Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Dolash posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but...

I know absolutely nothing about tablets - in fact, I'm not exactly sure what you use a tablet for. Do you draw something with a pencil then scan the drawing and draw over the lines using a tablet? Do you draw from scratch with the tablet? Do you do the whole drawing with the tablet, or do you draw something with it then import it into something else to draw over it?

I also have no idea what a good one is or what they can do or what they're compatible with.

All of that out of the way, I'm really quite curious about them and might even be interested in getting one. Could anyone brief me on the subject?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread/forum.

They're compatible with pretty much everything that uses a mouse :) Some people replace their mice with them, some people just use them for digital art in a painting program or whatever. There's no set way of doing stuff - you can scan stuff in or you can draw/paint something entirely from scratch. I've never scanned anything in - they're pretty natural to use, lovely to sketch with. They're also great (essential) to use with digital sculpting programs like Zbrush, Mudbox, Sculptris (which is free and super fun).

I have an Intuos4 but I used cheapo Genius tablets and a Wacom Graphire (Bamboo now?) with no problems at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Skogul posted:

mort-ception

Work says they'll compensate for the nibs so I can just do whatever it is I'm doing and keep at it, but I'm going to raise the pressure sensitivity while I'm at it like Synth suggested. This Intuos 5 honestly feels like you're scraping charcoal against newsprint and while that's a cool feeling I think I'm doing something wrong :

End of the Week Nib :

Mmhmm.

I had the same happen to me just as fast. I love the texture of the surface but drat, nibs just melted away. The surface wore down smooth after a few months and the nib wear stopped.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Phraggah posted:

Speaking of -- I've seen some comments online regarding Wacom Pen's nibs wear out after a short time, and that there's a new type of texture on the tablet parts which causes them to wear out faster, because of this some reccomend a protective cover for the thing or extra nibs. Has anyone found this to be true?

That was true for my Intuos 4. I loved the feel of that texture and enjoyed working on it but the trade off was nibs wearing down within weeks of daily use (as opposed to years). The texture on the surface wore down to a smooth finish before my nibs ran out so it wasn't too big a deal!

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Frown Town posted:

I was actually debating something like that to use with my Cintiq; I alternate between standing and sitting at work and dig the idea of strapping something like that to the Cintiq (instead of propping my keyboard on a cardboard box everytime I stand). Or I could just remember the pre-programmed hotkeys I've set up on the Cintiq but :effort:

I've been thinking about that too. It's such a pain having a full size keyboard on my lap when I use my Cintiq, especially when it falls off and clatters about. I can't get the hang of using the Cintiq buttons either. I do worry I'd have the same awful adjustment period with that thing too though.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

ACanofPepsi posted:

Well guy's it is called a Razer Nostromo, and it costs like loving $80. I found mine on sale for $45 but I have seen them as high as 79.99 because it's a Razer XXXtreme gamer thing. The customizing software is ugly but works really well and can store multiple profiles for different software. You can record macro's with it too but I haven't needed to do that. All in all it's a weird looking thing but if you can stomach the price it is pretty nice compared to the alternative of an external numpad with rebound keys. All the LED's can be turned off as well.

Oh, and that joystick looking thing isn't a trackball mouse or anything like that, it's a D-pad for binding the arrow keys to. I made it Undo/Redo though.

Yeah, I hate the idea of paying for all that gamer rubbish. I've seen a couple of USB numpads for laptops for £10 or so and googling suggests one of those + "Auto hotkey" would work.

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

Attack! posted:

So this is the first time I'm really trying to use my bamboo to do anything real, but I can't get straight lines in photoshop, there's always some miniscule amount of jitter in my lines unless I move really fast and I can't work that way. Do I need to switch to Illustrator, which I don't think I can afford, or is there some way to deal with it in photoshop? It's bad enough that I don't think I could ever consider sketching on the bamboo, ever.

EDIT: Alright I just read a bunch of the post above and jitter seems to be a really common problem. What are the main causes of it?

I wonder if the problem is with Photoshop and not your tablets. I had an awful problem with jitter in PS with my Cintiq until I bought the brush set called "Kyle's Ultimate Drawing Set". I don't know what it is about those brushes but they are amazing - such smooth lines in comparison to the ridiculous wobbly things I got before. It was like $5 so maybe worth a try? There must be something in PS brush settings that causes it but I'll be damned if I know what.

Note I didn't have any jitter problems with Manga Studio or ZBrush. Just PS.

Zvezda fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Oct 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zvezda
Dec 12, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hey I just wanted to pop in and ask a question. I've never used any kind of digital tablet as I could never get the "hand down here, eyes up here" coordination, and later when the Cintiqs came out, the price was astronomical to just blindly buy. Nonetheless, the past month I discovered ProCreate on the iPad, and have been loving delighted, so I was thinking about a Cintiq a bit more seriously. Fortunately it turned out that a friend of mine has one in her studio and so I was able to play around with it. What surprised me was how loving SLOW the action was. I'm talking about *here is the tip of my stylus* X         _____________ *here comes the line that I drew trailing behind*; and using it for painting was even slower. My question is this: does the speed of the Cintiq depend on the computer that it is tethered to? If I put it on a high-end PC would that lag be diminished, or is this an inherent trait of the Cintiq pad in general?

Edit: I also purchased the Hex3 Jaja stylus for use with ProCreate and god drat I'm in love with the combination.

I have a cintiq 24HD and use it with Photoshop CS5 on a decent PC (i5, 8gb ram, can't remember graphics card - was mid-high-end a couple of years ago) and don't notice any lag at all. Only if I am using a big, fancy brush on a large canvas - and that is my PC chugging, not input lag. The only weirdness I experience is if the pen isn't calibrated right and the cursor sits away from the pen tip at certain angles. That said, I work pretty fast and I don't think I watch the lines as they come out. I'll pay more attention next time I'm working at it and let you know.