Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Come on now, Tony likes Dusty and Brain just fine. He can even laugh with them when they're mocking him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMvF_6c5wiY

Also, this was a fine commentary team on Thunder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX0RD6eLRgM

Tenay, Stagger Lee and Brain.

A triple "ooooooohhh". Also, it's always fun to tell people that the voice of Tony the Tiger used to be a wrestling announcer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

I had totally forgotten about this until you mentioned it. That segment owned hard.
Seriously, Norman Smiley was all kinds of awesome when he'd do poo poo like come out and defend his hardcore title dressed in football pads (complete with helmet).
Surprised no-one has mentioned the BOOGIE KNIGHTS team of Disco Inferno, Alex Wright and the DISCO DUCK! Also when Disco was part of the Filthy Animals stable and changed his name to the Hip-Hop Inferno. I will always have a special place in my heart for Glenn Gilberti. Seriously, poo poo like when the "Last Dance" was a standing figure-four and he would always forget how to do the manouver and Disco would pull out a piece of paper with instructions on how to perform the move. Disco Inferno owned hard!

Best bit was when they were The Dancing Fools and Tokyo Magnum kept trying to join them and would be out there dancing behind them without Disco and Alex noticing him. Then Public Enemy killed him in a tag team match at Road Wild.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LividLiquid posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Women's Cruiserweight title pretty much made to help along the relationship between WCW and New Japan? As in it was never meant to be defended here?

Pretty much, except it was GAEA Japan, the womens cruiserweight title was defended in Japan a few times but WCW and GAEA stopped workin together near the end 97 so the two womens belts basically existed for maybe 8 months and then were never used again.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

LividLiquid posted:

He was one of my faves at the time, too. Sadly, I would go on to learn what a loving douchebag the guy is. He earned himself something of a primadonna reputation, then I read Jericho's book and pretty much lost the last shred of respect I had for the dude.

Well, he was incredibly (maybe still is?) popular in Mexico so he probably figured he could act like he was a bigshot in WCW.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I still think GAB91 was worse than New Blood Rising.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

No need to when he was in the Dark Carnival with Vampiro & ICP. That's right, WCW brought back Japanese wrestling legend (and I think unofficial one time world champion) The Great Muta and put him in a stable with the Insane Clown Posse.

Maybe he was just down with the clown.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TL posted:

I believe Belzer showed up as Munch once on the Wire, so I'm pretty sure it fits in there.

He didn't really show up as Munch. He was just sitting in a bar, telling the bartender that he used to own a bar himself.

The Wire and Homicide:LOTS can't really be in the same continuity.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

TL posted:

Munch used to own a bar on Homicide. I'm certain it's supposed to be him.

Problem with that is the absolutely huge crossover of actors playing different roles on the shows. They just aren't in the same continuity.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Also guys, I decided to rebuild my wcw collection so I have all the Thunders from 98 and about the first half of 99 and all of 2000. Plus Nitros from 95, Jan-July 99 and July 99-March 2000, June 2000. And of course Nitros and Thunders from 2001. Plus I think more or less all the PPVs from 98 to 2001 and pretty much all the Clash of Champions as well, so if there's something you'd want to see I could probably put it up on dailymotion.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Mar 7, 2010

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
DDP is literally the best wrestler in the history of wrestling, how can you not like him?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
DDP also had the best taped ribs in the business.

Maybe I should look through my newly recreated wcw library and see if I can find some DDP matches to put in this here thread.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xcpbwu_raven-vs-benoit-vs-ddp-wcw-uncensor_sport

The three way match with DDP, Raven and Benoit was probably one of the best post-Hogan WCW matches. DDP really was incredibly good at being the guy that never gives up.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was the Flair/Sting vs Funk/Muta THUNDERDOME match from Halloween Havoc 89.

Great match, featuring Muta as a fire extinguisher.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
In the sense that he works backstage for WWE, yes.

He was pretty much also the only good Armstrong, although Steve could have a good match now and then.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVWq9BXLnSw

Someone mentioned wanting to see this earlier.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I have a little treat for you (if you like Norman Smiley)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw1CW01CNRg

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Awesome, thanks for posting this. Hearing the announcer say "The Hardcore Wiggler" and "He went to the wiggle too early!" was worth watching it alone. Heenan was pretty weak on commentary during this match, which is rare. Also - Smiley was on a Superbrawl ppv.. against 3 count?

Yeah, SuperBrawl 2000. He was in a handicap against them, but I can't remember why.

MassRayPer posted:

This is weird.

