Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

jesus WEP posted:

Good stiff is hitting exactly as hard as you yourself would accept being hit, in safe places.

Bad stiff is just hitting as hard as you can, getting mad if you get hit that hard yourself, or throwing people around without due care for how safely they land

"Safe places" is for sure the key here. I remember Regal saying years and years ago that you should "hit hard in safe places" and it's always stuck with me, especially after training for a while last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Watching more old WCW on Twitch and this channel is currently on 1998. I was pretty surprised to see them still trying to use Jerry Flynn but I kind of love that they kept using this big weirdo if for no other reason than this moment:

https://twitter.com/Maffewgregg/status/748547190910517249?s=20

Also, has anyone mentioned what the problem was with the ramp when they switched to the new set/logo in 98? It didn't look any more steep than any other ramp but everyone walked down it so gingerly and Flair almost busted his rear end then complained into the camera about it during his entrance.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DJExile posted:

Yeah they put a solid sheet metal logo on it and everybody kept slipping.

Ah, gotcha. For some reason I assumed that was... I don't know. Something more sensible like a massive decal or something that wouldn't add smooth slipperiness to a grated surface. This wonderful company, they truly couldn't do anything right (except for this Eddie/Rey vs Chris Adams/Dave Taylor match I'm watching right now).

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Suplex Liberace posted:

Please link the nitro stream

https://twitch.tv/legendxkiller

They don't stream all the time and yesterday they just stopped in the middle of a Nitro and started playing video games for the rest of the stream so hopefully it kicks back up again soon.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It really does go downhill quickly. They at least still have an amazing cruiserweight roster and The Radicalz haven't left yet in the episodes I've been watching so there is still a LOT of good wrestling to see. But, it's basically only available in the first 90 minutes of Nitro and the first match of each PPV.

The first Hogan era pre-nWo was at least fun for how absurd it all was even if it was just Hogan And Pals, but I don't think I realized how brief the window of time was where WCW was just really loving good between those two periods.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Better Than You posted:

The one thing that bugged me about WCW at its peak was when a great cruiserweight match was going on during Nitro, the announcers would spend over half of the match talking about the nWo rather than calling the match itself.

This is definitely an annoying problem, but I've been surprised at how many times Bobby Heenan has called guys like Rey, Juventud, Eddie, Kanyon, and others who just do cool poo poo and are entertaining the future of the business. It's not something that stuck out to me at the time, but hearing an old-timer like Heenan heap so much praise on these guys when he obviously didn't have to and wasn't being fed lines the way they were/are in WWF/WWE warmed my heart a little bit.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

I am in absolute awe of these 00's Nitros. Did anyone really think The Harris Nazis running in on every match after SuperBrawl was gonna get anything but apathy? Jeff Jarrett and the Haris brothers, guys you can really build a company around.

I turned the stream on last night to see what was on and immediately turned it off when they were promoting the main event coming up next - Jarrett and The Wall vs Sid and Vampiro.

Just abysmal.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

DJExile posted:

By the end of 99, basically everyone in WCW knew they were done, so from there out it's very much a ton of going-through-the-motions matches and shows that aren't even in that "entertainingly bad" category.

That last part is the real kicker and sad part for me as this era of shows is streamed. They aren't even so bad that they're fun to watch. They're just bad and make you feel bad.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

It still baffles me how they just let Juvi steal The Rock's entire cache of catch phrases so shamelessly. I mean, obviously the company had no shame especially at that point but still. Nothing could have felt more amateur hour than using someone else's shtick while that person was still active.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Juvi only did the Rock bit for like two weeks, so I doubt it.

Seriously? It felt like he did it forever when it was happening.

Tangential related to this stream - does anyone know of any streams that just run old NWA shows from the 80s? Or even just any other consistent streams like this? It's such a nice way to just put something on that you don't have to think too much about.

Sorry if this request is :filez: but I assume it's not since we've been talking about this WCW stream already.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Davros1 posted:

Youtube.

Yeah, I'm sure I could find a bunch there. The Twitch appeal to me is being able to just turn on a stream without searching for anything specific or really having to think about it.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

MrBling posted:

I made some playlists on my youtube channel, that should keep you busy for a couple of days at least https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT205hrrP-OuPGHmIzOEYNA/playlists

You're the best. Thanks!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

ChrisBTY posted:

I remember there was something about The Giant's chokeslam that was awful to take. It was either because of the jump or because his knees hit the mat before his opponent's back did. Basically the impact would cause the mat to buckle, a quarter second later his opponent would hit the mat as the mat was 'coming back up' from buckling, removing all the give from the mat.

