Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Psychlone posted:

WWE Vintage had some nice Battlebowl 1992 tag matches today. Battlebowl was where you had random tag teams, the winners moving on into a battle royal at the end of the card. So far I've watched:

- Van Hammer and Dan Spivey vs. Johnny B. Badd and Cactus Jack
- Big Van Vader and Dustin Rhodes vs. Kensuke Sasaki and the Barbarian
- Barry Windham and the Great Muta vs. Brian Pillman and 2 Cold Scorpio
- Sting and Steve Williams vs. Jushin Liger and Erik Watts

All pretty entertaining matches. The WWE should bring this concept back.

TNA is actually doing one of these now, though I'm not sure if it's going to end in a battle royal or just a title shot for the winning team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Maybe it's an old saying I don't know, but what does "I can't hear you from down here" mean?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

maniacripper posted:

Heenan is calling him out. He felt like he was being talked down to, or that Shavonie was on a high horse.

That's what I kind of figured but didn't want to assume I knew what he meant.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A friend of mine actually met this "Reinforcer" guy before at a convention. Everyone was apparently in line to meet some actual star, and my friend felt bad that no one was in line to meet this guy. Went and got a picture and an autograph and I guess he was a relatively nice guy.

I'm assuming he worked dark matches for WCW and probably Nashville-era TNA or something, so he can tuck the "worked for WCW and TNA" thing under his cap. That's just me giving him the benefit of the doubt, though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Require More Fire posted:

So if he's the "reinforcer", does that mean he specializes in run-ins?

He's the guy who comes around when Mark Henry rips a door or wall off of a steel cage.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Memento1979 posted:

This has always been a McMahon Ego™ thing to me - Vince going "NO! Don't ever put the good WCW matches out, I want everyone to think that they were always just a bunch of comedy shitcarters! WCW was never good! WCW was never good!" *violently rocks back and forth*

I am truly interested in how the company will handle this stuff once Vince retires/dies. Triple H obviously loves all wrestling and if he's in charge, I can see him bringing back War Games almost immediately. I know Stephanie will probably assume a lot of control, but if Triple H is very high up and allowed to be in charge of some of this stuff, I can see the DVDs and general acknowledgement of history getting much, much better.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

I remember Sting appearing in the rafters or in a promo or some poo poo in the Spring of 1999, wearing his black and white makeup. Tony Shavonie wondered out loud if this meant that Sting had joined the nWo Black and White.

Just tuned in and this just happened. It was Zbyszko who wondered if it meant he wasn't with the Wolfpac anymore, and Schiavone just kinda goes, "Well, really it doesn't mean anything."

Nice.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Meng vs Hugh Morrus and The Barbarian right now. And still, I somehow care about this than most of the mid-card matches we get on RAW each week.

WCW must have been doing something right.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Finally, the match we've always wanted... Hogan versus Beefcake in 1999.

Edit: "And Ric Flair said so, and THAT's the final word!" Nice attempt to cash in on some Stone Cold catch phrasery.

Double Edit: OH GOD KAZ IN GLACIER'S GEAR

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Slamboree 1999 starting now. Opening match - Benoit & Malenko vs Kidman & Mysterio vs Raven & Saturn.

I have high hopes for this one.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Curt Hennig just cut a promo on Goldberg and either the video kept glitching or they were beeping out Goldberg's name every time Curt said it. Was it because he was saying "Bill Goldberg" instead of just "Goldberg"? Or am I imagining things?

Oh, he also called him a skinhead.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

On the other hand, has the "Ric Flair gets sent to the insane asylum where Scott Hall makes a cameo appearance" storyline happened yet on that feed's schedule?

IT'S NITRO TIME BOYS! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-IeCcCq58U

Yeah, this already happened. I kind of remember seeing it happen way back when, but I don't think I really remembered how long the stupid thing lasted. It was a good few weeks of sketches from that place, though we did get WOOOO VP Lil Naitch running the show, which was actually pretty entertaining.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think it was a video someone posted in the Youtube thread, but it was this Flair promo from way back when in WCW to build up a match with (I think) Ronnie Garvin. I may be wrong on the opponent. Either way, he goes into this weird part of the tirade where he tells the dude that, just like so many women, HE'S gonna ride Space Mountain before Flair rolls over (and the fun is done) and kicks him out of bed or something.

