Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Does anyone have good backstage stories or interviews about Jericho jumping ship?

That was right around the time spoilers were 80 percent of the internet and I was still in the naive mode of avoiding them at all costs, so the countdown was the last real surprise that I enjoyed in wrestling

I can imagine smug WCW bookers watching and thinking it would fall on its face, and Vince literally making GBS threads himself at the pop 'JERICHO' got when it flashed on the titantron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
But WCW was backed by crazy billionaire money and TNA is backed by I dont even know

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

Lone Rogue posted:

The biggest part about the Monday Night Wars is that it allowed you to pick what you wanted to watch. If Raw and Nitro were on at the very same time and you were watching Raw, if you didn't like a guy or a storyline or there was a commercial, you flipped to Nitro. And vice versa. This usually gave you a two hour wrestling show of what YOU wanted to see, no commercials.

This is why pro wrestling, even when making millions of dollars, had trouble getting sponsors. These sponsors were not dumb. The moment Raw had a commercial, even in its glory days, people would flip to Nitro to see what was going on there. Fortunately for the WWF, it was usually dogshit.

Being :canada:, we got Raw on Monday Night and Nitro on Tuesday night. There wasn't really a war. It was moreso wrestling all week. Mondays were Raw. Tuesdays were Nitro. Wednesday's were Thunder. Thursdays were Smackdown!. Fridays you could rent a wrestling tape. Saturdays and Sundays were a big combination of Worldwide/Saturday Night/Heat/Jakked/Metal/Shotgun and Superstars. We didn't get to miss the commercials by flipping to the other show.

I guess that's why I enjoyed last Monday so much. I got to feel what Americans got during the Monday Night War.

TNT used to run Nitro right after Nitro would end, or like an hour later. I think they wedged an episode of Walker...Texas Ranger in the middle sometimes, but if something really amazing happened, you could just set ye olde vcr and watch it the next day. That's why despite being mainly a WWF fan for the monday night war era, I have an oddly extensive collection of NItro on tape

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

LividLiquid posted:

WCW was owned by Time Warner. Warner Brothers owns DC. The only superhero ripoff they ever did?

Arachnaman.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6m5e3_arachnaman-vs-steve-austin_sport#.UQBPNaF2GuM

The Crow?

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Nobody better say anything remotely bad about The Rundown.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

oldpainless posted:

The only clip I ever saw of HKB was Brooke and Nick talking about something and then a 15-second clip of Brooke booty-dancing in front of Nick.

I saw Brooke threatening to wrestle Nick on a bed and him agreeing in a very salacious manner. OKAY!

That Hogan clan is an odd bunch.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
The Juvie-copying-Rock thing started, i think, because Rock dropped his name in a random promo. Like in a derogatory way - "You think you're tough because you've been fighting jabronies named Juventud?", and somebody at WCW got worked up about it.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tell the T-rex to stop wearing long tights, he has great quads & he should be showing them off.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost

nasboat posted:

Right, but I think he was more referring to Hogan claiming the ratings spikes were him and that execs believed it. I don't know that all the execs believed it, but it's certainly just another card that Hogan would think to have in his pocket and is an example of the way he played politics in general. To the OPs question, I don't think it was the crux of Hogan's contract negotiations but he's certainly the kind of guy who would keep PPV numbers, ratings numbers and whatever else he could to show that he's the top dog and should remain as such.

Executives get to where they are by understanding what battles to pick. A lot of them would be smart enough to 'get' what Hogan was doing (if they even cared to think about it), but they certainly wouldn't risk their positions to point it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

Nap Ghost
Let me tell you, when that guy gets shot for trying to deliver mail, I lost it.