Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I have a fun WCW story as told to me by Glacier. First some background:

During the last several months of WCW, there was an angle about Glacier making another return. They would show the classic "Blood Runs Cold" vignettes, only this time the commentators would be talking over them as if it was Mystery Science Theater. They'd talk about how lame Glacier was and how little impact his return would have.

BUT! This feeling wasn't unanimous. Backstage, we would see Norman Smiley excitedly watching the monitor. He's all happy about Glacier coming back and wonders if Glacier got his letters. Glacier eventually showed up in Norman's locker room and told him -- like some kind of superhero -- that he'd always be there to protect him.

What followed was a short, but hilarious angle. Smiley would have matches with guys like Bam Bam Bigelow and would bask in the knowledge that Glacier had his back. Glacier would walk out to the ring... and schmooze with the crowd. A confused Norman would get his rear end handed to him in the ring while Glacier high-fived fans and signed autographs. Finally, after Norman was pinned and the winner left up the ramp, Glacier would slide into the ring and pose like he's ready to fight. After getting over that he's too late, he'd pick up the microphone and tell Norman that he'll always be there for him.

This happened a couple times.

As Glacier explained to me, he was sitting at home, watching Thunder (or whatever show it was) and saw two other wrestlers backstage, beating on "Glacier", which was just a silhouette of another wrestler pretending to be Glacier. He thought it was hilariously stupid. After that, he was never mentioned on-air again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Moose Bigelow posted:

Especially when Louie Spicolli died.

I wasn't watching WCW during this time. What happened?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I think my favorite WCW angle was the whole thing about Disco Inferno trying to join the nWo. There was a real :unsmith: quality to it.

For weeks, Disco Inferno acts like he's going to be inducted to the nWo. He'd be interviewed backstage and act like Nash and Hall would be waving to him off-screen. He'd do matches to prove he was good enough, only to go up against guys like Bam Bam and lose. During the first Goldberg vs. Nash match, he tries to interfere on Nash's behalf, but gets Speared. Overall, it looked like he was nothing more than a loser who wasn't on their radar.

A couple weeks later, Disco wins a singles match and Scott Hall comes out with a mic. He says that he appreciates what Disco was trying to do and that he was trying to help out the Wolfpack. Rather than ignore his efforts, the Wolfpack look out for their friends. Hall and Disco walk off together to discuss his future with the nWo.

For a while, Disco works as Hall's sidekick, but the rest of the time he'd be wearing the black and red while hanging out with Stevie Ray's nWo B-Team.

Ah, Stevie Ray. Now HE was an awesome commentator.

The B-Team had a fantastic little angle where Ernest "The Cat" Miller came into the ring to pull off a generic promo about how great he is. Backstage, the B-Team (and Disco) are watching and decide to mess with him. One of them shouts out, "Yo, Scott! The Cat's in the ring and he's calling you out!"

Scott Norton rushes out with shaving cream all over his face, enraged. He watches the TV for a second, then rushes to the ring, where he absolutely flattens the Cat. A week later, the Cat does a promo about how much Norton sucks. Again, the nWo B-Team yell, "Scott! Cat's making fun of you again!" Rinse, repeat until Cat finally gets a win at the next PPV.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Thanks for these clips, but man, I could have sworn there was one segment where he came out from the back while in the midst of shaving. Maybe they did this a third time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Does anyone else remember the horrifically embarrassing WCW/MTV live call-in special they did one year? I can honestly say it's the biggest trainwreck of WCW's entire existence. Even with stuff like Arquette as champ, I've never felt as bad for the company as this show.

It was on a weekend where they were scheduled to do 3 hours of a tournament. From what I could tell, the tournament would be based on both actual matches and phone call votes. Because it was live and outside, there was a huge rain storm that made the ring completely unsafe. They got one tag match out of the way before putting the kibosh on any more. The three hour special was moved down to two hours.

Now, the whole vote thing wasn't just for the wrestlers themselves. It was for the wrestlers matched with a music video. So instead of voting for DDP based on him being a happening dude and a popular wrestler, you'd be voting for him because he represents that Van Halen video with the chick in the ice cave from back when the dude from Extreme was lead singer. Really, an hour and fifty minutes is dedicated to two wrestlers (or three if a tag team is involved) walking to the ring and saying "Yeah, vote for me and my Madonna video SUCKAAAAA!"

It ended with DDP vs. Raven (representing some Hole video) and a brawl between the two to at least give the live crowd something to go home with.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

People talk about the Fingerpoke of Doom and the reformation of the nWo to screw Goldberg over, but there's one segment from a week or so later that's also retarded and nobody ever remembers it.

The idea is that with Goldberg on a rampage, he's going to start picking off the nWo like he's Jason Voorhees. This involved, I poo poo you not, spearing Kevin Nash in the shower.

To expand on that idea, Nash hangs out with his nWo buddies backstage and they gloat. Then he decides he's going to go take a shower. He gets naked and walks into the shower and THE CAMERA FOLLOWS HIM! There's a mosaic over his waist and even the announcers are shocked to be seeing this. All so Goldberg can stalk him and lay him out.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Was that the same night that Goldberg decided he could break a window with his bare hand?

I really can't remember. WCW is just one big blur to me.

One thing that annoyed the hell out of me in WCW that wasn't really their fault was the Lodi/Lenny Lane angle. Lodi, at the time, was little more than a recurring jobber. Lenny Lane was just the guy known for looking like Chris Jericho. They put the two together as heels and gave them an Ambiguously Gay Duo gimmick. It got really over and fans seemed to really dig it. Lodi actually started winning matches! One could argue that they were one of the most over acts in WCW for a couple weeks.

Then GLAAD stepped in. They didn't like the "FAGGOTS!" chant that the team rarely got. They made a big stink about the gimmick and had WCW drop it. In a statement, one of the representatives discussed how a gay wrestler angle could work and be deemed acceptable by them. I can't remember their exact guidelines, but it was very apparent that they didn't know what they were talking about because Lodi/Lenny was exactly what they were asking for. But whatever, they got their way.

Lodi and Lenny were repackaged as Standards and Practices, which was embarrassing... but at least introduced us to Stacy Kiebler.

There ended up being a semblance of justice in all of this. Years later, we had the Billy Gunn/Chuck Palumbo tag team in WWE that was also based on the same "are they gay?" template. They started as heels and got over as faces. GLAAD publicly endorsed the same exact angle that years earlier they damned, especially when it was announced that Chuck and Billy were going to have a wedding of sorts. It ended up being a huge swerve (Billy and Chuck admit that they aren't gay, then get beat up by the 3 Minute Warning) that made GLAAD looked bad. Normally, I'd feel for them on this, but it's such a fitting turn of events.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of Vampiro, I seem to recall a plan to do a PPV on December 31, 1999 called New Year's Evil that would have featured the Demon dropping Vampiro and ICP into a pool of holy water, which would have turned them face.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

TenaciousJ posted:

Take that back. I loved Tank with 3 Count.

I think he's referring to Russo's idea to have Tank win the title.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Blinken posted:

Holy poo poo, were Crowbar and Kanyon two different people?

Not only that, but I'm pretty sure they had ANOTHER guy who looked just like Crowbar. The angle was that Crowbar was in love with Daffney and she had a new wrestler boyfriend who happened to look exactly like him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Golden Bee posted:

That'd be a great visual joke, but very odd at an angle length. It can only go "guy vs similar looking guy" from there.

Don't worry, it's WCW. That angle was dropped in weeks.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

A WCW moment I just remembered:

Juvi used to do commentary and it was completely awful. The guy was annoying and more than likely drunk. He would bury everyone who came out, making Tony Schiavone look like a million bucks in comparison. Then they're watching a match featuring the Boogie Knights (Disco Inferno and Alex Wright).

Juvi: These guys are the worst tag team I have ever seen.

Me, thinking out loud: Even worse than the Ding Dongs?

(five seconds pass)

Schiavone: Even worse than the Ding Dongs?

Tony Schiavone was reading my mind. I had a hard time sleeping that night.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Perry, you're one of the good ones.

Right now I'm starting work on the Summerslam Countdown articles for August. After that, though, I was thinking about doing a Starrcade Countdown for November (the 10 year anniversary of WCW's final death). Since I was late on following WCW and my knowledge on it is relatively lacking, I was wondering if there's anyone out there who'd be interested in co-writing it. Multiple contributors or whatever, it's still good.

