Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

MassRayPer posted:

Bischoff and Fusient had been trying to buy the company for three months, and by March it had become obvious that Fusient was not what Bischoff had made it out to be. Fusient hadn't made close to the level of an investment before and the company was less than a year old when this whole thing went down. The whole thing was sketchy and AOL-Time Warner got sick of Bischoff and his flakey backers.

This is the truth. All Vince did was buy the WCW name and the video library; he didn't even buy the rings or trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Coffey posted:

The idea of the Ding Dongs wasn't nearly as bad as the idea of the Hunchbacks. See, they had humps on their backs, so you couldn't pin their shoulders to the ground! They couldn't be beat!

*sigh* Poor WCW.

I voted for Russo by the way.

The Ding Dongs were the ones with the hunchbacks.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Hudson posted:

I wonder whatever happened to that Women's Title that Madusa dropped in the trash.

The plan was for Jim Duggan to find it and defend it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Can we talk about something that WCW did that I thought was great? I really thought the WCW All-Nighter specials were awesome from top to bottom.

For those not aware, WCW ran a couple of marathons on TBS of old matches and it was hosted by Tony, Larry, Bobby & Gene hanging out in what appeared to be a hotel room like they were having a sleepover of sorts and they would talk about the matches and the angles before and after they showed them.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

oldpainless posted:

I was in high school during the Monday Night Wars and me and my friends (read: my dog) watched a LOT of wrestling and I cannot ever recall these marathons.

That's because they took place before the Monday Night Wars.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CVagts posted:

DDP vs. The Machine. It happened on Thunder. It was very hilarious.

Here. http://www.wrestlinggonewrong.com/video/ddp_machine_ropes.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emory_Hale

He's dead.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

Booker T vs Jeff Jarrett - 49'ers match for the held up world title vacated by former champion Vince Russo. It was a mystery box on a pole match that two men qualified for by winning a tag match earlier in the show.

Also the last match Russo ever booked in WCW.

Words don't do it justice.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2taco_bookert-vs-jeff-jarrettwcw-title_sport

Completely terrible. WCW Champion Dave Penzer?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Free Market Gravy posted:

He didn't get bitter because of it, though.

In fact, DDP is probably one of the objectively happiest and most positive people there is.

That's not a bad thing, that's a good thing.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

From what I've heard; back in '91 during a tour in the UK, a bunch of wrestlers were hanging out at the bar of the hotel they were all staying at. WCW was still taping weeks of television at a time, so a few episodes of Worldwide (I think) had already been shot with Sid as champion, even though he hadn't actually won the belt yet at a live televised event. Being that he was chosen to get the belt, it went right to his head and he was being a real rear end in a top hat about it that night. Arn Anderson tried to put him in his place and it almost turned into a brawl, but they were separated by everyone else. Later on, Sid showed up at Arn's hotel room, ready to finish the fight. During the scuffle, Sid grabbed a pair of scissors and stabbed Arn a few times, somehow stabbing himself as well. WCW immediately fired Sid (which is why he showed up in WWF shortly after, and why WCW didn't hire him back until '99) and found themselves in deep poo poo because, as I said, they already had weeks of TV in the can with him as champion. I believe it was shortly after this that they were able to get Flair to come back, essentially saving the company. Yet again.

Not quite. After the bar fight, Arn showed up at Sid's hotel room with a pair of scissors and stabbed Sid three times. Sid got them from him and stabbed him like 36 times. Needless to say, Sid won the fight.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Minges posted:

For what it's worth, they were safety scissors.

loving safety scissors.

Yeah, but according to GIS, all of these are called safety scissors:

3 of those could really hurt someone.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Iskanderson posted:

They also ran a mock funeral angle within a week of Dale Earnhardt dying, if I recall.

That's stretching it, don't you think?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

joshtothemaxx posted:

Maybe a bit of stretch, but NASCAR, WCW, and SEC Football were the top 3 Southern sports at the time. I'm guessing there was a ton of crossover. Hell, I STILL see people wearing Earnhardt Sr. shirts around today. I bet a few toothless wonders were slightly offended.

How many people had funerals that week besides Dale Earnhardt? How many wrestlers fell to their death in that same arena? There's a pretty big difference there.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Strawberry Panda posted:

But they couldn't but a ticket because the tickets were free!

What always worries me about that segment is that DX was allowed to drive around in a fake tank with fake guns and no one was scared.

It wasn't a tank, it was a jeep and they were in Norfolk, which is a military town.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Strawberry Panda posted:

I should have put tank in quotations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DbQ8tFuSbg go to 30 seconds. It's just a jeep.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Strawberry Panda posted:

I know it's a jeep but the bazooka thing makes it look like it's supposed to resemble a tank.

Not really. It looks like a jeep with a gun attached, even though it the gun has probably been de-commissioned.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Gavok posted:

I really can't remember. WCW is just one big blur to me.

