Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
I was watching back in Ye Olden Times when Turner bought WCW, and I can say that while the transition from "a more serious alternative to WWF" to "watered-down rejected cartoony WWF stuff" was truly completed upon Hogan's arrival, it really began in earnest when Turner took over things from JCP.

The Ding Dongs, Arachnaman, PN News, Van Hammer, Kevin Nash as Oz, and of course the Shockmaster...all that kind of goofy cartoony poo poo was well in place in WCW long before Hogan ever entered the picture. Oh sure, they still had the occasional violent bloody brawl; but even before the end of the legendary Flair/Funk feud in 1989, the ball was well and truly rolling towards stuff like Robocop saving Sting from the Four Horsemen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Die Laughing posted:

My only memory of him was seeing him against Benoit in some sort of falls count anywhere match, and they were fighting in a bathroom. It was actually a pretty drat good match from what I can remember when I was 11. Apparently this was Great American Bash '96, which was Rey Mysterio's WCW debut, and was also where the big Outsiders vs Sting, Luger, and Macho Man was set up. Also where Bischoff got power bombed through the table which was the coolest thing at the time.

Fun fact: this was also during the feud where Sullivan "lost" Nancy to Benoit, both in storyline and in real life.

:smith:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
The big problem with the whole "Bischoff was going to come back and save WCW" narrative is that it forgets that it was Bischoff's trademark/copyright-violating antics that got Vince awarded "right of first refusal" of any WCW sale in the first drat place. If he hadn't done poo poo like deliberately confusing audiences (that weren't "smark" audiences) as to whether or not Hall and Nash were with the WWF or not, Vince wouldn't have been able to come right back a second time (after he was forced to drop his first attempt when WCW was still on Turner TV) and scoop it up.

And keep in mind that Bischoff did those sorts of things after he had been explicitly warned by Turner legal not to do them. But it sure was worth it just so he could have Madusa drop the WWF Women's title in a trash can, wasn't it? :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

bow chicka wow wow posted:

I want to believe that after making the first set of Hulk Hogan Inflatable Rafts, they made a second five years later.

It's certainly not an improbable situation, given the overall picture of WCW-related money-losing ventures.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Hit Man posted:

More Heenan talk. I'm a huge Bobby Heenan mark and I enjoy rewatching classic WWF with his commentary. Someone tell me what his time in WCW was like? Was he mostly miserable? Did management let him be himself?

From what I gather Heenan was by and large miserable in WCW, he disliked Schiavone and most of the other behind-the-scenes guys running things, and basically stopped giving a poo poo after he figured out nobody else in the company was there to do anything beyond collecting giant paychecks. He's said that he actually intended to retire (or at least not work a full-time schedule in wrestling any more) after he left the WWF, but the money and convenience for his family (his daughter was attending college in a Southern state, I think maybe Mississippi or Alabama, and it was a lot easier to drive over and see her from Atlanta than it would have been from Minnesota or wherever Heenan was living) convinced him to give it a shot.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
TNA doesn't even have 10 guys that could realistically main event a program against Bully Ray, let alone win the strap and be taken seriously as the top guy. They don't even have 10 that could realistically be used as fodder to be fed to BR, as part of the buildup to his eventual passing of the torch to that up-and-comer Hulk Hogan. Who I believe had a cup of coffee in WCW once upon a time, now I think of it. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 12, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

I honestly don't think Steph has enough character to run a business like WWE or be in a high ranking position even at this point in her life. There was a reason why Shane took all those ridiculous bumps. He wanted to be able to shoot poo poo with the wrestlers when he took over and be able to say things like, "I know where you're coming from man. God drat, this one time Kurt Angle was supposed to suplex me through this wall, and the fuckin' thing didn't break." It's probably also the reason he left to be his own man. It's like, Shane comes from money, but he knows the value of building character and life experience. I don't think Steph has the same drive. I mean her run as on on screen performer was OK and I wouldn't expect her to take these huge bumps, but I bet you wouldn't see her helping tear the set down after a RAW or any of the other grunt work that would help her appreciate the entire production and the work that goes into it.

I'm just basing this on speculation, of course.

There's a running story/joke that if HHH and Stephanie got divorced before Vince left WWE, and Vince had to choose which of them he was going to hand control of WWE over to, his reply would be "I'm gonna miss Stephanie." :v:

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Wasn't it revealed that a few of Shane's ideas actually got pitched for booking and they were grounded even less in logic and reality than Steph's ideas?

I vaguely remember reading that one of his ideas was building a main event program (and possibly a title run) around Raven.

