Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Truely, this man is the greatest commentator that WCW ever had.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x9usyk_nash-is-thunder-part-1_sport

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Do any of you have any reason to believe that the New Blood were supposed to be anything but heels aside from, "I want WCW to have been dumber than they already were, god dammit!"

New Blood were always the heels. If you think otherwise you're a loving retard.

The very fact that the veterans were called 'The Millionaires Club' should probably clue you in to who was originally meant to be the heel faction in that storyline.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Timby posted:

Oh, dear God, I just turned this on to discover Tank Abbott singing.

I ... my Lord. What have I done?

They told you to get up on your feet.
They told you to put your hands together.
You failed to comply.
This is their punishment.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Save Russian Jews posted:

From the first video:

I didn't know the Iron Sheik posted youtube comments.

(gently caress Mario Lopez)

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

This is probably the best place to post this, I won't be able to do the standard monthly Sunday Nostalgia show this week, would anyone have any objection to opening up the MYSTERY BOX on Saturday, instead? Otherwise I'll have to leave it at least a couple of weeks since Mania is next week.

That'd be cool. Despite the booking, I think DesX will be a PPV full of good wrestling so I'd want to watch it as well as the nostalgia thread.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

I'm fairly certain the opposite is true.

Even if one isn't a DDP fan, you can't not be excited to see him. He's just so enthusiastic about everything. He's excited, so you're excited.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Only if the crowd is cheering someone you don't like, or booing someone you do.

Because wrestling companies NEVER alter the audio in post in order to make you believe what they want you to

"CODY CODY CODY CODY"
"CENA CENA CENA CENA"

Ziggy Tzardust fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Apr 15, 2010

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
My friend has just given me a few burned DVDs with every episode of 2000 Nitro on them. I'm scared to watch.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lamuella posted:

was Steiner over enough to be allowed to do all this, or were WCW management just loving terrified of him?

The thing with Steiner was that if he was suspended without pay, he would have been in violation of his parole so he would have had to go to prison.

EDIT: Probation. Not parole.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
Someone linked me the WCW recaps on DDT Digest yesterday. Some of these are hilarious in hindsight

# In a big upset, Bill Goldberg pinned Hugh Morrus after a long standing suplex.

* Get rid of Goldberg's tattoos, and he's a dead ringer for "Stone Cold" Steve Austin. Right down to the attire.
* Hugh Morrus is over tonight.
* Oh, my! Goldberg kicked out after a No Laughing Matter! No one has done that before! (not sure if he's being sarcastic here)
* Goldberg refused to interview with Okerlund after the match. Given that, I like Goldberg already.
* Tenay was stumped and didn't know who Goldberg was. In fact, neither do I. Can anyone tell me. And before you e-mail me, it's not Perry Saturn. Goldberg's missing some of Saturn's tattoos.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

North Korea is basically cartoonishly evil. When they inevitably invade a major country, it will probably involve them wearing Star Wars stormtrooper outfits and speakers blasting Imperial March.

At which point they face a force more devestating than both China's and the US's armies. Lawyers representing both George Lucas and John Williams. No more fancy palaces for you, Dear Leader.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

In all fairness, the only reason he ever got a main event push is because he was the only white cruiserweight

“You will never ever, ever, ever, ever see the Japanese wrestlers or the Mexican wrestlers over in American mainstream wrestling. I’m an American. If I’m watching wrestling here in America, I don’t give a poo poo about a Japanese guy. I don’t give a poo poo about a Mexican guy. I’m from America, and that’s what I want to see.”

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Moe_Rahn posted:

uhhhhhhhhhhh

I'm pretty sure that was the joke

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Alaois posted:

imagine if WCW didn't re-up Hogan's contract and he went back to WWF just in time for Wrestlemania 14

Vince had just let Bret Hart go because he couldn't afford the contract AND had just spent big on Tyson. Hogan didn't have anywhere else to go

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Lurks With Wolves posted:

It's not as flashy as any of the big stories like the Fingerpoke or the poop feud, but one story I read in a recap of when Nash first started booking stuck with me. It was 1998, and one of WCW's generic large men was starting to get over as a cool guy who does powerbombs. Maybe it was Scott Norton, maybe it was Hugh Morris, it's been a while and the specific guy doesn't really matter. The point is, Nash was in the middle of his feud with Goldberg and he needed to make it look like he could win. So, Nash took this guy who was getting over in a similar niche to him and he beat his rear end, and he cut a promo on how if he could end this guy's streak this easily think about what he'll do to Goldberg. And then that midcard big guy was never over again because he got clowned on, and that's one more act WCW failed to do anything with.

People always talk about how WCW never made any stars, but their real sin is refusing to let 90% of their roster even try to be stars. That's always going to get under my skin.

The worst example of this is Lance Storm. He was a triple-champion (US, TV and Hardcore) with entertaining matches, a fun character and his own faction. One Nitro, he's cutting a promo in the ring when Nash saunters down the ramp and powerbombs him right in the middle of the ring and leaves him laying. At no point were Nash and Lance feuding. People rightly poo poo on Hogan but Nash was every bit as bad. And he didn't have the drawing power that Hogan did to justify it.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

Heyman's booking of ECW in 2000 was nearly as bad as WCW's booking in 2000.

A lot of that can be attributed to the roster he had. Having to put titles on people he knew no-one else wanted so they wouldn’t leave. There’s only so much you can do with Amish Roadkill

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

haljordan posted:

That script anecdote reminds me of the time Vince and Hogan locked themselves in a hotel room for 72 hours with a typewriter and a wheelbarrow full of cocaine and completely rewrote the script for "No Holds Barred".

I choose to believe this story is true despite that Hogan book being nothing but lies. The idea of a coked out Hogan sitting on the toilet suddenly coming up with ideas for fight scenes is just too good for me

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

the sex ghost posted:

It's actually when he turned down the chance to play bass for metallica but this is up there

Fighting for Pride in the 70s is a banger as well

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Angry_Ed posted:

TAKE AWAY HIS SIDE BREAD, DUDE

WHY DON'T YOU CHICKEN MARINARA YOUR rear end ON OUT OF HERE, BROTHER?

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

El Generico posted:

Has he ever tried to explain the failure of Pastamania?

Not enough Hulkaroos OR Hulkayoos

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

haljordan posted:

"Following a surgery" lol

Hey man. Diverticulitis of the penis requires A LOT of surgeries

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/allan_cheapshot/status/1716823106222698521?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

Maybe 00s WCW wasn’t so bad