Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Frog jumped all over the stage that day

But he hated the finish. I'm told backstage he was hopping mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

And then one day he'd come to the ring and tear off the Frog gear, saying it was forced upon him and his real name is Orville Pigdicker.

"I AM NOT AN AMPHIBIAN."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

stab posted:

Rick steiner and it was awful

Rick was not the guy you want responding to a pre-recorded promo.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Serious answer is Memphis institution Bill Dundee's kid.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why would that piss him off?

You'd think you'd want to ask him about RoboCop 3 which he wasn't even in. Nancy Allen was only in it if they'd kill her character off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DeathChicken posted:

There was that funny story about it taking so long to get Peter Weller into the Robocop suit for the first movie that the sun set on them and they told him it was time to go home

Also the suit was so constrictive it made his months of mime training useless.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

I don't know what those are

Cornette had the brilliant idea to play on the racism of the south to build his top heel tag team. It did not work.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/pwoloss/status/1771698107270525054

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

As long as they include WCW Saturday Night favorite Tex Slazenger it's fine.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Parker is basically Foghorn Leghorn/Col. Tom (the guy who managed Elvis) as a wrestling character.

The original idea for Harlem Heat, a pair of real life black brothers, was for them to either be chain gang guys being lead to the ring by Parker who I guess would be their warden/gang boss, or straight up plantation guys with Parker as their owner. Making it worse, half the team actually did time for armed robbery and probably didn't want to be reminded of that time of his life.

Supposedly it was Sid's idea as part of his deal, as he demanded booking input and got it? I'm not sure about that part, but I've seen it claimed a couple times.

Booker T's said that their chains were to imply that they've broken them - despite the chains not being broken because WCW wasn't going to waste good chain - and Booker is also one of the last people whose recollections you should trust.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

The 3 things I know about Big Van Vader
1. He is a big guy.
2. Paul Orendorf knocked him out.
3. He smells

All of these things are true. Eventually you, too, will be able to realize that Vader put on his tights inside out (because he thought that would help with the smell. It did not).

He's one of Sting's greatest opponents but in a way that's not even special because Sting is a rare case of having had several greatest opponents.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

By all accounts Stan is a kind, somewhat soft-spoken family man. According to some stories he was the one who kept Bad News Allen from killing Andre when Andre kept making jokes with racial epithets on a bus in Japan.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Dr. Zoggle posted:

his book is a decent read, you can tell he's not very comfortable breaking kayfabe so a lot of the little details missing - it does paint him as a nice guy who just went back to his hotel after matches and read books while the rest of the crew went out and drank

In his first book Mick says Stan was the only reason he left his hotel room because otherwise that's what Mick would have done.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

just ate bad taco bell looking rear end face

It's fine. He'll feel like he has the flu for an hour and then it's back to normal.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

C. Everett Koop posted:

I remember being intrigued by the grill, and less intrigued when it came out that said grill would burn your kitchen down.

It's apparently pretty good. Brian Zane reviewed it on his channel.

Aside from naked wiring eventually melting or whatever, of course.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Oh so NOW the Hulkster didn't sense the aura of death of a poor young man at Wembley?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

i believe they approached multiple celebrities to be the spokesperson for the grill so there may perhaps be a grain of truth to the hulksters stories but what likely happened is he said that doesn't work for me, brother and hung up the phone

I like his story he was in a long , luxurious bath and didn't get to the phone in time.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Seams posted:

I watched a short doco about Dennis Rodman on YouTube last night and it had the hulkster claiming that Phil Jackson was personally calling him over and over trying to find out where Dennis was when he went to wrestle during the NBA finals.

Hogan likes to cast himself as a solver of problems with other celebrities. He personally maintained peace on the A-team set between Mr. T and George Peppard, DUDE.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

That Make-A-Wish kid actually died in 1973. Hulk liberated his soul from The Undertaker when he defeated him in Pride. From time to time the boy's spirit appears to The Hulkster when he needs it most.

It was why he couldn't join Metallica. :ohdear:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Actually yes that was it. He claimed he accidentally killed (or almost killed) Inoki during a 1983 match, Inoki was revived by CPR, and afterwards Hogan had to flee the Yakuza

Love a good 'it was the yakuza' story. If the yakuza was as active as so many people claim it was, they wouldn't have to resort to stealing fruit these days.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

"funky beach-patrol songs"

The inspiration for Thunder in Paradise no doubt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

TheHoosier posted:

Hulkster was scouted by and was begged to play for the Cincinnati Reds, dude. He didn't have time between Metallica band practice and PRIDE prize fighting, jack

I like that Hogan probably tells it like he was going to be the bassist instead of Cliff in Metallica but the timeframe means he would have been Ron McGovney.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

In further 'Hulk Hogan as a vortex of death' stories, he claims he was on a plane with Kerry Von Erich a week before Kerry died.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Drakkel posted:

But did he smell death?

Given how Kerry passed, I'm glad Hogan didn't try that.

The story doesn't work for a lot of reasons, of course, mostly that it was supposedly on a plane ride to Japan and Kerry was probably not allowed to leave the country right before he died because he'd broken probation on drug charges (and was looking at a lot of jail time, which no doubt added to his depression). Also Hogan didn't wrestle in Japan until much later that year which I believe is where we got that interview of him just absolutely burying the WWF belt.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Norman the Lunatic left for a month or 2 at the height of his pop. Now he is back as Norman the Trucker and lmao at the quiet arena. Kids still love him, but the adults have cooled.

Another case of "We want you to get over!" "I did!" "Not like that."

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

shiksa posted:

yeah, Barry Windham blew my loving mind when I went back to watch old wcw, at his peak he really truly was one of the greats. problem is he kept on way way longer after that

There's argument that at his peak Barry was maybe the best wrestler in the world.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

https://twitter.com/VerbAbrams/status/1785458298642411984

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Germansimp posted:

Only 650 pounds? What a surprise to see Hogan actually lower the claimed weight of Andre.

Well he's with God now so he only speaks the truth, dude.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

That was really good. Wonder why he never really did promos that well before or since.

I know in his first book Jericho always talks about how for whatever reason you never got to see Dean do what he really could on the mic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

For a certain stretch of '91/'92 you are spoiled for choice when it comes to good matches and the Dangerous Alliance is an all time heel stable, at least in part because it ends when it should.