Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR
Edit: no longer in need of a job

sklnd fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Feb 23, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullfox
Aug 19, 2008
Languages: HTML, CSS, PHP, Javascript, AS3/Flex (Have a decent grasp on AS3/Flex, but still learning it)
Frameworks: PHP: Zend, CakePHP - java script: jQuery
Experience: 6 years experience with HTML & CSS. 5 years experience with PHP/MySQL, 3 of those years have been spent as lead application developer at a boutique development company in the Bay Area.
Things you like to do: Pretty much anything and everything but especially one-off web apps, data-mining and API integrations (Payment Gateways, Amazon, etc)
Availability: Currently I'm doing this on the side, around my 9-5 as a web developer. Looking to make the move into full time as the work comes in.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran

if it breeds it leads fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Aug 31, 2014

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

mowhonic posted:

I need a developer to build a search app for my site.

We are a distibutor of wine to three states (NY, NJ, CT) and we want consumers to have the ability to search for stores near their location that we have recently sent inventory. The data will be extracted from quickbooks. The results will be shown as pings on a map (ala google maps, perhaps using the google maps api?). The pings will be clickable to show a list of wines that we shipped to that location within the past month or so.

A few years ago we had a programmer build us a basic search app in Rebol (do any legit developers use this language?) but we want more features and we dont think that he can get us to where we want to be. Here is the search he built.

If you are interested send me some examples of search apps you have done (if any), or like totally whatever to evan@organicvintages.com

I've done Quickbooks export/import. Am actually working on something similar at the moment, as well as database search/retrieval through webservices.

What sort of infrastructure are you working with? IIS? SQL Server?

wwb
Aug 17, 2004

Posted over in the SHSC Job Fair thread--we are hiring.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran

SiLk-2k5 posted:

I've done Quickbooks export/import. Am actually working on something similar at the moment, as well as database search/retrieval through webservices.

What sort of infrastructure are you working with? IIS? SQL Server?

Our current infrastructure is a "rebol script" that translates a report exported from quickbooks as an xls into some .dat files which serve as the database. This would probably be scrapped in favor of something that the new developer is familiar with.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos

mowhonic posted:

Our current infrastructure is a "rebol script" that translates a report exported from quickbooks as an xls into some .dat files which serve as the database. This would probably be scrapped in favor of something that the new developer is familiar with.

How much volume of data are you talking about?

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
Unfortunately someone I was working with can no longer help out, and I'm looking for a good database guy who works well with Joomla. And a programmer to work with the database guy to do some statistical work and integration across multiple servers. Please contact me ASAP for more details:

AIM: Treytor
Gmail / gchat : treytor@gmail.com
Email: contact@prankdialer.com

Treytor fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 1, 2010

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
Languages: C/C++/C#
Frameworks: .net, win32
Other skills: sql
Things you like to do: Stuff that isn't too GUI focused... preferably back-end server-side stuff, although I do GUI applications also.
Things you don't like to do: Web development
Availability: At least a few hours a day

Elwood P Dowd
Jan 4, 2003

Well, I've wrestled with reality for 35 years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state I finally won out over it.
Languages: COBOL, SQL, and Cool/Fusion/Advantage:Gen, a conversion language used by about 3 companies in the country
Frameworks: mainframe for COBOL, client/server and batch for the other, also strong with BA and developer supporting tools like Report Composer, File-Aid, etc. I also have a strong background in health care, specifically claims processing.
Things you like to do: Focus on my strengths or get me in the door as an OO developer. I'm smart, I'm easy, I'm eager to work.
Availability: Full time
Contact: either send me a PM, or I can be reached at LionelRThompson@hotmail.com

LordNova
Apr 17, 2005
Languages: C/C++, C#, Java, Ruby, Javascript, MySQL
Desktop Frameworks: Windows API, XLib, SDL, GTK, and general Unix, ANSI, and C/C++ APIs. Direct3D9/10, OpenGL 2.0/3.0
Web Frameworks: jQuery, Ruby on Rails, webGL
Things you like to do: I'm pretty interested in projects that combine 3d graphics with web development, I think this will be a big part of the future. Other than that, I'm interested in any sort of temporary contract work.
Availability: a few hours a day and more during weekends
Contact(aim): Ladoga Karelia although PM is fine also

Spinlock
Jun 12, 2006
E9 FB FF FF FF
Location: Jacksonville, FL at the moment, relocating to Bay Area in April (looking for a job out there or telecommuting)
Languages: C / C++ (10+ years), C# (3+ years), VB, Java, JS, SQL, Perl, IA32 assembly, Flash MX, some PHP and Haskell experience
Frameworks: Win32 API, WinForms, ASP.NET, OpenGL, D3D, CUDA, Infragistics (lol), some ExtJS
Things you like to do: Backend systems, particularly math and algorithm heavy stuff, and really low level stuff (reverse engineering / drivers and the like)
Things you don't like to do: UI design nitpickery
Availability: From the end of March. Full time preferred, part time if it will still be able to support me financially in SF. While I prefer the low level and heavy duty I'm perfectly happy doing user facing apps (doing it now)
Contact: AIM: placebocausality, Email: timwilloney@gmail.com, or PM here

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
[job is filled]

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Mar 5, 2010

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Languages: 14+ Years of ColdFusion Experience (w/ MSSQL, JavaScript, HTML, CSS, jQuery, etc)
Frameworks: I try to avoid them, I've never found a CF framework that I really care for, but I haven't found one I can't figure out, either
Other Awesome Stuff: Adobe Certified Expert in Advanced ColdFusion 8, I built/maintain/market/administer my website http://www.fourdown.org as a hobby
Things you like to do: Make crappy ColdFusion sites better
Availability: I have a full time job but if you have a CF thing you need done, I'm happy to help a goon out as long as my schedule works for you

Not really looking for work but since CF isn't something most people focus on, I figured I'd add myself here in case someone needs help with it. I do have a full-time job and run my own website in my off-hours so I can't take on big projects, but I'm pretty fast in CF so try me if you'd like.

volkadav
Jan 1, 2008

Guillotine / Gulag 2020
I'm a senior software engineer at the New York Times (specifically in NYTDigital, the group that handles the nytimes.com website and associated digital content); we're currently looking to fill about a dozen new openings in front and back end engineering at various skill levels. I've made a longer post in the main SH/SC job board thread, so check it out for more details if you're interested.

lets burn
Nov 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Location: McAllen TX (But I'm willing to relocate with the right opportunity! California or New York a plus)
Languages: Java, C++, CUDA, Open MP, Ruby, MySQL
About me: I have a BS in Computer Science from University of Texas Austin and I'm looking for a mentor in a software development environment. I'd gladly work as a paid intern as well. I'm willing to learn any language or system.
Availability: Asap

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Languages: Java, SQL, Html, Javascript, Css
Frameworks: Spring, Hibernate, JQuery, Wicket
Things you like to do: Web applications, nice and clean and stable
Availability: Able to work part time for several hours a day + weekends

I'm a senior developer/architect and have been working with web applications for the past decade. For reference I just launched http://www.luckeffect.com as a personal project.

My ideal job is a small/medium part-time project with quality in mind.

jetviper21
Jan 29, 2005

Languages: Ruby, PHP, Flex, Air, Flash, Jruby, Mysql, javascript, java, lua, couchDB
Frameworks: Rails 1-3, wordpress, JQuery, prototype, PEAR, phpunit
Things you like to do: Web applications, small rails projects php help
Availability: A few hours every day

I currently work full time as a Sr. Developer of http://hubblesite.org and http://webbtelescope.org

5+ years experance in ruby and php
3 Years Flex and Flash experience

ideal project is something small with a focus on quality and testing

jetviper21 fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Feb 24, 2010

sim
Sep 24, 2003

The agency I work for is looking for someone with Sitecore CMS experience. A client has a 3/4 finished website built on Sitecore and we need someone to come in and finish it out. It really needs to be someone local to the central Texas area, but a some leads to contacts elsewhere would be useful as well.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
My company is hiring 5 - 6 developers. We're mostly looking for intro level (0-3) years of experience, but if we see some good senior candidates, we will probably pick them up.

The company is Denim Group (https://www.denimgroup.com) and we focus on secure development. This means we do security assessments, training and consulting as well as direct software development.

We're located in San Antonio which is nice since the cost of living here is crazy low. Contact me if you have questions or want to send over a resume and I'll pass it to our HR.

jarito fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Mar 8, 2010

monsterland
Nov 11, 2003

edit: removed for privacy reasons

monsterland fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 6, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
edit: Loooong gone

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Sep 15, 2017

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Anyone else find it funny that everyone itt looking for jobs are web programmers? I guess it helps to have skills that are actually marketable instead of knowing php.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande

Markov Chain Chomp posted:

Anyone else find it funny that everyone itt looking for jobs are web programmers? I guess it helps to have skills that are actually marketable instead of knowing php.

Yeah, web programmers are so nooby and such, the internet is a fad.

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Aturaten posted:

Yeah, web programmers are so nooby and such, the internet is a fad.

A big demand but an even bigger supply.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
we get it, you're so much better than all those web programmers, get out

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD

A big demand but an even bigger supply.
Oh I get it so that makes them bad.

I did a fair amount of job hunting last year and while my experience in "marketable" skills eclipse my experiences in php and web dev work, for every C++ or similar position that came up, there were a dozen or more for web development. Take a guess at which one I got hired in and what I'm working with these days (hint, it's the stuff that's highly marketable right now).

blorpy
Jan 5, 2005

Bhaal posted:

Oh I get it so that makes them bad.

I did a fair amount of job hunting last year and while my experience in "marketable" skills eclipse my experiences in php and web dev work, for every C++ or similar position that came up, there were a dozen or more for web development. Take a guess at which one I got hired in and what I'm working with these days (hint, it's the stuff that's highly marketable right now).

Not bad for someone without a degree!

RyanNotBrian
Nov 28, 2005

Always five, acting as one. Dedicated! Inseparable! Invincible!
Languages: PHP, ColdFusion, AJAX and related technologies, ActionScript 2/3
Frameworks: None in particular
Other Awesome Stuff: Experienced Papervision 3D developer. Good at math and physics simulations. Have a CS degree.
Things you like to do: Really keen on science / education related things.
Availability: Very flexible, happy to work remotely.

Was Technical Director of a large web agency here until I realised I had stopped doing what I was good at, classic Peter Principle stuff. Left that to go back to where it all began, freelance development.

I did all the frontend / backend / Flash development for this site:
http://www.starhunt.net.au/

The virtual tour was my favourite bit to build:
http://www.starhunt.net.au/tour/virtual/

Contact me for more references, I can show you the stuff I did at my old agency.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice

Not bad for someone without a degree!

make your own thread, this thread is Goons for Hire

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

atastypie posted:

make your own thread, this thread is Goons for Hire

But how will people who know PHP understand they are looked upon with SCORN if not for the efforts of the brave few who feel the need to poo poo up every thread where it's mentioned?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yes, let's all get defensive when someone suggests in a slightly-aggressive way that people have pride in themselves and aspire to something beyond the 21st-century version of making fliers to hang on telephone poles.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
yes you see making a website is the same thing as taping a poster to a lamp post because

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yes, let's all get defensive when someone suggests in a slightly-aggressive way that people have pride in themselves and aspire to something beyond the 21st-century version of making fliers to hang on telephone poles.

Google, basically an electronic brochure

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

rt4 posted:

Google, basically an electronic brochure

Yeah, Google sure is a site written in PHP with a MySQL backend, like basically everyone here is posting as their "experience".

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
thanks to the magic of php/mysql we get to read your lovely posts

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I hate php as much as the next guy, and I won't argue that there's nobler and more intellectually challenging pursuits than writing web applications all day. But this thread is about employees/employers finding each other, and the industry is currently frothing at the mouth for web development. So it kind of looks incredibly loving stupid to expect anything other than a lot of hits for people touting their abilities/needs in those areas.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Avenging Dentist posted:

Yeah, Google sure is a site written in PHP with a MySQL backend, like basically everyone here is posting as their "experience".

you're the one posting like all web apps are brochures. either you're stupid or pretending to be stupid, get the gently caress out

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Seriously guys. If you aren't posting your bio or posting a position you are in the wrong thread. This isn't productive and it is petty. If someone wants to get a job using a language/platform you dislike then good for you - You are lucky enough that you don't have to work with them. If you feel the need to bitch about languages there is a subforum specifically for that. It is called YOSPOS. This thread is for people to find jobs, not to berate people for not being as awesome as you.

<-- IF YOU POST SOMETHING UNRELATED TO HIRING OR BEING HIRED BELOW HERE EXPECT TO BE REPORTED AND HOPEFULLY PROBATED -->

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Ned posted:

If you feel the need to bitch about languages there is a subforum specifically for that. It is called YOSPOS. This thread is for people to find jobs, not to berate people for not being as awesome as you.

<-- IF YOU POST SOMETHING UNRELATED TO HIRING OR BEING HIRED BELOW HERE EXPECT TO BE REPORTED AND HOPEFULLY PROBATED -->

Rudeness aside, there's a nugget of insight in Chain Chomp's posts. Namely, that having a broader range of skills (especially some more on the "computer science" end of the scale, rather than just "computer programming") will help people to find longer-term, better-paying, and overall more satisfying work.

Some of this just falls under "resume design"; a good 70% of the people in this thread didn't even bother to show off anything they did. I (and most people, I think) would assume that someone who did something cool would want to show it off when they're trying to convince someone to give them money, and without that, one can only assume that they didn't do anything cool. Not generally a good strategy unless you want a job where only the bare minimum is expected of you.

Case in point: GitHub's hiring strategy is to find the person who made that cool thing everyone uses, and then hire them.

Just because someone is sarcastic doesn't intrinsically invalidate their points.

• Locked thread