Yeah, not hitting the mat the same time as your counterpart sucks. You get the whiplash of the mat hitting you on the way back up and depending on the ring you can get pinched by boards moving around. Timing is key!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

excellent bird guy posted:

What is the general consensus regarding Larry Zbyszko? I think he's boring. Wow he wears wacky zany shirts, so what. Larry + Tony are not a good commentary team.

He'd have a good line here or there but mostly just sounded bored or annoyed and like he hated everybody. I don't know. He just sounded like a grandpa forced to watch wrestling with his grandkid, but drat it, it's not wrestling like it used to be!

NikkolasKing posted:

Do you all agree with Bryan and friends that people like Malenko and Kidman, no matter how talented or over they were, just weren't cut out to be main eventers? That even great wrestlers can have a place that is lower on the card?

I think there was a certain era where WCW could have made anyone a main eventer and was open to experimenting with that. DDP was not a main event home run on the surface, but he grew organically and we got that big main event run. With how over Raven was for a time, I think he could have had at least one World Title reign which could have led to a feud with Kidman. Kidman was incredibly over as Cruiserweight Champion and always had really great matches with other great cruiserweights (lovely SSP not withstanding). I think Kidman being so successful post-Flock could have led to challenging a World Champ Raven even if it didn't amount to him winning the title or hanging around the main event scene for long afterward.

Malenko probably could have had a short main event run, too. He was great in the ring and the overall WCW fan base really responded to great wrestlers differently than the overall WWF fan base ever did. Plus, he had the immediate Horsemen attachment so he could have easily been slotted into any spot in the card thanks to that association. I don't think he would have been on top for years, but they could have done far worse than a string of PPVs with Malenko in the main event.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

David was best doing the unhinged trio thing with Daffney and Crowbar. Everything else was just not good.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Every wrestler from the 70s and 80s was 40 until 2015 or so, then they all rapidly aged.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

Does Sid have a different theme on the Network for some reason?

Bryan and crew keep complaining about how his song doesn't fit him and I'm like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDkz4tD8-PQ

This fits him perfectly. It's slow and imposing and menacing.

He does and it's loving heinous.

https://youtu.be/nu6Q5dHLWDM

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The stream had looped back around to 1992 and all is good again.

https://www.twitch.tv/ericisdrunk

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

who was the old guy with bleached hair who had some wwe matches in the early 2000s? i don't remember his name but if someone else does maybe it's the same guy because he fit that description. i guess gavok would probably know who that guy is though. i'm sorry

I feel like I can picture this person in my head but I can't think of their name and it makes me MAD

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Cavauro posted:

he looked like a slightly less cartoony scott steiner but with an even older man face. i don't know. maybe it was ric flair

nevermind, it was just ron waterman, and i didn't remember him as well as i thought. i don't think he was in wcw or that he would have looked that old in the 90s

Ah yeah, H2O Ron Waterman was who I was thinking of as well.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I was at that Rumble live and even as a 9 year-old kid I knew Hogan was being a giant crybaby and booed him for pulling Sid out.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Fargin Icehole posted:

Didn't Bret end up "joining nWo" and cutting lovely promos, sometime around WCWs decline? I think this was after he got kicked in the head by goldberg?

You can replace "Bret" with almost anyone, but yes – I think he was in nWo 2000 with Jarrett?

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

NikkolasKing posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1xUeJnsQZY

I used to watch MADTV all the time when I was a kid and i remember seeing this when it aired.

But judging from Bryan's explanation on the retro shows, either Mad TV wasn't that well-known even then or it's just been forgotten. Does any of you know which it is? Did you watch it back then?

Also this must be the third most notable thing Bret did while with WCW.

MADtv was exciting at first because it was another sketch comedy show and that poo poo was always my thing as a kid and I loved MAD Magazine.

I feel like it started off strong and had a few recurring characters that were fun to a teenager then but probably don't hold up well, and it really just became an afterthought. I can't tell you how many times over the years I was caught by surprise that MADtv was still actually on the air.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

wcw.avi

https://twitter.com/ThatsOurMongo/status/1319009419481522176

I love how he just loving stares at it without moving even a hair out of the way.

edit: lol I also love watching the entire front row try to dodge out of the way of the splatter. Perfect.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I don't know if it's like this everywhere but at my school the refs trained the same as the wrestlers.

