Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis
I'm working on a provisioning system (C# on .NET 3.5) and I'll be busy myself in a few weeks time, so I'll need a WCF wiz to complete the work.

The code is in three projects: a class library project where all the provisioning code exists, a WinForms GUI frontend application (which currently calls the provisioning code directly which runs in-proc), and a Windows Service project (incomplete). In future I'm wanting to add an ASP.NET client.

The idea is the Windows Service project will run the provisioning code and it will interface with the WinForms and ASP.NET clients using WCF.

I've already architectured the solution such that all the data that's needed is converted into a series of business objects that are passed between the WinForms client and the provisioning code, so all that's left is getting WCF to work with it. I hope it's that simple.

Feel free to PM me with your quotation and time estimate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canned from the band
Sep 13, 2007

I'm a man of intensity. Of cool, and youth, and passionately
London (UK) - Leap (http://www.leapcr.com)

We're looking for a Rails developer to join our London based team. You'll be joining a small, but lively bunch in the heart of Soho to work on our employee volunteering platform.

We're currently running Rails 2.3 and looking to make to move to Rails 3 pretty soon. We love playing about with the latest and greatest technologies and would like to get move involved in the London tech scene. We're going to be making a push to improve our UX and incorporate more social integration, so any experience in those would be fantastic!

It's a very laid back environment, we have team lunches every day and there's always drinks and sweets about the office.

We just posted a job post up on Github: http://jobs.github.com/positions/a9838284-cd77-11df-8c7c-acf15863a4f3

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Cross posting from the SH/SC job fair. If you're a developer and you don't mind relocating to Louisiana (there are a few other locations, most of them in the south), Geocent is hiring. Here is the website and here is my post in the other thread.

Strict 9
Jun 20, 2001

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Looking for someone with a flexible schedule who can help with occasional HTML, CSS, and (preferably) Wordpress work at my consulting company. Fairly straightforward stuff, there just sometimes gets to be a bit too much to handle.

If interested, please send any examples of work and your hourly rate to jon @ hellertechnology.com. Thanks!

icarus
Nov 7, 2003

Languages: C, PHP, Ruby, JavaScript, SQL, Haskell, Python, Java, HTML/CSS
Frameworks: Rails, jQuery
Things you like to do: Web applications, Unix utilities, making either of those more usable
Availability: Starting in December I will be seeking projects in the area or for telecommute.

icarus fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Feb 15, 2012

Logic
Jan 8, 2009
Looking for a programmer to work on a web based simulation racing game. Much like Goallineblitz, court rival, cyberpuck, ,etc etc. I am open to what language it can be programmed in. I would like it to have a phone app and be extremely user friendly. I have it all written out with base calculations and concepts in place. I just need a programmer to bring it to life. This is not a super complex or graphic heavy game. No deadlines or strict time line needs to be followed( within reason ). The programmer would be a 49% partner in the game and split the profits from it's success. If anyone is interested in this project please send an email to
ewarner9445@yahoo.com

Languages: open
Frameworks:open.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Logic posted:

The programmer would be a 49% partner in the game and split the profits from it's success.

No serious programmer will ever respond to "offers" like this, FYI.

Null Pointer
May 20, 2004

Oh no!
"I just need a programmer"

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Lumpy posted:

No serious programmer will ever respond to "offers" like this, FYI.

The Yahoo address doesn't help either.

It's the project owner's responsibility to take on risk, not the contractor; if your business idea's strong enough then you can easily get a loan from close relatives or a bank to pay for the contractor's fee.

The fact you have no hard deadlines also puts potential applicants off because it hints you're not taking the project that seriously nor have it all set-out.

Every time I've been approached in real-life by people I know who wanted me to work for them in exchange for a cut of the profits all ended up failing in their business prospect and I'm glad I never wasted my time with any of them.

Come back with a solid business plan and some capital, then we can talk.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Hoborg posted:

The Yahoo address doesn't help either.

It's the project owner's responsibility to take on risk, not the contractor; if your business idea's strong enough then you can easily get a loan from close relatives or a bank to pay for the contractor's fee.

The fact you have no hard deadlines also puts potential applicants off because it hints you're not taking the project that seriously nor have it all set-out.

Every time I've been approached in real-life by people I know who wanted me to work for them in exchange for a cut of the profits all ended up failing in their business prospect and I'm glad I never wasted my time with any of them.

Come back with a solid business plan and some capital, then we can talk.

