Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VirtuaSpy
Jul 26, 2002

OMG WTF FIREEEE!!
My dad has an alarm company in Houston that is over 20 years old. He is currently interested in hiring someone or some company to program a custom, web-based application to combine his Quickbooks data, customer info, sales tracking, etc. Right now, he uses a mix of Google Docs and Quickbooks to track customer leads, sales info, billing, etc, but it is quite fragmented and requires reentry of information multiple times. He is looking in the budget of $5,000-10,000 for a web based application/database solution that would unify everything and perhaps tie into Quickbooks. I've set him up on Wordpress and a customer database that runs on MySQL and DaDaBik, but what he wants next is out of my limited technical scope.

He spoke to someone local a few months ago, and the guy mentioned setting up a VB application with MS Access, which made him shudder. He is thinking more along the lines of a nice web interface for this that he can access from any computer.

Can anyone in this area contact me about this, and I'll pass along your info to him. PM me if you are interested.

VirtuaSpy fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 14, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz
If he changes his mind on Access/VB then let me know :D

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
nm

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
This probably wouldn't be the right thread to ask for services involving installing/setting up software on a VPS, would it? :ohdear:

QuantumPotato
Feb 3, 2005

Fallen Rib
Languages: C, C++, Obj-C, C#, Java, x86 Assembly, ARM7/9 Assembly
Frameworks: WPF, Silverlight, XNA, Cocoa, Boost, Xbox360, PS3, Directx, OpenGL
Availability: Full-Time
Contact: AIM: Hinchable; Email: will.hinchmanATgmail.com; Resume: Available on Request.

Basically, I'm looking for a change of scenery, as the post-apocalyptic landscape of Detroit, MI is really starting to get me down. After years as a hobbyist developer, I took the plunge and went back to school to get a degree in Computer Science and pursue my dreams of being locked in a small closet with a Lebanese Man who mostly shouts about how much he hates Facebook. As such, I have a wide range of skills, involving modern mobile platforms and modern game consoles. I have a few published titles, and will basically work on anything as long as it offers some kind of challenge. I've also got some management experience, but you're probably not going to hire some sarcastic rear end-clown of an internet forum to manage your employees, are you?

QuantumPotato fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jan 13, 2011

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

eightysixed posted:

This probably wouldn't be the right thread to ask for services involving installing/setting up software on a VPS, would it? :ohdear:

I think this is a fine place for it. Any web dev should have the skills to get it done.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

rt4 posted:

I think this is a fine place for it. Any web dev should have the skills to get it done.

Awesome, in that case, I'm looking for the simplest of the simple. I'm making the jump to a VPS so I can utilize ShoutCast for personal/friends use, but there's a problem. I've never dabbled with a VPS in any way, shape, or form before. I'm a web design supervisor by trade, but nothing on the technical side.

So here's what I'm looking for in a Linux based VPS:

Someone to set up a VPS making it work/act like you're regular web server.

- Apache
- MySQL
- PHP
- FTP
- Image Magik
- Mailserver
- ShoutCast

This is just for a personal website, in which Im expecting only a small group of friends to visit. For those of you who are experienced, Im aware this takes no time, so Im really not trying to spend a load of money.

For those of you who are still in the Christmas spirit, shoot me an email at ' kevin at aonic dot net ' or reply to the thread with your email or any IM contact info.

I wonder if anyone has any free time this afternoon/night to do it :toot:

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
Our organization just issued a Request for Qualifications for Phase I of our web development project, creating the Technical Plan, Information Architecture and possibly Design for a new site based on the Drupal CMS. Goon firms are welcome, if anyone from SA does submit and wants to make themselves known then shoot me a PM.

The complete RFQ including a timeline for the selection process can be found at:
http://roadside.org/roadside-rfq-rev0.pdf

Any updates pertaining to the selection process and written responses to vendor questions received before the cutoff will be posted at:
http://roadside.org/webdevelopment.html

Profane Obituary!
May 19, 2009

This Motherfucker is Dead

eightysixed posted:

Awesome, in that case, I'm looking for the simplest of the simple. I'm making the jump to a VPS so I can utilize ShoutCast for personal/friends use, but there's a problem. I've never dabbled with a VPS in any way, shape, or form before. I'm a web design supervisor by trade, but nothing on the technical side.

So here's what I'm looking for in a Linux based VPS:

Someone to set up a VPS making it work/act like you're regular web server.