It was really strange. Building up a match by telling the dude you're gonna gently caress him and then kick him out. Whatever works, I guess.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Youtube content filtering can detect that loving logo on the canvas.

I guess that's why some people flip the video? I guess mirroring the image helps to get past that filtering.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Jelq the Sanem posted:

How else will I know what Jeff Jarrett's shirt says? I CAN'T READ BACKWARDS

STUN PALS

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

VogeGandire posted:

Yeah, I'm the same way with WarGames. I know it's a loving terrible concept for a match, but I'd watch every one if they started making them again.

War Games rules. Bite your tongue.

Triple H apparently loves that match, too, so maybe we'll get it back when he's in charge. Hopefully with two rings, too. I'd give anything to see Survivor Series return to all-elimination matches with a War Games main event.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Oatgan posted:

Elimination Chamber is already his ode to War Games

Now how can that be? That was an Eric Bischoff innovation!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

A Dapper Man posted:

Did WCW seriously do a rip-off of Abe "Knuckleball" Schwartz? I wouldn't even think twice about it, but it's the facepaint and the MVP on his shirt that cements that.

I don't think it was really a ripoff. Torberg played The Kiss Demon in WCW but was also an actual baseball player (I don't know at what level). I guess when The Demon ran its course, they combined the face paint of The Demon with the baseballiness of baseball and just had him use his real name. I remember him using his real name, but I don't remember his crappy face paint.

^ MVP and Knuckleball were the same guy (Steve Lombardi/Brooklyn Brawler), but MVP only appeared a few times and then disappeared. Knuckleball showed up about a year later.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Scirocco Griffon posted:

I can distinctly remember Goldberg's WCW theme being used a lot in World War II shows on the History Channel, when they actually showed history stuff that is. It usually undercut footage of German tanks rolling through the countryside and never failed to get my attention once it started playing.

Kinda makes me wonder why they bothered to write him a new sound-alike theme when he debuted in WWE, unless that particular stock music library was out of print by then or something.

They probably just wanted something a little more distinct. Even though they still use Booker's theme, they tacked on the "Can you dig it?!" thing at the beginning so they could sort of make it their own.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

When I was a kid, I ran up my parents' phone bill calling the WWF hotline and trying to win the trivia contests. I wasn't trying to get any scoops, I just wanted fabulous prizes :(

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Whoops, wrong thread. Thought this was the WCW thread, not the legal term information station.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I liked 3 Count way more than anybody probably should have. I don't know why, but I have a fondness in my heart for silly gimmicks in that vain; I also really liked the Spirit Squad in WWE. I guess maybe because it's a little unconventional, really silly and just lets you have fun.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Yeah, add me to the list of people who loved WCW Spring Break. I loved the ring on the pool. It was so weird and different and really stood out.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

What a poo poo match. I love how Luger runs in (giving incredibly soft looking offense) and fucks up the spot where he is going to hit Macho Man with....a glove? Anyways, he rears back to hit Macho Man and then completely stops when Savage gets away from Flair...and then decks Flair anyway!

I read "Luger" as "Liger" at first and got totally confused about the Liger/Macho Man feud I had somehow missed.

Then I read it again and got real disappointed.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Helllloooo, something to watch on my lunch break. Thanks!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Chromatic posted:

I loved some of the Raven's flock videos. It's a shame promotions don't try stuff like this anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei_DAZexqDw

Ugh, this was one of my favorite WCW moments as a teenager. I was a Raven fanboy since ECW so seeing him on a bigger stage as the same character doing the same kind of thing was incredible for me; then, seeing him pop up on loving MTV and DDT DDP (so many acronyms) through a coffee table blew my mind.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Judeccahedron posted:

The one thing I thought was strange about Hogan's promo when he turned was that he was talking about how these guys were from an organization up north, and that he knew more about that organization than anyone else. Hadn't they basically gone out of their way to say that it was emphatically not a legitimate cross-promotional thing/invasion, because of some legal issues?

