Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

gmc9987 posted:

The one with the spring is meant to emulate a felt-tip marker, don't know specifically about the others. They give you so many because the intuous 4 eats stylus tips for breakfast.

IIRC, the spring-loaded one is supposed to emulate a metal-nibbed pen. They call it the "inking" nib, so it's sproingy like a dip pen.

The felt-tip nib is for felt-tip fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Logic Lies posted:

The wifey just got me a Intuos 4 medium for Christmas I am just wondering what everyone prefers for software. I saw Artrage mentioned earlier in this thread and there is Sketchbook Pro from autodesk that does the same thing. Anyone have any ideas on which one is better?

Artrage is designed for simulating conventional art supplies, like oil paint, chalk, smudging sticks, etc. Things can end up looking a bit cheesy, but if you know what you're doing it can be powerful. It's kind of resource intensive and doesn't do well with large print-resolution files, so if you're working on something you want to print out, you're better served with Photoshop.

Sketchbook Pro is designed to be light, perform fast and have a minimal interface. The idea is that you use it to do your preliminary sketching without the glut of a full-featured program like Photoshop; but it's generally assumed that you'll take what you did in Sketchbook and bring it into PS to finish it. The tools in Sketchbook Pro do not bear any resemblance to their real-world counterparts.

There is also Corel Painter Sketchpad, which is like a hybrid of Artrage and Sketchbook -- light interface, but with tools designed to look more like natural media.

Photoshop can do pretty much anything the above can do and more. It has the best brush engine and with the right configuration of tools you can simulate pretty much any natural media, even watercolors (I'm in the process of making a tutorial on this, btw). NKS3 is also a nice free set of natural media presets for Photoshop.

tl;dr: PHOTOSHOP>EVERYTHING

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 26, 2010

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Space-Bird posted:

I know a lot of people are weary of the Intuos 4 due to the wearing out of the nibs, but I haven't used a 4 yet, myself.

A tutorial for manually changing the pressure curve -- this will mean you have to exert less to get the highest pressure. This will help reduce the wear on nibs/surface.

I am on a Lenovo X61T, although I use an Intuos3 6x8 at work. I'm waiting on the big Cintiq, but it's about a 2 month wait...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

neonnoodle posted:

Photoshop can do pretty much anything the above can do and more. It has the best brush engine and with the right configuration of tools you can simulate pretty much any natural media, even watercolors (I'm in the process of making a tutorial on this, btw).

I finished my tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnRn402WuUk

Parts 2-5 are on my Youtube channel.

I hope ya'alls find this useful.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

lu_ducky posted:

I have a question for anyone about this, but I was going through this tutorial to change the settings and I'm stuck on Step 5.

I can't find this folder or data file. I tried re-installing the drivers for the tablet and that didn't help. So I'm kinda stuck right now... help?

Which OS are you using?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

lu_ducky posted:

Windows 7

In mine, it's in C:\Users\[YOUR_NAME_HERE]\AppData\Roaming\WTablet

*edit Oh yeah, and you might have to enable hidden folders to see this.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 3, 2011

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Andrigaar posted:

Is the outer 1/4"-1/2" functional or still wobbly? That's why I sold mine off and opted to pay a used car's fee for a 21UX... that Amazon is still sitting on the order for for obvious reasons :sigh:

Wacom's supplier for the special kind of glass the 21UX uses can't make the screens fast enough.

:whip: COME ON GUYS GET ON THAT poo poo I AM VERY INPORTANT

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jan 4, 2011

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

The Dave posted:

Hey Guys,

So I'm a typical Web Designer, not an artist at all. I was thinking about picking up a tablet just to help out with paths in Illustrator when making logos, but I'm wondering if getting a Intruos 4 Medium is overkill for my usage. Logo design is definitely not my meat and potatoes, I actually try to avoid it other than participating in SA-Mart logo threads when I'm bored.

Would the bamboo be more suitable for me?

You can also probably find a used Intuos3 being sold by someone who upgraded to a 4.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Sewer Cartographer posted:

Also, I tried using a Cintiq and it's not as great as I thought it would be.