- Apache
- MySQL
- PHP
- FTP
- Image Magik
- Mailserver
- ShoutCast

This is just for a personal website, in which Im expecting only a small group of friends to visit. For those of you who are experienced, Im aware this takes no time, so Im really not trying to spend a load of money.

For those of you who are still in the Christmas spirit, shoot me an email at ' kevin at aonic dot net ' or reply to the thread with your email or any IM contact info.

I wonder if anyone has any free time this afternoon/night to do it :toot:

I'm going to suggest, unless you need the mailserver for something in particular, to use google apps for your domain. Running a mail server can be annoying and using google apps takes a lot of the headache out of it.

aquil
Apr 23, 2008
Location: Ottawa, ON (and I don't have a car so Kanata jobs aren't exactly viable)
Languages: Ruby, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, SQL, VB.NET/C#, Python, Java, C/C++ (in order of current familiarity)
Frameworks: Rails, JQuery, ASP.NET
Things you like to do: Web sites/apps, preferably with something unusually interesting going on, but I'm not too picky :)
Availability: Full-time, contract, whatever
Contact: Don't have PM, so email me at contact AT consonantwave DOT com

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

aquil posted:

Location: Ottawa, ON (and I don't have a car so Kanata jobs aren't exactly viable)
Languages: Ruby, JavaScript, HTML/CSS, SQL, VB.NET/C#, Python, Java, C/C++ (in order of current familiarity)
Frameworks: Rails, JQuery, ASP.NET
Things you like to do: Web sites/apps, preferably with something unusually interesting going on, but I'm not too picky :)
Availability: Full-time, contract, whatever
Contact: Don't have PM, so email me at contact AT consonantwave DOT com

I have a friend who is looking for a ruby dev there is some info here or just mail him dani.mcgoo@gmail.com as I only talked about it with him briefly so dont have much in the way of details but he is a good guy and under no illusions of creating the next facebook or anything like that

Jick Magger
Dec 27, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Languages: ColdFusion, Java, C/C++, Unix scripting, Javascript,PHP (in order of current familiarity)
Frameworks: MachII, ColdSpring, JQuery
Availability: I'm looking for full time, but if you've got a short-term project in mind, I'd definitely consider it.

I'm just graduated with my BS, and I've got a few years experience with web development. I'd like to be doing something a little more interesting (Java/C development), but I'll take what I can get.

OK FOLKS
Jul 24, 2009
My company needs a Blackberry developer. We're based in Denver but you can work remotely. It will be ongoing support for an existing project, in addition to which we'll need you to add features (So the work will be full time in the beginning, then it will change up over the months. You will be a contractor.). I don't have PM so email me at jennyb at newsgator dot com if you are interested!

Holy poo poo they exist... we found one!

OK FOLKS fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 24, 2011

Melraidin
Oct 11, 2005
[Copying this from the job fair thread since I hadn't realized there was a thread specific to developers.]

[Posting this on behalf of another person at my office this time. Same company as an earlier posting I made for an operations position that we eventually filled with a goon.]

Job Title: PHP Developer

Company: We're the ones behind the contest that hosted Hockey Scores (CBC Hockey Anthem Challenge)

What we want: Someone to do back end development involving Web Services, database performance and stability, add features, and improve integration between our systems and our clients. Along with having an closet in 151, we host a growing part of our infrastructure on S3 and EC2.

You'll be part of a team of front end and back developers, and be expected to meet some tight deadlines. Being able to multitask and handle multiple projects at the same time is a must.

Requirements

Degree in computer science or similar work experience
5+ years demonstrated development experience with hands-on coding in advanced HTML, CSS and JavaScript
Strong debugging skills and the ability to optimize code for speed
Working knowledge of Web 2.0 technologies: AJAX, JSON, XML, HTTPRequest, DOM, etc.
4+ years experience with PHP
Experience with multiple levels of data caching technologies
Exceptional knowledge of database theory and practice. (e.g. transactions, stored procedures, normalization, clustering, partitioning, replication, optimization and analysis).
Strong communication skills in English

Additional Skills

Creating and securing web services (xml, soap, rest, json, amf)
Scaling web applications on multiple servers
Expert level knowledge of HTML, Javascript, and CSS
Cloud computing experience
Understanding and implementation of unit tests
Working knowledge of Linux System administration
Ability to maintain and optimize multi tenant
Profiling / benchmarking a full LAMP stack

Our ideal candidate will be dedicated to developing high quality, well documented code. And be able to work well in a team, and as an individual.