One thing that annoyed the hell out of me in WCW that wasn't really their fault was the Lodi/Lenny Lane angle. Lodi, at the time, was little more than a recurring jobber. Lenny Lane was just the guy known for looking like Chris Jericho. They put the two together as heels and gave them an Ambiguously Gay Duo gimmick. It got really over and fans seemed to really dig it. Lodi actually started winning matches! One could argue that they were one of the most over acts in WCW for a couple weeks.

Then GLAAD stepped in. They didn't like the "FAGGOTS!" chant that the team rarely got. They made a big stink about the gimmick and had WCW drop it. In a statement, one of the representatives discussed how a gay wrestler angle could work and be deemed acceptable by them. I can't remember their exact guidelines, but it was very apparent that they didn't know what they were talking about because Lodi/Lenny was exactly what they were asking for. But whatever, they got their way.

They weren't ambiguously gay, they were overtly gay.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

whatsabattle posted:

The real loser in the whole deal was Chris Jericho.

He never did get his Loverboy tape back from Larry. :(

According to a sign that Lodi carried on the Nitro after Jericho debuted on Raw, Jericho stole Lodi's pants.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Volcano Style posted:

You forgot to mention that he started using that name because he had lost a feud to a bloated Ahmed Johnson who claimed to have legal ownership of the letter T and that he didn't want to be known as just 'Booker' because 'all the boys in the back would hate him.'

Stupid and fourth wall breaking. Classic Russo.

I think it was Mark Madden that said that all of the boys in the back would hate him, not Booker himself.

Kammat posted:

I have to admit the "Rap is Crap" song one group came up with as a counter was kinda fun. Bobby Duncum Jr was one, can't remember the rest off the top of my head.

The West Texas Rednecks is who you're thinking of with Bobby Duncum, Barry Windham, Kendall Windham and Curt Hennig, I believe.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

CortezFantastic posted:

Where is this Bischoff calling Sid out about the scissors video? I completely remember seeing it as a kid on TV.

It was posted at least twice in this thread.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

dusty udder smoker posted:

it was a fairly common rumor in the early 90s.

The rumor was that the Warrior that came back at WrestleMania 8 wasn't the same one that left in the fall of 1991. The reason was that he had a different hairstyle. That's the rumor you are thinking of.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
Back to the TV Universe discussion for a minute.

When Judah Friedlander was on the MSG Raw as Frank, that means that Raw and 30 Rock share the same universe, right?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey, does anyone else remember when two guys who were already named Fit Finlay and Brian Knobbs formed a team called the Hardcore Soldiers, dressed in different colours of military camo and led Al Green around on a leash as their human dog?

That remains literally the gayest thing I have ever seen in my life.

Gayer than the tag team of Buff Bagwell & Scott Norton called Vicious & Delicious?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

triplexpac posted:

I was watching a Nitro from 2001, and there was a scene where DDP was signing copies of his book for fans. I am pretty sure AJ Styles was an extra in the scene, playing a dude WAY too excited to see DDP. It was pretty hilarious

AJ Styles was in WCW in 2001 so he wouldn't have to be an "extra," in the sense that he was a random body.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

Finally got my hands on a copy of The Death of WCW, and I gotta say, WCW's fuckups were just as bad before Bischoff showed up. The company was doomed to begin with if it weren't for Turner's wallet.

Does anyone have any footage of the cage match for the title at some pay per view debacle between Sid Viscous and random Flair replacement after Flair left for the WWF? The one where the crowd totally poo poo on the match and chanted "WE WANT FLAIR!" a bunch.

Bischoff was in WCW since like 1990. Do you mean when he was in charge?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Neodoomium posted:

They KNEW they were hiring wrestlers to be executives. They must have known what wrestlers consider proper civilian clothes. What the hell?

I believe it was a company that was started by friends of the Road Warriors and they became major investors in it.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

EricCrapton posted:

People are still talking about that Goldberg/Regal match? You'd think this was the biggest thing loving ever in pro wrestling, with the way the Internet has blown it out of proportion. To me, it falls into the category of "It's not nearly as big of a deal as you think it is" like Katie Vick and the Fingerpoke of Doom.

Katie Vick and the Fingerpoke of Doom were at least something - Regal/Goldberg was basically nothing.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Lamuella posted:

Did WCW ever put a pay per view on the same night as a WWF pay per view? I know there was a Clash Of Champions that was on the same night as one many years ago, but I didn't know if there had been any others

Free shows have run against both WCW & WWE PPVs, but no cable provider would have two wrestling PPVs on at the same time.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

triplexpac posted:

God I'm posting a lot about Russo. But anyway he says his justification for putting the belt on Arquette was that the title meant poo poo at the time, so who cares. The company was in the shitter and he needed to do something to get people talking about WCW again. Something to make the company worth talking about, like the WWF. So he put the title on Arquette.

It got WCW a lot of mainstream press actually, like mentions on entertainment shows. Courtney Cox even shot some sort of big promo video with David on another show with the belt, for free.

He says that even today he'd do it again, because look at us, we're still talking about that one WCW title change 10 years later. Of course we also talk about other horrible things today, it doesn't mean they were good ideas.

That's such a Russo way of thinking. WCW Title means nothing? Why not make it worse!

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

Hog Wild 96 had a poster/video cover of Hogan in his Hulkster costume while he had already been Hollywood for about a month. In fact, that was the PPV where he won the belt. I know the posters are done months in advance, but you think they could've had a little more insight then that.

Wouldn't that have blown the nWo reveal?

Also, Hog Wild was a free show for bikers, presumably bikers who knew little about wrestling and WCW. I'd say a poster with Hogan on it is probably the best bet.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Raeg posted:

Yeah, Kip Frye I think, Foley also mentions him in his first book. I think he got the bonus once but I can't remember who he was wrestling.

He was wrestling Abdullah the Butcher in a falls count anywhere match.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Giedroyc posted:

I'm sure being a former Pizza Hut manager with 0 wrestling knowledge who threw money around at a time when WCW didn't have much didn't help, hence why Bill Watts came in to cut costs.

He wasn't a Pizza Hut manager, he was in the corporate office.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

El Duke posted:

Kip Frye is not Jim Herd.

Kip Frye was in the Pizza Hut main corporate office and Jim Herd was in the corporate office of Pizza Hut of St. Louis. It isn't like they went from yelling at delivery drivers to yelling at wrestlers.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

El Duke posted:

I've never seen anything that said Kip Frey worked for Pizza Hut. He was a lawyer, worked at Turner starting in 1990, headed up WCW in 92, then went on to do other stuff. Never heard anything about Pizza Hut. Not saying it isn't possible, I've just never heard anything about him working for Pizza Hut, just Herd.

You're right. I quoted this post and kept running with the mistake that Giedroyc made.

Giedroyc posted:

I'm sure being a former Pizza Hut manager with 0 wrestling knowledge who threw money around at a time when WCW didn't have much didn't help, hence why Bill Watts came in to cut costs.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

LordPants posted:

The observer pretty much goes "Herd resigns, chucks a temper tantrum at Dusty,Magnum and JR. To be replaced by Frey."

And that's about it. No more headlines until rumors of Brett joining WCW (!!!) and then Watts being hired. But it is mentioned that Frey loved the cruiser weights and saw $$$ with a Pillman/Liger feud. And that led to the infamous Pillman contract dramas, which still boggle the mind.

The Bret to WCW rumor was in what? January 1992? The story is that he was planning on jumping and that's why he lost the IC Title to the Mountie right before the Rumble.

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

The American Dream posted:

who's in between Jimmy and Barron Von Raschke

Dory Funk?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005
When exactly was Judy Bagwell a tag champ?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I don't get why so many people complain that they gave away Hogan/Goldberg for free on NItro. Never in my life have I called a company stupid for giving me something for free... it could have been built better, yes, but I think that aspect of it was sort of cool in the sense that it made you want to tune in each week because anything could happen.

Because it was one of those matches that could have turned the whole direction of the company around. Instead, the most over guy on the roster took on the biggest heel in a match on free tv with 4 days build.

Can you imagine what would have happened had those two had a match on PPV with a proper build?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Sue Denim posted:

Some valid comments, but it's silly to play Sim Titan Towers all the time and worry about the business ramifications of these decisions, especially when it's relating to something that doesn't happen consistently. WWE gives away PPV standard world/WWE title matches on free tv very seldom and even less that are booked competitively. As fans we're only privy to very small fractions of information WWE or any organisation has to consider in making these decisions, consequently all we can do is speculate about what could/should be done ideally without having to worry about any factors that may hinder an ideal outcome.

I'm getting wide of my point, what I was trying to say is that some fans should just take off their smarky fantasy booker/promoter/owner hat sometimes and just appreciate it when a company does something nice for their fans like a good title match on free television.

Even if, had they made people pay for the match, the company may have not gone out of business when it did?

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

There are a lot of factors at play here. WWE no longer has rights to some themes used in wcw, some of the tapes probably need to be restored, on top of the fact that they would risk cannibalizing current DVD sales. You also have to remember that there are some things WWE just don't want us to see again.

If this post is to be believed - http://www.rspwfaq.com/2010/02/28/wwe-dvd-sales/ - DVD sales are pretty weak as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rusty Shackelford
Feb 7, 2005

Chunky Delight posted:

I hated Bobby Heenan's announcing in WCW it just seemed so phoned in.

Do you know who really phoned it in? Lee Marshall.