Did you use the 12wx or the 21ux? Major differences.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Vanderdeath posted:

Hello everybody. I have a question regarding using a tablet in general. I've been dabbling in art for a while and I've been considering returning back to art school after an extended hiatus. A unique opportunity has given me the chance of obtaining an Intuos3 9x12 that was gently used by the previous owner.

I've never used tablets all that much in comparison to real media, so my question is this: How much of a difference is there between the two and is it difficult to adjust from traditional media to a digital one?

The working process is completely and utterly different. Different, but not necessarily worse. As far as the difficulty of adjusting, I think it's not fundamentally different from learning any new medium. If you were a charcoal artist and took up oil painting, it would be just as bizarre and frustrating in the beginning. But the fundamentals are all the same.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

A 9mm is way cheaper than a 21UX. Plus, 9mm when you're done.

I've had my Intuos3 now for a few months and still love it. Most of the time it gets used in PS for touch-up duty, but I've been spending some free time with Painter and learning how to do that. I also picked up Crayon Physics Deluxe and that game is awesome with a tablet. The only thing I'm still on the fence about is that fancy 6d pen and a desire to have the Intuos4 pen holder. I might pick them up anyway (thx taxes!)

I looked into the 6d pen for the 21UX/I4 and was shocked and appalled to learn that they have totally altered the design from the last one. (I have the last one for the I3). In the old one, the nib was fixed, so when you rotated it, the brush rotated in relation to the physical pen itself. It works pretty well, even though it's unergonomic and lacks an eraser or a side switch.

Now they've made it so the nib can spin around inside the barrel, COMPLETELY RUINING THE ENTIRE PURPOSE! :argh: If you can twist the pen and the nib angle stays where it is on the tablet, what the hell is the point?! I talked to a Wacom rep about this and he was like, "Hmm...yeah, you're right. I wonder why they did that...?"

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

enginedriver posted:

Probably been asked a few times but is there a way to get rid of that annoying circle that pops up when you press down with the pen? I'm trying to do a fiddly bit in mudbox and it keeps loading the menu. I had a look in tablet options but cant see anything. I have an intuous 3 if that makes a difference!

Which OS?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Verkleidett posted:

I'm working on financing for a Wacom Cintiq 21ux tablet. However, my roommate asked me if they had any similar model/make of display tablets of the same type. Which got me wondering, is there another brand that makes a similar model as the Cintiq?

Basically what I'm asking if anyone knows if there is another brand to choose from.

Yes and no. Wacom's got everyone by the short hairs, basically. Non-Wacom tablets have plenty of problems even without the added complexity of a display. Even if a competing product showed up on the market, I wouldn't trust it too much until 10-15 years of proven reliability and performance.

For a while I used a 15-inch off-brand tablet screen which I bought for about $350. It was only 1024x768 and it worked OK, but the problem was that eventually the stylus stopped working, and the company that made it had changed names and incarnations so many times that there was no support whatsoever.

All that said, here is another product from the company-which-used-to-be-the-company-which-used-to-be-the-company that made my old one:

http://www.triumphboard.net/en/products/presentation-products/interactive-tablets/tb-19-lcd-tablet-monitor/

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Lazy Nezumi

This is a standalone tool which makes your mouse/tablet into a kind of towing rope for the cursor. It's great for drawing smooth curves in programs like PS where there is no averaging or smoothing.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Me again. Here's a rather nice Windows freeware program. It reminds me of Easy Paint Tool SAI, but with a slightly less clunky interface. It's very stripped down, but as a result it runs light. It has layers, a water blender and some good brush dynamic controls, but is all of 2.1MB in size.

Smoothdraw 3

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

tarepanda posted:

How do people draw anything larger than a few hundred pixels by a few hundred pixels? I tried using my Bamboo in Photoshop with a decent-sized canvas and everything slowed to a crawl. It shouldn't be my computer (i7, 4 GB RAM, discrete graphics) but this is infuriating. I was trying to write some things in Japanese and strokes were coming two seconds later than I actually drew them.

What app are you using? That shouldn't be happening.

edit* Derp, I'm an idiot. You're using PS. Still, that shouldn't be happening. Do you have the 64 bit version?

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Apr 14, 2011

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

tarepanda posted:

Yeah. I try 800 x 600 at 150 dpi and crawwwwwwwl.

That, more than anything, has kept me from picking up my tablet. I've also tried Painter and a few Japanese apps, all the same. I was wondering if Win 7 64-bit and Wacom have problems or something.

Yeah it sounds like something is eating your CPU cycles. Can you try running a really light program like Smoothdraw or Easy Paint Tool SAI with your task manager open, and see where the CPUs are going?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

tarepanda posted:

SAI is one of the ones I tried. I've tried drawing with Task Manager open and whatever application I'm using tends to jump up to 80+% usage, which is absolutely ridiculous.

What happens when you drag a line using a mouse/trackpad instead of the stylus? I am also using Win7-64 and have an old Core Duo in my Thinkpad, but never have substantial brush lag, even at large resolutions.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I prepaid for one from a local vendor and waited months and months and months...Then I put my name on every e-mail alert list for online sellers. When one finally came up I jumped on it and received it within a week, and got a refund from the original vendor (too late, guys!).

I don't believe they're planning a refresh, the last model was pretty much fixed for a number of years, and they only just upgraded them to Intuos4 sensors.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

Any of those tablet PC's any good as a economical/low budget alternative to a Cintiq?

Yes and no. First of all, never ever get a tablet PC powered by an N-Trig digitizer. They are bad. Only get a Wacom-powered one.

That said, even the Wacom Penabled system is a rather mediocre digitizer compared to the Intuos or even the newer Bamboo systems. They have not updated the Penabled hardware in probably 15 years. It senses 256 levels of pressure, and you have to bear down rather hard to get it to register the first level of pressure. It's just not very sensitive.

HOWEVER, the amount of accuracy you gain by being able to work directly on screen is invaluable. Even if the sensitivity is sort of stiff and frustrating at times, it's still worth it. I worked with a Lenovo X61T for the last several years as my sole machine until I got a new desktop and a big Cintiq.

The Lenovo worked great for all my digital art needs. The sticking point became the processing power of the device. It was just too slow to run with high-resolution files, and the integrated Intel graphics were not compatible with OpenGL 2.0, so it meant a lot of newer programs/features just didn't work.

I would still recommend a tablet PC as an intermediate system, provided you can get one for a good price (like, $1,000 or less). If you're paying more, it's a waste because you should save that money and put it toward a big Cintiq.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Arthe Xavier posted:

I have had an Intuos 3 for some years now ( I bought it when it was brand new ), and have been very pleased with it. But now I have a problem - my current pen-nib has worn out pretty bad, and I have lost my replacement nibs. Can you order nibs, or do you have to buy a new pen altogether? They're pretty expensive, I hear. :(

http://www.wacom.com/en/Products/Intuos/Accessory/Standard%20Nibs%2010%20pack.aspx

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Arthe Xavier posted:

And of course I have no idea where my pen holder is... Ah well.

Thanks for the link, neonnoodle!

The Intuos3 pen holder contains nothing

NOTHING

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

EatinCake posted:

Anyway to edit just what you've already scribbled on a layer without effecting any of the empty space? Thanks.

In the layers palette, there's a setting for each layer with a gamut checkerboard on it, it's "Lock Transparency." It works by degrees: whatever is clear will stay clear; whatever is feathered/blurry will stay that way; and whatever is solid will stay solid.

I don't understand the beginning part of what you wrote, can you post a picture to explain?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
Here I made you a tutorial:

http://www.zoepiel.com/tutorials/lineart/

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

Anyone got skype who can help a bit with PS?

Yes. PM me.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Killbot posted:

I just put down $1800 on a used Cintiq 21UX. The seller claims it's in mint condition and that she has only used it once. I hope she's right. :ohdear:
The 2010 model?

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Killbot posted:

Apparently a 24-inch Cintiq may be released soon.
:psyboom: Good Lord. The 21UX already weighs like 30 pounds. Maybe they will make one with an LED backlight? That would be the balls.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
24" Cintiq

Weighs 63 pounds.
Cannot rotate on Z axis.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Tesla Was Robbed posted:

There's no easy way to have the new Cintiq in portrait mode or in any rotational position besides landscape. I saw the demo on Engadget yesterday and was wondering how to get one of my kidneys to the black market for this, but was confused that they didn't put the thing on a nice mountable arm. I know it's heavy, but it's not out of the realm of possibility to have the thing on an arm w/ 3 axes of movement and 1 of rotation. Maybe I should just make one of those arms and sell it.

The biggest retail Ergotron arm just barely supports the 21UX. I wonder how much of that 63 pounds is the screen itself, and how much is the base...

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

For future reference do ituous4 pens work with a cintiq?

With the new 21UX, not the 12WX.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Sigma-X posted:

Is there any reason, other than cost, that I shouldn't get a Cintiq 24HD and instead get something else?

I just sold my 12WX (too small for me) to help finance a larger Cintiq. I've used a 21UX a bit and those seem fine, and in general my opinion is bigger = better - my major issue with the 12" is that your various palettes, etc, get in the way and eat so much real estate.

I'm currently without a tablet so I'd like to have one again.

I have not used the 24HD, but one difference which makes me not want it is that you can't rotate the screen itself on a central hub. I rotate my 21 all the drat time, and rotating the canvas on the screen just doesn't feel the same.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

systran posted:

One of the most frustrating things I noticed was that the way opacity works in photoshop is as follows: If you set your opacity to 40% and make one stroke, if you press down as hard as possible it will max out at 40% whereas a feather touch will give you 1%. As soon as you release the pen though, a second stroke at max pressure that overlaps with the first stroke will end up with 80% opacity. The problem with this is that if you're drawing a sphere, for example, and draw in the shadows with a lot of quick, curved strokes that you start pressing hard and gradually release. Every spot on your sphere where the strokes intersect, even if it's a very small area, will have double the opacity and essentially ruin the effect you are trying to create. You'll have a shadow of around 30% opacity with a lot of tiny little lines of 60% opacity.

This frustrated me a lot and I'm still figuring out how to adjust my mind around it. was used to drawing with a pen or charcoal, where filling in a huge plane required a lot of rapid movements. With a pen and hatching or pointillism, you needed even more rapid-movement of making a single line, lifting the pen, and repeating. It feels that if you want to have hatch lines or anything like that, you generally want to just disable opacity jitter and use either a fixed brush or enable size jitter to give some extra control. If you are using opacity jitter, you can adjust your brush size accordingly to avoid needing a lot of small strokes. Within each stroke you can use the pressure sensitivity to achieve some gradation. I think you're also better off making flow tied to opacity as well, though I haven't tested enough to know in which situations you would or wouldn't want this.

Don't work too hard to wrap your mind around that issue. Instead use Flow. Keep Opacity at 100% with no pressure control.

Flow controls the deposition of the color without affecting opacity. It will reduce that buildup of annoying overlap lines. It also helps to keep your master Flow on the options bar quite low, like between 1 and 20%.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Raenir Salazar posted:

After much faffing about I am back to using my Cintiq and making much progress, I'll post stuff once its closer to completion. In the meantime does anyone know how the crap in photoshop how to make comic book panels including irregular shapes like parallalagrams? And when using the shape tool is there a way to make an "empty" shape, so lines but no background to them?

I maked a Youtube about it

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

Sigma-X posted:

It looks like the cheapest place to buy it is going to be $2600 flat, free shipping. I'm in the US. It's frustrating how many places are sold out of this thing.

It took me almost six months to get mine.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

sigma 6 posted:

I bought an ergonomic arm in preparation for the cintiq. This one.

I believe it is the right one, but my friend tells me that it may not be strong enough. He has the same one and claims the cintiq is a little too heavy for it.
I bought it because of this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJZlLF3chxo

Thank you for the advice!

I also have this arm for my 21UX. That model juuuuuuust barely suits the weight capacity of the LX arm. As a result, you can't raise the screen anywhere you want in space, because it will sink back down. Like, see the fourth product photo on the Amazon page, where the woman in the cubicle is raising her screen up a little higher and it's suspended in mid-air by the arm? You can't do that with the Cintiq. If you raise it up in the air, it'll sink back down until the arm can't move anymore, or until the screen hits the table.

You can, however, adjust the central hub of the Ergotron arm to get a little bit of additional height. The rotation and pivot freedom is excellent.