Please PM me on the forums or email me at kevin@filemobile.com.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
Do any goons actually live in Pennsylvania? Just curious

Im a developer, worked on various ASP/ ASP.net applications with SQL Server 2005, also installed software on Windows Servers

aka The easiest poo poo in the entire world

It was for internal purposes at the Postal Service so I cant really show anything

I made a cool app many years ago for no particular reason, you can find it at http://qmidi.com ,
(be in awe of my awesome artistic talent http://qmidi.com/ss.gif)

edit: oops, dont PM me, you can email me at andrew9697@gmail.com

DalekPlunger
Jul 19, 2001

Forum TARDIS Plumber
Need a full-time, C programmer with a C.S. degree.
  • New England area. Local preferred, but relocation possible.
  • Position is entry-level, (0-3 years professional experience), but advancement can be extremely quick.
  • This is a Fortune 500 company with phenomenal growth and amazing benefits, (pension plan, 401k with matching, stock purchase plan, annual cash and stock bonus) - Yes, companies like this do exist and they are hiring!

Now for the catch...
  • You need to be an honest-to-goodness C wizard. Doing something like hacking the Linux kernel as a hobby while getting your degree will make me love you.
  • This is a legacy platform that has been running 20+ years. It runs very well and new features and capabilities are being added all the time. It will never be ported to Java, Python, .NET, PHP, or C#. It has been - and always will be - C. Can you see yourself programming C for 20+ years? Lots of people can't – they're terrified of skill obsolescence. I completely understand that, but then this opportunity isn't for you.
  • You need to be a self-learner with clever problem solving skills. If you are, you know it.

If you think this might be a good fit, you can reach me at dalekplunger at gmail dot com

JediGandalf
Sep 3, 2004

I have just the top prospect YOU are looking for. Whaddya say, boss? What will it take for ME to get YOU to give up your outfielders?

DalekPlunger posted:

• Position is entry-level, (0-3 years professional experience), but advancement can be extremely quick.
  • This is a Fortune 500 company with phenomenal growth and amazing benefits, (pension plan, 401k with matching, stock purchase plan, annual cash and stock bonus) - Yes, companies like this do exist and they are hiring!
And that company would be...?

e: No on in the San Diego area needs a .NET developer? :smith:

DalekPlunger
Jul 19, 2001

Forum TARDIS Plumber

JediGandalf posted:

And that company would be...?

Send me an e-mail and I'd be happy to spill the beans.

I am the hiring manager, but I'm trying not to step too heavily on the toes of our recruitment office. I've been around long enough to know the kind of talent that dwells here, however, so I can't resist :)

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

DalekPlunger posted:

Now for the catch...
  • You need to be an honest-to-goodness C wizard. Doing something like hacking the Linux kernel as a hobby while getting your degree will make me love you.
  • This is a legacy platform that has been running 20+ years. It runs very well and new features and capabilities are being added all the time. It will never be ported to Java, Python, .NET, PHP, or C#. It has been - and always will be - C. Can you see yourself programming C for 20+ years? Lots of people can't – they're terrified of skill obsolescence. I completely understand that, but then this opportunity isn't for you.
  • You need to be a self-learner with clever problem solving skills. If you are, you know it.

If you think this might be a good fit, you can reach me at dalekplunger at gmail dot com

I'm all of those but still a student. I suppose you're not taking internship applications?

DalekPlunger
Jul 19, 2001

Forum TARDIS Plumber

Derpes Simplex posted:

I'm all of those but still a student. I suppose you're not taking internship applications?

Send me an e-mail. Let's talk.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!
EDIT: Found someone thanks!

Betjeman fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Feb 3, 2011

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I'm interested in hiring someone(s) for a number of small projects. 'stand alone' web apps in the language you see fit for the job, vbulletin(and vb cms) plugins(?). Each project is pretty unique.

You'd work remotely of course, on your own time, with your own deadline. I imagine most of these projects some of you could do overnight and others would be a spring break project, but that's up to you.

Pay is according to you quoting\estimating the project. I'm sorry I don't have more details on the different projects, but if you're interested in making some freelance money and have the time over the coming weeks\months please contact me.

Also need some graphics work done, would there be a better place to request that?

email sanders@ntws.org or pm me

bobua fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Feb 2, 2011

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

One more thing.

Looking to have a flash(or any 'in browser') game developed. I have a very general concept and you'd be free to sort of go your own way with it. Contact me for more info and if you're interested, we'll work out the important part($).