Yup. One of two things is going to happen. Let's say for sake of argument, you spend 50 hours on this "easy as pie!" project, and your rate is $100/hr. So, there's $5,000 of work you've put in. EIther A) The game / idea / whatever will fail (which is most likely,) and you've pissed away $5k of :effort: or B) the game / idea / whatever takes off an makes millions, and the owner just gave away millions/2 when he could have gotten the work for $5k, which makes the owner an idiot, and nobody wants to work for an idiot! :)

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

Lumpy posted:

EIther A) The game / idea / whatever will fail (which is most likely,) and you've pissed away $5k of :effort: or B) the game / idea / whatever takes off an makes millions, and the owner just gave away millions/2 when he could have gotten the work for $5k, which makes the owner an idiot, and nobody wants to work for an idiot! :)

But there is a lot of middle-ground between the extremes of A and B, I know a few people who have developed web-based adventure games (similar to Kingdom of Loathing) who are doing alright from it, pulling down about $20,000 a year in revenue from sales of in-game credits and advertising.

...but for those people it's now their full-time jobs, and considering all the time they put into curating their communities (by writing textual content and moderating the playerbase) they're getting a hard deal for their annual $20k, and I doubt they'd be willing to give away 49% of that to the developer they hired for a month at the beginning.

Conclusion: speculative work for a % of the profits never works for anyone.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

The company I work for in Austin, TX is looking for a Drupal developer ASAP. PM me if interested, or even if you know someone who might be interested.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

change my name posted:

I was thinking of putting together a simple Canabalt styled iphone game, but I don't have any sort of programming skills (or a mac). So if anyone's interested in flexing their mobile muscle, shoot me an email at jhilburg@gmail.com. Also it'd help a lot if they knew a good pixel artist for the art assets, but I can always just find someone else separately.
I'm confused, you want to make a really simple iPhone game, and you want someone else to do the programming and someone else to do the artwork. What exactly are you contributing?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cicero posted:

I'm confused, you want to make a really simple iPhone game, and you want someone else to do the programming and someone else to do the artwork. What exactly are you contributing?

Money, I reckon :rolleye:

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

sim posted:

The company I work for in Austin, TX is looking for a Drupal developer ASAP. PM me if interested, or even if you know someone who might be interested.

Is this at Thinktiv?

sim
Sep 24, 2003

nolen posted:

Is this at Thinktiv?
No, this is at SiteGoals.

Belgarath
Feb 21, 2003
removed...

Belgarath fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Sep 15, 2011

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice
Company I work for is looking for someone immediately for a 2-3 week period.

Would prefer someone able to come in to the office. We're in midtown Manhattan.

We are looking for someone with experience in using the Google Maps API v3 (via JavaScript). The application is built in PHP/mySQL on CodeIgniter - familiarity with that would be great, but the primary need is someone who can handle complicated tasks with the mapping - here's a short list of what to expect -

- Creation/manipulation of custom-placed markers, circles, and polylines
- Adding additional Google Maps features (Drag & Zoom, Radius Display)
- Creating custom events on map
- Multiple KMLLayers displayed on the map at once
- Using DirectionsService to get distance, display distance in miles and feet, ability to drag markers & polyline and have distance updated automatically
- Retrieving a list of all markers visible in your viewport (not on the map as a whole) to be able to pass to PHP in order to create an Excel spreadsheet of items
- Import of items from an Excel spreadsheet to be displayed on the map in real time (the actual import would be done in PHP of course, so would likely be an AJAX call to send the Excel, with a JSON return to JavaScript with the lat/lngs and other info)

Some of those tasks are 90% completed already (or more), but mainly listed to give an idea of the API knowledge preferred.

If you're already extremely adept with the maps API v3, being able to work remotely could be a possibility.

PM me if this sounds like something you'd be interested in.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

cletus42o posted:

Company I work for is looking for someone immediately for a 2-3 week period.

Would prefer someone able to come in to the office. We're in midtown Manhattan.

We are looking for someone with experience in using the Google Maps API v3 (via JavaScript). The application is built in PHP/mySQL on CodeIgniter - familiarity with that would be great, but the primary need is someone who can handle complicated tasks with the mapping - here's a short list of what to expect -

- Creation/manipulation of custom-placed markers, circles, and polylines
- Adding additional Google Maps features (Drag & Zoom, Radius Display)
- Creating custom events on map
- Multiple KMLLayers displayed on the map at once
- Using DirectionsService to get distance, display distance in miles and feet, ability to drag markers & polyline and have distance updated automatically
- Retrieving a list of all markers visible in your viewport (not on the map as a whole) to be able to pass to PHP in order to create an Excel spreadsheet of items
- Import of items from an Excel spreadsheet to be displayed on the map in real time (the actual import would be done in PHP of course, so would likely be an AJAX call to send the Excel, with a JSON return to JavaScript with the lat/lngs and other info)

Some of those tasks are 90% completed already (or more), but mainly listed to give an idea of the API knowledge preferred.

If you're already extremely adept with the maps API v3, being able to work remotely could be a possibility.

PM me if this sounds like something you'd be interested in.
I might be a good fit -- do you have an email for those without PM?

cletus42o
Apr 11, 2003

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.
College Slice

take boat posted:

I might be a good fit -- do you have an email for those without PM?
Sure - hit me up at cletus@fourdown.org.

edit - I think we've found someone now, but anyone that wants to pass along any info, feel free.

cletus42o fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 4, 2010

cyberburrito
Apr 4, 2005
done

cyberburrito fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 4, 2012

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
After reading through this I'm not really sure who I should contact to work on my project, as I can't seem to figure out what the best platform for it would be.

To keep it simple, I need some kind of web app created that can create a price based on a number fed into it (price scales linearly with the number inputted), and establish a PayPal transaction based on this price, using what I assume will be their Payflow Link, although I'm probably wrong. There will also be some stuff happening both before and after this transaction, but I'd rather talk about all that on the phone or in person.

I'm located in the NYC area (Hoboken) but can meet in the city any time after 5:30 weekdays, or anytime on weekends.

I do have a budget in mind but we can talk about that after I explain everything, if anyone is interested in working on this. It's pretty generous so don't be shy and shoot me a PM or email me at my personal email which is kyletoman [atttttt] gmail

Tl;DR I have an artistic vision involving the internet and transfer of money for a service, but I lack advanced coding knowledge and would like to hire you outright to do this work for me. Unless of course after hearing the idea you prefer a share, but I understand that is frowned upon plus I have cash in hand already put aside for this.

tween_spirit fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 8, 2010

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

snailrush posted:

To keep it simple, I need some kind of web app created that can create a price based on a number fed into it (price scales linearly with the number inputted), and establish a PayPal transaction based on this price, using what I assume will be their Payflow Link, although I'm probably wrong. There will also be some stuff happening both before and after this transaction, but I'd rather talk about all that on the phone or in person.

Sort-of; you'd use PayPal's Website Payments Standard with IPN.

This kind of thing is trivial: you can write it in any web-app language. If I were hiring a PHP developer to build the system and basic HTML (not including any of the visual design aspects, though many PHP devs are alright at web-design) I don't believe it should cost me more than $500 for a simple single-page that does this:

if( formSubmitted ) {

price = k * valueSubmitted;

renderPayPalConfirmationButtonLink(price);

} else {

renderOrderForm();

}

...then the post-order processing can happen in the IPN callback code.

As a guideline for something with a good visual web design, maybe $750-$1000 tops; more mercenary designers/developers would try to squeeze more money out of out if they think you'll be making a pretty penny from your website.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Why are you making estimates for other people without even having established the requirements?

tween_spirit
Apr 12, 2006

////I WANT
&&TO EXIST
thanks Hoborg, that all actually makes perfect sense to me. I appreciate the estimates as well so I sort of know what to expect, but as rt4 brought up I'm only going to take them with a grain of salt as I haven't explained the full project yet to anyone looking to be contracted.

tween_spirit fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 9, 2010

xpander
Sep 2, 2004
snailrush, do you have an email address we can reach you at?

edit: can't read, wasn't checking hard enough for obfuscation

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Hello, VS 2010 .NET 4 C# WPF Wizards! I've got a WPF data binding job for you. I believe it's quite simple, I just don't have any more time to spend on such things myself.

Details: I want to highlight (and un-highlight) a few controls based on a property of an object which implements INotifyPropertyChanged. The object is in an ObservableCollection which is set to the DataContext, being displayed in a ListBox. The SelectedItem is being further displayed in a number of TextBoxes. I have a nice little working example in a self-contained VS 2010 project, most of the work is done. I'll send screenshots complete with crappy mspaint arrows of exactly what I want. I'll send you the project, you get 'er done and send it back to me.

Email "ep@ <my username> .com" your hourly rate, and how long you've been working with WPF.

Thank you!

epswing fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Nov 18, 2010

Hyperdermic Needle
Oct 24, 2010
Hi goons, we're a new startup making an exciting online, social/education MMO-style game world for young kids. We're looking for people with skills in Flash game development, MMO development, and multiplayer game coding/architecture/engineering.

If you or anyone you know has those skills we really really want to talk to you! Please email us at hyperdermicneedle@gmail.com. Thanks so much.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

If anyone looking for work lives in the Kendall Sq Cambridge MA area, has expertise fiddling with bits, and an interest in working on program shepherding in an academic research group send me a PM.

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran
I posted this back in January but the developer I chose was flaky and never sent me the test like he said he would. Now I am ready to start on it again and get it done.

mowhonic posted:

I need a developer to build a search app for my site.

We are a distibutor of wine to three states (NY, NJ, CT) and we want consumers to have the ability to search for stores near their location that we have recently sent inventory. The data will be extracted from quickbooks. The results will be shown as pings on a map (ala google maps, perhaps using the google maps api?). The pings will be clickable to show a list of wines that we shipped to that location within the past month or so.

A few years ago we had a programmer build us a basic search app in Rebol (do any legit developers use this language?) but we want more features and we dont think that he can get us to where we want to be. Here is the search he built.

If you are interested send me some examples of search apps you have done (if any), or like totally whatever to evan@organicvintages.com

Here is a sample of the data we can output from quickbooks: http://goo.gl/wU0ZE

quote:

We want people to be able to search using a zip code, store name, borough, county, and product name.

If they search for "frey queens" show marks on the map with all the stores in queens with products that match the name frey, if none match show all stores that have frey wine.

If they search for "11570 frey merlot" show stores that are within some radius of that zip code and match that wine name. If there are none in that area widen the search to all stores.

If they search for the name of a wine show all stores with that wine (It won't be too many)

Hoborg
Oct 19, 2006

by T. Mascis

mowhonic posted:

I posted this back in January but the developer I chose was flaky and never sent me the test like he said he would. Now I am ready to start on it again and get it done.

Here is a sample of the data we can output from quickbooks: http://goo.gl/wU0ZE

Looks like a fun and interesting challenge. I can probably whip something up for you in .NET in a couple of days, is that acceptable?

if it breeds it leads
Jan 3, 2001
Forum Veteran
Sure, we should probably continue through email though.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

Hey, sorry for posting this as a help wanted thing instead of contacting individuals through the thread, but I didn't want to have to deal with all the bullshit that goes with messaging semi random people.

I am part of an organization that is trying to update its website. I have decided that Joomla is a pretty good set up for us and I have installed Joomla and a template that I don't completely hate. I just need someone to customize this template for my group and set up the navigation that we need. I don't think its a very complex task and unfortunately we are pretty limited budget wise.Basically need someone to work with Joomla. I hope that this description isn't too confusing or anything.

Please email me at N.Stankey@gmail.com if you are interested

gabezor
Jan 2, 2005
-

gabezor fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Dec 6, 2010

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
Hello!

On Tuesday, I received a call asking if I could build two websites in the next ten days. I told them I could. I guess the investor has been funding this project since March, and the company's main source of revenue is a website, and they still don't have one. I'm currently working on all of that poo poo, which is considered "Phase One".

Phase Two will begin in January, which is the building of a site with similar functionality to Kickstarter. I have been put in charge of creating the site, as well as constructing my team to do it. My background is in design, but I have a strong sense of UI and functionality.

I am looking for a Ruby On Rails developer that I can work closely with over the next few months to make this company's dream a reality. We're looking for a critical thinker, not a robot. The job would initially be from January-March, with a good chance of being hired on full-time if that is your desire.

We are located off the 405 in Hermosa Beach, and need our developer to work in-house. I'm moving up temporarily from San Diego come January, so if you need to move here, together we would have a better chance of finding a cheap place to rent.

Found somebody.

czarmonger fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Dec 5, 2010

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Do you really trust these people that much? It sounds like a nightmare to me!

czarmonger
Aug 16, 2008

ask me about my brothel
Yes, these people are great. I have worked with them previously. The problem was that my associates were previously just investors working on other projects, but once they found they were being BS'd by one of the partners and that for months nothing was actually happening, they came in and took over. I am part of the new, more efficient team.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Paolomania posted:

If anyone looking for work lives in the Kendall Sq Cambridge MA area, has expertise fiddling with bits, and an interest in working on program shepherding in an academic research group send me a PM.

You're a year too late :( Not that I dislike my current job.

jarito
Aug 26, 2003

Biscuit Hider
Just wanted to put a plug in here for my current employer, Rackspace. We BADLY need good developers, especially in our Cloud division. Rack is a pretty cool place with an awesome culture and you get to work on new Cloud projects which is pretty neat stuff. Cloud tends to use Python and Managed tends to use Ruby / Java.

If you are interested, you can PM me for more information or email me at jarret.raim AT rackspace DOT com. You can apply here:

http://www.rackertalent.com/

Our HR group is massively overworked, so PM or email me if you do apply so that I can go up there and check in on your rec to make sure it gets considered. You can also put my name (Jarret Raim) in the 'people I know at Rack field'. Just let me know if you do that so I can go bug them and make sure they call you :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Languages: PHP, Javascript, C#, Python, SQL, Java, Perl, C(++). In approximate skill order.
Frameworks: A little Django and some tinkering with node.js
Things you like to do: I just want to get the gently caress away from the PHP failure pit I'm in
Availability: I'm looking for a new, full-time job in my area and figured I'd at least post here in the off chance someone sees it
Contact: PM me (preferably) or email me at dtanders.net. My AIM accounts mysteriously stopped working last year :\

• Locked thread