All told, the ergonomics of using the Cintiq are still a little...weird. Getting the right relationship between chair height, screen height, screen angle, hand angle...it takes some doing.

I've had mine for about a year now, and while I don't regret buying it and it's completely indispensable to me now, it simply is not everything I hoped it might be. I've spent a lot of time deep in thought trying to figure out what precisely the shortcomings of all these technologies are. The fact remains that tactile feedback and proprioception provide even more subtle "grounding" to the process of drawing than I had ever previously thought. It's not just the "drawing on glass" problem (where the Intuos is far superior), it's also the issue of drawing on a fixed-size screen and zooming in/out. It really messes with the "feel" of where things are in space and their proportions.

Most of the decent-looking work people do is drawn on paper and then scanned and colored/finished digitally. Painting, retouching, compositing, color work, and lots of other things are really good on the Cintiq. Drawing on it sucks.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

sigma 6 posted:

Well, that's depressing. I wasn't planning on sending back the ergotron but now I have to give this more thought. Sounds like my friend was absolutely right. I was hoping to be able to use the cintiq standing or sitting. I have a standing workstation setup right now, so I was just going to clamp the ergotron to the high platform my other monitors are on and paint on it like an easel.

Sounds like it won't be able to hold itself in mid air. Crap. That is a big let down. That you tube video I posted shows the cintiq being held fairly high up before he brings it down to the desk and lap.

Yes, I had also hoped to use the Cintiq standing, as I also have a standing desk. You can put some supports under the screen at standing height, like a cardboard box, and thus it doesn't sink down when it's raised up.

Artist rendering

Be advised, however, that the way the stylus interacts with the screen is not conducive to this. Unlike a paintbrush, pencil, charcoal, or every other artist tool, the Wacom stylus only engages when its tip is pressed vertically. Yeah, yeah, there's "tilt sensitivity," but you just can't make marks when the thing is on its side. Holding the stylus perpendicular to the vertical screen is hell after a few minutes. You really have to tilt the screen so you can rest your hand on it, even if it's elevated at standing height.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

sigma 6 posted:

This pic is not true if you have the ergatron LX arm. I am incredibly happy with my ergatron arm and I can raise or lower it to standing or sitting position. It can rotate freely on just about any axis and extends pretty far. I was afraid that the weight would be too much for it but as long as you find the right screws to tighten, you can really pose the arm any way you want. Amazing to be able to spin my cintiq 360 degrees and extend it several feet up or down.

Best purchase I have made in years!

:psyduck: how do? I have the LX arm also. Where are you tightening it?!

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I have the desk mount version of the LX. I'm going to have to check and see if it has the same adjustment...
*edit: looks like it does. I will try this when I get back.

neonnoodle fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 15, 2012

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bairfanx posted:

So, for some reason I'm not able to download the trial version of Sketchbook Pro, but I hear good things. I don't really want to risk $60 on not liking it though, so do the goons have anything to say? Or anything about good drawing software at all? I apologize if there's a thread for it, I kind of assumed it would go with all the Wacom chat, but I didn't see anything in the first couple pages.

SBP is kind of lame in my opinion. The things it has going for it are speed and simplicity of interface. The interface gets out of the way and lets you use the whole screen to draw. However, the tools are underwhelming and there are limited options for image manipulation and editing.

If you have Windows, I would recommend spending that $60 on Paint Tool SAI, which is as fast as SBP if not faster, has a ton of customizability, and just feels really juicy to use. I can't explain it.

If you don't want to spend anything, look into MyPaint. It's open-source and just had a major update. It doesn't have much for image manip/editing either, but it's free and has some cool features like infinite canvas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx

bairfanx posted:

Actually, I just got a nice shiny Mac. And I'll never know how lame SBP is, it seems, as it says my OS is too new for it.

I suppose I should've mentioned that I was on a Mac first.
That's kinda rough, since there's very little choice for cheap/free drawing apps. CLIP Paint Lab is in the works, right now it's Japanese-only.

ArtRage has a Mac version and is relatively cheap. There is also a demo. Version 2 was a bit quicker than 3/3.5. It's marketed as a competitor to Corel Painter, but it's nowhere near as powerful and can end up looking kind of cheesy. However, if you stick to the basic drawing tools it can be good for sketching.