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Somebody contact me if you have any idea of something you want made! I might even make it for free if it's something extremely simple and/or a fun challenge. Feel free to contact about everything, even just to talk about programming.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jan 16, 2012

G-Dub
Dec 28, 2004

The Gonz
Not my position, but for UK web Goons Money Saving Expert is looking for a Junior Web Developer.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/site/job-vacancies-and-interns

I imagine the salary is going to be pretty poor at first but it's quite a high profile site so will look good on a CV, IMO.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa
Location: San Diego, Silicon Valley, or around the D.C. metro area.
Languages: C/C++, Java, PostgreSQL, played around with: Ruby, HTML/PHP, Perl
Frameworks: I've played a little with Rails.
Things you like to do: I've piddled around with various languages outside of schoolwork, but barring schoolwork I haven't made anything too notable. Most of our assignments revolve around emulating various Unix utilities. I'm interested in getting involved with web or smart phone app development.
Availability: I'm looking for a summer internship! I'm a sophomore in a B.S. computer science program.
I'll send a resume if you ask!

Seawaffle
Jun 21, 2007
making a career of misquoting
Languages: Primarily C++, C#, C, some Java, I play with Python and Ruby in my free time.
Frameworks: .NET, MFC, a bit of Rails and Django.
Things you like to do: I'm not that picky. I'm really big on learning new things, so anything that gets me out of my comfort zone is cool, something fun and interesting is even better.
Availability: Full-time, preferably.

I've not been having a lot of luck with the job hunt lately. I'm basically wanting to go somewhere with a little more of a laid back atmosphere (currently working for a company that came out of IBM in the 70s, and hasn't really changed). I'd really like to work for a company putting out something interesting, but Houston isn't really a fun area for developers. I'd be willing to relocate for the right position.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
My employer is growing and needs to hire a web developer.
Experience: The listing says 5 years development and 3 years admin, but you don't really need quite that much.
Technology: PHP, Javascript, HTML/CSS, SQL, and Linux are required. If you know Expression Engine or Code Igniter, it's a big plus.
Education: bachelor's degree in computer science or similar

If you're interested, email me at royallthefourth@gmail.com

Mark Kidd
Feb 15, 2006
I've got a small ExpressionEngine project posted in SA-Mart:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3389984

Treytor
Feb 8, 2003

Enjoy, uh... refreshing time!
I'm looking for an experienced, fast developer who is available almost full time over the next month or so. This will be a freelance job, but will be recurring work:

What I'm looking for:

Developing in ASP / .NET
MSSQL database
MySQL and PHP knowledge helpful as we're moving and upgrading an older site (building from scratch, basically)
Asterisk knowledge a plus - http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk+.NET

We're looking for a site with user accounts, paypal integration, and some custom dynamically generated content. Nothing overly complex, but it needs to be bullet proof and capable of high traffic. This will ultimately interface with Asterisk.

Contact me for more information and with a resume or experience you may have, and we can discuss the finer points over tea.

PM
treytor at gmail dot com <-- gchat too

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

We are still looking for bit twiddlers http://people.csail.mit.edu/jhp/stonesoup/

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I'm mainly a C++ programmer with a lot Qt expertise (I used to work for Trolltech and was one of the people who first wrote Qt/Embedded; I use Qt currently in my day job and personally ported it to our embedded platform, and lately I've been messing around with the Android port in my spare time).

I'm a British citizen who moved to the US about 8 years ago and I'm looking to move back, preferably to Oxford. Anyone have any ideas on how best to go looking for a job in the UK these days, especially when I'm currently a continent away? Work permits and visas are not an issue, obviously, since I'm still British.

Communist Q
Jul 13, 2009

Hello, I work with a lobbying firm in the state of Florida. We've been trying to get a website for our firm up, and running for a while, but difficulties with our previous design company have led to us looking for another company. As such, we're looking for a company to take on this project.

As for the website itself, it would be a pretty standard website with a public and private side. On the public side, it would be pretty standard with a home page, about us page, a page for our committees, a page for our publications, what's new and a page to contact us. The private side would would have a members list with entries for each member including photo and contact information (and hopefully a way to easily update the info), a page where we can give quick updates on issues important to the firm, a page for meeting updates and events, and a "think tank" page which would essentially be a forum where our members can post feed back, their opinions and any documents they might find relevant.

