Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Schiavone was always in business for himself in regards to politics, i know a big crome in wrestling. But thats one of the big things against him in that he would happierly bury people to get ahead. But then pretty much any top draw in wrestling History has done the same.

Personally if he did say come to the WWE he'd be in the top 3 of announcers WWE have on Shows atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

They are if we stop beliving they'll cease to exist.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Salt In The Wound posted:

Also they could be confused with the memorable Renegade.

You are wrong the Renegade was never memorable. But he is dead so very very dead.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

I was using part of a simpsons quote.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

I like how before the match it has Hogan and flair and like 10 years later both are still wrestling for WCW 2010.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Sadly WWE did the same thing with the European title around the same time. So its not WCW exclusive for finding titles in bins. Mideon found the Euro title in case people cared.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

They never should have given him music. It was such a unique thing just no music think the lights when down and he appeared.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

ITV used to show worldwide mid afternoon on a saturday in my region. I never really got really into wrestling until i got cable in 98 and then it was WWE because I used to rent the ppv tapes from blockbuster.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Russos at home right now crying that he didn't think to swerve on what day a ppv is happening.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Hopefully that is being stopped alittle under HHH seeing as the whole shield heat stories and the fact they didn't end up jobbing their titles and get busted down to Main Event/Superstars.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

I think we're past the point where we should be shocked that any notable wrestler and their friends were making major money for very little in WCW. But Hogan deffo had their pants down with that deal.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

The whole WW3 concept is one of those sounds cool on paper, 3 rings, loads of wrestlers but then in execution the visual isn't as good and as mentioned you cannot follow really whats going on.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

rap is crap is worth the purchase alone.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Say Nothing posted:

So, it's like giving The Maestro a job because they wanted the Gorgeous George name that was legally his?

Which then raises the question on was there a better entrance than a guy coming down from the rafters playing a piano?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Thats the thing with miller like he wasn't the greatest in the ring but he was a memorable figure who did some fun stuff and basically had a lot of fun and wasn't super serious despite being a legit karate badass

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

DrVenkman posted:

Yeah, and it's pretty sad. He seemed to be doing so well. I mean, you could kind of see this coming when he moved out of DDP's place. I remember someone asking DDP about it and he was like "Oh yeah it's totally cool bro he's doing great", and you could tell that he didn't believe it. I think it was Nash that said that if things don't work out with DDP then nothing will.

On the flip side is Jake still doing well? He always looks so happy now in the photo's i had seen.

Hall is a really sad case especially as everyone has pretty much given up on reforming him now.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

triplexpac posted:

You mean a professional wrestler might not have saved his money wisely after his peak years????

I thought he had and the divorce as always cleaned him out good and proper

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Agreed anything involving New Jack is safe.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Underfaker and the legends of doom were other staples of 90s British wrestling.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Benne posted:

If it wasn't for DDP Jake would've been on that list years ago

I think Jake had reached Keith Richards levels where he'd transcended the harmful effects of drugs and alcohol and was basically sustained on them!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I think the spurs predates the boat accident by a few years

Or maybe... It foreshadowed it....

Dun dun dunnnnn

(ron bass drove the second boat)

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Well WCW probably would have been like tna and just using whatever cast off's WWE had no use for. Really TNA may have been a decent indicator to how WCW would have progressed had vince not bought them.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Didn't cyber sunday also draw poor in comparison when WWE ran those random match concepts?

Its always a good idea on paper but people want to know what they're getting into before dropping what was probably 30/60 bucks at the time.

Agree with the network era and the fact we're all in anyway its a concept which could work.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

The Cat owned will fight anyone (via karate) who disagrees.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

best part of the monday night war was when all the this is the poo poo which went on in the wcw locker room this week stories would drop on the sheet websites. Place was pretty much animal house the wrestling locker room.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Chris James 2 posted:

Bagwell guested on this week's episode of Sitting Ringside With David Penzer https://www.mandatory.com/wrestlezone/news/1056301-buff-bagwell-plane-crash-angle-rumors-correct

quote:
[Penzer:] So, I’ve wanted to ask you this forever. There was a rumor going around that Eric wanted to work an angle having you “die” in a plane crash and come and interfere in a match and not smarten up the boys. Is that correct?

[Bagwell:] 100% correct! MGM Grand was one of the last Halloween Havocs we did (1998), and he wanted me to die in a plane crash and so he was going to do it. I had already called my parents to get them ready for this, my wife to let them know, and then they switched it, I did some kind of a run in, I think in a Bill Clinton mask. (If we went through with the original plan), he wanted me to come down like a ghost, on wires, after the plane crash.

That sounds awful but i so want to see that now and its like gonna have to live out the remainder of my days wondering just how awful and corny it would have been.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

Then they walked away into a rainbow holding hands* so everything was all right :)

* Dramatization, may not have happened

But it did

I love how Eric and Bruce both parlayed podcasts making GBS threads on dave into WWE jobs.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

fart blood posted:

Is Bischoff broke broke or “on paper” broke?

Declared bankruptcy the other year due to bad investments.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

https://www.docketbird.com/court-cases/Eric-A-Bischoff-and-Loree-E-Bischoff/azb-2:2017-bk-05021

you can read the court doc on his bankruptcy there it actually got finalized in may this year.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

It also had goldbergs best entrance. Everything about it was just epically done maybe one of the last truely great wcw moments for like actual good content and not good because its so crazy and dumb like ITS THE WALL BROTHER.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Jerusalem posted:

From memory they did replay the entire thing the next night on Nitro at least.

Yes, which was i think the only time the UK got a wcw ppv match shown.

Not sure they were ever carried. Hell at the time the wwe ones were "free" with a sky sports subscription.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WCW-Slapnuts-Blvd-Street-Sign-Good-Condition-Little-Faded-Thats-About-It-/233114668748

we mock this merch but if we'd been savvy we'd be making amazing amounts of bank off it these days.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Didn't Van Hammer argue that he should instead by a higher rank, not understanding the joke?

Yes that is something that apparently happened.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

DeathChicken posted:

Shane Douglas might be the biggest example of great theme music attached to lousy wrestler who ever lived

Rob Conway?

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

And now its a really fun product which no one watches.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Jonny Nox posted:

I remember it had almost completely run down, and then a Hulk Hogan raft appeared on ebay

Then we got a goon bidding war going on for it.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

abraxas posted:

Apparently Alex Wright moved his wrestling school to the city I live in? I just googled him and I could pay his place a visit after work if I wanted to. I'd rather not though, because I'm a fat, old and out of shape man who would probably get his rear end kicked post haste.

just go and do the dance he'll instantly take you on as a protege.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

enserfud posted:

We did not had any rights

Its the youtube we own nothing in the description or putting the whole fair use law before putting up whole copyrighted shows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

OH YEAH!

Royal Updog posted:

Without a TV slot, how much was WCW really worth? Like how many people sub to the network for archive stuff as opposed to the PPVS? Is it even half a million dollars worth?

If you sat on the tape library you'd be able to make more than that licencing the content of course this is with hindsight you wouldn't have had in 2001.

I mean even back then a bunch of comp dvd's would maybe claw you back the money i remember all those ecw dvds that popped up when some company got a hold of their footage.