They had to come out and say flatly that Hall and Nash didn't work for "that company up north" anymore, but it was still like an invasion/take over thing especially once they revealed Hogan as the third guy.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Whoa, I never put two and two together that The Dog = Big Al.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Red posted:

Didn't TNA once have Jeff Jarrett bring out a ton of "Stings" to fight Sting? Like, Sting had to go through blonde surfer sting, dark mop-haired Sting, Crow Sting, etc., before fighting JJ himself? I remember seeing part of a clip or something, and thought it was clever and retarded at the same time.

Mr. Kennedy Anderson did something different, where he dressed up like surfer Sting to portray him in an interview, which was a neat idea, until Ken ran with the thing for like 15 minutes, dragging it out beyond its initial entertainment value. He looks like a good Sting, though.

They did do this in TNA as well, though I can't recall if they actually fought Sting. I just remember Anderson in the old Surfer Sting garb (maybe Eric Young was involved, too?) to poke fun at Sting.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

What actually happened that was worse than The Giant beating up all of the Horsemen by himself?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

triplexpac posted:

I'm really wracking my brain here, what about WWF's production in 1998 made it far superior to WCW?

Like, here's Raw's entrance from 1998:

And here's WCW Nitro from 1998:

Sorry I couldn't find a good 1998 shot, but really the set was just a big screen with two "Raw is War" signs on either side.

If WCW TV looked as good as that photograph, it'd be no contest. They both looked the same quality-wise, but WWE's production values were always way, way, way better. Better mic'ing, better camera work, just an entirely smoother product.

It's always felt, to me, that WWE's crew were all working together while WCW's crew just showed up to do their one singular job and weren't a cohesive unit at all.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

triplexpac posted:

I posted this a couple pages back, so considering we both remember it we must not be crazy

I remember it as well, so that makes three. Strength in numbers!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Perfidus posted:

Wait. Hulk got hair plugs or something back then?

I think he was in a 3 Ninjas movie and his character had that haircut, so he started wearing it on TV too. It might be the wrong movie, but I know it was SOME dumb bullshit like that.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

bartok posted:

Do you think Hogan would have been accepted in WCW by the fans if he changed his in-ring style like he does when he would wrestle in Japan? I'm not saying Hogan was a secret technical master but he seemed way more talented than his WWF and WCW runs would lead you to believe.

I don't think so, because he was still going over all of the big name WCW talent as soon as he got there. I think that's what people hated the most. His technical skills wouldn't have mattered, I don't think, because he was still the same bland character ruining everybody who was already established as a top star.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

He said, a Sid Vicious figure that comes with SCISSORS!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Is this only for bad WCW stuff? Because I stumbled onto some Twitch stream playing endless Nitros and PPVs back to back and it's been pretty fun. Just started Starrcade 98 and gently caress, the first matches were Kidman/Rey/Juvi for the Cruiserweight Title followed immediately by Kidman/Eddie. About 25 minutes in total. It loving ruled.

Seeing this old Kidman stuff makes it make sense that they would try to make him a big name with a feud against Hogan but, of course, they botched it. He was fun to watch and the crowd was really into him. Terrible shooting star press, though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MassRafTer posted:

This is the WCW thread for all things good and bad although you might want to turn that show off after those two matches.

Yeah, the rest has been pretty bad and I remember what's coming in the main event. But, it's nice background noise either way while lounging around or playing Stardew Valley.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

IronCladBurrito posted:

When did that end? They had to continue until close to the end, yes?

And why? Did they really trick themselves into thinking he brought a certain level of prestige that they still needed until they were dead in the dirt? Or was there some inescapable contract that they couldn't get out of? I would understand bringing him in to do like, Starrcade once a year or even the main even of a bigger Nitro like the Georgia Dome one but it was wild to me how often he was there with how much he cost.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

oldpainless posted:

Shaking my head at no buff bagwell michael buffer tag team

Buff The Stuff and Buffer The Stuffer just writes itself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

If anyone can, it's probably this guy: https://twitter.com/silvamore

He pulls a lot of weird old vintage stuff out of the depths. His prices on new and old stuff can be kind of crazy at times, but if your dream is a Big Poppa Pump x Taz shirt you're probably willing to pay for it.