Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Here's an easier program to change your pressure curve and the pressure needed to get max output.

The page about doing it manually in order to save pen nibs 404'd, so this seems like a much easier replacement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

tarepanda posted:

SAI is one of the ones I tried. I've tried drawing with Task Manager open and whatever application I'm using tends to jump up to 80+% usage, which is absolutely ridiculous.

What happens when you drag a line using a mouse/trackpad instead of the stylus? I am also using Win7-64 and have an old Core Duo in my Thinkpad, but never have substantial brush lag, even at large resolutions.

Listerine
Jan 5, 2005

Exquisite Corpse
Does anyone have any experience with the smaller cintiq, the 12wx, and could give comments? I read that the screen wasn't so hot.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Listerine posted:

Does anyone have any experience with the smaller cintiq, the 12wx, and could give comments? I read that the screen wasn't so hot.

I had no trouble with the screen display-wise, and it fit on my lap if I wanted to kick my feet on my desk and draw that way--though it got a bit warm.

The outside 1/4" or so was completely useless for me though. I dunno if that's a hardware or driver problem, but at the edge of the display your cursor will wiggle/jitter. It was a guaranteed problem, though it's not that big of a deal. I sold mine off because the screen was too small.

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010
I'm new to this digital artwork game, having spent most of my drawing days dicking around with pencil and paper. I'm not really drawing a lot anymore since I now sped most of my time trying to tackle uni work, so am I right in assuming that something like the Bamboo line would be more geared towards my sort of use?

On that note, I have been looking at the Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch tablet. Any opinions on this? I've garnered some mixed reviews on the Bamboo line in this thread (although the more negative side of things probably came from the super pros), so could I please get a really definitive end-all verdict on this? Also, am I right that there's only one size for this tablet (rather than small/medium/large)?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Chroisman posted:

could I please get a really definitive end-all verdict on this?

There isn't one. It depends on the person's skill level and expectations.

The Bamboo comes in various sizes depending on which one you get.

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool

Chroisman posted:

I'm new to this digital artwork game, having spent most of my drawing days dicking around with pencil and paper. I'm not really drawing a lot anymore since I now sped most of my time trying to tackle uni work, so am I right in assuming that something like the Bamboo line would be more geared towards my sort of use?

On that note, I have been looking at the Bamboo Fun Pen & Touch tablet. Any opinions on this? I've garnered some mixed reviews on the Bamboo line in this thread (although the more negative side of things probably came from the super pros), so could I please get a really definitive end-all verdict on this? Also, am I right that there's only one size for this tablet (rather than small/medium/large)?

Thanks in advance for any help given.

I got the regular bamboo pen & touch this weekend and I love it. I'm in your position too, used to draw a ton in pencil and paper but stopped once I got to college. I'm not an artist by trade but I like to sit down and draw things, and it's cool to use the tablet like a giant touchpad. Also handy to scroll/rotate things in drawing programs. It's a good size for my monitor imo (1680x1050) and it doesn't feel cramped like my old graphire3. I'm happy with it and you probably would be too. :)

Chroisman
Mar 27, 2010

tarepanda posted:

Advice

Yo, imma blob posted:

Advice

Sweet, thanks guys. I'll probably be getting a bamboo then.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Yah, I couple years ago I needed to start drawing on my computer for a class and I found the Bamboo Fun on sale for ~49 bucks at a nearby Best Buy. It was a dinky little thing but great to learn on. I've since upgraded to an Intuos 4 and donated my old Bamboo to my cousin.

Basically, the Bamboo was great to learn on, I used it a ton in Photoshop and sculpting in 3d. Now my Intuos is super cool, but theres no way I would've dropped that kind of dough on something I didn't know how to use!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Alright, I was going to get a tablet soon-ish, but I had a couple of questions.

First, is it better to get a Bamboo than any other tablet if I'm going for a cheap entry-level tablet?

Second, would a Bamboo be sufficient for something like pixel art, photo manipulation and basic 3D modeling in ZBrush?

I've drawn a bit, had classes in college and I'm better than average, but I'm not really looking to get into digital art. Mainly I wanted something cheap but reliable for touch-up work or light doodling, and mostly stick to physical drawing or painting.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Tewratomeh posted:

First, is it better to get a Bamboo than any other tablet if I'm going for a cheap entry-level tablet?

Second, would a Bamboo be sufficient for something like pixel art, photo manipulation and basic 3D modeling in ZBrush?

I've drawn a bit, had classes in college and I'm better than average, but I'm not really looking to get into digital art. Mainly I wanted something cheap but reliable for touch-up work or light doodling, and mostly stick to physical drawing or painting.

I think I had a similar perspective and expectations as you have. I have also had the cheaper non-Wacom tablets and I can say that YES, you do want to get a Wacom. Bamboos are great, especially if you have used lesser tablets before. I love mine. I don't feel bad if it sits unused for days (months) because I didn't go broke on it, and I know it is going to work when I pick it up again.

You may think that you want the largest/cheapest tablet for your dollar, but you don't. You want the Wacom that fits your budget and that's that. Reliability always outweighs surface area in my thinking.

If you can't justify dropping $100 for a Bamboo, then look into a used one.

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Tewratomeh posted:

I got the "Bamboo FUN" for around 50 bucks, and used it for Photoshop painting, general digital drawing, and mainly 3d zBrush Sculpting.

It was a bit small, but worked well for someone like me that had never used one. It certainly convinced me that they were worth getting used to! Great for learning.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

What's the learning curve for tablets in general? I've just received a Bamboo tablet, and one thing I've noticed about it is that it doesn't really feel at all like regular drawing. I guess that's to be expected but I thought it'd be a little more "natural" than this.

I guess it's the cheapness of the entry-level tablet I'm using, I don't know. I'm just a little underwhelmed so far. It's pretty good for Photoshopping though, like making masks and cutting and pasting. Definitely feels better than using a mouse. I'll play with it a bit more and see how it grows on me.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Tewratomeh posted:

What's the learning curve for tablets in general? I've just received a Bamboo tablet, and one thing I've noticed about it is that it doesn't really feel at all like regular drawing. I guess that's to be expected but I thought it'd be a little more "natural" than this.

I guess it's the cheapness of the entry-level tablet I'm using, I don't know. I'm just a little underwhelmed so far. It's pretty good for Photoshopping though, like making masks and cutting and pasting. Definitely feels better than using a mouse. I'll play with it a bit more and see how it grows on me.

Think of it like blind contour drawing.

If you have no idea what that is, it's when you look at your subject and have absolutely none of your pad/paper/whatever in your field of view and you draw it anyway. It's an eye>brain>hand relationship.

I'm too much of a pansy rear end to really buckle down and practice it, but it's important for figure drawing all the way to architecture.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Andrigaar posted:

Think of it like blind contour drawing.

If you have no idea what that is, it's when you look at your subject and have absolutely none of your pad/paper/whatever in your field of view and you draw it anyway. It's an eye>brain>hand relationship.

I'm too much of a pansy rear end to really buckle down and practice it, but it's important for figure drawing all the way to architecture.

Yeah, it's kind of like that except your drawing is in your line of sight at all times. You still get that "disconnect" at first between your eyes and hand. I guess it just takes a while to overcome it.

I know that one thing I never really practiced during my time drawing was "blind" drawing of any kind. I'm decent at drawing, but despite all my teachers stressing the importance of not looking at what you're drawing I couldn't help but focus on what's right in front of me. I guess with a tablet it's technically no longer right in front of you.

Edit: Alright, using Art Rage with the pencil tool makes a big, big difference. I'm actually amazed at how well it works. I was doing a contour drawing of something in my room almost as well as I would've done with pencil and paper. I'm impressed... think I underestimated this cheapie tablet.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 5, 2011

Britt Burns
Nov 24, 2007
Biscuit Hider
I just got my Intuos4 small in the mail yesterday and I'm officially in love :allears: After reading this thread I was worried that the small might be too small, but I'm happy to report that it totally isn't. I took the thread's advice and brought my tablet to work so that I could use it instead of my mouse and I find that I've acclimated nicely. Thanks, thread!

Now all I have to do is practice technique so that I can be a less sucky artist. :dance:

A Fistful of Owls
Sep 2, 2006

I remember the day you followed me home.
I have an old Graphire 4 that I used to use with Photoshop CS2 all the time. I hadn't used it since I got a computer with Windows 7 but i tried to use it for a project recently and as far as I can tell from Wacom's website I have to use the Bamboo driver for it. Well, now it works in every program except Photoshop - it even recognizes the inputs and the pressure levels in PS just fine but it restricts the cursor to a small portion of the screen.

Does anybody know what's up and/or how I could possibly fix that?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Though I love my cintiq 12wx, I very much want to upgrade to the new 21 inch cintiq. If anyone is interested in a (slightly) used 12wx, please PM me. I am in Los Angeles but I am willing to ship most places. Wanted to ask you guys before attempting ebay.

(Feel free to PM me about details)

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 16, 2011

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

sigma 6 posted:

Though I love my cintiq 12wx, I very much want to upgrade to the new 21 inch cintiq. If anyone is interested in a (slightly) used 12wx, please PM me. I am in Los Angeles but I am willing to ship most places. Wanted to ask you guys before attempting ebay.

(Feel free to PM me about details)

Hey possible silly question- for replacement pens for the 12 can I just use one from the other ones? Everyone sells pens for the 21ux but none are labelled for the 12.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Actually I have found that the Wacom Intuos 4 stylus does work with the Cintiq. Not sure about any other ones however. I am pretty sure the intuos 3's do not work.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Cintiq 12wx users, do you have issues with colour accuracy on your tablets? I do and it's making GBS threads the hell out of me. There seems to be a particular issue when it's trying to display stuff in the red-purple-blue range that cant be corrected no matter how much I fiddle with the curves or using a color calibrator.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

I have never had any color problems but my tablet will flash "out of sync" easily. This is because I am running a non powered video splitter however, so I don't think it always gets the signal strength it needs and then I need to restart etc.

Does anyone know of any vendor that sells 21 inch cintiqs that aren't back ordered? Seems like they are out of stock almost everywhere and where they aren't there is a sizeable markup.

sigma 6 fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 13, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

It's the most annoying thing, but I found a workaround after trying to calibrate it for the last few hours. I just set up a proof profile in Photoshop using the calibration settings. If I cant get the cintiq to display a correctly calibrated image, at least I can get photoshop to duplicate what I'm seeing on it when I export the image.:doh:

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Jesus . . . Amazon is $200 less than my local vendor (Mac Hollywood) for the 21 inch cintiq but there is a 2-4 month wait for shipping! :bang:

Might as well just go ahead and pay the extra just to be able to go pick it up in person when it arrives.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

sigma 6 posted:

Jesus . . . Amazon is $200 less than my local vendor (Mac Hollywood) for the 21 inch cintiq but there is a 2-4 month wait for shipping! :bang:

Might as well just go ahead and pay the extra just to be able to go pick it up in person when it arrives.

My 3-month wait was about 1.5 months this winter. The 2-4 month estimate is probably if no one in front of you gives up and cancels.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
Is Wacom planning on issuing another Cintiq refresh anytime soon? 2 to 4 months is a drat long time.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I prepaid for one from a local vendor and waited months and months and months...Then I put my name on every e-mail alert list for online sellers. When one finally came up I jumped on it and received it within a week, and got a refund from the original vendor (too late, guys!).

I don't believe they're planning a refresh, the last model was pretty much fixed for a number of years, and they only just upgraded them to Intuos4 sensors.

Halx
Jun 13, 2002

sigma 6 posted:

Does anyone know of any vendor that sells 21 inch cintiqs that aren't back ordered? Seems like they are out of stock almost everywhere and where they aren't there is a sizeable markup.

Wacom has facing supply shortages for key components related to the screen for a while now. Unfortunately these have have been exacerbated recently by the Japan earthquake.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.

neonnoodle posted:

I prepaid for one from a local vendor and waited months and months and months...Then I put my name on every e-mail alert list for online sellers. When one finally came up I jumped on it and received it within a week, and got a refund from the original vendor (too late, guys!).

I don't believe they're planning a refresh, the last model was pretty much fixed for a number of years, and they only just upgraded them to Intuos4 sensors.

Thanks for the info, I guess I'll order a 21UX and be patient. Sucks to hear about the supply issues, but I'm in no particular rush. I did use an Intuos before and although the "disconnect" wasn't unbearable I can see myself saving a lot of time and effort by being able to draw directly onto a screen.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

Halx posted:

Wacom has facing supply shortages for key components related to the screen for a while now. Unfortunately these have have been exacerbated recently by the Japan earthquake.

That's true. Mac Hollywood said exactly the same thing. Waiting on parts due to the Japan disaster, yadda, yadda. Sounds like I should just save the 200$ and order on Amazon, knowing that the wait will probably be about the same regardless.

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

drat it. How long before we have multitouch Wacom's and at what (ridiculous) price point?

http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/12/wacom-cintiq-21ux-multitouch-tablet-caught-in-the-wilderness-of/

sina
Mar 28, 2009
I have an Intuos 3. I recently got a new HDD and "upgraded" to Windows 7. Any idea which file on my old drive has my Wacom preferences? I had the pen and tablet buttons set up just right...

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!

sigma 6 posted:

WTF is a 9mm? Or were you talking about a gun?
Think of it as "hardware piracy," as in:

:v:: "When you get down to it, is 'hardware piracy' really theft?"

:eng99:: "Really?"

:v:: "Really!"

:eng99:: ":suicide:"

Wallet posted:

This may sound like a really stupid question but how is the mouse on the Intuos 4? I'm thinking about getting a new one (for home). The older model (really old, it was free) I have right now has the worst mouse I've ever used, and I would literally rather go back to a ball mouse than try to do anything with it. Are the newer ones any better?

A few months ago I made the switch to Magic Trackpad as my primary interface device. I've just recently gotten back into "gaming," (read: "sporadic sessions of Portal 2"), so before I went out and bought a new mouse I remembered my Intuos4S came with a mouse. It works fine for me. Two discrete buttons, and a clickable wheel are enough for my casual play. I set the sensitivity pretty high so I don't end up mousing beyond limits of the usable surface. All in all, I don't feel the need to purchase a dedicated gaming mouse; but then again I've been rolling strictly Bluetooth mice for several years, so my standards may not be commensurate with your needs. Plus, no batteries!

I'm of the belief that you can't buy the Intuos without the mouse included, so you can always get another mouse and not feel like you wasted money. You're not buying the Intuos for the mouse anyways, I'd imagine.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I _really_ want a Cinteq nowadays.

I've been mostly been fooling around with MangaStudio 4.0 for a while now and thinking of trying out Photoshop, I have CS3 Extended edition, looking at the FredArt faq I noticed the guy apparently has his own custom pencil settings, anyone know what those settings are and how to input them into PS? (As seen here) Thanks!

Also is there a way to set up a display for safe/work area? MS has this on by default.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You can set them up safe/work areas pretty easily using various methods. Overlay layers, rulers all work. There's also presets that'll generate them automatically.

Brush settings are accessed through the brush window or F5 pulls it up.

I've got a Cintiq 12wx but the colour issues are driving me crazy. As a consequence I mostly use it for black and white sketching then either colour it in illustrator, or if I'm painting I paint it up in photoshop, then have to manually adjust the color mix, because it's riduculously fiddly for some reason. Apparently the 21-inch cintiqs have better color fidelity.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

quote:

Brush settings are accessed through the brush window or F5 pulls it up.

Yeah I got to this point I'm just lost at how to get the settings to his thickness/hardness/color(?) settings as the interface is fairly alien to me.

I wonder if there's any cheap way to get a Cintiq. Used? Ebay?

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

E:nm

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Jul 10, 2011

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Yeah I got to this point I'm just lost at how to get the settings to his thickness/hardness/color(?) settings as the interface is fairly alien to me.

I wonder if there's any cheap way to get a Cintiq. Used? Ebay?

Just click through the settings. They're pretty self explanatory. Most settings can be configured to a random jitter, or take feeds from the pen, pressure, rotation, direction, etc. Mainly I play with these and tie them to pressure and pen tilt.

Brush Tip Shape affects the basic size, orientation and shape of the brush
Shape dynamics: Size and rotation variation.
Transfer: Opacity of the brush

If I want more texture to it, I'll turn on the texture setting and scale down the pattern used.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Any of those tablet PC's any good as a economical/low budget alternative to a Cintiq?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any of those tablet PC's any good as a economical/low budget alternative to a Cintiq?

Yes and no. First of all, never ever get a tablet PC powered by an N-Trig digitizer. They are bad. Only get a Wacom-powered one.

That said, even the Wacom Penabled system is a rather mediocre digitizer compared to the Intuos or even the newer Bamboo systems. They have not updated the Penabled hardware in probably 15 years. It senses 256 levels of pressure, and you have to bear down rather hard to get it to register the first level of pressure. It's just not very sensitive.

HOWEVER, the amount of accuracy you gain by being able to work directly on screen is invaluable. Even if the sensitivity is sort of stiff and frustrating at times, it's still worth it. I worked with a Lenovo X61T for the last several years as my sole machine until I got a new desktop and a big Cintiq.

The Lenovo worked great for all my digital art needs. The sticking point became the processing power of the device. It was just too slow to run with high-resolution files, and the integrated Intel graphics were not compatible with OpenGL 2.0, so it meant a lot of newer programs/features just didn't work.

I would still recommend a tablet PC as an intermediate system, provided you can get one for a good price (like, $1,000 or less). If you're paying more, it's a waste because you should save that money and put it toward a big Cintiq.