Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Andrigaar posted:

Is the outer 1/4"-1/2" functional or still wobbly? That's why I sold mine off and opted to pay a used car's fee for a 21UX... that Amazon is still sitting on the order for for obvious reasons :sigh:

Wacom's supplier for the special kind of glass the 21UX uses can't make the screens fast enough.

:whip: COME ON GUYS GET ON THAT poo poo I AM VERY INPORTANT

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 4, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blutnerd
Jul 22, 2007

Monoton und Minimal
Quick heads-up:
The new Mac Appstore has SketchBook Pro at an introductory price of $30 (or something similar, my prices aren't in US$).

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Anyone else getting interested in the Asus EEE Slate EP121? The battery life is only 3.5 hours and it's expensive, but it seems like it would be great for digital art as it's a lightweight tablet but with Wacom digitizer and stylus and full Windows 7 for about the cost of a Cintiq of the same size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZyTpLYGNyk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Slate-EP121-1A011M-12-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B004HKIIF8

expunge
Jul 24, 2004
I have an existential map. It has 'You are here' written all over it.
Not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but I am just getting back into design and needed a tablet after never having used one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101

All of the reviews seem pretty good on most of them. For 40 bucks it's not too shabby I don't think. It will be here tomorrow so i can try it out.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

expunge posted:

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but I am just getting back into design and needed a tablet after never having used one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101

All of the reviews seem pretty good on most of them. For 40 bucks it's not too shabby I don't think. It will be here tomorrow so i can try it out.

$40 is dirt cheap, so whats to lose? However, if you do use it regularly, I imagine you too will be looking to buy a Wacom in 6 to 18 months.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Is the outer 1/4"-1/2" functional or still wobbly? That's why I sold mine off and opted to pay a used car's fee for a 21UX... that Amazon is still sitting on the order for for obvious reasons :sigh:

I'd like to know this as well. I've been using the same Bamboo for almost three years now, and while I love it, I'm at the point where I could use something better. I COULD drop $2000 on a 21UX if the 12WX is still making GBS threads the bed performance-wise, but I really don't need the extra $1000 screen space for what I draw.

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

MY ABACUS! posted:

Anyone else getting interested in the Asus EEE Slate EP121? The battery life is only 3.5 hours and it's expensive, but it seems like it would be great for digital art as it's a lightweight tablet but with Wacom digitizer and stylus and full Windows 7 for about the cost of a Cintiq of the same size.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZyTpLYGNyk&feature=player_embedded
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Slate-EP121-1A011M-12-1-Inch-Tablet/dp/B004HKIIF8

I preordered this 2 days ago. It is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm willing to sacrifice the levels of sensitivity for the form factor and power this thing has. Can't wait to get it.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Atarian posted:

I preordered this 2 days ago. It is exactly what I've been looking for. I'm willing to sacrifice the levels of sensitivity for the form factor and power this thing has. Can't wait to get it.

This looks extremely promising. Please keep us posted.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I got the Large tablet (840 model) my god its huge, almost didn't fit on my desk, but I got it for like 200$ off thanks to some clever price matching so I'm happy.

This has probably already been asked if so apologies, which program is best for sketches and drawings? Illustrator? Photoshop? Or some other one? My aim is drawing manga.

Edit: Ah crud, I have a dual monitor setup how do I get the tablet to only use one of them?

edit2: fixed.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jan 16, 2011

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Sketchbook Pro is a very strong sketching/drawing software as the name implies. It has a minimalist interface and it runs very well - even on large brush sizes. It also has minimum and maximum pressure sensitivity controls for brushes (PS does not have this built in and you must configure manually), which is excellent for colouring because you don't have to press hard if you don't want to, so less nib eating.

Artrage is another viable option and it has more tools available and is cheaper by a decent amount. However some think that Sketchbook Pro has a better pencil brush, like myself. I could never get into Artrage, but it's worth checking out.

There's Manga Studio, which as the name implies, is geared towards manga. I know nothing about it other than that some people swear by it.

Illustrator is not for everyone and it can be very picky at times. So many times it feels restrictive because of how different it is from raster software. So many mistakes are easily remedied in raster software, but with Illustrator it's not always so simple and many things have to be approached different. In spite of that, vector graphics still offer the cleanest lines you'll ever see and I've seen many great pieces made out of it. My main beef with it at times is how it comes off more as a technical beast, so it's not as approachable. If you use PS with it though, you can get some really awesome results.

Photoshop is the obvious king out of the others I mentioned, especially that most software are compatible with it on some level. However not only is it expensive, it's usually does too much for what people would use it for. For drawing manga, it seems like it's overkill. So for that reason I wouldn't bother.

My suggestion would be to download trials, they all have reasonably long trials and artrage has a free (but of course handicapped) version available. Hopefully I was able to help.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
My tablet appears to have come with a software bundle of Corel® Painter™ Sketch Pad, Adobe® Photoshop® Elements 8 (anyone know the differences with actual photoshop?), and Autodesk® SketchBook® Express 2010, thus far I'm loving Autodesk.

As for illustrator I think I recall trying it once before on my older computer when I was trying it out as a more professional and non-crashy alternative to Inkscape.

However after a few hours gave up on it feeling that Inkscape was far superior and more use friendly (and possesses considerably more keyboard shortcuts).

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Yes, mine came with those as well - it's standard for buying any intuos4 tablet. I never used them because I already bought the creative suite, so I have no personal experience with them. I did read about them at length and of course they're watered down versions of the full software, but it comes free anyway.

Difference between PS Elements 8 and PS CS5: http://photo-editing-software-review.toptenreviews.com/photoshop-elements-and-photoshop-cs3-comparison.html

Difference between Sketchbook Pro and Express: Pro 2011 has unlimited layers, text features, and some layer blending features. Express obviously has none of those things and I read it has very limited layers, like 3 layers.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Middle of last week I got a shipping notification for my 21UX from Amazon :cheers:

Target arrival is between, I think, March 23rd and April 12th :geno:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Hey Guys,

So I'm a typical Web Designer, not an artist at all. I was thinking about picking up a tablet just to help out with paths in Illustrator when making logos, but I'm wondering if getting a Intruos 4 Medium is overkill for my usage. Logo design is definitely not my meat and potatoes, I actually try to avoid it other than participating in SA-Mart logo threads when I'm bored.

Would the bamboo be more suitable for me?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

The Dave posted:

Hey Guys,

So I'm a typical Web Designer, not an artist at all. I was thinking about picking up a tablet just to help out with paths in Illustrator when making logos, but I'm wondering if getting a Intruos 4 Medium is overkill for my usage. Logo design is definitely not my meat and potatoes, I actually try to avoid it other than participating in SA-Mart logo threads when I'm bored.

You can also probably find a used Intuos3 being sold by someone who upgraded to a 4.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

The Dave posted:

Hey Guys,

The Bamboo is fine for Illustrator and for a general mouse-replacement, if you don't actually "draw" much (i.e. don't need more pressure levels, a tilt sensor and a big work area).

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah I don't really need pressure level, tilt, etc. I just would like to be able to draw a freehand curve really, sometimes I just get frustrated I can't draw it out.

At home tonight I'll have to decided if the small is big enough for me, eying up that Bamboo Fun despite the ugly grey color.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
You could also probably get a used Graphire 2 or 3 for like $20.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
MangaStudio I think is winning my little race for best drawing program for my usages.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Raenir Salazar posted:

MangaStudio I think is winning my little race for best drawing program for my usages.

Dave Gibbons of Watchmen likes it too. Care to elaborate why? I'm rather curious.

Logic Lies
Dec 31, 2002
o shit silly me

Raenir Salazar posted:

i'll have to grab the demo of that when my trial of sketchbook pro runs out

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
For the stuff I do, Mainly Web design, logos and ebay templates the Bamboo one is great. Its cheap too! Got mine for £30 refurb off ebay, using it with PS and Ai.

I would never buy another manufacturer and listening to other Wacom owners this seems the norm. Try another brand, get a wacom and never look elsewhere again.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Anyone use the Intuos 4 and bamboo? I got my wife an Intuos 4 large last year and I love it, but she's getting sick of me hogging it and taking it to the office, so I was thinking about getting a cheap bamboo to keep at my office.

I'm wondering how much difference you can actually tell in the pressure sensitivity between the two.

Das MicroKorg
Sep 18, 2005

Vintage Analog Synthesizer

RizieN posted:

Anyone use the Intuos 4 and bamboo? I got my wife an Intuos 4 large last year and I love it, but she's getting sick of me hogging it and taking it to the office, so I was thinking about getting a cheap bamboo to keep at my office.

I'm wondering how much difference you can actually tell in the pressure sensitivity between the two.

A lot. I've got both a large Intuos3 and a Bamboo at home, and work with an Intuos4 in the office sometimes. The Bamboo definitely behaves as cheap as it is. As I wrote earlier, if you don't draw much and mainly need a mouse replacement it's perfectly fine, but as soon as sensitivity and work area resolution get important it becomes frustrating. Also, don't put your Bamboo next to a running Intuos tablet as the latter will interfere with the former :haw:

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.
Ah, I figured it would be. Bummer, guess I'll just have to save up for a bit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Andrigaar posted:

Dave Gibbons of Watchmen likes it too. Care to elaborate why? I'm rather curious.

It has everything!

http://i51.tinypic.com/zlak3b.jpg

Tones! I no longer need to worry about wasting my precious precious nibs!

Looking through all the options its like "Everything I could ever need to use for making a manga is right here...."

Although for actually drawing, sketchbook pro had a better feel but was feature and user friendliness lacking.

The difference between MS and PS is that with Photoshop it's a program that I've never used before and wouldn't know where to begin to use its features and then translate those features to something relevent to drawing a manga.

With MS it skips that step, now its I don't know how to use all of its features but at least I know its directly for drawing manga and thus don't need that translation so to speak.

That and I ordered "Manga Studio For Dummies" for like 10$ which is basically a Studio Tutorial and a Manga Tutorial in One basically.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009
Good to hear it's working out for you. Sketchbook Pro is able to do some impressive things if you really get to know the software and start making custom brushes. I agree that it's feature lacking, it doesn't bother me because PS is able to compensate for any of it's shortcomings. It sure helps that they're cross compatible as well. As far as user friendliness goes, I agree it certainly could use improvement in this area and hopefully the next version will address this. The biggest problem I have with it is a glitch with the crosshair and the brush where they are misaligned when I have scroll bars enabled. I really hope Autodesk sends a patch to fix this.

Photoshop certainly has a learning curve. It's not hard to learn, but it does take a []while[/] to learn and even more time to know how to make it's tools do what you want in a piece. If you ever become more serious with your hobby you'll probably find yourself getting this at some point, it's an excellent fallback to have even when it's not your main software. I say that because if something goes wrong or you need to do something really specific, PS is capable of fixing the problem or giving you that specific need.

MS sounds like it's good and I hope to see some cool stuff from you!

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010
Hello, I've got some questions about a Wacom tablet and I hope people in this thread can help me!

I work at a computer store and we frequently have people bring in "junk" for us to get rid of for them through our recyclers and such. Today, a man brought in a lot of "junk", and among it was a Wacom Intuos3 tablet that appears to be in good condition, although without a pen. When I plug it into my computer, its blue light turns on, and when I plugged it into a computer running Vista it actually installed the tablet. We couldn't get it to work, however, using other pens from tablets in our store.

Am I doing something wrong? Is it absolutely necessary to download software/drivers to see if this works? Will it work ONLY with Wacom pens?

Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: Downloaded a driver from the Wacom website and now the scroll function works, as well as the control, shift, and alt keys near the scroll area. The space key, however, I can't get to work, and the tablet itself is still not working with the pen from another type of tablet. Any opinions/advice?

Purple Rain Man fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jan 20, 2011

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
intuous 3 tablets will only work with intuous 3 pens.

Purple Rain Man
Aug 17, 2010

gmc9987 posted:

intuous 3 tablets will only work with intuous 3 pens.

Okay, good to know! I have a friend who told me that the media lab at his college uses Intuos3 tablets, so since it appears to be working when plugged into the USB (except the space button), I think my next step is to test it out with an Intuos3 pen at that lab before buying one online, just to be positive it works.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Cubemario posted:

Good to hear it's working out for you. Sketchbook Pro is able to do some impressive things if you really get to know the software and start making custom brushes. I agree that it's feature lacking, it doesn't bother me because PS is able to compensate for any of it's shortcomings. It sure helps that they're cross compatible as well. As far as user friendliness goes, I agree it certainly could use improvement in this area and hopefully the next version will address this. The biggest problem I have with it is a glitch with the crosshair and the brush where they are misaligned when I have scroll bars enabled. I really hope Autodesk sends a patch to fix this.

Photoshop certainly has a learning curve. It's not hard to learn, but it does take a []while[/] to learn and even more time to know how to make it's tools do what you want in a piece. If you ever become more serious with your hobby you'll probably find yourself getting this at some point, it's an excellent fallback to have even when it's not your main software. I say that because if something goes wrong or you need to do something really specific, PS is capable of fixing the problem or giving you that specific need.

MS sounds like it's good and I hope to see some cool stuff from you!

Aye thanks, big thing holding me back right now is that it appears that drawing straight smooth lines or curves is actually a whole lot harder then I remembered, it seems to naturally 'wobble' on me and different postures/pen grip, I don't think it is a stress or nervousness issue, I just haven't had a history of drawing really.

The alternative is to use shape tools which I'm told it may take months or years to learn the muscle memory to get as good as anyways so might as well, just that I'm having trouble in any of the programs figuring out how to 'adjust' it so that say instead of a straight line I can grab at it and make it a curve, still trying to figure that out, I can do that in inkscape just fine but inkscape doesnt like to smoothly work with the tablet, very jerky.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2cxdow1.jpg

Example of my issue above, top left area is using the shape tools for contrast.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009
Just upgraded from an old worn Graphire 4 to an Intuos 4 medium and I'm completely in love. How do you guys go about adjusting the minimum pressure for Photoshop work though? I dislike having to press so hard and/or use gigantic brushes to colour anything at all.

Cubemario
Apr 3, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Lines and contrast problems.

For drawing straight lines and getting the contrast you want, hold the shift key down and that works. In any software I know about anyway. Nobody should be expected to draw a straight line without a tool of some sort, that's why traditional artists use rulers.

Shape tools can be useful and in my opinion..when you're working on digital art, the results are what matter, not the methods. The best advice I could give is pick what works for you and don't be afraid to use your creativity in methods.

I started just about as beginner you can get in art only around a month ago. I couldn't draw anything right, even basic shapes like a circle were hard to achieve. People would laugh at my drawings and I took an 8 week art course. I had a terrible teacher, but even then I was the slowest in the class. That experience in general ruined art for me for a year. However I picked it up again recently and have been at it on a decent basis. I still draw and now making shapes isn't so hard and it's getting easier (things are actually looking like things now). The muscle memory and coordination will develop, be patient and give it time. Making truly perfect line quality freehand comes with much practice and patience.

On line adjustment, you could try the smear tool. I don't know if MS has it, but SBP and PS do.

To help line quality, remember that you can build upon lines and do soft erasing to remove parts of a line gradually. Such as when a line is too thick or high in contrast, or to even smooth out your lines. Never forget that you can use layers and lower the opacity/fill of your lines, this is handy for fading all of the line art on that layer in one adjustment.

some dillweed
Mar 31, 2007

Watchlar posted:

Just upgraded from an old worn Graphire 4 to an Intuos 4 medium and I'm completely in love. How do you guys go about adjusting the minimum pressure for Photoshop work though? I dislike having to press so hard and/or use gigantic brushes to colour anything at all.
Somebody posted it earlier, but here's the ConceptArt thread about lowering the overall required pressure while still keeping a linear response curve: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154862.

Here's the direct link to the guide: http://junkyardsam.blogspot.com/2009/02/wacom-cintiq-driver-manual-adjustment.html.

I set mine to 75%, which seems pretty good so far and is definitely better than the default.

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Raenir Salazar posted:

wobbles and jitters

In illustrator, and probably others, you can adjust the Fidelity and Smoothness on your brush tool. So if you wobble and jitter it'll work out those kinks for you. I do believe you're gonna give up some accuracy for it, but the lines will look good.

In illustrator just double click the brush tool to bring up the options.

Sewer Cartographer
Aug 23, 2003
i like to watch.....stuff
I've had an Intuos 3 for years now, and man that thing is a workhorse. The only time it failed on me was when my idiot friend spilled a drink over it.
Good thing Wacom has very good customer service.
I had no reciept, no warranty (I bought it off a coworker), and they only charged about 40 dollars for the repair.
Which is pretty good compared to the cost of the drat thing.

Also, I tried using a Cintiq and it's not as great as I thought it would be.

After using a Intuos for so long, directly drawing on the monitor felt weird.
First of all my hand would always get in the way of what I was doing and either my hand would get sore from drawing or my neck would hurt if I put the Cintiq on my lap.
Anyways, just my two cents about the whole tablet thing.

Snooty
Jun 25, 2009

Some dillweed posted:

Somebody posted it earlier, but here's the ConceptArt thread about lowering the overall required pressure while still keeping a linear response curve: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=154862.

Here's the direct link to the guide: http://junkyardsam.blogspot.com/2009/02/wacom-cintiq-driver-manual-adjustment.html.

I set mine to 75%, which seems pretty good so far and is definitely better than the default.

Thank you! Sent this along to every Wacom user in my class since a lot of people have been pondering this exact thing.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Sewer Cartographer posted:

Also, I tried using a Cintiq and it's not as great as I thought it would be.

Did you use the 12wx or the 21ux? Major differences.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Manga Studio for Dummies finally arrived! *Puts on sunglasses*

Yeah!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RizieN
May 15, 2004

and it was still hot.

Watchlar posted:

Thank you! Sent this along to every Wacom user in my class since a lot of people have been pondering this exact thing.

I'm actually going to do just the opposite...I need to set the threshold for very light strokes to be greater, so many times I want a nice thin stroke but I get thick rear end circle strokes and poo poo...