Also, a lot of people seem to show up in not great shape and then get better. In fact, the people who showed up ripped and super athletic bailed on classes way sooner than anyone else I saw.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Sandman McMahon posted:

As a young kid growing up in Calgary who hadn’t quite discovered wrestling yet, I remember this episode getting a ton of local promotion. The whole time I was confused, who the gently caress was this Brett Heart guy and why the gently caress did anyone care? I was/still am a dumb kid.

As a young kid growing up in central New York, I'd always turn to Lonesome Dove when I saw it on the preview channel hoping I'd see Bret and I never did. I wish we could have traded Lonesome Dove experiences.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

I have friends that aren't super into wrestling and show them clips of Sid and he leaves an impression.

We still use, "I don't know poo poo, crybaby!" as a reference to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxCDDlSw9-A&t=158s

That's over of my all time favorite Sid lines (and one I also reference regularly in real life) made better by this being one of my all time favorite RAW moments with Bret losing his poo poo.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Disco is a great guess. Rewatching some old shoes and he is everywhere. Every TV, every PPV, sometimes multiple times.

I'd maybe say Kidman is another possibility. He was there right up until the end, a fixture in the CW division, and always retooled into different gimmicks and stories.

Plus if we're going minute by minute, he probably had consistently longer matches than Disco.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Hedgehog Pie posted:

He's a boy, and they're men. And they just love to play with little boys.

It works out fine because Rey also likes to beat his kids

https://twitter.com/reymysterio/status/263061905764151296

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

disaster pastor posted:

Rude was friendly enough with Bret that he wasn't just pissed that it happened, he was genuinely pissed that it happened to Bret. Which is why he not only left ASAP, he looked for a way to do so that he thought would hurt the WWF: waiting a week to go, so that he could appear on a taped Raw with his beard and then shave it off for the live Nitro. I think he was one of the people Bischoff called the night of Survivor Series to be like, "hey, was that legit?" and Rude's response was along the lines of "yeah, it was, and by the way, are you hiring?"

This rules. Rude has always been a favorite of mine and it sucks that he didn't become more of a major name. Knowing that him showing up on both shows was his own shot at WWE due to Montreal makes it even better. It shows a kind of foresight and planning that I don't think a lot of other wrestlers would have.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

stab posted:

Wasnt he also in ECW like a month before or something nuts?

I think he was on Hardcore TV in basically the same week, but that one's a little less crazy because ECW would run stuff on TV from a show over several weeks. I believe he was still doing some ECW stuff while in WWF, though.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Tato posted:

Piper holding tryouts for his team of loving losers is one of my favorite bad Nitro segments of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ro60nB6TzRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZOKYLcwtEM

God, it's even worse than I remembered. I have almost zero fond memories of Piper in WCW.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Isn't it considered bad form to bring up that someone never beat you for guys from Hogan and Piper's era?

It's kind of interesting, because did Piper ever actually beat Hogan through the 80s or say that he did explicitly? I feel like anything with those two always ended in some kind of bullshit, so it's kind of funny to say Hogan never beat Piper when Piper also never beat Hogan.

I think it makes more sense for a heel to use that line because it builds to the babyface (hopefully) eventually beating them, but Piper gonna Piper.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

I think the alcoholism storyline is way grosser. Maybe it's just wrestling breaking my brain and making a gross thing seem normal, but someone faking an injury after a big comeback from the same injury is standard wrestling stuff.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Shane Douglas shaking whichever Pitbull's halo brace in ECW got big heat.

That hosed me up as a kid. I was probably like 13 or so when I saw that and bought into the whole thing. Hearing about it now, Pitbull had recovered by that point and was cleared to stop wearing the halo but Paul E convinced him to wear it for like another month or something so they could do that angle. poo poo was wild.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Oof, yeah that Bulldog promo is sad and scary. It's like his brain can't keep up with his mouth and shuts down after a few sentences each time.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Animal-Mother posted:

IMDB says Arnold Schwarzenegger appeared on the February 28, year 2000 episode of Nitro. I can't find video or even images anywhere, but I vaguely recall that Arnold's only involvement in that show was entering the building backstage, walking a little way, noticing the ridiculous and notorious fake biceps bodybuilder Gregg Valentino "flexing" in anticipation of Arnold's approval, Arnie saying something like "HA HA, WOW, THAT'S GREAT" and then they cut to commercial and neither man is shown again.

Did I dream this?

God I hope not because that sounds hilarious and I need to see it if it exists

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Honestly surprised he doesn't sell signed 8x10s of that image

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

God drat right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU