Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hey everyone,

My ancient (90s era) Entry level Wacom tablet (I think it was a Graphire 2) finally died out on me..and it's about time I sprung for a new one. It was adequate for using with Photoshop/Illustrator, but it never really had the level of control I liked.. I mostly used it with Open Canvas, which was okay, but I'd like to start working extensively on projects..

I've been considering a Cintiq..but they're expensive, and I'd like to know if the visual screen really gives you the bang for the buck..

So, what do you use? and is it worth it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Mind if I ask a few follow up questions? What do you use it for, and what programs do you use it with?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Thanks a lot Blowout, that's exactly the kind of info I am looking for... my Graphire 2 lasted forever, but I don't think they even continue the model anymore, and it'd be nicer to have a wider drawing area..

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Didi: Open Canvas is a great program to use the graphires with, as Blowout mentioned (I used my Graphire 2 with Open Canvas all the time and I loved it)...but really the best exercises are draw-draw-draw..

As for your issues with Illustrator (I've been wrestling with it lately) I'm having a similar problem..I tweaked the brush settings slightly, and told it not to stick..or just bruteforced my lines afterward with the arrow tool.. I'll probably try to pick up an Intuos later this year..

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

For whatever reason the Intuos 4 sizes are buried under Small Medium and Large

Medium is 48.5 square inches
Large is 102.5 square inches

Why they don't give proper dimensions is beyond me

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Anyone have any recommendations on where actually find an Intuos 3? They don't seem to manufacture it anymore (It looks like it's been replaced with the Intuos 4)..

Also..I'm considering the 6x8 over the 9x12... my old graphire 2 was 4x6, a bit small for me..anyone notice any difference with the larger sizes, or is 6x8 enough?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

RizieN, yeah Shame on me..stumbled upon it later, I was just looking at Amazon at the time..not the Wacom site. As for the 3v4 argument...

Anomalous Blowout posted:

If you decide to go with an Intuos, I strongly suggest buying an older Intuos3 rather than an Intuos4. The newest Intuos4 models have a heap of problems and tend to wear down very quickly. I know anecdotal evidence isn't the be-all end-all of that sort of thing, but literally every person I know who bought one ended up having problems. The drawing surface on them is extremely susceptible to permanent scratches even from its own stylus.

Maybe quality dropped from the 3 to the 4?

-Also, the 3s seem to be slightly more expensive and harder to find than the 4s..

The medium range seems to be pretty comparable between the two, so I'll probably get a 3 over the 4

hell astro course fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 3, 2010

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Well Flash is bundled with the Adobe Creative Suite packages, So get CS3 or CS4... I like the illustrator tool set more than the Flash drawing tool set, so I'd say start with Illustrator... The Flash tool set is fairly adequate depending on what you want to do, however.. Other than that, Flash is pretty straight forward for simple animations... Unfortunately I don't have any books to recommend..

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

anaaki posted:

e: Another question, what do you all find to be the best setup for digital art? I have used both Mac and PC just for leisurely use, never anything professional. But I found there were more programs available for PCs. I found my Mac froze/crashed less while working with programs open, but my Mac had by far the worst, unrecoverable, hard drive failure ever.

Use whatever you're more comfortable with....It doesn't really matter...
As for learning.. I find the best method is to roll up your sleeves and start playing with the tools yourself.. try something simple like a stick figure walk cycle and go from there..

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Yeah, why?

Anyone have any advice for adjusting an Intuos 3 for Illustrator..I find it has a high curve gradient..

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Update: I'm loving the intuos 3 so far...so much control!
Maybe I'll get a Cintiq one day... one day *sighs whistfully*

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Right now I'm using an Intous 3 6x8. I absolutely love it, I only wish it were bigger. I've been using it for half a year now. I'd say go for the 9x12 if you can afford it. If you go any bigger it might be unwieldy to use in your lap (which is how I draw.)I know a lot of people are weary of the Intuos 4 due to the wearing out of the nibs, but I haven't used a 4 yet, myself.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Wood Warder posted:

I mostly use it for colouring right now but my attempts at lineart with it... I get these weird problems with how I draw. I can't even draw a circle properly as it always comes out lopsided on the left.

