Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

They were going to re-debut Hall that way, but they changed their minds. That whole angle was retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DannoMack posted:

The reboot show wasn't that bad and the whole thing could have worked, so there. :colbert:
I don't really think anybody argues that Russo can set up the chess pieces. He's just never been able to make with the follow-through.

If there was a job where all you had to do was write Chapter One and let somebody else worry about completing the thing, Russo would be the best.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

And just recently, WWE had Vince McMahon "fatally injured" by a falling set literally less than twenty-four hours after a TNA crew member died this way.

Writers aren't always caught up on current events and don't always think about how one connects to the other.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SiKboy posted:

I always thought it was because colombine happened, and suddenly "Gothy outsider in a black trenchcoat" was seen as being in poor taste, but I'm probably totally wrong about that. I just checked and its the right year, but wikipedia specifically says the child predator thing. Dunno why I had in my head that it was columbine related.
You might be thinking of Berlyn. They delayed his debut by six months or so after that.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

coconono posted:

holy crap that's amazing. They spend all this time and effort putting together that entrance only to be used as a plot device.
It wasn't their fault. AOL made them scrap the character. Rather than just drop it completely and have Dustin Rhodes just randomly show up one day, they actually gave it some closure.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm so bummed that didn't happen.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CVagts posted:

That is a genius point that I have never thought of until I read it just now.

And assuming the cameramen from RAW couldn't follow them, I'd DEFINITELY turn to Nitro to see what was going on. At the worst I'd have been flipping back and forth like a madman.
It'd leave WCW in a lot of legal trouble, most likely. I don't think there's any legal precedent set for this kind of bizarre situation, but I doubt Vince would take it lying down and it would have made for a lengthy court case.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Lone Rogue posted:

A lengthy court case for allowing WWF talent into a WCW building?
No.

quote:

The truth is, what Triple H neglects, is the true legal trouble is what DX, who are WWF contracted talent, would say/do while on TNT television. There is nothing stopping them from sucker punching WCW talents, injuring staff or more importantly, saying vulgarities to the moon. What, was WCW going to put a camera on them but mute them?
Yes. This.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 27, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Wait. A GLAAD rep gave Lenny and Lodi a gravy boat, or Billy and Chuck?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

DJ Ran had nothing to do with the No Limit Soldiers. He was just a DJ that hyped the crowd during commercials and segued into the Nitro Girls.

Before this, though, they kept putting him on goddamn TV where his DJ booth would be covered with SURGE bottles for product placement and he'd just scream "Aight, y'all! Make some NOIIIIIISE!" over and over again. He was loving terrible. Word is, though, after they took him off television and he just played music and poo poo during the ads, he was a pretty good addition to the live show.

And the Nitro Girls ruled. gently caress the haters.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Vampiro sucks. And yes, it was.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Suben posted:

I really have no clue why but at the time Vampiro was one of my favorite guys. I think it was mainly a combination of the corpse paint, using the Michinoku Driver and his awesome theme.
He was one of my faves at the time, too. Sadly, I would go on to learn what a loving douchebag the guy is. He earned himself something of a primadonna reputation, then I read Jericho's book and pretty much lost the last shred of respect I had for the dude.

It's sad. I still have my CAW of Vampiro on my copy of Wrestlemania 2000.

X-Sgt. Zypygski posted:

*Regarding Demon:*
You would have thought they'd try to get some mileage out of him, but if I remember right, at the time they were pretty much only using him because KISS's contract forced them to.
They would have, but it was Bischoff's deal and he was fired less than a month after the Kiss concert on Nitro where Demon debuted.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I've made Target jokes too, and I still find them funny, but it's kind of a shame that we laugh at people who move on with their lives after wrestling.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

gently caress YOU, FLAIR! I COULD'VE BEEN BIGGER THAN THE ROCK!

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

That's hilarious.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MyStereoHasMono posted:

WCW booked by Kevin Sullivan was loving horrible.
The only time I ever stopped watching WCW was during Sullivan's reign. I sat through so much loving horrible bullshit, then one day I saw The Dog (Al Greene on a leash, literally acting like he thought he was a dog) taken seriously in a match. I stopped watching until about a month before Russo came back. Sullivan's loving terrible.

The reign you're thinking of, however, belongs to Nash. 1999 from February to September.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It was so disappointing considering Russo had been out for a couple of months with a concussion or something, and left the booking to more level-headed people who gave Lance Storm the greatest push of his life. Russo came back and buried him in one match in his home country.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It mentions it, but it leaves out shitloads of details.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Super Ninja Fish posted:

The reason there was a US title tournament for Storm to win is because of Russo coming back and stripping all the titles. Russo most likely gave Storm that push. What Russo giveth, Russo can taketh away.
Johnny Ace, Ed Ferrara and Terry Taylor took over for Russo for a bit after Bischoff left and Russo had injured himself. Yes, this was after the reboot, but it was before Russo returned.

LividLiquid fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 9, 2010

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I'm pretty sure it's widely regarded as the very worst high-profile PPV of all time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

If you think anything on those PPVs holds a candle to the worst of New Blood Rising, you're drunk.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Me too. It was the last WCW PPV I ever paid for. I was loving FURIOUS.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MassRayPer posted:

I think King of the Ring 99 and Fall Brawl 98 come very close or maybe fall below NBR's depths. NBR at least ends with a decent match and begins with a spot fest even if it was stupidly overbooked. I'm not sure if those shows insult the fan's intelligence the way NBR does though. But Fall Brawl does pretty much kill WCW's best gimmick match dead which is saying something.

Honestly, I think Fall Brawl 98 would be perfect for the March Sunday Nitro.
Fall Brawl 98 was an awesome show. No. I'm not being sarcastic or trolling.

Reven Vs. Saturn is one of the best matches I've ever seen and the rest of the show sand Wargames match, which was good for marks, was just fine.

Wazzu posted:

Apparenly on a forklift, actually. But some things don't sound.....too bad. Plus bad show reviews are normally quite amusing.
We, as a forum, have never needed Jerusalem more.

Dude. This is asking a lot, but if you've got one more "It's really very simple..." in you, I would love to hear it for New Blood Rising.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I love you, Jerusalem.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

CVagts posted:

Didn't they also do WCW Raw in Seattle, when they could have saved it for like a week and had it be in Atlanta (aka Turnerland)?
It was in Tacoma, I think. I was there, I know that much. Cheering my rear end off for guys like Kanyon and Kidman while everybody in my area stared at me, confused and annoyed. It was kind of a sneak preview of what Wrestlehut would be like.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

The thing is, I know I was there for the show with Booker and Bagwell, but I also remember seeing Kidman win the Cruiserweight title from Helms. Which I think was on a Smackdown.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sting wants the Shawn Michaels deal up-front. No house shows, tons of money, five dates a month. It likely won't happen until Vince is really hard up for a Hall of Fame inductee and Sting doesn't work for TNA anymore.

So maybe about two weeks.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

He most certainly is. He's booked terribly, but he's basically the same he's ever been in that when he's given a good opponent, he can have a hell of a match. If he's given a lovely opponent, it gets a little boring.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jim Cornette booked all these super old guys from the NWA against current WWF stars. He had Undertaker Vs. Terry Funk at Wrestlemania for gently caress's sake.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Jim Cornette knows how to book heat and he knows how to push a guy to get them over. It's sad that these are rare qualities these days.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Heyman and Cornette both have their strong points and both have their weak points. The only real difference is that Heyman lies to everybody pretty much all the time.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Sotar posted:

It's too bad Cornette didn't have more of a role in TNA. He could have done some really good things.
His role in TNA pre-Russo produced some really good stuff.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Arli$$ being in-character was so loving bad that I'm amazed WWE continues to do poo poo like this.

Did none of you loving learn from Robocop or Chucky?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Dylar Addict posted:

When was the last time a fictional character was on WWE?
Jeremy Piven didn't use his character's name and neither did that Napoleon Dynamite kid, but we were expected to believe that the actors are exactly like their characters, which I suppose is a bit different, but it still bothers the poo poo out of me.

MassRayPer posted:

Chucky was so amazing. I remember people actually being interested in Rick Steiner during the build. "What the hell is going on? Who is doing that?" Everyone assumed it was someone from his past, or well... something kind of cool! I think Bob Ryder even assured everyone in Prodigy Wrestlechat that it was going somewhere great...
Totally thought it was Doink. Evil, original, Jack-Nicholson Joker Doink. Not stupid clown Doink.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

Sting, Hulk Hogan, The Ultimate Warrior, The Undertaker, Kane, Hornswoggle, and Goldust are not fictional characters.
That's not the point and you know it. We're talking about people showing up in wrestling as their characters from other projects.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

SiKboy posted:

I think we are missing the most important point: Technically this means that Robocop is in continuity with Childs Play.
You just blew my mind.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I got poo poo on for suggesting this earlier, but I still think if you show up as your fictional character only TOTALLY NOT BECAUSE I'M USING MY OWN NAME, it's really just as bad as Robocop.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Renegade robot cops?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVDzuT0fXro

I was actually referencing this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

David Lunch loving sucks.