Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

In my infinite beer-filled wisdom I decided to watch every WCW Nitro and PPV starting from the first Nitro going forward.

Holy poo poo what the hell. I started watching wrestling with WCW around 97 so this is somewhat new. I'm on the first Nitro in November following Halloween Havoc 95 and some guy in a turban is singing to Hulk Hogan on Venice Beach whilst Macho Man just nods and looks annoyed. I want OSW Review to do a Dungeon of Doom arc because it's both the best/worst thing I've ever seen.

God help me I PREFER Mongo/Bischoff/Brain over Schiavone/Brain/Larry.

Edit: Old School Power to the People! Fans get to call the WCW Hotline #PHONE LINE NO LONGER AVAILABLE and choose wrestlers from the Red/Blue locker room to compete. It's amazing.

Edit 2: Pretty sure Eddie Guerrero has different music each appearance.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Oct 1, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

Remember when Scott Keith made some snide post about El Dandy being the shittiest worker on Nitro or something

Who is he to doubt El Dandy?!

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

i've been watching old Nitro episodes in order starting from the beginning, and it's amazing how much better everything NOT involving Hogan is. Luger/Savage, Luger/Sting, Flair/Anderson/Pillman, DDP/Badd, the Cruiserweights, even the Giant decimating the roster is cheesy fun. Hell, I even really enjoyed a Pitbull/Kurosawa match! It probably helps that Nitro is only an hour long at this stage, but it's a really easy watch. I only get bored when Hogan on the screen. Dude just rambles incessantly about nothing, repeating himself over and over again. I like how he Dark Side'd his drat neckbrace. Clown.

Mongo really sucks at commentary but his enthusiasm makes up for it. Dude seems to really enjoy himself. I could do without Bischoff.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Alain Post posted:

And then he became the best heel of all time for like three solid years.

well he's a massive fucker IRL so I guess that makes sense. I remember watching WCW in our house but I don't recall these old Nitros, so it's been a fun trip thus far.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Mongo's dog for HOF

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Kevin Nash pretending to rip his quad in the WWE is a level of self-aware trolling that allows me to forgive his WCW transgressions

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Please tell me AEW makes use of the second fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4t2zR_YeBng

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

TheKingslayer posted:

"And here is where I keep the tomb of Andre the Giant, brother!"

Alright this got me good

Hulk Hogan's myriad of lies is my favorite wrestling-related thing ever. It's so loving ridiculous. Hulkster can smell death on a sick child, brother. Hulk Hogan was gonna be a bassist for Metallica, Jack. Woody shuffled a 9-foot tall Antonio Inoki right off the mortal coil, dude, by submitting him with the first ever triangle choke in front of 100,000 screaming Pride-amaniacs, Mean Gene

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Heenan marking out to Flair's victory was amazing and probably would have been eye-rollingly dumb if it were anybody else. The man was a master of his craft.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

NikkolasKing posted:

Somebody posted this in here already but I was legit impressed by Nash doing a leapfrog over The Giant and then flying over the ropes onto the big man.
https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCir...web2x&context=3

In any event, I'm going through the retro reviews again for a bit. Is 95-97 WCW the absolute peak of Lex Luger's career? It has to be. He was so ungodly over and his character and the storylines with him were perfect. Really generic music, though.

His win over Hogan on Nitro for the title is still one of my favorite WCW moments. His tweener stuff with Sting was also really good

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Shane Douglas had an incredibly awful match with one of the Pitbulls that lasted for what felt like 3 hours and involved that lovely chain of his

Shane Douglas sucks

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Hulkster was scouted by and was begged to play for the Cincinnati Reds, dude. He didn't have time between Metallica band practice and PRIDE prize fighting, jack

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Didn't he have Undertaker believing for months, maybe years, that Taker had hosed up his neck with the Tombstone at Survivor Series 92? Then, upon review, Hulk's head came nowhere close to the ground. Safest tombstone ever, lmao

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Yeah it's carnies all the way down. Hogan operates like he's under a fae curse where he has to lie when describing his life. I feel like the attendance of Wrestlemania III and weight of Andre go up every time he tells that story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

davidbix posted:

I've heard all sorts of conflicting versions as to whether it was years later or the following week at TV, but I think Undertaker's version was the latter. It seems agreed upon that it really happened, though. For further reading: https://babyfacevheel.substack.com/p/hulk-hogan-undertaker-survivor-series-91

The one monkey wrench thrown into this is that if Hogan completely faked the injury, he didn't just do it to mess with Undertaker's head (or at least disrupted more than that). Hogan was unable to cut his hard sell promo for Tuesday in Texas because he was being tended to, with Sean Mooney having to do it instead, and that clearly wasn't the original plan.

Great article. Hogan is loving ridiculous