I had the same problem at first, too. It all depends on what program you're using. You can usually tweak the settings, or set the stabilizer. I've been using Paint Tool Sai lately, which works absolutely wonderfully with tablets. Other than that, if you're having problems with line art, try zooming in a bunch, and messing with your pen settings until you find something you really like. Unfortunately there's no way around a lot of 'undo'.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Chedranian Girl posted:

Has anyone got any information on Wacom's Inkling? I'd never heard of it before today and I guess it's pretty new because I can't find any reviews. It looks awesome and it's not too pricey, but I'm not sure if I entirely trust it.

http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=9226&lang=en

Here's the Wacom promotional video on the inkling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXbBA1DRE84

It seems like a cool toy, and the portability of it would be great. However, I imagine the inability to 'undo' lines might be annoying (for those of us used to abusing the undo button). I guess it depends on how much you like physical media.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

punchdaily posted:

SAI isn't free. But for 60 dollars you could do a whole lot worse. I tried to buy it, but they didn't accept my paypal for whatever reason. Open Canvas 1.1 or 1.2 IS free though, and that lends itself to a pretty good line quality.

I can't recommend Paint Tool SAI enough. It's great for line art/drawn art, painting etc..(any serious effects and you'll probably want to go to PS). I'm currently using it, and it's a significant step up from Open Canvas, which is what I essentially learned on. Generally paypal should work fine.

hootimus posted:

I'm very much a novice in any kind of digital artwork, but I've been thinking about picking up a Wacom for sketching/painting and Zbrush sculpting. I read through the thread but I was still hoping to get some feedback on two things:

- In my neck of the woods I can really choose between the Intuos4 Small or the Medium. The tablet will probably be used mostly with a 24" LCD. Which size would you recommend?
- How about the nib situation? Is there any recent news, like maybe Wacom changed the surface so it doesn't eat up nibs so fast? Or should I be okay if I just recalibrate the sensitivity?

Thanks for your input...

In my opinion you'll want to go for the medium over the small. It just gives you a lot more room to work with...when you're already sinking several hundred dollars into a device, you might as well go for the larger size. Working on a tablet in general can feel a bit like surgery sometimes anyway...I've found the larger size really helps me.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

hootimus posted:

Hmm, I guess I'll have to sleep on it. Small is 250 and medium is 430 USD here. Ouch.

I'm not sure if you can order from Amazon, but they run about 100 dollars less USD for an Intuos 4 Medium. If you're not planning on getting super serious, or have a low price point, you may want to just consider going with a bamboo, if that's possible.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

slavedaeva posted:

My fiance is a teacher and has figured out the smart board program they use at his school is capable of "recording" his lessons. Keystrokes, line strokes, shape manipulation, etc. So rather than standing at the front of the class and writing during discussion he can be walking around the classroom making sure the kids are paying attention while the lesson "plays".

However, he has no mouse control skills so writing ends up being very MSPaint mangled. I suggested getting a tablet, but we don't really know much about them outside of internet reviews and what I've been reading here on SA.

He would be using it 2+ hours a day, mostly for writing as you would on a white board in a classroom and for basic shape manipulation like drawing and altering triangles. He's a math, physics and chemistry teacher, so it would need to be something that has enough sensitivity that he can both do basic algebraic equations and the more complex chemical reaction mechanisms. Most of what we've been reading is art based, which makes it hard to judge what would be best when using a tablet for writing. Note taking on a Cintiq does look nice, but seems overkill for just writing.

From what I can tell reading this thread we definitely don't want the bamboo. The stylist it comes with is rather fat and not comfortable for the amount of use it would get. We also don't need something as expansive as the Intuos, since no actual art is likely to be created. But I'm not really finding a middle ground in Wacom. We looked at the Genius tabs, but I read here about a ratio issue in the drivers and we have two vastly different screens between the laptop and PC this would be used on. Are there other brands out there that people have used and liked that didn't fall apart in a month?

Thank you!

I wouldn't rule out a bamboo yet. What you're describing is pretty much exactly what a bamboo is designed for, and wacom products generally tend to handle wear and tear pretty well. Outside of that, you're pretty much looking at off brands or tablet PCs, I think. All tablets take a little bet of getting used to, I think after a few hours of use the stylus shape would hardly be noticed anymore.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Cathis posted:

I am looking for a relatively inexpensive tablet for my thesis.
I need to draw numerous diagrams, that look semi-professional. I don't have the dexterity or hand control to draw with a mouse :(
I don't know much about drawing tablets, except that I need to be able to edit the items in Photoshop/Illustrator. There's such a HUGE array of products out there, with a widely varying range of prices, that I am kind of overwhelmed. Reading this thread sort of helped but I am not a professional or even hobbyist in any way, I just need to make pretty diagrams for my thesis.
Please help me!

Out of curiosity what kind of diagrams are you making? Are the shape tools in Illustrator not enough? I can't imagine a pen tablet would be too useful if you're mostly manipulating objects, and not doing anything freehand. Usually for things like diagram, if you set things like snap-to-grid and just work with lines it's usually enough. It might not be worth the investment at all..

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Beanpants posted:

I bought my brand new 21UX off of amazon around the holidays for $1999, but it looks like they're out of stock from amazon themselves and only have it from other sellers for at least $300 more than that. If you can bite the bullet, it is worth it though. It's changed my life completely in the short time I've had it. You might have extra luck by searching by their actual model numbers as opposed to just the shorthand "21 UX" and "24 HD" names they ship under. When I was shopping around, it didn't show up on amazon as a 21UX, but rather the Wacom DTK-2100, and it was down quite a bit in the search results below other sellers.

I tried both the 21 and the 24 before buying, and honestly the 24 isn't worth the extra cost. Widescreen doesn't mean poo poo to me as far as drawing goes, and losing the ability to manually rotate the screen is a big knock against it. I know they're going to phase out the 21's, but if you can get one, that's what I'd go for on both price and performance.

Out of curiosity how do you use your 21UX? Does it require its own stand? Desk prop etc? I've been thinking of saving up to get one of these things but I'm pretty used to drawing on my lap with a Intuos 3 medium.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

So, the Intuos 5s are out... I currently have an intuos 3, but unfortunately the USB cable has gotten loose somehow and I occasionally lose my connection to my computer, a super annoying thing. I'm thinking of purchasing an Intuos 5, has anyone had a chance to mess around with them? The pressure level is at 2048, which is a step up...does that have a significant impact on things?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

murk posted:

That is the one I bought and mentioned about 10 posts up. I bought it from monoprice though for $44. My kid toss the pen and screwed up the button on it. I contacted monoprice via email and with in 15 mins they had processed the replacement pen for shipping.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10841&cs_id=1084102&p_id=6814&seq=1&format=2

How does the tablet handle otherwise? It almost seems to be one of those 'too good to be true' sort of thing...after growing accustomed to wacom prices. Is it just a workable cheap alternative? Or does it compete well with the wacom tablets?

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Chroisman posted:

I am looking to get a tablet in the next week or so, but I really have no clue what I should get. I basically have the budget to get anything from the most basic of Bamboos to, at the most expensive, an Intuos 5 Medium touch (looking at their most recent products on their website).

I will be doing drawings and stuff (just as a hobby) for the time being, and if the tablet could have any applications or functions to make recording music smoother and easier, then it will also be used for that. I feel like while I'm new to the game and it might be a somewhat good idea to go for one of the most basic Bamboo models, I also want the capabilities to do more complicated things further down the track.

Could I please get a recommendation? I actually wanted to do something with it in the next week or two, so if anyone also has recommendations for where to get them that would ship quickly to Sydney at great prices, that would also be a massive help. Thanks in advance.

I recently upgraded to an Intuos 5 medium from my Intuos 3 that broke. The touch feature is really not that helpful in my opinion, and I'm not a fan of the new x-keys. I'd say definitely go with the Bamboo, the pressure levels match the old Intuos 3 as well. The extra sensitivity in the 5 is sort of nice but I've gone through like 3 nibs in 2 months.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I SAID LISTEN posted:

I'm looking to get a tablet as a gift for my girlfriend who's more artistically-inclined than I am but I don't know anything about tablets. I've looked through the thread a bit but I've had a hard time gleaning useful info. Can anyone recommend a tablet for art purposes, and what sort of software I'd need to get as well?

Depending on how much you want to spend, your options are basically the monoprice tablets, which people seem to be happy about, or a wacom bamboo tablet. As for software, that's going to be pretty pricey, I think some wacom tablets come bundled with Painter, but I'm not entirely sure if they still do that anymore. A lot of people use photoshop, and Paint Tool Sai is a pretty decent affordable option, it runs around 60 bucks or so. It really depends on what you want to do with it.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Otaku Alpha Male posted:

I had to send the yiynova back. I couldn't deal with the jitter, tried deinstalling drivers etc., even installed the yiynova on a different computer, nothing helped.

I'm thinking about getting the new Intuous 5 touch/intuos pro, but I'm hearing a lot of complaints about scratching the surface and heavy wear on the nibs (because the surface seems to be quite rough).

Wacom doesn't offer any protective cover sheets for this model. Does anyone know if you can use the sheets from the intuos 4 for this one?

Just buy a lot of nibs. There's no real way around it. The tablet comes with 5 nibs and some gimmick nib thingies, but I eventually just broke down and ordered like a bunch of nib packs off amazon. If you did a lot of work on an intuos 2 or 3, you never had to change the nib, but they also had half the pressure sensitivity. I've grown to actually like the intuos 5 nibs, but I've gone through something like 5-10 in the course of a year. I have pretty heavy use on my tablet though.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Mine has held up, all the scratching seems entirely superficial so far, I haven't gotten any performance issues. I did have a scratch in my old intuos 3 and yea it can be annoying.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

windex posted:

I think the best way to sum up the smudge thing is:

Its 32C outside. Humidity from June to September is >60%.

My apartment in Tokyo and everyone elses has single pane glass and is poorly insulated.

My little ceiling mount aircon can't even keep the office/living room at 28C (82F) when its set to 26C.

My work office is flat out set to 28C because of the CoolBiz bullshit.

People here sweat continiously for 4 months out of the year.

It doesn't even cool off at night.

Surfaces that smudge look like frosted glass after a short time due to all the skin oil deposited on them, to such a degree they sell ventilated waterproof gloves and palm covers for Surface users.

I use a hand glove thingie to draw with to avoid this problem. it works pretty well, actually. It's essentially a sock with a thumb hole, and a large single hole for my fingers. I also do not miss those muggy Japanese summers. I remember the whole Cool Biz campaign, I'm surprised they're still calling it that.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I learned almost exclusively to draw on a tablet, for whatever that's worth. There's no reason not to do both if you can.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I had a tablet crap out on me awhile back, way past its warranty, and they sent me a brand new intuos pro instead. I had to pay like a 'repair fee' but it was a pretty sweet deal over all. I've had some great experiences with the customer support people.

mutata posted:

Apple is probably last on the list of people I would like to compete with Wacom.

Yeah. Agreed. I don't see that ending well for any consumer.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

This is the same guy who traces 3d models to make Disney's Frozen Porn... so his PC probably needs way more thermal paste, if you follow. I'm not sure he's giving anyone sincere advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Krispy Kareem posted:

If all I've known is an Intuos4 (small size), would moving to a Yiynova 19 inch be that jarring of an experience? Just curious if anyone else has made a similar move. I love my Intuos, but the idea of a larger work area and the possibility of an articulating arm sounds great.

Also, how often do you guys change your nibs? I've never changed the ones on my two pens and they still look alright. I don't draw as much as I'd like to, but after 4 years I'm starting to wonder if I'm doing this right.

I change as necessary, I'd say I probably go through one or two a month, but just feel the tip and if your lines are coming out wonky, it's time to change. Your mileage may vary, of course.