Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

gmc9987 posted:

The one with the spring is meant to emulate a felt-tip marker, don't know specifically about the others. They give you so many because the intuous 4 eats stylus tips for breakfast.

IIRC, the spring-loaded one is supposed to emulate a metal-nibbed pen. They call it the "inking" nib, so it's sproingy like a dip pen.

The felt-tip nib is for felt-tip fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Oh, that makes sense. The intuous 4 seriously does eat nibs like crackers, though.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT
I use the Cintiq 21UX very often for school art and design projects, and it rocks so loving hard. I love it, I could not think of a better way to do digital art.

bad frog
Dec 21, 2003

listen up
For those of you complaining about the nib-eating on your Intuos 4, you probably need to change your pressure settings.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154862

It makes a huge difference. I've been using the same felt nib for 9 months now, painting every day and it's hardly lost size. It's still gotten kind of pointy over time, but it's a huge improvement.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

I just upgraded from a graphire 3 to a intuos 4 medium and holy poo poo is it one beautiful looking computer parapherial, even the box it came in was gorgeously designed.

Helios127
Nov 9, 2010

by T. Finn

Humboldt squid posted:

I just upgraded from a graphire 3 to a intuos 4 medium and holy poo poo is it one beautiful looking computer parapherial, even the box it came in was gorgeously designed.

My favorite part of it is being able to name thoose buttons on the side to things, such as adding a CTRL-Z button and naming it "Oops!"

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

But you were dead a thousand times. Hopeless encounters successfully won.
Anyone have experience with Cintiq screen protectors? I'm paranoid about my new one, after reading about scratched up screens people have had to replace in the past, although I'm not sure if it's still a problem with the newer models/materials. I've got one of these: http://www.strongengineering.com/onescreenprotectorfitscintiq21ux17x12-34.aspx - And it's pretty nice, although be warned you'll lose a noticeable amount of clarity due to the drawing side texture.

As for the Cintiq itself, I definitely like it, although I'm still working out ergonomics, and I can't make any solid guess about working speed increases yet.

P.S. Also I need to find a programmable ergonomic mini-keypad thing, because these side buttons seem like not quite enough.

Locus fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Nov 15, 2010

Logic Lies
Dec 31, 2002
o shit silly me
The wifey just got me a Intuos 4 medium for Christmas I am just wondering what everyone prefers for software. I saw Artrage mentioned earlier in this thread and there is Sketchbook Pro from autodesk that does the same thing. Anyone have any ideas on which one is better?

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

Logic Lies posted:

The wifey just got me a Intuos 4 medium for Christmas I am just wondering what everyone prefers for software. I saw Artrage mentioned earlier in this thread and there is Sketchbook Pro from autodesk that does the same thing. Anyone have any ideas on which one is better?

Considering that Artrage is only $20 and Sketchbook Pro is $80(?), I would get the former and see where it takes you. I haven't worked with either software but I've heard good things about Artrage.

Edit: Or you can just download the trial versions of each software and compare them directly yourself.

Das MicroKorg fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 26, 2010

Logic Lies
Dec 31, 2002
o shit silly me
I grabbed the demo for both and will eval them before i buy. Was just trying to get some feedback :)

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Logic Lies posted:

Artrage is designed for simulating conventional art supplies, like oil paint, chalk, smudging sticks, etc. Things can end up looking a bit cheesy, but if you know what you're doing it can be powerful. It's kind of resource intensive and doesn't do well with large print-resolution files, so if you're working on something you want to print out, you're better served with Photoshop.

Sketchbook Pro is designed to be light, perform fast and have a minimal interface. The idea is that you use it to do your preliminary sketching without the glut of a full-featured program like Photoshop; but it's generally assumed that you'll take what you did in Sketchbook and bring it into PS to finish it. The tools in Sketchbook Pro do not bear any resemblance to their real-world counterparts.

There is also Corel Painter Sketchpad, which is like a hybrid of Artrage and Sketchbook -- light interface, but with tools designed to look more like natural media.

Photoshop can do pretty much anything the above can do and more. It has the best brush engine and with the right configuration of tools you can simulate pretty much any natural media, even watercolors (I'm in the process of making a tutorial on this, btw). NKS3 is also a nice free set of natural media presets for Photoshop.

tl;dr: PHOTOSHOP>EVERYTHING

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 26, 2010

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

neonnoodle posted:

Photoshop can do pretty much anything the above can do and more. It has the best brush engine and with the right configuration of tools you can simulate pretty much any natural media, even watercolors (I'm in the process of making a tutorial on this, btw). NKS3 is also a nice free set of natural media presets for Photoshop.

tl;dr: PHOTOSHOP>EVERYTHING
Photoshop costs about $600 though, unless you mean Elements. Also photoshop may have nice brush capabilities, but Painter (full version at least) has some color blending and advanced brush effects that I haven't ever seen in PS. <:mad:> SOFTWARE FIGHT

Also I picked up a Logitech G13 for Cintiq use and it's way nicer than contorting your hand to reach a keyboard or making do with the limited number of side controls on a Cintiq.

ceebee
Feb 12, 2004
Yeah painter's brush system is definitely superior to Photoshop's. The only reason I stick with Photoshop these days is because I've had more crashes with Painter than PS. And I have too many custom brushes to give up.

Halx
Jun 13, 2002

With Intuos4, when you register on the web you can get a few free programs to get started. The PS elements version and the painter sketchpad version allow you upgrade to the full versions for relatively cheap.

Info:
http://www.wacom.com/intuos/bonus-software.php

Register:
http://download.wacom.com/

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Any other Tablet PC users? I'm using a Toshiba Tecra M4 and am loving it. (Apart from the myriad of technical problems. Not loving those.)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I had a 3 x 5 ish bamboo wacom tablet and felt it was very awkward to use considering I had a 26' screen and this thing's working area was about the size of my hand, used it to draw hair for my vector graphic artwork.

I more or less started out artwise imitating Rich Burlew's Order of the Stick style art and looking to make the jump to manga as the next logical step (as I like Rich's artstyle for what I feel it conveys a lot of emotion for very little complexity and I feel manga does similar).

Oots style drawings worked for me as it was basically just shape manipulation with the mouse but the full leap to drawing characters and more realistic looking back grounds the mouse is almost certainly insufficient and made some good progress with pencil and paper.

However now I would like to purchase a proper tablet, desk space isn't an issue and neither is money I think as I can it seems even afford the largest tablet available at futureshop through invoking their "we'll match our competitors price plus 10% further".

So my question is to those who have done some manga drawing is it the wrong logic to look to get something closest to a 1:1 ratio to my screen as possible (so my brain doesn't have to do the whole "objects in the mirror are larger then they appear" bit) or is larger generally more linearly more comfortable or is there a point where it gets "too big" and becomes less comfortable?

The large is just about 487$ Canadian, then two differently sized mediums at 330 and 400 respectively, all are the Intuos4 brand as well, goal is to make full fledged webcomic.

I am of the "If it only costs a little bit more might as well get it if it's that much better" school of thought and dislike getting entry level gadgets for the fear when I do eventually and inevitably go deeper in I end up spending more in total then if I had simply gone straight for the end stuff first.

So I'm eyeing the 480$ tablet and maybe the 3 year extended warranty and extra pen stuff kit but more or less just waiting on feedback.

So to reiterate, is bigger more or less better if money isn't an issue or is it a real possibility it'll become more awkward and uncomfortable if I end up getting something too big?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Right now I'm using an Intous 3 6x8. I absolutely love it, I only wish it were bigger. I've been using it for half a year now. I'd say go for the 9x12 if you can afford it. If you go any bigger it might be unwieldy to use in your lap (which is how I draw.)I know a lot of people are weary of the Intuos 4 due to the wearing out of the nibs, but I haven't used a 4 yet, myself.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Space-Bird posted:

I know a lot of people are weary of the Intuos 4 due to the wearing out of the nibs, but I haven't used a 4 yet, myself.

A tutorial for manually changing the pressure curve -- this will mean you have to exert less to get the highest pressure. This will help reduce the wear on nibs/surface.

I am on a Lenovo X61T, although I use an Intuos3 6x8 at work. I'm waiting on the big Cintiq, but it's about a 2 month wait...

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Locus posted:

Anyone have experience with Cintiq screen protectors? I'm paranoid about my new one, after reading about scratched up screens people have had to replace in the past, although I'm not sure if it's still a problem with the newer models/materials. I've got one of these: http://www.strongengineering.com/onescreenprotectorfitscintiq21ux17x12-34.aspx - And it's pretty nice, although be warned you'll lose a noticeable amount of clarity due to the drawing side texture.

I've got an Amazon order pending for a 21UX myself. Have you tried any of these screen protectors yet?

AdamAntz
May 15, 2005
The One
Can someone here give me a little advise?

I have never used a tablet or done any digital drawing. I'm a painter and work with graphite, charcoal, pastel, oil, acrylic. I want to get into digital painting though, and I'm looking for a good first tablet to buy.

My budget is rather small. I really dont want to spend more than around $200 or so. From reading this thread I get the impression that bamboos aren't really meant for serious drawing/painting, and that the best option would be an intuos 3. However, its a bit more expensive than I'd like and I'm not entirely convinced anyway. I mean I've seen people make nice paintings with their loving ipads (http://underpaintings.blogspot.com/2010/11/free-online-ipad-demo-from-david-kassan.html) and I also know people with Cintiqs that can barely draw so I really believe that this is mostly about the talent of the artist rather than the hardware.

I want something cheap. I'm looking at Genius tablets and they're bigger and cheaper than the Wacom ones. Should I go for one of those instead?

Edit: After further research I just found out that Wacom tablets in my country are like $700. Yes, the same tablet that is sold for $300 in the US is $700 for me. I might be willing to pay $300 for one, but $700? gently caress. No. Genius tablets are the same price as in the US though. Seems like I have no choice.

http://www.geniuseshop.com/p-10554-9-x-12-cordles-mouse-pen-tablet-high-resolution-graphics-tablet-PenSketch
or
http://www.geniuseshop.com/p-10553-12-x-7-multimedia-graphics-tablet-cordless-pen-tablet-for-Windows-and-MAC-G-Pen-M712X

Much cheaper, bigger tablets than a Wacom, not the same pressure sensibility but honestly thats the least of my worries considering my situation.

AdamAntz fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 28, 2010

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

AdamAntz posted:

Cheap tablet.

You can, of course, get some solid learning experience and have a lot of fun with a cheap tablet. However, everyone here will tell you the same thing: save your money up and buy a Wacom.

Having had 2 cheap tablets go tits up on me in the past few years, that's what I plan on doing. (I'm planning on getting an Intuos4 medium in another month.) I had a Genius G-pen and a Vistablet, they were the exact same tablet with different markings. Both have lost sensitivity in the upper regions of the drawing surface.

Lots of people here have had Intuos3s for 5+ years. I'm telling you from experience that a sub $200 tablet wont last 2 years. In the long run your money is better spent paying to have another goon buy and ship a Wacom to you.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You can also try looking online for tablet PCs. Second hand tablet PCs can be cheaper than new tablets (googling says one like I have is $400, and that one contains a wacom tablet), and letting you see what you are drawing on is tremendously helpful. Just be wary of technical problems.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

AdamAntz posted:

Cheap tablets

I'm with CannedMacabre that you should not go with any other tablet than a Wacom. It is a tricky situation though when you've never worked with a tablet before, and most people I know that own tablets themselves have either tried them at an office/internship/friend first for a bit, or had a bad experience with another brand before getting a Wacom. They are expensive, but so drat durable and comfortable to use. I've got an A4 Intuos3 for almost four years now, that has been used every day, apart from three months that it sat in storage, where a water pipe burst, leaving mold over most of my stuff before being noticed. Still, there has never been the slightest of a problem with it or the pen or the (horrible) mouse.

Additionally, I own a small Wacom Bamboo Pen tablet for when I travel and I agree that it's too small for serious drawing/retouching, especially when you're used to the sensitivity of the Intuos pen.

I've also worked with another brand that I forgot the name of at my first internship, where the pen needed batteries and thus was so heavy that it became tiresome to use. Don't get a tablet with a pen that needs batteries/recharging!!!

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Fangz posted:

You can also try looking online for tablet PCs. Second hand tablet PCs can be cheaper than new tablets (googling says one like I have is $400, and that one contains a wacom tablet), and letting you see what you are drawing on is tremendously helpful. Just be wary of technical problems.

I thought of going this rout last year, but it was hard to find one that met both my (high)needs and (low)budget at the time.

I know the HP tablet PCs that were made a few years ago should be avoided. They have a reputation for overheating a turning into a paperweight. I think there were some Toshibas with the same issue, but I can't remember the models.

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I've had a Graphire3 for a long time (about 3 or 4 years now), although after changing computers and working with Windows 7 it just doesn't seem to be running like it use to. Input delay and some strange new Windows 7 pen tablet features that make drawing a nuisance have just convinced me to put it behind my monitor where I'll ignore its existence for many years to come.
It was good while it lasted. :smith:

Mchangin
Feb 18, 2010
I used an Intuos4 Medium for about a year and a half now, and the USB Ports on the tablet itself just caved in and became impossible to use. USB 2.0 is good and makes the tablet really portable and all, but if constant removal of the wire itself is required, I recommend using an Intuos3 instead.

Now my intuos4 is a sitting duck because I can't afford paying $120/hour for repairs. :smith:

Instead, I now use a Bamboo Pen Small and... while it's very decent, it's going to have to take some getting used to for the cursor to just sweep across the screen like that. :sigh:

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

neonnoodle posted:

Photoshop can do pretty much anything the above can do and more. It has the best brush engine and with the right configuration of tools you can simulate pretty much any natural media, even watercolors (I'm in the process of making a tutorial on this, btw).

I finished my tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRn402WuUk

Parts 2-5 are on my Youtube channel.

I hope ya'alls find this useful.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Mchangin posted:

I used an Intuos4 Medium for about a year and a half now, and the USB Ports on the tablet itself just caved in and became impossible to use. USB 2.0 is good and makes the tablet really portable and all, but if constant removal of the wire itself is required, I recommend using an Intuos3 instead.

Now my intuos4 is a sitting duck because I can't afford paying $120/hour for repairs. :smith:
When did you buy it? Is it out of the warranty period? I'm guessing it is when you're mentioning $120/hr repairs. I know the warranty's 2 years for North America and 1 year for Central/South, but I don't know outside of those areas.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

I'd go with a Intuos3. It's relatively cheap, reliable, and works incredibly with Photoshop.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I've seen some other people around the web complain about the USB ports coming undone on the Intuos4. If you look at the user pics on Amazon you can see the poor soldering on the ports. Anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know if Wacom has addressed this?

Locus
Feb 28, 2004

Andrigaar posted:

I've got an Amazon order pending for a 21UX myself. Have you tried any of these screen protectors yet?

Still just using the Strong Engineering one. No sign of wear on it that I can see. The clarity loss doesn't bother me, but that's just because I don't take it off and have gotten used to it.

I'll probably get around to trying other options some day.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Locus posted:

Still just using the Strong Engineering one. No sign of wear on it that I can see. The clarity loss doesn't bother me, but that's just because I don't take it off and have gotten used to it.

I'll probably get around to trying other options some day.

The screen on the 12WX had a slight fuzz to it anyway, and the 21UX I saw at SD Comic Con was crystal-loving-clear. I didn't use the 12WX all that much for reasons mostly due to its scale and screen design, but it was never noticeably scratched between use and electronic dust collecting.

Also: http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1278

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CannedMacabre posted:

I thought of going this rout last year, but it was hard to find one that met both my (high)needs and (low)budget at the time.

I know the HP tablet PCs that were made a few years ago should be avoided. They have a reputation for overheating a turning into a paperweight. I think there were some Toshibas with the same issue, but I can't remember the models.

Yeah, overheating is a problem. I solved this on my Toshiba by soldering a cable from one of the USB ports to the internal fan, with a switch, so I could force the fan to full on when I need. Currently, it still hangs when you try to play audio on it (no idea why), but for my purposes it's perfect, and generally runs cooler than my normal laptop. But is very very noisy.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Silver Sound posted:

For those of you complaining about the nib-eating on your Intuos 4, you probably need to change your pressure settings.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154862

It makes a huge difference. I've been using the same felt nib for 9 months now, painting every day and it's hardly lost size. It's still gotten kind of pointy over time, but it's a huge improvement.

I have a question for anyone about this, but I was going through this tutorial to change the settings and I'm stuck on Step 5.

quote:

STEP 5:
Go to your Wacom preferences file, which is probably located here:
C:\Documents and Settings\mcox\Application Data\WTablet\Wacom_Tablet.dat
(Back up this file before you go change it, in case you need to revert.)

I can't find this folder or data file. I tried re-installing the drivers for the tablet and that didn't help. So I'm kinda stuck right now... help?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

lu_ducky posted:

I have a question for anyone about this, but I was going through this tutorial to change the settings and I'm stuck on Step 5.

I can't find this folder or data file. I tried re-installing the drivers for the tablet and that didn't help. So I'm kinda stuck right now... help?

Which OS are you using?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Windows 7

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

lu_ducky posted:

Windows 7

In mine, it's in C:\Users\[YOUR_NAME_HERE]\AppData\Roaming\WTablet

*edit Oh yeah, and you might have to enable hidden folders to see this.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 3, 2011

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Awesome dude! thanks alot!

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

For anyone using the Cintiq 12WX, or considering buying one but turned off by the accuracy issues, Wacom recently released new drivers with 4-point calibration (vs 2-point). Makes a HUGE difference - I'm actually using mine as a tablet now instead of desk-art!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

woot fatigue posted:

For anyone using the Cintiq 12WX, or considering buying one but turned off by the accuracy issues, Wacom recently released new drivers with 4-point calibration (vs 2-point). Makes a HUGE difference - I'm actually using mine as a tablet now instead of desk-art!

Is the outer 1/4"-1/2" functional or still wobbly? That's why I sold mine off and opted to pay a used car's fee for a 21UX... that Amazon is still sitting on the order for for obvious reasons :sigh: