Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Gavok posted:

I have a fun WCW story as told to me by Glacier. First some background:

During the last several months of WCW, there was an angle about Glacier making another return. They would show the classic "Blood Runs Cold" vignettes, only this time the commentators would be talking over them as if it was Mystery Science Theater. They'd talk about how lame Glacier was and how little impact his return would have.

BUT! This feeling wasn't unanimous. Backstage, we would see Norman Smiley excitedly watching the monitor. He's all happy about Glacier coming back and wonders if Glacier got his letters. Glacier eventually showed up in Norman's locker room and told him -- like some kind of superhero -- that he'd always be there to protect him.

What followed was a short, but hilarious angle. Smiley would have matches with guys like Bam Bam Bigelow and would bask in the knowledge that Glacier had his back. Glacier would walk out to the ring... and schmooze with the crowd. A confused Norman would get his rear end handed to him in the ring while Glacier high-fived fans and signed autographs. Finally, after Norman was pinned and the winner left up the ramp, Glacier would slide into the ring and pose like he's ready to fight. After getting over that he's too late, he'd pick up the microphone and tell Norman that he'll always be there for him.

This happened a couple times.

As Glacier explained to me, he was sitting at home, watching Thunder (or whatever show it was) and saw two other wrestlers backstage, beating on "Glacier", which was just a silhouette of another wrestler pretending to be Glacier. He thought it was hilariously stupid. After that, he was never mentioned on-air again.

If they had successfully executed this angle, it would have been the best one in the company's final year. Even better than the much alleged 'Disco Inferno-gets-a concussion-and -transforms-into-Hulk Hogan' one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

Does anyone have good backstage stories or interviews about Jericho jumping ship?
Not a killer story but I loved the fact that WCW’s OWN TALENT made it a point to watch Jericho’s debut in the production truck to root for him and see how they’d treat WCW defections.

FishBulb posted:

Does Hogan just like loving love parades or something?
Man I want blah blah dollars up front creative control and a parade BROTHER
All those loving parades...not one assassination attempt. Talk about bad booking.

LividLiquid posted:

This is hardly fair. Name one person who thinks the six-sided ring is a great idea.

ME. I love the 6 sided ring & agree with the reasoning that the ring is the biggest visual to the casual viewer flipping channels and make their product stand out. I'd stop watching without the 6-sided ring.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
^^^
the man is shameless....so YEAH

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Bck in 1997, they weren't the sign Nazis the WE eventually became

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

Skinty McEdger posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQtn_Ek0C_g

He's still in character, but he is just so calm and normal.

Steiner is still such an impossible mark for himself - he's trying to downplay it but there is no off switch