Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
You rated this thread '5'! Great job, go hog wild!

Supposedly, they're also going back to a traditional four-sided ring for the Hulkster. So their way of providing a true alternative to WWE is to slowly remove anything that might somewhat differentiate them from WWE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I love Heenan, but I've never been able to enjoy his WCW stuff as much as when he was in WWE. He had a one of a kind chemistry with Monsoon that could never be duplicated, and when he announced with McMahon he worked really well too. But he had no chemistry with Bischoff or Schiavone. Plus, the fact that he had to essentially be a face and bash the nWo really hurt him.

Where the hell did Mike Tenay come from? I remember him debuting during the 96 Bash at the Beach and having no clue who the gently caress he was.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

God damnit, WWE. Please hire Scott Hudson.

They did. He called one match on WCW Raw and was never heard from again.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Skinty McEdger posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T22TnNMftw (5:30 onwards.)

What the gently caress is Brian Knobs doing in there with the New Blood?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I love how vicious Cornette attacks Sean Waltman in that video, yet he was back in the WWF less than a year later.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I SAID, did you forget your SCISSORS???

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Disharmony posted:

Can anybody explain the politics behind Nash being made head booker in late 1998, and the supposed "deal" between Nash and Hogan in the Fingerpoke of Doom debacle?

Hogan and Nash had been bickering behind the scenes over the booking of the shows. This was a compromise that reunited a divided NWO, put the title back on Hogan, while at the same time not making Nash look weak or Hogan look particularly strong. I'm probably missing some details but I think that's the gist of it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

MassRayPer posted:

The last fictional characters in WWE were the Ninja Turtles on some PPV for about 3 seconds a year or two ago.

I was at that show and didn't even see it :smith:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lamuella posted:

how many more steps before we work Tommy Westphall into this?

I had to look this up:

WWE
Boy Meets World
Sabrina, the Teenage Witch
Clueless
Moesha
The Parkers
The Hughleys
The Drew Carey Show
Coach
Newhart
The Bob Newhart Show
Homicide: Life on the Street
St. Elsewhere

13 steps. Now we can only wait for Det. Munch to show up on Raw.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

FishBulb posted:

Even though the whole concept of TV shows being in continuity with one another is retarded and I hate it, if you posted us accurate Raw is in continuity with the Wire...

I believe Belzer showed up as Munch once on the Wire, so I'm pretty sure it fits in there.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Skinty McEdger posted:

He did indeed. Which also means x-files is in the same continuity as Munch appeared there as well.

I get such a kick out of Katie Vick existing in the same universe at Vitameatavegamin.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

MrBling posted:

He didn't really show up as Munch. He was just sitting in a bar, telling the bartender that he used to own a bar himself.

The Wire and Homicide:LOTS can't really be in the same continuity.

Munch used to own a bar on Homicide. I'm certain it's supposed to be him.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lone Rogue posted:

As much as Beefcake tries, he'll never be as shiny and golden as Hogan :(

One must wonder if Hogan constantly pitched Hogan vs. Beefcake in the WWF and they were only able to do it in WCW with Zodiac.

Actually, that was when he was Brutus "The Butcher" Beefcake. Yecch.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I remember hearing that the Texas Tornado was the Warrior because the original one died. That was one of the big urban legends of wrestling when I was in second grade.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Halloween Jack posted:

led Al Green around on a leash as their human dog?

?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
I loved, loved, loved DDP's match with Goldberg at Halloween Havoc. Watch the crowd completely lose their poo poo when Page reverses the Jackhammer into the Diamond Cutter.

Diamond Cutter>RKO

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

MassRayPer posted:

Halloween Havoc varied btween WCW's best PPV of the year and worst PPV of the year.

In the same show you'd sometimes see awesome matches and the WMOTYC too. It was quite the tradition.

Case in point: Hogan-Warrior 2 and DDP-Goldberg were the shame show.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Can anyone tell me why that bout between Booker T and Jeff Jarrett for the World title in which they fought over four boxes, each on a pole, was called a "San Fransisco 49ers Match"?

Because

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dario Delfino posted:

They made Earthquake alter his tiger tattoo into a shark. He was Shark Boy's unenthusiastic uncle. He did cut a nice "I'm a man, not a fish" promo once, though.

I thought he changed his tattoo of his own volition. Though I remember loving that promo.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
Death of WCW has a story about a backstage promo DDP and Kevin Nash did. It was them for a few minutes talking about Scott Hall...but by that point, WCW was so sick of his bullshit that they would drop audio when his name was mentioned. And since they kept mentioning him, the audio dropped a LOT. Also, Nash and DDP were distracted by a swaying overhead light the whole time. Reading about it was hilarious, I'd love to see it.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

:argh:

I don't what's funnier, Van Hammer's childish stupidity or the fact that they had to have a group meet to forbid everyone from doing pool spots all night.

You have to believe that a talent could kill a busload of nuns while high on PCP and nude and keep their job in WCW, but if someone did a bump into the pool outside of the main event they'd be fired on the spot.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shadalator posted:

Oh, what could've been...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcYEq63CyeQ

You do realize these were in WWE, right?

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib
In Flair's book, he talks about how the North Korean promoters wanting him to cut a promo bashing America, and Muhammad Ali yelling out something like "No wonder we hate these motherfuckers!" when asked to do the same.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

El Duke posted:

On top of the money he got to sit at home in 2001-2002.

And in 1997.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

MassRayPer posted:

Their grasp of the history of WCW was just terrible. It was like the people who put it together had no idea what happened, getting some of the most basic facts incorrect. The history of the purchase of GCW by Vince for example is so off the mark that it is baffling. The DVD is being put out by the company who made the purchase!

I'm really fuzzy on Vince's purchase of GCW. As I recall, he bought it from the (I think) the Briscos, had a huge backlash from the fans used to the NWA style of wrestling, and ended up selling it to Crockett, I think. Did Vince buy GCW just for the TV clearance, or did he end up using any of the talent from GCW? I'm really iffy on who came from where prior to like 1985.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

Shard posted:

this show was way better than arm wrestling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb1Z_01CTVM

I still want closure for the angle where Tsunami stole the Dragon Star.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Fallen Rib

BrigadierSensible posted:

On losing streaks: Yes they can be awful.

But I really liked Christian's losing streak gimmick which lead to him teaming with DDP and lead to their (in my opinion), really awesome match at wrestlemania one year.

I thought I was the only person in the world who really dug that match.