I ask now because it would involve watching all 18 shows and that can take some time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I always loved when Bischoff introduced the concept of the Elimination Chamber. He was explaining it as a cross between "the Royal Rumble, Survivor Series and my favorite... War Games." When he said it, he had the perfect poo poo-eating grin.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This is true. Still, he seemed so overjoyed to be namedropping War Games on WWE TV.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I like the way you're thinking. I figure they should put a bunch of rings together and make it look like a Q*Bert level layout.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rereading Death of WCW, I got to the part where Vince Russo admits that during his first run he wanted to rehired Warrior in order to do a Goldberg vs. Warrior program. The writer(s) then makes fun of Russo for suggesting that anyone would want to see such an angle.

Now, the idea of a competently done feud between Goldberg and Warrior could be pretty good if done right. But a Goldberg vs. Warrior feud as written by Vince Russo? Holy poo poo. That would have been must-see TV right there. Somebody get me one of those Sliders alternate reality device thingies. I need to see a world where this happened.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Skinty McEdger posted:

Nitro got cut down to 2 hours from the first show of 2000 due to the best efforts of Vince Russo. Russo felt that by cutting down to 2 hours (and thus only having one go up against raw) the average rating would go up thus making it appear that the show was on an upswing. What he didn't take into consideration was that by removing a whole hour of tv, they lost out on an hours worth of advertising.

And even then, the ratings were in the shitter.

I noticed when rereading Death of WCW that one thing nobody ever talks about, including that book and this thread, is Eric Bischoff's complete hatred for tag team wrestling. People rail on WWE for how it treats its tag teams and they're right, but you can still say that Vince is downplaying tag team wrestling. It's to an insane degree, but it's still downplayed. Bischoff completely killed it. No champions or anything. He simply killed the division. He openly admitted in interviews that he thought tag team wrestling was lame and didn't want it to come back at all.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DangerDummy! posted:

I know Malenko ends up screwing him over at some point so that Jericho finally ends up dropping the belt for good against Juventud, but I also seem to recall there being some other "Last Chance Match" that had Malenko losing through some kind of confusion in booking, like ring outs were a loss and Malenko didn't know it, or something stupid like that. Am I nuts or did this really happen?

That ring-out thing was from long after the Jericho feud. It was Malenko's last match with the company during a PPV where they had to move around all the matches due to mass injuries. It was a Catch as Catch Can Match against Kidman that he lost.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

bobkatt013 posted:

Kids are the best wrestling fans

At work, whenever a kid is buying a WWE book or magazine, I always ask who his favorite is and when they say whichever top face, I always respond with this shocked, "Don't you mean the MIZ is your favorite? Don't you mean WADE BARRETT is your favorite?" And so on.

Lately I've taken to referring to the kids as Little Jimmy, which everyone seems to enjoy. Especially the parents.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Yeah, I don't do it in a serious way to get them angry. I act genuinely shocked and hammy about it to play along.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

El Patron posted:

Taz and Booker are probably two of the worst colour guys out there today but at least you can get a laugh with Booker, Taz is just terrible.

Booker T as commentator is like a cross between brain-damaged commentator/former boxer Floyd Wetherton from Family Guy and Chester Cheetah. And that's why I love him.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The answer is for TNA to hire Rene Dupree and allow at least one French Tickler spot per show. That'll get Tazz excited again.

Tazz loving loved seeing Dupree do that stupid dance.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Anyone else unlock Wrath through Gameshark? He wore Sting's tights and his finisher didn't have any sound effect, but if you used him with Gameshark and won a title with him, he permanently became part of the game.

triplexpac posted:

This is a shared experience by anyone growing up playing these games, I guess. I can't remember all the names we made up, but a lot of them are offensive looking back on it :ohdear:

I may have mentioned this before, but the only name change me and my friend ever did was inexplicably turn Dr. Frank into "Burt Lancaster". I'm not sure why we did it or what it even meant, but to us it was hilarious.

I recall also changing Nash's clothes to Sting's and pretending he was the Undertaker.

One fun memory of that game is about 3 years after it came out, me and my friend were going through the entire roster and reflecting on what's become of each wrestler, one-by-one. Then we reached the fictional characters based on Japanese wrestlers and decided to start making things up.

"AKI Man? Got arrested for beastiality."

"I remember that!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Mike Tenay is so pleased at that line.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Deadpool posted:

Let's slapjack some fruit booties!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byeiOBmtqxo

I remember watching this with a friend and we got so excited about this promo.

"HE JUST CALLED DDP A FRUIT BOOTY!"

"OH MY GOD! THIS IS AMAZING!"

"...HE SAID IT AGAIN!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Red posted:

Jeff Jarrett (for *NOT* holding up the WWF to job to Chyna)

He did hold up the WWF to job to Chyna. That's where the bad blood comes from.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I posted:

Has Hogan ever starred in a movie which didn't suck massively?

Suburban Commando. I will stand by that.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Luigi Thirty posted:

Glacier was supposed to be Rob Van Dam. He turned them down to stay at ECW.

I want fanart of what this would look like and I want it now.

bobkatt013 posted:

You mean The holiday classic Jingle all the Way?

He means ZEE HEET HOLEEDAY FEELM JINGLE ALL ZA VAY!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I've finished reading the revised Death of WCW. Still a fun read, though it's been long enough since I've read the original that I can't really pinpoint where most of the changes came outside of the TNA epilogue and "Lessons Not Learned." The thing definitely needed some editing, though, considering how redundant it gets.

For instance, on page 198, bringing up Stevie Ray apropos of nothing:

quote:

His promos were, well, interesting. He once identified Barbarian and Meng as "two fish-eating chumps from Gilligan's Island." Later, he would call Scott Steiner both "synthetic" (seemingly an accusation of steroid use) and a "sad, sack-rear end fruit booty" (seemingly an accusation of... you know, we've had 10 years to figure that out, and we're still stumped).

Then on page 349:

quote:

Main event was Steiner beating Booker's brother Stevie Ray in a WCW title versus career match, so Stevie had to retire forever afterwards. Earlier in the show, Stevie hyped up the match by not only calling Steiner "synthetic" (seemingly an accusation of steroid use), but also a "sad, sack-rear end fruit booty" and a "sad-sack cracker jack" (seemingly accusations of, well, we have no idea).

I could have sworn the original talked about the new WCW logo and the infamous newspaper ad, but there's zero mention of the logo whatsoever here. I did recognize one fun story as new to me, where Mikey Whipreck, in getting ready for his debut match against Kidman at a PPV, was told four different match endings from four different backstage people. He also suggested that the junkyard hardcore invitational match be taped for the PPV, considering there were no fans around and it would genuinely look cool if edited. They decided to just do it live instead.

Also, I get that doing that Goldust/Goldberg backstage skit with the wig wasn't the best idea, but Reynolds needs to get over it because that is literally all he has to talk about when discussing Goldberg's WWE run. There's no mention of Triple H's politics or waiting too long to pull the trigger on the title win or having him compete in competitive matches or anything. Just three mentions of how that wig scene ruined him forever.

He makes a big deal about how Hogan tried to take credit for the sold out Nitro where he dropped the title to Goldberg despite it already being sold out ahead of time, yet is completely silent later when using a Goldberg quote where he also takes credit for that sell-out.

As fun as the TNA section is to read as an abridged version of LOLTNA, one part got a huge shrug from me. There's a massive paragraph making fun of the Doomsday Chamber of Blood Match (which I had never heard of before this despite all the "haha, TNA sucks" discussions) and how overly complicated the whole thing is, culminating in the "It's really quite simple," punchline we know and love from genuinely complicated matches. But... it's just a match where you can only pin your opponent if he's busted open. And there's a cage. That's pretty straightforward. Am I missing something?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Rodney the Piper posted:

Hey, The Guardian Angel was almost a cop!

Speaking of him, since the Network has every Clash of the Champions, someone needs to upload the most amazing promo onto YouTube. It's after Sting vs. Avalanche with the Guardian Angel as the guest referee. After the match, where Guardian Angel turns heel, he rambles on in the best way possible.

"Thatthererefereewasn'tevensupposedtobeintheRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING!"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

This does remind me of an amusing anecdote from back in the day when Goldberg was a guest on the Dennis Miller Show. He said that he was wrestling Flair and he picked him up for the Jackhammer. While holding him up, Flair whispered into his ear, "Two things you need to remember right now. I love you... and I am 50-years-old."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

1st AD posted:

They could've done a spot where Goldberg misses a spear and dives right into a corner post and injures it for the rest of the match, voila now Goldberg won't do any moves that injure Flair.

Make the finish be Goldberg tapping out Flair with a figure four.

No, it's all good.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DeathChicken posted:

He was in the WCW Thunder videogame, as the guy who yelled "REEEEEEEEESE!" as his only voiced line

Back when Revenge was out, me and my friend played it religiously and it was what drew us into watching WCW to begin with. By the time we were playing the game, the actual Flock was broken up and Reese was phased out, so we knew pretty much nothing about him. I still played as him because there was a fun novelty to the mysterious, mohawked grunge giant.