If you think you have the experience necessary to design a website like this, toss me an email at kpestik @fc100.org. We'll work out the details more once you contact me. The firm I work for has a decent budget for this project so no worries there. We're more concerned about getting it up and running with the functionality we want.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Communist Q posted:

Hello, I work with a lobbying firm in the state of Florida. We've been trying to get a website for our firm up, and running for a while...

I sent you an email last Thursday, but haven't gotten a response. I'd follow up via PM but you have them turned off.

VeryVito
Sep 1, 2004

"However," said the Universe....
Languages: Obj-C, Flash (ActionScript/Flex), PHP, Perl, MySQL, shell scripting, Javascript & most things Web
Frameworks: Cocoa, Cocos2d, WordPress, Velobrox, host of others
Things you like to do: iPhone Apps, Web apps, Cocoa (Mac) development
Availability: Currently a few hours a day as I have a full-time job doing much the same thing, but I could be talked into full-time/long-term work if necessary.

I develop apps for a living (and need to make a living), so I'm not really interested in revenue-sharing or pro-bono work, but if you need an experienced developer who can turn things around quickly and get your product/project launched and/or mantained, give me a shout.

Also, if geography doesn't matter to you, I'm more than happy to work remotely (as I have done for the past several years).

stuph
Aug 31, 2004

donkey punching my way to the top
Looking for a full time developer for our Java-based billing system

Location: Sarasota, FL - this is an in-office position, though some relocation assistance may be available for the right candidate.
Job: As stated - the position is primarily work on our Java-based billing system with some possibilities of other work as necessary.
Company: Profitable, growth-phase VoIP company.
You: Have some experience writing Java or C# code as a job. Some level of business knowledge and practices is also required. This isn't an entry-level position.

Shoot me a PM or drop a note in this thread with your info and I'll get in touch to answer any questions.

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008
Languages: C#, C++, Java, PHP, Action Script 3.0, Lua, SQL, Unreal Script
Things you like to do: I am not that picky but my free time goes towards game development. I also pick up new languages and ideas quickly and enjoy doing so.
Availability: Full-time

samiamwork
Dec 23, 2006
If you're interested in doing graphics work, we (Caustic Graphics) have a number of openings in a bunch of areas (hardware, software, QA). We're located in San Francisco and were recently bought by Imagination Technologies (iPhone/Dreamcast GPU folks) so we're not really a startup anymore but the environment is still very startup-like.

We'd really like to get someone with some recent SSE optimization experience to fill one of those Performance Engineer positions right now. But we also need someone skilled with GPU programming.

http://caustic.com/company_careers_software-performance-engineer.php

We're also looking for a good manager for our software team.

http://caustic.com/company_careers_software-engineering-manager.php

If you really like QA and know graphics we'd love to hire you.

http://caustic.com/company_careers_graphics-software-qa-engineer.php

We have other jobs here if you're interested in the full list. The rest are hardware and other positions which I have nothing to do with.

http://caustic.com/company_careers.php

You can send your resume and cover letter to me (username @ gmail) and I'll give it to the right folks or you can mail it to the address on the page. I'm not gonna lie, I'm interested in that sweet referral bonus so it'd be cool if you sent them to me.

freedrull
May 2, 2009

happy burger wednesdays @ fortchan.org
Hi, I live in Seattle and am looking for full or part time work.

Languages: C/C++, Haskell, Ruby, Java, Python, Perl
Frameworks: Rails
Things you like to do: Web applications, kernel programming, games, functional programming
Availability: 100%

I have made some contributions to some open source projects, and have some personal projects on github.

http://github.com/mcfiredrill

freedrull fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Mar 16, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

feedmegin posted:

I'm a British citizen who moved to the US about 8 years ago and I'm looking to move back, preferably to Oxford. Anyone have any ideas on how best to go looking for a job in the UK these days, especially when I'm currently a continent away? Work permits and visas are not an issue, obviously, since I'm still British.

The contracting market is pretty boyant at the moment, however not sure how you're going to go about that without being able to attend interviews. Most jobs are via agencies, we've tried several times but failed to find good programmers outside of agencies or word of mouth. Putting an ad up doesn't seem to get anything other than a flood of interest from the subcontinent and I expect that's the same for a lot of organisations.

This is generally the site I use when looking for work http://www.cwjobs.co.uk/ - applying for jobs here will at least get you the interest of agencies and they may be better placed to give you advice on how to apply for jobs while out of the country.

I have to say though even when I only wanted to move from London to Birmingham getting them interested enough to stop offering me positions in London only was a chore.

• Locked thread