Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Any other Tablet PC users? I'm using a Toshiba Tecra M4 and am loving it. (Apart from the myriad of technical problems. Not loving those.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

You can also try looking online for tablet PCs. Second hand tablet PCs can be cheaper than new tablets (googling says one like I have is $400, and that one contains a wacom tablet), and letting you see what you are drawing on is tremendously helpful. Just be wary of technical problems.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

CannedMacabre posted:

I thought of going this rout last year, but it was hard to find one that met both my (high)needs and (low)budget at the time.

I know the HP tablet PCs that were made a few years ago should be avoided. They have a reputation for overheating a turning into a paperweight. I think there were some Toshibas with the same issue, but I can't remember the models.

Yeah, overheating is a problem. I solved this on my Toshiba by soldering a cable from one of the USB ports to the internal fan, with a switch, so I could force the fan to full on when I need. Currently, it still hangs when you try to play audio on it (no idea why), but for my purposes it's perfect, and generally runs cooler than my normal laptop. But is very very noisy.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

To be honest I think the current generation of tablet pcs have their own headaches with respect to drawing and I don't really recommend them. The problem isn't lag, it's jitter.