WCW Worldwide was taped at Universal Studios. WCW Saturday Night was done at the Center Stage Theater, also in front of a papered crowd. The graphic says Saturday Night (although the description says Worldwide, not that it matters.)

But that looks WAY more like the Impact Zone than Center Stage. Maybe WCW changed how they did seating for Saturday Night to look more like a studio when they changed the logos in 99, but that's just odd.

Actually that was just me being dumb and calling it Worldwide instead of Saturday Night for some reason.

MrBling fucked around with this message at 06:30 on May 3, 2010

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
More or less every thread tangentially related to WCW turns into observer quote-a-thons eventually.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
At least WCW was fun while also being completely nuts, rather than just not making any sense.

I mean, Scott Steiner put all of 3 Count into a single Steiner Recliner at one point as well.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I like how there are like ten different variations on the Regal-Goldberg match depending on how good peoples memories are.

They wrestled a normal wrestling match and Goldberg looked a bit out of it because up until that point all his matches had been "hit a couple of power moves, spear, jackhammer, win".

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I probably need a better hobby...

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Dario Delfino posted:

Wiki confirms that. I was going off memory.

I've been GISing for a few minutes now, and I can't find any pics of Sgt. Buddy Lee Parker as the Leprechaun. Don't even remember what he looks like. Anyone have a pic or screencap handy? I wanted a visual comparison to Hornswoggle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1-kbwuOJS0

There isnt really a lot of footage of him, but I found some in the archives.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It wasnt so much "working boots" as "being carried boots" Luger had on during that match.

It was maybe 90% Bret Hart offense with Luger just running back and forth a few times clotheslining Hart.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If you're watching the main events in WCW you're doing it wrong.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The early 90s shows they did with NJPW was better than Kollision in Korea. Except for the whole Flair/Fujinami title mess the first one started.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
It was held over two days so I'm pretty sure they just locked everybody in the stadium overnight and then herded in some more on day 2.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Uncensored 96 was generally speaking a very bad ppv.

It has the Finlay-Regal match where they just beat the poo poo out of each other, but other than that its all poo poo.

Pretty much the only thing of note it did was set up the angle of DDP leaving WCW and living in the street until he returned at Slamboree.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Sid had Charles Robinson as his personal cheerleader and scorekeeper, and I can't remember why.

He would hold up signs showing the appropriate number of wins though.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I guess they felt that Duggan needed a little push after beating kidney cancer.

I'm fairly sure I have all the various TV episodes he defended his title on if you want a video retrospective.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Well, I was bored so you're getting the historic start of Duggan's championship reign on the wonderful show known as WCW Saturday Night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqiQFhWaPCo

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I've never really thought much about this, but watching some of the 1998 stuff has a lot of "executive board" guys talking to Mean Gene and it got me wondering.

Was the "executive vice president" Nick Lambrose actually part of management or was he just a random guy in a suit to try and hide that Bischoff was in fact running stuff.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
The Uncensored events in general were just really bad.

1996 has Regal-Finlay as the only good match.

I can't even remember anything from 97. It has a Malenko-Eddie match, I guess that might be good.

1998 is just horrible and might even challenge 1995 in terms of horribleness.

1999 had a first blood cage match between Flair and Hogan which didn't end when Flair got busted open. Instead Flair won by pinning Hogan later.

I guess 2000 has Knobbs taking on all of 3-Count (who are co-Hardcore champions) and beating them.

But yes, Uncensored was really just not good in any year.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Early 90s was a bad time to be randomly assigned gimmicks, not just in WCW.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXkZCtZ-6IU

He did it a few times, unless I'm forgetting something.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Russo didn't work for WCW until 1999.

I know it's the easy thing to just blame everything on Russo but at least do some basic fact checking.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Basically the good thing about Battlebowl was DDP winning it in 1996 at Slamboree, but that mostly because his whole storyline of leaving WCW, being homeless and then coming back was kinda neat.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
AJ Styles was really sloppy in WCW compared to his later work in TNA but I guess he was pretty young at the time too.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
There are releases of PPV feeds of various old WCW ppvs floating around, so I would assume that WWE has full copies in their library.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Pretty much the only thing that went exactly right was getting DDP over as the main face challenging the nWo. Especially the fact that Savage put him over clean in their feud which is quite extraordinary in itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Captain Charisma posted:

Is it? Savage wasn't exactly a selfish guy like Hogan and Nash were.

Domestic abuser, sure, but he put guys over!

At that point in time, Savage never put people over clean.