Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

dusty udder smoker posted:

IS THAT A loving BATTLE AX? :psyduck:

That was the only response I ever needed to make me watch a match. Holy poo poo, that was a loving battle axe. Or a "club-like thing", according to the commentary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Lamuella posted:

you make a list like this and don't put the KISS demon on there?

That would involve KISS being in the top 40.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

bobkatt013 posted:

Scott Hall quoted Scarface and Vince thought it was genius since he never heard about those moving pictures. Also Crow Sting was pretty bad and pretty blatantly stolen. Sting just loves to steal from movies where the actors died. Stings next gimmick is going to be a director who loves to have kids and actors film scenes late night with helicopters.

Jesus Christ. Didn't expect to see a Vic Morrow joke anywhere.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

pathetic little tramp posted:

Bonus points for anyone who recognises the entrance music that's playing for the next intro.

Wait... Isn't that Andre's theme?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Sounds like the announcer is saying something "Giant" and it also looks like the Giant was on that card, so maybe they gave him Andre's old theme?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

triplexpac posted:

I think it was called the Piledriver?

I like to imagine that it was just the Tower of Terror, but upside down and amazingly unsafe.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I want there to have been a stable of Scott Steiner, Scott Hall, and Scott Norton, who only ever referred to each other as "Scott" and knew immediately every time who was being addressed.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MassRafTer posted:

And Rikidozan.

Don't forget BIG DADDY! (please forget Big Daddy)

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
For those curious, as far as I can tell the movie Hulk was filming never materialized.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

DeathChicken posted:

They were neat there too, if only for the Shaker Heights Spike, the ugliest, meanest "Oh poo poo they've killed that guy" finisher ever.

And now it's famous for possibly literally killing a guy

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jason Sextro posted:

Wait, I never heard about this - who was this?

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Christ, they hit it that way more than once? That's terrible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aPlfPbEh9w

This one is only kind of funny because it gives Jerry Lawler a heelboner.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

This is great television. I like how Savage is actually wearing Macho Man trunks and just repeatedly says OH YEAH in all his scenes. It's also weird that the opening credits list all the wrestlers by their ring names, except for Terry "Hulk" Hogan.

that's Huckster's stage name for when he wants to be taken seriously on his acting merits, brother

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Toffile posted:

Macho Man lost to a hamster on some show.

But only after verifying that the hamster wasn't female.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Zack_Gochuck posted:

They had a pool at the Spring Break Nitro every year. The one where Flair does the pool bump is in 1999, I think.

If WCW was around today, we'd probably get the see Flair do a blade job after a pool bump.

"The water was too hard and it cut my forehead open :smith:"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Okay I know I got Bad Pack on DVD during a drunken amazon binge a few years ago

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Lotus Brony posted:

Speaking of which, how did Jake treat Damien? Well cared for and loved (as much as a snake can be)? Or woefully abused?

In theory, the former.

In practice... There's been more than two Damiens.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Cromulent posted:

I don't know about woefully, but definitely abused. WWF had a company on call who could ship another snake at a moments notice since they'd die so often. I really hate watching the animals in 80s WWF knowing they were around the likes of Dynamite Kid and all the other sociopaths.

Frankie made it out :unsmith:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Lotus Brony posted:

Aw cripes, that sucks about Damien. How about Koko B Ware's birds? They fare any better? I wouldn't be surprised if those were rented, as those types of birds don't do well with traveling.

Yeah, he only had one bird (Frankie) that, iirc, was actually his pet before the gimmick. Sadly, Frankie died in a house fire back in like 2000.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Oh... oh god. Oh god! The British Bulldogs were entrusted with an actual bulldog! MATILDA! MAAATIIIILDAAAA!! :gonk:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Rapid/sliding leg drops are hella cool, though.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Perigryn posted:

Wonder if Waltman can do them anymore after he tore his own rear end...

What if Hulk had used the Bronco Buster instead of the Atomic Leg Drop?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
are we really doing this again

http://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure.php?FID=17963&figure=buffbagwell

it says that Buff comes with a "rip apart training dummy" but mostly it looks like I should never trust Buff's smile

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
http://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure.php?universeid=&FID=17999&figure=giant

real actual scale

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Y'know, for how much of a hilarious clusterfuck the first Battle Bowl was, I think it had some "booking" decisions that could be fun in a modern context. Random hosses and flippadoos, cartoon characters with hardasses, tag team vs. tag team, two guys engaged in a violent blood feud against each other, etc. Maybe adding a second round could even help the little mini-angles progress even further.

Not as (conceptually) fun, honestly, because homogenization, but I'd love to see something like the Lethal Lottery format return. Just as long as they don't book the entire drat ppv as strange and cramped as WCW did. Seriously, Starrcade 1992 has the battlebowl tournament, then half of the battlebowl winners competing in separate matches unrelated to the tournament, THEN the battlebowl 8-man over-the-top-rope battle royale.

Sting, Vader, Muta, Barry Windham, and Dr. Death all wrestled three matches on the card, and it wasn't a proper tournament. But I guess I shouldn't complain, because man there was a lot of great stuff to watch. Even the battle royale didn't suck. It was just weird to have a brutal, hard-fought match that left Sting and Vader both barely able to stand, then immediately hyping into the battle royale to blow off the night, putting Sting and Vader in another fight right off the bat.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Endorph posted:

I forgot what thread I was in and legitimately thought that was current news until I saw Kevin Nash.

Man... Same here. And it took me a minute.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
I really need to pop in and watch that. I genuinely had no idea it was a full series, not just a really bad TV movie.

That means I'm slipping.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

this is kind of like the Terry Funk album where it has strangely prog rock-like instrumentals for being... what it is.

Only semi WCW but does anyone have the Abdullah the Butcher album?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
The lethal lotteries were actually great because you ended up with insane odd couple pairings (Jushin Liger and useless strongman Bill Kazmaier), friend vs. Friend (Jimmy Jam and PS of the Freebirds on opposite sides) and really nuts poo poo like guys currently feuding (Sting and iirc Abdullah). It was interesting and exciting and lead to some refreshing mixups and cool solutions.

Also the matches themselves were largely hideous garbage. This is what happens when El Gigante, Van Hammer, 90s Freebirds, and young pre-buff Bagwell are all in the draw. To say nothing of running out of time and having round 2 be a battle royale.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thing is, you could still gimmick something like the Lethal Lottery and still end up with all that crazy poo poo. At least so you can make sure they can all work together or at least plan something out ahead of time. I honestly think the Lethal Lottery was a brilliant idea that really could work with some tweaking. Two guys feuding that are paired together and it leads to them losing. Or that they find some mutual respect for one another and become an antagonistic tag team. It could also be used as a way to start the split of a long-running tag team by having them on opposing teams. Etc, etc

Yeah, but randomness (or, I guess, an admirable attempt at faking it) means that you can't just rely on the same cliches over and over again. The second one definitely felt a lot more predictable than the first one, iirc

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

NickRoweFillea posted:

God drat Mike Awesome was so loving dangerous

My recent FMW excursion has made me realize what a loving miracle that only 1.5 people got paralyzed wrestling for them

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

DoctorDelaware posted:

There's an early Clash where the Steiners wrestle...Doom, I think. Scott picks up one of them for a slam, and then backflips. Have not seen that before or since.

Searching out clips of his backflip slam and seeing how many (of an already small sample size) end with Scotty spiking himself on the skull is a pretty good indicator of why you didn't see it more often

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MassRafTer posted:

This is how I felt until I rewatched 2000 Nitros and saw him stumbling through promo after promo. He was funny in brief skits but when he had to talk for more than a minute or two he was repetitive and awful.

This didn't stop him from thinking he was a total bad rear end. He once talked poo poo to Don Frye about how he'd be able to whoop rear end in UFC until Frye challenged him to a fight and Miller backed down because he was an arrogant coward (and lovely wrestler.)

I think Don Frye's telling of this involved Miller talking about how there was nobody in MMA who did karate, so nobody in MMA would have any idea how to handle a karateka

"lol" sums my response and probably Frye's.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Shiki Dan posted:

I'm guessing that mayor wasn't Rob Ford.

Hilariously, it totally was

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Scott Steiner never goes on to get banned from the hall of fame ceremony

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
also wasn't it jumbled up with him saying something like he gave the Undertaker his gimmick or finishing move, during a time period where Taker would've been like 10?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

MrBling posted:

cagematch records says that he had two matches in New Japan in 1991. I guess that is a kind of experience.

They're both "different style fights," though, which means he probably did a lot of sloppy punching and not a lot of wrestling.

Still, I guess all you need to put on your resume is "worked a match with Shinya Hashimoto"

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Who should the 2x4 have been made for?

Karate master Jerry Flynn

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
didn't they also try to buy Lucha Underground or something?

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Paying2Lurk posted:

Came to see what the thread title change was about.

I am now Frog-pilled.

FROG! For the people! FROG! Against the people!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!
Frog should have gotten the IWGP belt instead of Brock.