Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

Mister E posted:

I'm just curious as to how much financial freedom Bischoff and Hogan are going to have in TNA. It Panda isn't keeping them on a tight leash I fear lots and lots of cars are once again going to get wrecked if things don't start swinging upwards.

Considering his personal life and what his son did, do you really expect any actual car wrecks happening if Hogan is anywhere near the book?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Hogan coming out to Voodoo Child is one of the greatest pieces of entrance + music ever done and it infuriates me that the Network redubbed all of those entrances with the stock nWo theme

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Man...
So we know WCW couldn't ultimately live with Hogan.
But could they have lived without Hogan?
Was Hogan the only guy who ever moved the needle?
Was WCW's ceiling just 'make money off of Hogan until we can't anymore and die?'

Is that why Bischoff never seemed to think forward in his decision making at all?
Because he knew whatever he did, WCW would die anyway?

WCW is probably dead in 94 or 95 without signing Hogan. The company lost over $20 million in 1993 and the Flair/Steamboat stuff in the early half of 1994 wasn't exactly filling the arenas or getting ratings plus both Rude and Steamboat were at the end of their careers due to their back injuries. Most accounts around the time say that Bischoff's idea to sign Hogan was essentially his last chance under Turner to turn WCW around or it was going to disappear. Hogan signing instantly turned the company around and they broke even in '94 and are believed to have made profits from '95 through '98 before it all fell apart.

Think of it from Bischoff's perspective. If you're in his position and it's basically 'spike ratings right now or the company dies,' what other option even gives you the chance considering the available talent pool?

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

ChrisBTY posted:

Well that's the problem isn't it?
WCW needed Hogan, but Hogan would become a toxic detriment that would prevent WCW from having a future.
So again I ask 'Was that it? Was that the ceiling? Made money off of Hogan until he kills the company"
(Yes I know Hogan was far from the singular force that ruined the company. But he did his damndest to make sure WCW didn't have a future)

I think of it more as a person with a terminal disease that signs up for an experimental treatment. It might not work and it might end up fixing the initial problem but killing you 5 years down the line in a completely different way - but what do you have to lose by giving it a shot?