One day, we're watching some MTV show that was a documentary about the ordinary day for a VJ. There's a part where a tired Jesse Camp or Carson Daly was picking up fan mail and mentioned, "Tyrese gets all the mail." My friend immediately perked up and went, "Reese gets all the mail?!"

From that day on, we'd constantly bring that up while playing Revenge. Reese was tall, knew Raven and was constantly overwhelmed with post office deliveries. That's all we knew. And it was enough.

That is my Reese story.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I've been reading the Nitro book and while I'm almost done (I'm up to Hogan leaving for good), I have to talk about the hilarious Kronik mace incident, which is new to me.

The Kronik guys are meant to be taken down by some security guards and rather than get local wrestling talent, they just hired actors. The actors were given instructions to club them down and mace them, except they had to mace them in the chin so as not to hit them in the eyes.

One guy went, "You're using real mace?! Why don't you just put water in there instead?"

"Because we're paying you to mace them, not to spray them with water!"

And of course Clark and Adams were angrily warning them that they would find them and kick their asses if they got them in the eyes. The whole segment ended up being pure chaos.

WCW, everybody.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Tell that to the untrained guy one of them flung out of the ring.

Gavok fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Sep 17, 2019

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Dusty, is that you?

Yeah, I don't know what happened there.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

That would probably explain why the two were screaming bloody murder during the segment.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

ita not really a good book and it's pretty clear that Bischoff is trying to whitewash his role

Bischoff is always trying to whitewash his role. Everyone interviewed in the book tries to act like they're in the right. It just becomes a big pile of he said/they said and you get an idea not to take Bischoff on his word every time.

"Eric gave everyone so much money."
"Bischoff was always overspending."
"Bischoff was handing out money left and right."
"If you wanted more money, he'd gladly give it to you."
"WHAT? NO! I did no such thing!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Finished the Nitro book. It's a good alternative/companion piece to Death of WCW. Death of WCW's more about taking breaks from the story to point out how stupid things were because it was co-written by the Wrestlecrap guy. Nitro keeps more with the big picture, like barely even mentioning Ultimate Warrior because he really didn't matter outside of being memorable for the wrong reasons. Also, while Death of WCW is about the entirety of WCW's span, this one just focuses on Nitro and the Monday Night War, not even going into the Alliance storyline outside of one or two paragraphs. There's also way more emphasis on the whole attempt to sell WCW, including a subplot about Lenita Erickson being a player in that whole situation who, in the narrative of the book, may have cost Bischoff the ability to buy the company.

I do find it funny in retrospect how the two parties who felt they could have saved WCW -- Jerry Jarrett and Eric Bischoff -- both showed us what they were made of with TNA after the fact.

The book sort of treats Bischoff like the flawed protagonist of WCW's story, which I guess is fair. The author interviewed him for two days, so there's a lot of him trying to defend himself over every little thing. Probably the strangest part of the book is when Bischoff gets sent home for the first time because suddenly it becomes pages and pages of various people eulogizing him like it's the end of Hamilton. They do the same thing with Russo after he leaves for good. Anyway, Bischoff is basically depicted as both a toxic choice to lead WCW, but unfortunately the best option they had.

Russo, like various other players, is given a biographical introduction when he shows up and the author does a good job making him extremely sympathetic when he leaves WWF (Vince McMahon kicking him out the door, then acting all betrayed is the most evergreen poo poo), only to portray him as being such a piece of poo poo. Even Death of WCW empathized with him for having to quit due to concussions while in this book Russo's all, "That was bullshit! I knew the ship was sinking! Haha, gently caress everyone else!"

Outside of the Fingerpoke of Doom situation, Hogan almost comes off as wise by default. They play up his creative control, but they mainly focus on it when he makes actually right decisions, like telling Russo his ideas are bad.

According to the book, Ted Turner is the coolest dude ever.

Weirdly, Kevin Sullivan comes across as this straight man amidst all the crazy going on and is treated as sane, smart and competent while never really going into why everyone loving hated him (Benoit excluded).

The best thing about the book is the chapter on Master P. While there's a lot to make fun of there, it instead tells the story from the perspective of Swoll, who helped put the deal together. You get this strangely poignant side-story about a lovely wrestler who Kevin Nash'd his way into a sweet contract, lost his friendship with Master P due to ego and escaped wrestling ASAP with all that money because he saw what the industry does to people.