Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Dogwood Fleet posted:

I'm so glad that I own a Surface.

Can you expand on that a little bit? I'm looking at getting into digital art, and have a surface pro already. What apps and utilities do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Dogwood Fleet posted:

It was a bad attempt at a joke on Microsoft and privacy, but I adore my Surface. I've only really used Clip Studio with it though. Costco has a good deal on it right now and while extended warranties are a scam 99.99999% of the time, SquareTrade or whatever it is through Costco might be worth it.

Right on, I wondered. I've futzed around with photoshop on my surface and wasn't totally satisfied with the performance, although the pen does feel pretty good. Thanks!

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I always found the Surface 4 and 6 a bit jittery and unsatisfying to draw with, but I've heard that the Surface Pro 8 + new flat Surface pen with haptics is a vast improvement in both feel and performance. It's also worth bearing in mind that Windows 11 is a lot smoother on touch devices than Windows 10 and you can actually rotate the screen smoothly instead of the OS throwing a panic attack while it works out how to resize everything.

Another Windows alternative would be the Lenovo Yoga, there's a trade-off in weight and bulk but as it's basically still a laptop it comes in cheaper than a Surface, and I've found the pen accuracy to be decent on other Lenovo tablets.

If it's just for drawing though then either an iPad or Galaxy Tab would be better value, Windows would just be overkill. CSP works pretty much the same as the desktop version and there are plenty of alternative apps, like Procreate on iOS. I have the Galaxy Tab S7 FE and the pen accuracy is incredible, although the palm rejection kind of sucks if you don't get the pen nib over the screen first, even with a glove. It's a minor gripe though, I'm otherwise very happy with it.

The first generation of the surface pro x with the flat pen and haptics was a tremendous improvement over previous generations' pen performance, but was an ARM chipset. I haven't played with a Pro 8 yet, but it certainly stands to reason that the improved performance has carried forward. Take that with a grain of salt I suppose, since I'm not an artist, I just spend an hour or so a day working through drawabox lessons trying to learn.