Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

AdamAntz posted:

Cheap tablet.

You can, of course, get some solid learning experience and have a lot of fun with a cheap tablet. However, everyone here will tell you the same thing: save your money up and buy a Wacom.

Having had 2 cheap tablets go tits up on me in the past few years, that's what I plan on doing. (I'm planning on getting an Intuos4 medium in another month.) I had a Genius G-pen and a Vistablet, they were the exact same tablet with different markings. Both have lost sensitivity in the upper regions of the drawing surface.

Lots of people here have had Intuos3s for 5+ years. I'm telling you from experience that a sub $200 tablet wont last 2 years. In the long run your money is better spent paying to have another goon buy and ship a Wacom to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Fangz posted:

You can also try looking online for tablet PCs. Second hand tablet PCs can be cheaper than new tablets (googling says one like I have is $400, and that one contains a wacom tablet), and letting you see what you are drawing on is tremendously helpful. Just be wary of technical problems.

I thought of going this rout last year, but it was hard to find one that met both my (high)needs and (low)budget at the time.

I know the HP tablet PCs that were made a few years ago should be avoided. They have a reputation for overheating a turning into a paperweight. I think there were some Toshibas with the same issue, but I can't remember the models.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
I've seen some other people around the web complain about the USB ports coming undone on the Intuos4. If you look at the user pics on Amazon you can see the poor soldering on the ports. Anyone else had this issue? Does anyone know if Wacom has addressed this?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

expunge posted:

Not sure if these have been mentioned yet, but I am just getting back into design and needed a tablet after never having used one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subdepartment.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084101

All of the reviews seem pretty good on most of them. For 40 bucks it's not too shabby I don't think. It will be here tomorrow so i can try it out.

$40 is dirt cheap, so whats to lose? However, if you do use it regularly, I imagine you too will be looking to buy a Wacom in 6 to 18 months.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Vanderdeath posted:

Hello everybody. I have a question regarding using a tablet in general. I've been dabbling in art for a while and I've been considering returning back to art school after an extended hiatus. A unique opportunity has given me the chance of obtaining an Intuos3 9x12 that was gently used by the previous owner.

I've never used tablets all that much in comparison to real media, so my question is this: How much of a difference is there between the two and is it difficult to adjust from traditional media to a digital one?

Have you ever done any drawing with a mouse? If you have ever tried (and I mean REALLY tried) to create a drawing with just using a mouse, than a tablet is easy to use. This is the perspective from which you have to look at tablets. You can't think of it as a replacement for a pencil and paper, think of it as a pencil shaped mouse. Even with the tablet, there is still a lot of "DRAW-UNDO-DRAW" that goes into making the lines look right on the screen.

That is my take on it anyway.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
Soo... Instead of saving for an Intuos4 like I had planned, I got sick of waiting and ordered a Bamboo Craft Pen/Touch. Got it for a good deal and figured that if I hated it I would sell it and go back to my plan of getting a Intuos4.

I think I am sold on this little bastard. The pressure sensitivity is similar to my old no-name tablet, but the quality is amazing. The touch pad capabilities are pretty nifty too, I don't think I have touched my mouse since hooking it up. It has multi-touch sensors, so every task can be managed one handed with just a few gestures.

If I were a professional artist, I would definitely want to have a larger, more sensitive tablet at my disposal. The new series of Bamboo is good enough for me though. If you're reading this thread and looking for a tablet under $120, then the only answer is to get the Bamboo. Low end Wacom is still a Wacom.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Tewratomeh posted:

Alright, I was going to get a tablet soon-ish, but I had a couple of questions.

First, is it better to get a Bamboo than any other tablet if I'm going for a cheap entry-level tablet?

Second, would a Bamboo be sufficient for something like pixel art, photo manipulation and basic 3D modeling in ZBrush?

I've drawn a bit, had classes in college and I'm better than average, but I'm not really looking to get into digital art. Mainly I wanted something cheap but reliable for touch-up work or light doodling, and mostly stick to physical drawing or painting.

I think I had a similar perspective and expectations as you have. I have also had the cheaper non-Wacom tablets and I can say that YES, you do want to get a Wacom. Bamboos are great, especially if you have used lesser tablets before. I love mine. I don't feel bad if it sits unused for days (months) because I didn't go broke on it, and I know it is going to work when I pick it up again.

You may think that you want the largest/cheapest tablet for your dollar, but you don't. You want the Wacom that fits your budget and that's that. Reliability always outweighs surface area in my thinking.

If you can't justify dropping $100 for a Bamboo, then look into a used one.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
24" Cintiq? Does it come with table legs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Jizz Festival posted:

Also, some of the bamboo models have touch support. I think that'd get irritating fast, since I touch my tablet a lot, but some people might find that useful.

The touch support is nice in programs that allow pinch zoom and rotation. You can also just turn it off and on when needed. Not a deal sealer/breaker by any means.