Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Throw reason right out the fuckin' window.

MassRayPer posted:

When this happened what I had always heard was the reason the January deal fell through was one of the financial backers, whether it was Fusient or some other partner backed out. So they had to come up with new funding, but the deal was still presumed to be going on, they just needed to sure up their financing. This was a company that was brand new and hadn't done a deal close to this magnitude before. This was just the talk of the time, and a quick search shows the same basic story, but I have no idea where I first heard it. It was just what WCW fans talked about at the time.

Bischoff talked about this in his book. Basically Fusient was looking through the books and examining WCW's numbers, and when they saw not only how much money they had tied up, but also how much they were losing, one of the top financial backers freaked and bailed out on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

FishBulb posted:

On the best coast, erh, I mean west coast, Nitro was on at 5 and when it was over Raw started so I just watched both, BACK TO BACK TO BACK like a good little smark.

I use to be so excited for Monday nights because I could do the 5 hours of non-stop wrestling.

Of course when they stopped airing Nitro live on the West Coast I stopped watching. Kind of bummed since I missed WCW2000.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Lazy like a Fox posted:

I always thought that Rey lost his mask to Eddie?

e: Thought I'd add- Rey losing his mask is the reason A) they don't call him Rey Mysterio Jr. anymore and B) the reason they never show Rey wrestle when they do a mexico tour- he can't wear the mask down there anymore. Lucho culture is so intense, I'd love to see a company really respect it the way that Chikara does, but on a bigger scale.

In his book, if I remember right, Rey's uncle, the original Rey Misterio, gave his blessing for Rey to drop the Jr. from his name and be the only Rey Mysterio.

He also talked about wearing the mask in Mexico again and he was really worried about the reaction he'd get. The people warmed up to the idea and accepted it because they missed it. According to him, it's a much more acceptable practice to lose your mask and wear it again down the line than it use to be.

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

I just can't figure out why Abbott cut holes out the 2 holes in his shirt so his man nipples were showing.

I laughed during the Steiner/Nash match when Midajah runs in and they mention her getting powerbombed by Nash and Hudson says "At least she goes up for a powerbomb!"

I also wonder if Vampiro ever introduced Muta to the life changing music and message of ICP...

UndergroundHero
Feb 1, 2005

Dragging Iron Feet posted:

No need to when he was in the Dark Carnival with Vampiro & ICP. That's right, WCW brought back Japanese wrestling legend (and I think unofficial one time world champion) The Great Muta and put him in a stable with the Insane Clown Posse.

Yeah, he was in the dark carnival, but can you imagine Vampiro sitting backstage, putting headphones on Muta and cranking a CD of ICP?

Muta looks confused while Vampiro slowly moves his head to some grove, telling Muta "This poo poo is the real poo poo."