Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lone Rogue posted:

Even then I'd consider breaking up Part III into two parts.

A first DVD showcasing their victories over WWF followed by a second DVD showing how it all fell apart would be really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Perry Normal posted:

Again, not sure if it would work out in practice at all though.

The trouble would be focus, really. You can't have two simultaneous matches that are, by necessity, differently paced, and a fast paced desperate title match might sound okay in theory but I really doubt it would work in practice.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I agree, it was just a big loving mess till things got right down to the nitty-gritty.

The major problem I had with TNA's Wargames was that it just assumed that every single person watching was intimately familiar with how Wargames worked, I remember the first one I watched they didn't actually mention there were no way to win the match until both teams had fully entered the cage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I dunno, maybe the clusterfuck aspect of them is why I really enjoyed them in a way. With The Royal Rumble you have everything so planned that it feels like you know who is going to eliminate who at alot of points and because it's booked so tightly most times it comes off feeling a little too planned - if that makes any sense. I guess one of the reasons I really like battle royals with a ton of wrestlers everywhere is not knowing what the hell will happen and guys getting eliminated left and right and in weird ways. I like both methods, really.

Which would be fine if it wasn't for realizing 5 minutes after the fact,"Oh hey, <Wrestler X> got eliminated at some point I guess, we just didn't see it and nobody ever mentioned it."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dixie: I want 9 rings
Assistant: The Impact Zone can only fit 3.
Dixie: Then make the rings SMALLER.... geez, do I have to think of everything?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Gavok posted:

Now, the idea of a competently done feud between Goldberg and Warrior could be pretty good if done right. But a Goldberg vs. Warrior feud as written by Vince Russo? Holy poo poo. That would have been must-see TV right there. Somebody get me one of those Sliders alternate reality device thingies. I need to see a world where this happened.

I took a trip on one of those once and found myself on one of those late-season Sliders rape-planets. I asked the people if they wanted to leave and they said no, because they'd come there from a world where Russo booked Goldberg vs Warrior and they couldn't bear the thought of going back.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

tzirean posted:

For the record, that Heenan picture is from '08 or '09. Sure, it's not pretty, but let's not write his epitaph yet, either; it didn't beat him then, and now the cancer's in remission if I'm remembering correctly and the jaw infection is gone, too. He's still alive and kicking.

I would be happy to learn that he'd decided to hold on and outlive Hulk Hogan just so he could dance on his grave.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jeffersonlives posted:

Except they booked every single one of them into the ground once they rose to the top.

WCW: Strange, the only thing that changed between you being a very over midcarder and being a joke in the main event is us taking an interest in booking you. I think it's pretty clear what the problem here is.... you're just not a main event wrestler! Thanks for wasting our time, rear end in a top hat!
*pays wrestler six figure salary*

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I think so long as WWE can offer a bare minimum of four hours a week of relatively inexpensive (for the channel) first-run content every single week of the year, and get ratings that are at or above average ratings for it, then they're not likely to be in danger of losing their contract.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Yes, and we all know buyrates are exclusively dependent on just one factor and have nothing to do with things like bad storylines, the rise of MMA or failure to build new stars.

And let's not forget WWE's propensity to rewrite history. If Cena/Del Rio were to feud in say, a year's time, they easily could and probably would sell it as a first time match-up and pretend that RAW never happened. It's not like the majority of the audience would remember. After all, this is the first Undertaker/Triple H match at Wrestlemania!

I would quite like to see Cena vs Big Show myself, as I don't think that Cena could AA the Big Show... and if he could, well he certainly couldn't put him in the STF, so they could make the rematch a submission match. Money to be made there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rarity posted:

Cena FU'd the Big Show at Wrestlemania XX! :eng101:

It was before he got the STF though so there's something new I guess.

Oh okay I didn't know that. Tell you what I'd like to see though, Cena vs Big Show! See, I don't think that Cena could AA the Big Show... and if he could, well he certainly couldn't put him in the STF, so they could make the rematch a submission match. Money to be made there.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Astro7x posted:

It's sad watching Nitro on 24/7 and not being able to recall Goldberg's original entrance music...

DUNNAH DOO DOO!

DUNNAH DOO DOO!

DUNNAH DOO! DUNNAH DOO!

DUNNAH DOO DOO DOO DOO, DO DOO DOO DO DOOO!

(GOOOOOLDBERG!) DA DA (GOOOOOOLDBERG!)

DA DA DAH! DA DA DAH!

DA DA DAH DA DA DA! DA DA, DA, DA DAAAAAAH!

(GOLDBERG!) (GOLDBERG!) (GOLDBERG!) (GOLDBERG!) (GOLDBERG!) (GOLDBERG!)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pneub posted:

I always forget that Raven was 7ft, and that Hogan and Goldberg were 7ft4

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The worst was when Goldberg walked out in the middle of a match, the commentators explained that this wasn't in their script and that now the two wrestlers left in the ring (Nash and Steiner I think) would have to improvise a finish on the fly to the scripted fake fighting going on in the ring.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

It's actually been posted in several threads here already, including this one on this very page!

But still, it's an exciting time and we can all be forgiven for our enthusiasm :)

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 11, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If you want to see WCW doing something insanely amazing and constructive, check out this thread today!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I posted:

Request to change thread title to 'WCW: Looks like something a bird left on the hood of my car'.

Was that ad even real though? You'd think if it was it would have shown up on the Internet by now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Sue Denim posted:

The aura of respect he was treated with within WCW in and outside of kayfabe compared to how he's presented and received in TNA is really depressing.

Something I find really interesting about this is that there were plenty of times during the last few years of WCW where it seemed like those running WCW were doing everything they could to discredit/humiliate Flair.... and for the most part the fans just ignored it and kept on loving Flair because it was Ric "By God!" Flair, goddammit. When it all fell apart and plenty of the people responsible for the damage were deserting the sinking ship, Flair stuck around and the fans still loved him - his promo on the last ever Nitro made me completely change my take on Flair as a washed up hasbeen clinging desperately on - as somebody who had always backed WWF over WCW and was putting on my shoes to dance on WCW's grave, his promo made me feel strongly for WCW as an organization and hate Vince McMahon for "killing" it.

When he returned to WWF in that amazing "THE CONSORTIUM...... WAS ME!" moment, I really felt he'd finally found a way to stay in wrestling without having to actually wrestle anymore. I was wrong, and he wrestled plenty after that, but even then he was still involved in some amazing matches, and his retirement match at Mania was an amazing spectacle and the absolutely perfect way to go out. I'm so sad that he just can't let go of the desire to wrestle, because he was guaranteed a huge salary and pretty much a guaranteed job for life in WWE in a non-wrestling role and he just couldn't deal with not being in that ring anymore. Scott Hall mentions something similar in that recent current affairs spot on him - that addiction to being in the ring and the absolute center of attention is just too much for some people to deny.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Spikeguy posted:

I just can't remember how it ended.

It didn't. At one point nWo people stopped showing up on the shows as nWo people, then they'd get back together only to disappear again, then it all started up in WWF as well. Finally the nWo ended with an announcement from Vince McMahon that they were now done and that was that.

There were a couple of points that could have been perfect for the nWo to end (or to tear itself apart through petty jealousies and the lack of a unifying factor), such as Starrcade 97, or the Hogan/Goldberg match. But it just kept on going and going and going.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't know how good the actual "invasion" itself was, but didn't the CZW*/ROH "War" have the end result of getting Steen and Generico into ROH? If so I consider that a huge success.

* I don't even know if it was CZW or some other terrible indy.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

HulkaMatt posted:

Pretty sure Steen and Generico weren't really in that feud at all though I could be wrong. End result would be more Hero and Castagnoli?

I stand corrected, but my point stands - they got the good stuff out of the wreckage of that horrible marriage.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Once WCW died, Vince even did an angle about how MSG was WWF territory, always had been and always would be, so they could then run an angle where Shane's "WCW" could invade the hallowed ground.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We just watched Souled Out 1997 - the PPV that was sponsored completely by the nWo and my God it was loving terrible. This COULD have been amazing, the concept of a stable completely taking over and running their own PPV and making the WCW wrestlers the "outsiders" could have been brilliant - if it had ended with the WCW guys doing the standard nWo run-in and beating down a top nWo guy could have, I think, made for incredibly compelling television.

Instead, it was just a dull and dreary affair peppered with hugely embarrassing and boring "beauty contest" segments, a standard main event, standard nWo finish etc. Another example of the missed opportunities as WCW turned potential gold into poo poo-covered straw.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oatgan posted:

Oklahoma announcing is bad enough but when he wins the Cruiserweight Title it gets much much worse.

I have seen that match once and only once, and it disgusted me enough that it was one of the major reasons I started actively avoiding WCW, but tell me if I remember this right:

1. Oklahoma declares that any man - ANY man - can beat any woman, because men are naturally better then women.
2. The Women's Champ takes exception to this and challenges him to a match.
3. Oklahoma BEATS the woman, clean. In the middle of the ring.
4. The now former Champ and a couple of other women "humiliate" Oklahoma by pouring jello down his pants or something.
5. Oklahoma is STILL the Champion, and still beat the Champ clean in the middle of the ring, suggesting that his asinine and chauvinistic claim was right on the money and even a fat useless sack of poo poo could beat the very best woman wrestler on the roster.
6. My Dad dives across the room and pulls the gun out of my mouth before I can pull the trigger.
7. A shitload of therapy follows.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

Cruiserweight champion.

For some reason this makes it even worse to me.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oatgan posted:

Medusa and Evan were a couple until Medusa caught Evan hitting on Spice backstage. Medusa was scheduled to be in a match that night to determine who gets a shot at the cruiserweight title against Mona. Evan, who is on commentary, enters the ring for some reason and Medusa distracts him with her enormous breasts then hits a german suplex on Evan and pins him for the win (:psyduck:)

At the PPV they wrestle an actual match, but Spice (who came to the ring with Evan as a manager) distracts the ref and Medusa hits Evan with a low-blow then rolls him up for the pin. Then Spice becomes Medusa's manager, and her actions during this whole thing are never explained.

Didn't the Medusa/Evan relationship start up following Medusa complaining that she wasn't treated as a serious competitor due to her gender, after which she would be booked in huge mismatches against monsters where she would still put in a real effort while the commentary team mocked her for daring to want to be considered more than just tits and rear end? Then she fell in love with a male wrestler and basically became his arm-candy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

For those interested, we'll be watching a compilation of the Sting/nWo angle from one of WCW's greatest periods tonight at 7:30 Eastern. Well worth a watch if you've not seen it before, and worth another look if you haven't seen it in awhile.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

We just finished watching the Sting/nWo feud compilation and now I'm freshly pissed off at WCW again. How the gently caress could they blow what seemed to be an angle absolutely impossible to gently caress up? Jesus Christ, what a slap in the face after a year of building up their "dark knight" hero only for THAT to be the result.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

the_Vandal posted:

I agree with Lone Rogue 100% about how they should have had the Macho Man as a mole. That would have made up for how lovely turning him was. Especially considering all the bad blood between him and Hogan.

The trouble with this would be that Savage quite blatantly kept the belt on Hogan by (hilariously belatedly) hauling Hogan under the ropes about 3-4 seconds AFTER Piper had won the belt by putting Hogan to sleep, and the decision was overturned. If the aim was to get the belt off of Hogan, why would a mole Savage stopped him from losing it to Piper.

I do despair though that they didn't pick up on the idea of Sting putting together an army of trusty guys to combat the nWo - Sting, Savage, DDP, The Giant and even dumb ol' Lex Luger would have made for a formidable team.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh absolutely, that's a given. But for a little while, at least, he could have thought he had true friends :shobon:

Astro7x posted:

I never understood why WCW never teamed up against the nWo. You'd have battle royals like WW3 where the nWo just sat there and did nothing while all the WCW guys fought each other.

After going through the compilations of the nWo stuff recently, I can only come to the conclusion that the WCW roster was just flat out incredibly loving stupid.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

If Randy Savage had raped Stephanie then Vince McMahon would have had him murdered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRayPer posted:

From the 5/8/95 Observer.

Holy Christ.

"Hey we're doing a story on a wrestler accused of doing steroids, can you send us photos of him?"
"No that would be dumb, have some pictures of our two biggest stars for your steroids story instead."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

LividLiquid posted:

once Vince dies

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

In three hours we will be watching Slamboree 96, BATTLE BOWL here: http://sync.coconono.org/r/greatestnitroinhistoryofoursport

This was WCW's third attempt to prove that fans don't care about marquee matches, they will only buy PPVs with crazy gimmicks. Won't you tune in and prove them right?

That show was a nightmare, like watching Wrestlemania 4 without the benefit of,"IT'S WRESTLEMANIA! :woop:"

There were nuggets of good in there though - Arn costing himself the match to advance Flair AND put a beating on Savage was pretty drat awesome. The Sting/Giant match was surprisingly fun too.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Triple H got a pretty solid match out of The Great Khali, which is so beyond my ability to comprehend that I feel like I just watched the Battlebowl all over again.

But then he also got a horrendously bad match out of Kozlov that probably destroyed any chance Kozlov had to be elevated for all time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

You'd have to be brain-damaged to unironically title a book: Forgiven - One Man's Journey from Self-Glorification to Sanctification.

Yes I'm still mad about that.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I watched Raw each week, and sometimes I'd try to watch Nitro but I generally got bored or frustrated or both with it and would stop watching it for a few weeks at a time - whenever I came back it was generally pretty much the same thing happening anyway, Hogan was the Champion and the show would end with an nWo beatdown. So I probably watched maybe 2 hours a week minimum and 4-5 hours at an absolute maximum. Of course when Smackdown came along I always watched that, so that doubled my wrestling watching.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yo Eleven posted:

Does that mean that Norman Smiley is the only person never to have turned on Sting?

Norman never ran out to guard Sting's corner from an nWo attack, and Bret Hart had to come out instead to save the day much to Sting's disappointment. Norman broke his heart that day.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

21 Hoot Salute posted:

One of the smaller differences between WWE and WCW was the wrestler entrances. WCW wrestlers had a much longer walk to the ring and would often look directly at the camera and trash talk it all the way to the ring.

My big problem with this is that I could never hear what they were saying over the crowd noise, the music and the commentators, which gave the whole thing a really bush league feel to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MassRafTer posted:

GAB 96 was a great show.

It was pretty drat good, yeah. (that's the one we just watched, right? :ohdear:)