Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

as long as I dont update my driver my intuos 3 should still be good, right? :o

Yes, although older driver compatibility with newer OS's is also a problem. Never update anything, ever, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Star Man posted:

Am I insane for wanting to get an Intuos Pro small or medium for what will be primarily coloring in line art?

I can certainly block in colors with a mouse, but applying values with a stylus feels has a more natural touch in my mark making.

I'm open to suggestion for an alternative. I can't draw for poo poo on a tablet and plan on doing all of my line art on paper (and because I like the eccentricity of the ink on paper), so I don't need a pen display.

I did almost exactly that for years on a $99 Intuos entry-level model, do it!

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Cephas posted:

How much of a game changer is it to have a bigger tablet? A few years ago I received a Wacom Intuos Draw, I think it's 6x8 inches. I can make art with it, but it's extremely time consuming because my lines come out really inaccurately. I'm wondering if a larger tablet will make it easier to draw since the scale would be more realistic (and maybe allow for more arm movements vs. wrist movements?)

is this a tool problem or a "get good" problem?

My own personal experience has been that you can definitely adapt to the smaller size until it feels natural, but a larger size is nicer. I found that I could draw pretty comfortably on just about every tablet I've owned, provided that the tablet was the same size as my screen or smaller - once I switched to a laptop, my giant Intuos 3 was no longer comfortable to draw on.

Now, if you're talking about the difference between drawing directly on a monitor, like with a Cintiq, and a small tablet, there's no comparison - every movement having a 1:1 correspondence with your drawing feels way better to me than any previous tablet that I drew with. But if it's the difference between a small or medium tablet, the medium definitely felt better to me but the small was ultimately workable after some adjustments to my drawing style.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Hello all-knowing thread. We want to give a wacom tablet to a child and are now looking for the right one. Girlfriend had a 7 year old tablet that was a bit of a pain to work with, especially since it only has VGA passthrough or whatever it is called, so a modern one with HDMI would be better. I know nothing about these but I understand there are those with a screen (which we want) and those without (you look at your PC's screen for the results). I guess I have two questions:

Are there tablets for drawing that do not require a PC all the time? I mean these things already have a screen and the hardware to recognise input from the pen. AFAIK there was this "Wacom Companion" but it looks like it was phased out. I heard another could be used as an Android tablet. Are these recommended? I stumbled on a tablet by Huion but it seems more difficult to set up and use. We really want something that won't be a hassle to set up and use. So are there alternative products to Wacom from more affordable brands? What software is recommended (free/ not-free)?

Sorry these are vague questions, but perhaps they come down to simple answers. Thanks anyway.

I'd give Lofi's answer some serious consideration - how old the child in question is is going to affect how long they're going to use the tablet, as well as how likely they are to break it through misuse/dropping it/yanking the cords out so the connectors break/etc. Digital drawing doesn't magically make you a better artist either, so if this is a child who wants to learn how to draw as opposed to one who is already drawing regularly, this could end up being a big de-motivator since drawing digitally has a big learning curve associated with it.
  • A tablet without a screen connects to the computer through USB, and small ones can be found for less than $100 USD.
  • A monitor that you connect to your computer and draw directly on will need a USB connection and an HDMI connection. The cheapest Wacom monitor of this style starts at about $550 USD, other brands like Huion will run cheaper for the same size but still multiple hundreds of dollars.
  • The Wacom MobileStudio Pro is the current offering from Wacom that is an all-in-one portable computer and drawing tablet, it starts at ~$3500 USD.
  • As others mentioned, getting an iPad with an Apple Pencil is probably the cheapest all-around option for an all-in-one tablet/computer, and that has the benefit of also being useful for things other than drawing. You could even go the refurbished route, and find an older model on the cheap if you miss out on the Black Friday sales.
I wouldn't personally give my kid a specialized tool worth multiple hundreds of dollars until they were well into their teenage years and had proven they could handle them and had a need for them, but a small tablet of their own as an add-on to your current computer setup or an Apple Pencil and drawing app they could screw around with if you already had an iPad around for general use would be pretty reasonable in my eyes.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

Koramei posted:

I don’t really understand why everyone is down on the photoshop subscription model, is everyone forgetting how the buy-once versions used to be like $800? Paying $120 annually by comparison is just like...I don’t really understand how anyone can think that is worse. Unless you would have only bought it once a decade before it’s not costing any more money, and this way you get the updates too (and while this year’s kinda blew, the 3 years prior had all been amazing stuff).

Sucks that a lot of other companies have started going subscription for things that weren’t stupidly expensive before, but I don’t really get why adobe is always the scapegoat here.

The reason so many people are down is that it's fully possible to build a creative career using Photoshop without having the latest version, and the subscription model locks you into paying for the most recent versions of the software whether you update on your computer or not. Also Adobe has started retroactively applying their "software as a license/service" model to older versions of their apps, and have at least talked about suing people who are using software they bought outright from 9 or 10 years ago before they started their cloud subscription service.

Subscription models can work well but Adobe is attempting to make their model the only option, even for people who bought the software before it was a thing. It does offer some benefits but I'm not super keen about being forced to pay for updates that I may not even be able to use depending on how old my computer and OS is.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
Yeah, like - it makes sense for some people to lease cars. But for the majority of car owners, leasing is a terrible financial move. Adobe's model is the equivalent of forcing everyone who needs a car to lease one instead of being able to buy it outright, while also claiming that anyone who previously bought a car needs to give them back the title to their car so that Adobe can lease it to them again after they've already paid it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
iPad + Pencil is exactly what you want.