Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent
I have an i7 Cintiq Companion 2. The ability to connect it to your desktop and use it as a 13HD Cintiq is brilliant and is what sold me on getting one. I can take it with me to work to use, then back home for my desktop, and use it in a portable form anywhere else. I bought a few extra cables (2 each of ashort extension cord, short HDMI extension, and USB extensions) to make connecting it to my work and home desktops a lot easier without buying an extra Cintiq Connection Cable, which weren't available separately when I bought mine. I have no idea if they are available as separate accessories now but if you want to use it on several desktops regularly, you may want to pick up an extra cable or do what I did with extensions (it was actually cheaper than an extra cable, too).

I've got coworkers that bought the top-end Surface Pro 3 when they were released and they really seemed to enjoy them for a while. They really liked the stylus and work in Photoshop was very responsive after some Ntrig driver updates. They were using them all the time at work but they slowly disappeared once the novelty wore off, I think. I haven't seen them use them in at least 6 months but I've used my Companion 2 every day since I bought it in February.

My only gripe is that the battery lasts about 4 hours on average for me depending on what I'm doing but it's usually enough since I'm not sketching or working away from my desktop for that long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Teflon Don posted:

How is it? I am looking at a 22HD right now.

If you want a more portable Cintiq, I'm selling my Companion 2 in SA-Mart right now:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3771962

It's perfect for chilling and drawing on the couch with the added benefit of being able to be used as a monitor/tablet on a desktop.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Krispy Wafer posted:

The battery drains constantly because there's no off button, but it charges remarkably quick.

If you want to save your battery on the pencil, just restart your iPad. It will terminate the Bluetooth connection so it's not constantly draining. I do it every time I'm done using mine and it doesn't even take a minute to do. When I want to use it again, I just plug it in for a few seconds to turn the pencil back on and get to work.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Woodenlung posted:

What covers do you guys use for ipad 12.9 pro, that doesnt make drawing annoying? I was thinking about that logitech keyboard one, but it seems like it adds some annoying wobble.

I bought this for mine:

https://www.zugucase.com/the-muse-case-for-2018-ipad-pro-12-9-in-3rd-gen/

It's not that cheap, but it's awesome. Super stable and adjustable to multiple angles.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent
Lefty chiming in. I think my situation is a little different that yours in that it sounds like you use a mouse with your right hand. I've always used my mouse with the left and I have my cintiq situated on an arm to the left of my main monitor so I can swing it around over my mouse pad when I need it and work from there with the keyboard still on my right side. I did end up purchasing a Logitech g13 gaming keypad to use as well, though. I have it programmed with three different sets of presets and macros I frequently use in my most used programs.

Just looked up the price of one and it seems to be pretty loving ridiculous for a discontinued product but there are similar products out there still, like the Razer Tartarus v2 Gaming Keypad that's still available.

https://www.razer.com/gaming-keypads/razer-tartarus-v2/RZ07-02270100-R3U1 (May be cheaper on other sites.)

I also have an old Razer Nostromo that was given to me by a friend if you want to have it to test out. I would just charge the cost of shipping. Send me a PM if you want it.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

sigma 6 posted:

Why don't they have this for your right hand?!? I can't seem to find anywhere that has a right hand version or even anything similar for a right handed person.

There is this though https://www.newegg.com/logitech-910-002864-g600-usb-wired/p/N82E16826104674
... Which is great for the programmable keys but not ergonomic and not wireless.

Perfect thing would be right handed (I draw / paint with my left) wireless, ergonomic mouse with about 10 programmable buttons. Does this thing exist?

Honestly, the only part of the G13 I don't use is the thumb pad. It's not angled or molded for left-hand-only use and lays pretty flat. It's ambidextrous enough for me and since it's fully programmable and not just a "chopped left side of the keyboard" keypad like the cheap ones you see on Amazon, it's been perfect for me.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Coxswain Balls posted:

Someone else is selling the same tablet in the medium size but missing the pen and charge cable for $40. It's been up there for a couple weeks so I wonder if I can talk them down to $20 and have something that can stay on my desktop with the small one being for portable use. The pen I have can go back and forth between tablets, yeah?

It depends on which model it is. The newest Intuos Pros use a newer pen design that is not compatible with older models and I'm not sure if older pens will work with it. If it's an older Intuos, you shouldn't have any problems with pen compatibility and It's worth a shot.

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Macaluso posted:

I'm looking for a tablet to bring to work on days when I'm in the office. Is a version of the ipad + the apple pencil thing good or are there better alternatives? And if an ipad is good, would basically any ipad work? I ask because it seems like a common suggestion is an ipad pro which is like $800. Which is quite a lot to spend and if a regular ipad does the job with a slightly smaller screen I'd rather just do that.

From here.

You can use Apple Pencil (2nd generation) with these iPad models:

iPad mini (6th generation)
iPad Air (4th generation and later)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)
iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and later)

Apple Pencil (1st generation)

You can use Apple Pencil (1st generation) with these iPad models:

iPad mini (5th generation)
iPad (6th generation and later)
iPad Air (3rd generation)
iPad Pro 12.9-inch (1st and 2nd generation)
iPad Pro 10.5-inch
iPad Pro 9.7-inch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autojive
Jul 5, 2007
This Space for Rent

Listerine posted:

Are there any issues with running two Wacom devices on the same computer, driver-wise? I've got an old Cintiq 21 inch display and I was looking to get a 4k cintiq pro 24, and I'm wondering if I can keep using the 21 just as an extra monitor.

I have a Cintiq 22HD and a Medium Inutos Pro that I use. Never had a problem with both connected at the same time.