run. From the very first promo airing on the episode of TV where he turned, he was letting out his frustrations/fears with regards to the damage he'd done to himself physically and his issues with the ECW fans, with the stuff about being worried that he had sabotaged his own career coming soon after.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Hirez posted:

Das Wunderdad

Has anyone notable come out of his school? I'm trying to think of if I know of any non-WXW German wrestlers that are on the international radar.

MassRafTer posted:

Actually shocking that Joey hasn't wrestled him on Spring Break or Lost in yet.
I *might* have suggested this at some point?

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Let's remember that a somewhat unknown Chris Jericho got a 300K/yr deal despite only being a known quantity in Japan.
Incorrect. In Jericho's two full calendar years in WCW, 1997 and 1998, he made, respectively, just under $165k and just under $235k in payroll compensation.

Citation: https://sites.google.com/site/chrisharrington/wcw_contracts#TOC-Chris-Jericho

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

This reminds me: Did Kathie Lee Gifford REALLY blame Rude for her miscarriage or was that just a weird misunderstanding of something she DID say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

rujasu posted:

Agreed. If you want a gross fake affliction story, I'm reminded of Jim Duggan faking cancer. Why didn't they just say he was hurt?
...what?!? He *did* have cancer.