E: Also, regarding Scott Steiner in WCW, I remember when he first appeared on the scene and everyone had him pegged as a future superstar. Which he did eventually turn into; it's just that most people figured he would be a star based on his outstanding wrestling ability, instead of being a steroid monster that cut outlandish promos. :v:

Sydney Bottocks fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 20, 2013

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

haljordan posted:

I still can't believe how many matches are won/lost and how many belts change hands due to sheer pettiness and spite. The concept of forcing someone to job as a punitive measure is a really funny way of handling workplace discipline.

My favorite story along these lines comes from the pre-Bischoff WCW days, when Bill Watts told people like Brian Pillman that they either needed to accept a salary cut, or else they'd be used as jobbers for the duration of their WCW contracts. To which Pillman replied "Then I'll be the highest-paid jobber in the business." :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Wario Kart 64 posted:

Yeah, I hear a lot about DC making dumb decisions(I mean, this exists: http://hasdcdonesomethingstupidtoday.com/) but I wonder if a company that owns Superman and Batman could ever really die.

People have wondered if a company that employed Hulk Hogan could ever really die, and now we're on the verge of finding that out for the second time! :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

CobiWann posted:

Nope. It was all the way to the final commercial break.

And the match still ended with a nWo run-in after Hogan got beat up for "50" minutes.

I seem to recall that at the time, they even tried to legitimately tout it as one of the longest Hogan matches ever, or some poo poo like that. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

david carmichael posted:

Golf has an entire channel about it, and its really successful and like 8 guys are watching it at any point during a weekday.

Clearly, the Westminster Dog Show needs its' own channel. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Sting wielding Sting like a bat.

And having his entrance music performed live by Sting. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Red posted:

Sting was part of the most entertaining and bizarre War Games match, where a fake Sting showed up, fooling no one except for the announcers.

Which wasn't even the first time that happened! See: Halloween Havoc 1990, and a match where Sting and Sid Vicious brawled to the back...after which Sting returned to the ring, having gained a few inches in height and lost quite a bit of his muscle definition. But it totally wasn't just Barry Windham in a Sting outfit, no sir.

Well, not until the end of the match, anyways, when the real Sting "escaped" and the match was restarted. :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

BigT posted:

TNA will never get there because they are still trying to capture the hay day of the WCW without realizing how they got there in the first place.

They've been very diligent about it, too, because they've certainly made every single mistake WCW did. From thinking they can just spend their way into the #2 spot, to hiring Hulk Hogan and giving him a prominent role on TV. Who would've guessed that repeating the same mistakes from WCW's past wouldn't work the second time out? :v:

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

flashy_mcflash posted:

On the other hand, WCW had Bob Mould on staff as Creative so you'd think he'd have a suggestion or two of what musicians might be good to bring in. Imagine if WCW had managed to snag the Foo Fighters or something.

It still blows my mind that WCW actually hired one of my favorite musicians ever to help book their shows back in the day, just like it did when I had previously read that he was a big wrestling fan (he even wore an AWA shirt at various times in photos). I loved Hüsker Dü and his solo stuff, and his work in Sugar is some of my favorite music ever to this day. :3:

I do recall reading an interview where someone asked him about his time in WCW, and Mould basically said he realized early on that it wasn't a good fit for him (or something along those lines), so he ended up leaving without having any real influence/impact on WCW's booking.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!
I think one of my favorite Luger moments was back after Flair got the book, when he turned heel. I forget the exact details but it was basically something where he went "if being the U.S. champion makes me the #1 contender to Flair's world title, then I'm going to go win the U.S. championship" and proceeded to do so in true heel fashion. Not sure why, but I just found that to be one of those little enjoyable "hey, that actually makes sense" kinda moments that are so rare in pro wrestling.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

NikkolasKing posted:

The Territories sounded like little fiefdoms run by many people just as bad if not even worse than VKM.

By and large they were, but generally speaking the guys who ran the territories at least knew enough to protect their top-drawing guys (both heel and face) and were usually smart enough to know that if the fans got behind someone, they should push them as much as they could to make as much money as possible, instead of burying them or trying to humiliate them with a stupid gimmick. There are certainly exceptions to all this, of course; a lot of the promoters did suffer from terrible hubris to varying degrees, and many times let guys go who ended up doing tremendous business in the WWF (Verne refusing to make Hogan the top guy when he was red hot in the AWA is probably the best example of this).

The main benefit the territories provided was a variety of places for wrestlers to ply their trade and make money. To paraphrase Ole Anderson, during the territory days there were several dozen places a wrestler could go to and expect to make pretty decent money if they were any good, whereas nowadays that number is a hell of a lot smaller.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Randaconda posted:

Spice was the best Nitro girl, do not @me.

Hell yes she was :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Funkchop posted:

I like being reminded that Spice was the best Nitro Girl, please remind me of this more often

She absolutely was :tutbutt: