Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is there a drawing tablet I can get on a ~$300 budget that will actually mimic the tactile feel/friction of pen & paper drawing? I do a lot of pen drawings (fineliner, sharpie, gel pen, acrylic paint pen) and would love to move to something more digital but I've struggled with tablets I tried in the ancient past not feeling enough like actual paper. Ideally if I can really mash my drat stylus into the thing to draw thick lines without damaging it that would be rad

If there's noting that's a real winner in paper-feel I suppose I'll go with a Huion too

e: A friend told me to just get any tablet and stick a piece of paper on top of it, does that actually work?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Thanks y'all, I got the Intuos Pro and a paper feel screen protector to double down. I have no clue how to use a tablet yet but it seems cool

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Leng posted:

Trip report: I made the mistake of walking into a store to try out drawing with the latest iPad Pro and Apple Pencil 2. It is so much fun!!!

Still don't have enough of a budget for that, though I think I could scrape enough together for an older iPad and Apple Pencil. How much of a difference is there if I got say, a 1st or 2nd gen iPad Pro with the 1st gen Apple Pencil?

Edit: and do the specs of the iPad Pro really give it that much of an advantage over using a normal iPad or iPad air?

Look into used/refurbished older generation iPad Pros (like the 9.7"), it might be worth saving up for one. I went through the same thing, someone let me try their ipad pro + apple pencil for 5 minutes and I said "Yeah I need one now." I picked up a used one for around $300 on Amazon and couldn't be happier with it as a drawing tool (I use it for literally nothing except Procreate).

But that being said I can't answer your question re: iPad Pro vs Air/Normal. I don't know anything about Apple products, this is the only one I own and I bought it blindly because I was shopping for a tablet already and fell in love with it in those first 5 minutes.

E: I got a first-gen Apple Pencil because someone told me that a second gen pencil wouldn't work with my older ipad (not sure if that's true) and it's great.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 15, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

If you can tolerate the ~gamer RGB~ I'd suggest looking into "gamer" peripherals. Yeah, yeah, I know - but there are a lot of compact gamer keyboard or gamer keypads that are designed to maximize your reach to various hotkeys in as little space as possible and on some of them the keys are fully bindable to any macros or hotkeys you want.
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gamer+keypad
That search will show both compact keyboards and one-handed keypads. Now that everyone is a gamer, gamer peripherals are not nearly as expensive as they used to be, you could get both for under $100 and have buttons available to you on both sides of the cintiq. I've never used one of the gamer keypad things myself but I've seen favorable reviews of them by people in the Games forum who use them.

From personal experience; It's smaller than the one you mentioned, but I accidentally bought this keyboard/mouse combo for $35 without realizing the keyboard was Tenkeyless (missing the numpad, so more compact) so I gave the keyboard away but it worked well and its new owner is happy with it, and it's significantly smaller than a normal keyboard:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071CZQ3RF

This specific model isn't sold without the mouse combo but Redragon has a lot of low-budget mechanical keyboards that work well for similar price points. The mouse has been pretty solid too, especially given the price. They're the only brand of "gamer" peripheral I've ever used so I can't compare them to other options but I've been happy with every Redragon keyboard/mouse I've bought. They're cheap mechanical keyboards that have never failed on me, I always lose them before they wear out. Their biggest drawback is that (at least that mouse/kb combo) has no way to customize or disable the lights on it.

(I would of course recommend not purchasing things through amazon whenever possible, just using those links to highlight potential products)

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 14, 2021

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been drawing on an ipad pro for a little over a year now, and despite switching to fresh nibs on my apple pencil regularly I've managed to scratch up the screen pretty bad in some places.

Can anyone recommend a good screen protector that doesn't interfere with visibility? I tried ordering a few random ones online, one of the "paperfeel" ones had a deep blue tint to it which defeated the point of using it for art and another one had an almost frosted look to it that slightly reduced visibility, so clearly I'm not good at picking them out myself :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

sigma 6 posted:

As much as I like the ipad experience with the apple pencil and procreate I just can't justify the cost of a modern ipad if there is no pressure sensitivity with Zbrush. Yeah - I know there is Nomad but it isn't the same.

This doesn't solve the problem of pressure sensitivity in Zbrush but for what it's worth you can get a refurbished 11" ipad pro for around $250 on Amazon, I picked one up a couple years ago and it has served me very well as a dedicated drawing tablet (I don't tether it to my pc or do much digital art in general though)

If you can solve the pressure sensitivity issues with the other things people have been discussing in this thread that can save you like $550 over buying one new :shrug: